Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Internal Market Bill published: https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/58-01/0177/20177.pdf

Important text:

Certain provisions to have effect notwithstanding inconsistency or incompatibility with international or other domestic law
45 Further provision related to sections 42 and 43 etc

(1)The following have effect notwithstanding any relevant international ordomestic law with which they may be incompatible or inconsistent—
(a)section 42;
(b)any regulations made under section 42(1);
(c)section 43;
(d)any regulations made under section 43(1);
(e)this section;
(f)any other provision of this Act so far as relating to the provisions in paragraphs (a) to (e)

Frosty

So as expected, the Bill allows a Minister to make secondary legislation to disapply the Withdrawal Agreement's provisions on customs arrangements between Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland and Great Britain, allows for the UK to disapply the state aid provisions found in the Withdrawal Agreement, and states that no dispute caused by these provisions can end up in EU courts.

Even though in the Withdrawal Agreement the UK agreed that any dispute over the WA would be adjudicated by the Court of Justice of the European Union.

What is more, clause 45(2)(a) states:

regulations under section 42(1) or 43(1) are not to be regarded asunlawful on the grounds of any incompatibility or inconsistency with relevant international or domestic law;
This is concerning, for the simple reason it sets the legal precedent that any statute law can be immune from challenge in the courts simply because Parliament wills it. It runs roughshod over judicial review. Although, perhaps that was the point?

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
So as expected, the Bill allows a Minister to make secondary legislation to disapply the Withdrawal Agreement's provisions on customs arrangements between Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland and Great Britain, allows for the UK to disapply the state aid provisions found in the Withdrawal Agreement, and states that no dispute caused by these provisions can end up in EU courts.

Even though in the Withdrawal Agreement the UK agreed that any dispute over the WA would be adjudicated by the Court of Justice of the European Union.

What is more, clause 45(2)(a) states:

This is concerning, for the simple reason it sets the legal precedent that any statute law can be immune from challenge in the courts simply because Parliament wills it. It runs roughshod over judicial review. Although, perhaps that was the point?
Very strange. Will all governments from now on just write at the end of each bill 'this is not to be regarded as unlawful'? Makes a mockery of the whole thing.

MikeUpNorth

feck knows what Ireland are supposed to do if the UK goes ahead with this stupid plan.

onemanarmy

Worst breakup ever.

I had completely forgotten this was still happening :lol: Hardly anything in the news for months and months.

Frosty

The UK is circling the drain, but will we drag Ireland down with us?
No, I don't think the EU would allow it. They would spend whatever is needed to secure the Irish economy for two reasons - one, to show smaller states that the Union is not going to be about what France and Germany want, and two - to secure the bonds between EU member states, and to show that the EU's longer-term security is more important than being bullied into a trade deal by the UK.

Maticmaker

here is no way the EU is going to allow the UK to access the single market with subsidised industries that can unfairly compete with their own
Agreed, but this already happens in the EU, e.g the dumping of steel by China.
Most countries support either directly or indirectly their various industries that allow them to keep what they see as 'vital' industries going, for all sorts of reasons; security, militarily, market presence, over production, technological benefits, etc. the so called level playing field is a myth, 'protectionism' is what it should be called out as. Until both sides in the Brexit debate begin to talk in straightforward language nothing will get decided, because in many case effectively they are talking to the back of the heads of the other side.

Morpheus 7

The lack of leadership and responsibility Boris and his cabinet take is shocking. It's such a mess, the future is so murky at the moment. The lack of clarity on future trade in Ireland worries me. It's not something that people should take lightly either. I never thought I would like a leader as much as Trump, Boris is a buffoon.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Most countries support either directly or indirectly their various industries that allow them to keep what they see as 'vital' industries going, for all sorts of reasons; security, militarily, market presence, over production, technological benefits, etc. the so called level playing field is a myth, 'protectionism' is what it should be called out as. Until both sides in the Brexit debate begin to talk in straightforward language nothing will get decided, because in many case effectively they are talking to the back of the heads of the other side.
So your example is with a country that doesn't have an FTA with the EU?

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
The UK is circling the drain, but will we drag Ireland down with us?
The EU will protect Ireland, the integrity of the single market is paramount. Ireland has 26 mates, I was finding it difficult to see how the UK functions post the transition period (even with some kind of deal) but if this transpires my circuits will have blown.

Smores

This doesn't really make sense as politics for an internal audience. You can only assume they're looking to force the EU into action that allows no deal to be presented as forced upon us.

Scrambling to save face in the midst of disaster.

JPRouve

Scout
The thing that I don't get is that, this move will make every other negotiations incredibly difficult. In general trade negotiations are long and tedious but here every other country will demand extra guarantees and protections because the UK can't be trusted.

