Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Smores

I love that Moggs own amendment makes their own deal unlawful in the clearest of terms.

Obviously they'll make its repeal a part of any withdrawal act put forward but still it's magnificent in how much it shows them as two faced cnuts.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I love that Moggs own amendment makes their own deal unlawful in the clearest of terms.

Obviously they'll make its repeal a part of any withdrawal act put forward but still it's magnificent in how much it shows them as two faced cnuts.
Actually they might not... Because they might be stopped from presenting the bill to parliament at all
Mr Maugham tweeted: “I intend to lodge an immediate petition for an injunction in the Court of Session preventing the Government from placing the Withdrawal Agreement before Parliament for approval.

“We expect that petition to be lodged tomorrow and to be heard on Friday.
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/p...reaks-legislation-from-jacob-rees-mogg/16/10/

And without a bill to.present he has to follow the Benn act and request an extension... Or yet another court case

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Entire country being held to ransom by DUP who do not represent NI and seem intent on ruining any chance of NI not getting shafted by BREXIT. Wish Boris would just throw them under a bus and get over it.

lsd

The Oracle
What did people honestly expect with the DUP ? They are the biggest bunch of lunatics on the face of the planet . They make Trump supporters seem liberal and reasonable so they were always going go do this .

You are dealing with people who don't even represent their own supporters views on this . They say they don't want to be treated differently from the rest of the UK but that doesn't apply to gay rights or abortion among other topics .

They probably wanted Boris to make homosexuality illegal across the UK to support him on this

Last edited:

Rooney24

Entire country being held to ransom by DUP who do not represent NI and seem intent on ruining any chance of NI not getting shafted by BREXIT. Wish Boris would just throw them under a bus and get over it.
Fully agree. Unfortunately the only way he can truly throw them under the bus is with a Tory majority in the HOC. If he had it Im in no doubt he would absolutely do it.

Smores

One of the ERG think it was Jenkins on Sky News just throwing out nonsense unchallenged this morning. Apparently the idea that any custom border in ireland would cause things to blow up is an EU fiction and the EU are now just throwing out irrelevant new things like the VAT issue to kill any deal.

P.s i hate Kay Burley

Honest John

If the DUP scupper this, they will definitely lose seats in a GE - which will follow pretty soon.

At the very least they will no longer be needed to prop up the government and whatever deal is decided will be imposed on them.

If they have any sense they should compromise or they will end up having no say whatsoever.

But then....

Rooney24

From the BBC live text:
The DUP named three issues with Boris Johnson's proposals - customs, consent issues and VAT. But what exactly are their worries?

Customs
The DUP is digging in over the prospect of a customs border between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.
The new back-up arrangements that would kick in under Mr Johnson's proposals would effectively see Northern Ireland following EU rules much more closely than the rest of the UK.

Consent
One of the key things that the PM has proposed is a way of giving Northern Ireland communities a say on whether or not to continue those arrangements.
But what the DUP has an issue with is that the mechanism that has been negotiated would give the suspended Stormont Assembly a final vote on whether to keep these rules going.
The DUP's concern is that might then mean that nationalists could keep Northern Ireland more tied to the EU than they would want, indefinitely.

VAT
Another major issue in the PM's proposals is whether or not EU VAT rates would apply in Northern Ireland - something the DUP says remains unclear, despite hours of talks with the government over the last few days.
So let me understand this correctly. A Party called the DEMOCRATIC Unionist Party is concerned that a Democratic vote might take place on whether or not to continue with this proposal in the future or not?

Rooney24

If the DUP scupper this, they will definitely lose seats in a GE - which will follow pretty soon.

At the very least they will no longer be needed to prop up the government and whatever deal is decided will be imposed on them.

If they have any sense they should compromise or they will end up having no say whatsoever.

But then....
In a normal society yes. But NI voters dont vote that way. I would say its very unlikely they would lose seats. They would sell it to their support that they and they alone stood up for Northern Ireland. If anything they would gain. Its crazy.

Smores

From the BBC live text:

So let me understand this correctly. A Party called the DEMOCRATIC Unionist Party is concerned that a Democratic vote might take place on whether or not to continue with this proposal in the future or not?
No i think the concern is they're concerned that the nationalists can keep the assembly suspended blocking any vote and as such keeping them stuck in the arrangements.

I think.....only had the one coffee

Rooney24

No i think the concern is they're concerned that the nationalists can keep the assembly suspended blocking any vote and as such keeping them stuck in the arrangements.

