Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raulduke

Dodds is the real power in the DUP - whatever he say's goes generally. Arlene is just the mouthpiece so if Dodd's is against it it's hard to see them going for it.

Suspect there is a lot of jostling for position being done for when Foster inevitably stands down in the coming weeks/months. Presumably Dodds and Donaldson are behind these briefings.

Raulduke

Well there we are then....

Edit: Well actually

Last edited:

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
The future of the UK and its economic prosperity in the hands of the DUP. How did it come to this?

diarm

I can't tell you how much I hate that the DUP are getting a platform from which to appear relevant in all of this. The idea of them getting paid off is abhorrent to me as well.

Surely there is a rock somewhere in the ocean between NI and Scotland we could cast them to and let them call it the New Northern Ireland?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I can't tell you how much I hate that the DUP are getting a platform from which to appear relevant in all of this. The idea of them getting paid off is abhorrent to me as well.

Surely there is a rock somewhere in the ocean between NI and Scotland we could cast them to and let them call it the New Northern Ireland?
We could just send them all to the Isle of Mann?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
This is all massive waste of time and energy as there is zero chance parliament will agree to anything that the fat oaf brings back.

Last edited:

Rooney24

This is all massive waste of time and energy as there is zero chance parliament will agree to anything the fat oaf brings back.
Which he well knows and will then pit himself against big bad parliament in a GE.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Which he well knows and will then pit himself against big bad parliament in a GE.
Am not sure how many will fall for that beyond leave no deal zealots

doubt that includes One Nation Tory voters who are the majority of the Tory vote bank

Last edited:

Honest John

And it will work because of the total intransigence of the opposition.

Obsessed with stopping no deal it won't be a good look if they are offered one and then vote it down.

They are best off backing the deal then fighting a GE on a domestic agenda.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
possibly - but I presume anything he brings back will be amendable - and they might agree and amendment?
Yes and as you outlined yesterday.

I'd be happy if that amendment was public verification via a 2nd referendum.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
The 2nd referendum ballot would basically be BJ Deal or another deal vs Revoke.

Outlined here by @sun_tzu
And as I've said yesterday, personally I dont see it happening as this is a deal no one would want, hence why Corbyn wants a GE so he can negotiate his own deal. This deal would fail Labours tests, so accepting it on the basis of a referendum where they hope remain wins would be risky, especially if the public said take it.

A general election will happen, if Torys win, itll be no deal or Boris's deal. If Labour win itll be a ref on their deal or remain and if Dems win its revoke.

If they have a referendum on this deal, one that not many MPs want, then if it gets through theyd be screwed. Unless they ignore the vote again and block it. It makes no sense as it's mainly Labour and Dems/Independents that want a referendum, so why put a bad deal that fails their tests to a vote??

Plus putting "another deal" on the ballot would be a nightmare, as it doesn't break the deadlock and means more voting down In parliament resulting in a 3rd ref demands

Honest John

The 2nd referendum ballot should be: BJ Deal or another deal vs Revoke.

Outlined here by @sun_tzu
Yes but that doesn't discuss what the questions would be on the second referendum. I am assuming that one possibility is an amendment would be voted on stating that if the deal was passed it would be put to a public vote.

If that amendment got through and the deal was passed what would be on the public vote ballot paper?

BJ's deal (as now passed by the house) or ???

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Yes but that doesn't discuss what the questions would be on the second referendum. I am assuming that one possibility is an amendment would be voted on stating that if the deal was passed it would be put to a public vote.

If that amendment got through and the deal was passed what would be on the public vote ballot paper?

BJ's deal (as now passed by the house) or ???
If tagged on to the boris deal I suspect it would be
the boris deal (whatever name it has) vs remain ... and I suspect that would be agreed with the electoral commission tasked with testing the exact wording of the question

stevoc

A direct quote from Sammy Wilson on Newstalk last week.

"The referendum was a UK wide referendum. Northern Ireland voting results are irrelevant"

Irrelevant.

From a man who is elected by the people of Northern Ireland
Even in a party thats full to the brim with cnuts Sammy Wilson still stands out. Quite the achievement.

Smores

If tagged on to the boris deal I suspect it would be
the boris deal (whatever name it has) vs remain ... and I suspect that would be agreed with the electoral commission tasked with testing the exact wording of the question
I'm sure Cummings has already discussed a way to prorogue the electoral commission and go with "Freedom for EU Tyranny vs Go against the will of the people".

Maticmaker

the boris deal (whatever name it has) vs remain ..
Not sure a second referendum will solve anything, especially as Swinson has already said she would reject another Leave vote!

However very much doubt the word remain will appear, it will be two options only, as the first one, with 'some deal' or 'no deal', possibly they might get to use the word revoke (referring to A50), the 'remain' option, as such, has already been rejected in the 2016 referendum. If they use the word 'remain' then they are effectively disavowing the first referendum result, without it being implemented. Dangerous road to travel with a country that has no written constitution and even worse has one that is based on precedence.

I'm not a lawyer but would envisage howls of protest from Leavers, followed by umpteen court cases, would definitely be staring at a 3rd referendum in due course.

This time they have to get the question worded right, and lawfully tested, before they ask the public...common sense you would think, but lets see!