g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WensleyMU

Odd how its fine to call leave MPs all names under the sun but as soon as someone makes a comment about the Scottish Nationalist theres suddenly a problem. The hypocrisy doesnt go unnoticed.

Baxter

Odd how its fine to call leave MPs all names under the sun but as soon as someone makes a comment about the Scottish Nationalist theres suddenly a problem. The hypocrisy doesnt go unnoticed.
The Scottish National Party, the third biggest in the Commons, sticking up for the interests of those who voted for them. Where is the hypocrisy?

WensleyMU

Last time I checked Scotland is still part of the United Kingdom
All other MP's manage to discuss it as a UK wide issue, including a number of SNP MP's.

Perhaps he needs a reminder that the Scots voted to remain in the UK, thus, this is a UK issue.

Simbo

Can someone explain how this vote to stop no deal will solve anything given May's deal is still the only one on the table and they've all rejected it loads already?
On the face of it, it just prevents the immediate crisis of leaving with no-deal on 31st Oct. However it doesn't prevent no-deal completely, we'll be in the same situation coming to the end of Jan.

However, i take from it 2 further points.
1. We'll have a general election before then, fair chance of a labour/libdem/etc coalition government which would likely bring a 2nd ref and possible end to the Brexit saga.
2. It moves the Brexit deadline to 31st Jan 2020, which crucially is after the date the EU implements its anti-money laundering laws on 10th Jan, which Britain has also promised to implement if still a member state on that day. Now the real forces behind pushing for no-deal brexit will do everything possible to stop that happening, but if there isn't a Tory/Brexit government, there's not much they can do and we might see a bit of fire go out of the Brexit movement.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
All other MP's manage to discuss it as a UK wide issue, including a number of SNP MP's.

Perhaps he needs a reminder that the Scots voted to remain in the UK, thus, this is a UK issue.
On a tagline of "Better Together", which the Tories later modified to "Nah Sod That Let's Wreck Everything And You're Coming Along For The Ride, Scotland".

Fluctuation0161

Or did they vote to remain in the EU by remaining in the UK? It seems you are missing some key deciding factors in their UK vote, which have now changed.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
This government is based entirely around the theory that Dominic Cummings is clever.

Not a revelation, just a thing worth remembering.

Smores

Neither does your idiocy. Call the SNP whatever names you like it's your bullshit people are opposed to.

The SNP are there to represent.....scotland. Funny how this representative democracy lark works

WensleyMU

On a tagline of "Better Together", which the Tories later modified to "Nah Sod That Let's Wreck Everything And You're Coming Along For The Ride, Scotland".
They did so knowing full well that the conservatives would likely win the 2015 Election, and had promised a referendum on our place in the EU.

And thats not even considering that Scotland would have left the EU when leaving the United Kingdom. The fantasy idea of just being let in, when others have to jump through various hoops was a pipe dream. Scotland would have been out of the EU.

@Fluctuation0161 as this is the response I would have given to your post also.

Classical Mechanic

Rees-Mogg says the bill will not deliver certainty on Brexit. It is nothing but “legislative legerdemain”, he says.

There it is, I’m afraid. Setting the stage that they won’t honour it, and will plow ahead with no deal...
Seemed to me he’s trying to goad them into a no confidence vote to force a GE, same as Boris, that was my interpretation of his waffle anyway.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If Johnson moves for an election and Labour refuse to allow it, what happens?

owlo

Bercow whilst being an attention seeking rogue, is still rather loveable. You always get the feeling he cares.

mancan92

Haha again being completely disingenuous with your argument. You know that Scotland voted to stay on the pretences that we stay in the EU yet here you are making a ridiculous straw man argument.

Come on you are smart enough to not make these sort of arguments.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
If Johnson moves for an election and Labour refuse to allow it, what happens?
Seen a few suggest that you can just put a motion down saying "notwithstanding the fixed-term parliament act, there will be an election on [blah]" which only needs a simple majority.

owlo

He could call for a vote of no confidence as that only requires a simple majority instead of 2/3rds of the house. Unsure how likely that is though. @owlo seems to be well clued up.
Nah, just guess work at this point... I think somebody in the media mentioned they may try to move it as a law with the election written into it for 14th to satisfy all sides if the 66% fails (and still only need a majority)

NinjaFletch

Seen a few suggest that you can just put a motion down saying "notwithstanding the fixed-term parliament act, there will be an election on [blah]" which only needs a simple majority.
Or repeal the fixed term Parliament act (which would probably be a good thing long term; it's a terrible bit of legislation).

Is the idea that Parliament calls an election actually anything more than a convention, though? I would not put it beyond Boris to simply seek to bypass Parliament in this situation.

owlo

I'd guess as soon as the A50 extension bill is passed labour will call a confidence motion in him anyway which will probably end in an election
This was my prediction here a few days ago, but I've no idea now really. Has to be an election soon anyway, they are 20 or more short of a majority now....

WensleyMU

Haha again being completely disingenuous with your argument. You know that Scotland voted to stay on the pretences that we stay in the EU yet here you are making a ridiculous straw man argument.

Come on you are smart enough to not make these sort of arguments.
The EU referendum was no secret, it was openly discussed by Cameron's government back in 2010, again in 2012 and in 2013, all before the Scottish referendum. The Scots, then voted to stay as part of the UK.

WensleyMU

So the Lords looking to put 90 amendments, requiring 2 votes on each, upwards of 90 hours.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
The EU referendum was no secret, it was openly discussed by Cameron's government back in 2010, again in 2012 and in 2013, all before the Scottish referendum. The Scots, then voted to stay as part of the UK.
Move over

owlo

I don't see why a group of tory backbenchers couldn't do it on their behalf
Only the official leader of the opposition can call a VoNC. Not sure if the government can also do so though.

RedChip

This government is based entirely around the theory that Dominic Cummings is clever.

Not a revelation, just a thing worth remembering.
Yeah, I am beginning to think he is a 'genuis' in the Jose sense: an ego maniac psycho who sometimes pulls off major results but as likely to implode as triumph.