I think.....only had the one coffee
It seems they want an outright Veto:

However, it is understood issues around securing the consent of Stormont to the new customs regime have become paramount.
The fear in the DUP is that under the simple majority vote required by the EU to ensure continued membership of the new customs arrangement, the unionist community would have no Veto.

Honest John

In a normal society yes. But NI voters dont vote that way. I would say its very unlikely they would lose seats. They would sell it to their support that they and they alone stood up for Northern Ireland. If anything they would gain. Its crazy.
Point taken but if BJ increases his majority on a People v Parliament ticket then the DUP will lose their say (and the backhanders) anyhow.
They need to war-game that one before chucking spanners in the works of these negotiations.
That will be twice they have fecked things up and this notion that 10 people are holding a nation of 60 million to ransom will gain lots of ground and not play well.
Whether they give a toss about that is debatable.
However, I think they do like the money. Cummings knows that too, so they may come round yet.

Last edited:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
From the BBC live text:

In reality this is the only thing they care about - they want a veto on the whole thing. DUP are self-serving bastards who only care about two things - money and power. They have no interest in serving their community.

Rooney24

Point taken but if BJ increases his majority on a People v Parliament ticket then the DUP will lose their say (and the backhanders) anyhow.
They need to war-game that one before chucking spanners in the works of these negotiations.
That will be twice they have fecked things up and this notion that 10 people are holding a nation of 60 million to ransom will gain lots of ground and not play well.
Whether they give a toss about that is debatable.
However, I think they do like the money. Cummings knows that too, so they may come round yet.
Yeah. Its seems more and more likely that a GE is the only way out of this thing where hopefully at the end the DUP become mere bystanders.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah. Its seems more and more likely that a GE is the only way out of this thing where hopefully at the end the DUP become mere bystanders.
If only we had an opposition that was in any way competent. But nooo it's a free run for the Conservatives despite this complete mess.

Rooney24

If only we had an opposition that was in any way competent. But nooo it's a free run for the Conservatives despite this complete mess.
Yeah. You know what though I think people are just completely exasperated at this point that even if (when) the Tories return a majority that at least the end would finally be in sight even if that meant No deal. At least all the squabbling would stop. Well it might not stop but it wouldnt be as important with a majority Government in place.

lsd

The Oracle
From the BBC live text:

You think the DUP believe in democracy ?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
It's Amazon and a few other sites. With the Sterling down the UK sites are the best value but if it goes up I'll probably have to look towards *shudder* France or Germany.
If you haven't already, give these guys a look: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/

Been quite a few years since I bought PC parts, but they used to be excellent and very cheap.

Raulduke

How comfortable will people in GB be if the DUP scupper a deal particularly in light of the fact that their decision making is being influenced by "consultations" they have been having in recent days with the UDA and UVF?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
How comfortable will people in GB be if the DUP scupper a deal particularly in light of the fact that their decision making is being influenced by "consultations" they have been having in recent days with the UDA and UVF?
I'd suggest most people in GB are completely unaware of that because it hasn't been highlighted in the media.

Raulduke

I'd suggest most people in GB are completely unaware of that because it hasn't been highlighted in the media.
Well if Johnson and Cummings are serious about putting pressure on the DUP to get the deal over the line the why not get their surrogates in the press to start talking about it?

Rooney24

Labour making noises about supporting this provided there is an amendment to it that allows a confirmatory Referendum.

That could make the DUP irrelevant in all of this. Where they should be.

Honest John

How much influence do the UDA and UVF still have? Although they aren't active as paramilitaries do they still wield influence over the community in terms of voting at elections?

Fully agreed. The entire country is being held to ransom over a footnote. Most in Britain forget NI is there at all, let alone an obscure political party that doesn't even hold a majority in it's own land.

It's ridiculous that they are being allowed to derail the whole thing.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Labour making noises about supporting this provided there is an amendment to it that allows a confirmatory Referendum.

That could make the DUP irrelevant in all of this. Where they should be.
The Tories would prefer an election to a second referendum. If that’s on the table, I think they’ll lose the vote, and extend article 50 to fight Boris’ ‘people vs. parliament’ election.

stepic

DUP ready to back the deal, apparently.

seems like if we got a deal alongside a remain option in a new referendum (so Labour also back the deal), that would be ideal. doubt that will happen though, would make too much sense.