MikeUpNorth

This doesn't really make sense as politics for an internal audience. You can only assume they're looking to force the EU into action that allows no deal to be presented as forced upon us.

Scrambling to save face in the midst of disaster.
I think it's more ill-conceived brinkmanship and trying to threaten a kind of mutually assured destruction if the EU don't agree to a FTA on the terms Britain wants.

Varadkar said today:

“I think going back to a year ago, certainly the strategy and behaviour of the British government was one of brinkmanship, was one of threatening to crash out, ‘if we don’t get an agreement we might go kamikaze on you’, that sort of thing.

“I kind of hope this is just another instalment of this, that the most benign assessment that this is brinkmanship, this is sabre rattling if we don’t get an FTA this is what we’ll do, that’s my benign interpretation and perhaps this is just part of the negotiating process in order to come to a free trade agreement with the EU, but I don’t think we can assume it’s that,” the Tánaiste said.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/pol...about-uk-s-intention-to-breach-deal-1.4350482
I can't see it helping the negotiations in the slightest.

Paul the Wolf

The EU introduced tariffs on a sudden excess of Chinese/Indonesian/Taiwanese steel imports between 2018 and 2019 as did the USA. The UK hardly uses state aid, they can use it in certain circumstances under EU and WTO rules. Brexiteers like WTO rules, if only they knew what they were.
Don't think the talks will go on much longer if UK pull this stunt.

MikeUpNorth

The EU will protect Ireland, the integrity of the single market is paramount. Ireland has 26 mates, I was finding it difficult to see how the UK functions post the transition period (even with some kind of deal) but if this transpires my circuits will have blown.
Protecting the integrity of the single market, while also protecting Ireland, will be a pretty difficult thing to achieve if the UK decides to go full rogue state and not implement the WA border or customs controls between the UK and NI.

JPRouve

Scout
Protecting the integrity of the single market, while also protecting Ireland, will be a pretty difficult thing to achieve if the UK decides to go full rogue state and not implement the WI border or customs controls between the UK and NI.
Do you think that NI could be the ones going rogue against Westminster? We have talked about it in the past and most irish thought that it wasn't an option but it has been 3-4 years now.

Paul the Wolf

Protecting the integrity of the single market, while also protecting Ireland, will be a pretty difficult thing to achieve if the UK decides to go full rogue state and not implement the WI border or customs controls between the UK and NI.
If the UK go full rogue state they will be paralysed, they need agreements to fly planes, move ships, road travel and so on. Brexiteers wanted to be self-sufficient.

Frosty

Protecting the integrity of the single market, while also protecting Ireland, will be a pretty difficult thing to achieve if the UK decides to go full rogue state and not implement the WA border or customs controls between the UK and NI.
Do you think that NI could be the ones going rogue against Westminster? We have talked about it in the past and most irish thought that it wasn't an option but it has been 3-4 years now.
If the UK go full rogue state they will be paralysed, they need agreements to fly planes, move ships, road travel and so on. Brexiteers wanted to be self-sufficient.
The EU will have powers under the WA to impose tariffs on UK imports and exports if the UK does not adhere to the Agreement.

I suspect that would be the way forward to try and bring the UK back into line with its international law commitments.

MikeUpNorth

As stupid and incomprehensible as it is, if I were the EU or Ireland, I wouldn't rule out the UK doing anything at this point and would be preparing for the worst. No matter how insane it might sound. We have morons in charge.

MikeUpNorth

The EU will have powers under the WA to impose tariffs on UK imports and exports if the UK does not adhere to the Agreement.

I suspect that would be the way forward to try and bring the UK back into line with its international law commitments.
Yes, I just don't see how they properly implement, collect or police those tariffs if there's an open border between NI, UK and EU.

JPRouve

Scout

But the point of the modification is surely to ignore that. At least that's the speculation that I made yesterday otherwise it's just a stupid move.

Paul the Wolf

As stupid and incomprehensible as it is, if I were the EU or Ireland, I wouldn't rule out the UK doing anything at this point and would be preparing for the worst. No matter how insane it might sound. We have morons in charge.
Yes for sure. Although they are protected from the real world with the transition period. Come next year the enthusiasm may have dampened a bit, the next few months could be a bit tricky with the lunatics running the asylum.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Honestly I have no idea. It was not only the sheer arrogance of him, but the smug look on his stupid face. Like we have all the cards and the EU will have to capitulate to our demands.
I guess the leaked EU cables in that Guardian article linked just before give the answer to one of the questions:

One of the EU Cables said:
The European commission fears the home secretary, Priti Patel, will attempt to go round Brussels and open side negotiations on internal security after inviting ministers from the five largest EU member states to a meeting in London on 22 September. Commission officials have asked the capitals to avoid agreeing to any British proposals that are made there. “We need to be clear that nothing can be decided in those fields subject to negotiation,” officials advised.
So they're out to create that division between the EU as a whole and its individual members. I suppose the comment about Barnier's position then also serves to undermine him rather than being based on anything real. That won't affect the EU delegation, since they appear to be seeing through the UK's strategy pretty well; so I guess this is simply all part of the Tories' media strategy to convince people in the UK that the EU is a mess, are acting in bad faith, and that therefore any problems coming out of all this are their fault.

