Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
tl;dr: not enough certainty yet to be either bullish or bearish on GDP. Who would have thought that Corbyn becoming prime minister would cause a big spike in sterling eh? We've not even started campaigning yet.

Slightly more granularity:

- In the event of a 'loose alliance between libs/lab, they may be able to get some sort of government formed.
- Facebook campaigning from the conservatives will not be near as effective as last time. It's not 2016.
- A loose alliance between the brexit party and the conservatives will not be deciding
- The most interesting seats are ones in remain areas that pollsters have predicted as a narrow conservative majority. This GE will not be decided on traditional metrics
- Liquidity could be an issue for the next few weeks
Similar to what I think. My money is on a Labour/LibDem alliance to win. Tories will get trounced.

Also Facebook usage is dramatically down since 2016 and those remaining are very suspicious about any political messaging on there.

Drifter

American
Who is that person attacking his own party. Thought he was a Tory at first.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
What does the government defeat on Grieve motion mean?
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...assent-boris-johnson-parliament-politics-live

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...assent-boris-johnson-parliament-politics-live

That was Boris Johnson’s fourth main defeat in a Commons vote since he became prime minister. The other defeats were: on the Oliver Letwin motion allowing time for the Benn bill, on the Benn bill at second and third reading and on holding an early election. The final vote counted as a defeat, because Johnson did not get the required two-thirds majority, although technically he won, because more MPs voted in favour than against.

But what does it mean?

Humble addresses are considered binding on the government. This vote means the government is now obliged to release to the Commons:

1) all private messages sent between nine advisers, including Dominic Cummings, the prime minister’s de facto chief of staff, including text and WhatsApp messages and private emails, sent from 23 July relating to the prorogation of parliament.

2) all the documents prepared within Her Majesty’s government since 23 July 2019 relating to operation Yellowhammer and submitted to the cabinet or a cabinet committee.

The material is meant to be handed over by 11 September.

However, it does not seem likely that the government will comply. The Commons will not even by sitting on Wednesday. Michael Gove, the Cabinet Office minister, told MPs that some version of the Operation Yellowhammer document would be published anyway. But during the debate Geoffrey Cox, the attorney general, suggested that the government would not have the legal power to enforce the release of the messages even if it wanted to comply. (See 5.51pm.)

Last year Labour used the humble address mechanism to require the publication of the attorney general’s legal advice about the withdrawal agreement. The government initially ignored the request, and it only complied a month later when MPs passed another motion finding the government in contempt of parliament.

In this case no such contempt motion will be passed any time soon, because after tonight the Commons will not be sitting until 14 October.

And even if it were passed, a contempt motion on its own would not force Boris Johnson’s government to comply. Theresa May’s government did, but May respected the authority of parliament. Johnson’s administration seems much more contemptuous of it.

On other issues MPs and campaigners have threatened legal action, or gone to court, to ensure that Johnson complies with their wishes. But this vote is not a matter of legislation. It is a Commons procedural matter, and so it is hard to see on what basis the courts could intervene.
To summarise this: Grievous Borissy Harm

Smores

I missed the debate tonight but what the hell is this nonsense I'm reading from the AG and Gove about data privacy laws. Employees emails are not private and if they're using private channels for any of this then they deserve an even bigger kicking.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Worst government ever. Bunch of total cnuts

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Dominic Cummings “I don’t care if Northern Ireland falls into the fecking sea”

Infra-red

Johnson on his feet. More baiting of Corbyn. Hopefully Labour hold their nerve and send this bumbling twat, tail between his legs, off to Brussels to seek an extension.

Abizzz

Is Boris drunk? That way he leans forward all the time... lucky to have a table there.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Worth noting in so far as it highlights the point that the backstop won't go away once a no deal occurs. The Irish government have said that solving the NI issue will be a pre-condition of any EU/UK trade agreement and now a member of Varadkar's own party has been named as the EU's chief trade negotiator.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The smug look on the faces of the Tories is so annoying. cnuts.

stepic

If you really want to delay Brexit beyond October the 31st, which is what you seem to want to do, then vote for an election and let the people decide if they want a delay or not. And if you refuse to do that tonight, I will go to Brussels and negotiate our departure, hopefully with a deal, but without one if necessary. I will not ask for another delay.’

I mean, he does realise it’s now illegal to do this, right? What is the point of this statement.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Caroline Lucas MP:
This is parliament at its sickening worst

From Tory benches, the braying & bullying, the shouting & jeering is just disgusting

This isn’t a game - it’s about real people’s real lives, about the rule of law & about democracy

If you’re watching at home, I can only apologise.

Abizzz

Who do the tories think they are kidding? The people they should be negotiating with keep repeating that there are no serious negotiations or proposals, their ministers and pm aren't proposing anything in public and the civil servants say theres nothing happening.

What's wrong with the people who are buying this BS?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Whose this bloke that stood up talking now? He's very well spoken.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
What are the chances of Lib Dems doing pretty well now they’re outright backing revoke?

They have my vote and there must be millions who think the same as me.