Frosty

Yes, I just don't see how they properly implement, collect or police those tariffs if there's an open border between NI, UK and EU.
In practice, it will probably be targeted tariffs, focusing on goods which are not produced in Northern Ireland (of which there are a few). This would include high-value goods and services, possibly a lot focusing on the City of London, as well as goods like Stilton or North Sea fish which the UK values highly even if proportionately they are not worth a lot in trade terms. This would put the squeeze on the UK Government whilst leaving NI (hopefully) free of tariffs.

The UK had an overall trade deficit of -£72 billion with the EU in 2019. A surplus of £23 billion on trade in services was outweighed by a deficit of -£95 billion on trade in goods.

Collecting them would be straightforward - just do not allow any of those goods into the EU without the tariffs being paid.

The UK Government could try to circumvent this by moving all goods through NI, into Ireland and then on to the rest of the EU, but this would add greatly to the length of the supply chain and would impact businesses.

It would also be possible to impact the UK's services exports. Unlike goods trade, services are not restricted by tariff barriers and border checks. Instead, national regulations – on licensing, quotas, professional qualifications and immigration – decide when and how foreign providers are allowed to enter a market. Such non-tariff barriers (NTBs) are complex and hard to assess as they vary by sector and by activity. But there is nothing to prevent NTBs being set up.

Maticmaker

So your example is with a country that doesn't have an FTA with the EU?
I am simply pointing out that across the world all countries seek to protect what they see as their vital interests, including the EU and the UK. In most cases this amounts to protectionism of some kind for certain industries /services and the only way to try to create a so called level playing field is via some form of protectionism that stops others entering your market, whether that be on price, on quality, on health & safety whatever reasons, your level playing field only relates to those things you want it to relate to, and to those countries you want to do business with and its effectively a quid pro quo arrangement.

However in essence this is nothing new in various forms it has existed almost since the first trade deals were ever struck. A 'level playing field' implies some kind of 'fairness' exists, but only to those deemed eligible to enter 'the field' You ask some of the third world countries what they think about 'level playing fields'.

If you are a small country but relatively prosperous, say like Ireland, and already on the field, then clearly you would be mad to want to leave/alter the field . If however you are a large country, but impoverished and can't get on to the field, or even be allowed in some circumstances to approach the gate to the field, then you want to look to somewhere else to do business. This is where the UK will want to seek alternative business outside the EU, so why should it be a threat to the EU? The only reason being that the UK would now be perceived as a threat to the protectionism of EU, even when it would be dealing with countries who are currently, not even allowed to beg at the gates of the EU!

Abizzz

I honestly have no clue how Bojo expects any of the constituent member governments to belief any word he says even if he magically came up with anything they could team up against the other 26. If the consequences weren't so grave it would be amusing watching him make a fool of himself this pompously.

Frosty

But the point of the modification is surely to ignore that. At least that's the speculation that I made yesterday otherwise it's just a stupid move.
I cannot see anything in the Bill which would prevent the EU27 from imposing tariffs to UK goods due to the UK violating the WA. If tariffs are imposed and we ignore the tariffs then the EU27 can simply refuse to allow the goods to enter their jurisdiction.

The only changes I can make out in the Bill are to disapply customs arrangements between NI and GB, which the UK Government agreed must take place (in certain circumstances) back in January.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

From the same team that tried to rush through the bill in the first place.

Paul the Wolf

I cannot see anything in the Bill which would prevent the EU27 from imposing tariffs to UK goods due to the UK violating the WA. If tariffs are imposed and we ignore the tariffs then the EU27 can simply refuse to allow the goods to enter their jurisdiction.

The only changes I can make out in the Bill are to disapply customs arrangements between NI and GB, which the UK Government agreed must take place (in certain circumstances) back in January.
Tariffs are paid by the importer not the exporter . Johnson agreed to the Customs Border being in the Irish Sea, even if he didn't realise it and whatever happens now there has to be a customs border between the EU and the UK not only between Ireland and the UK but at all the other border points eg Dover.
If Johnson were insane enough to do this then the borders will be virtually sealed. Little would go in or out.