Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
True (and it’s an under-reported aspect of the Brexit vote) but a lot of Southern England outside London and Bristol would vote for a donkey with a blue rosette. it’s the fear of not regaining former Labour strongholds in the Midlands, North (and Wales maybe) that is causing an obviously intelligent man to deny 2+2=4.
But what is achieved by calling it out for what it is? Especially when you're in opposition too.

MoskvaRed

But what is achieved by calling it out for what it is? Especially when you're in opposition too.
I’m not expecting Labour to start calling people idiots but some leadership, some acknowledgement that Brexit is making things worse would be nice. Even Liz Truss has now been heard on that secret recording acknowledging that the whole Brexit/immigration issue was a simplification of problems with much deeper-lying causes (not that I agree with her laziness theory…).

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
I’m not expecting Labour to start calling people idiots but some leadership, some acknowledgement that Brexit is making things worse would be nice. Even Liz Truss has now been heard on that secret recording acknowledging that the whole Brexit/immigration issue was a simplification of problems with much deeper-lying causes (not that I agree with her laziness theory…).
It does get called out at times. Maybe not directly but ive defo seen it referenced on Prime Minister Questions in the past when referencing/debating different topics.

I think the problem is more the english politicians because it was mainly England/Wales that voted for it so they don't want to alienate potential voters. Scottish and NI politicians though are alot more direct and say it how it is.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Truss is told by an audience member that one of the major benefits of Brexit was meant to be free trade and is asked whether she is a free trader or a protectionist.

She replies she is a free trader and has “scars on my back” from battles in Whitehall to get the Australian deal through

The deal that isn't through yet.

Civil servants beg Liz Truss not to conclude such an awful deal. But she fought them off!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Of course Brexit was only to stop European immigrants to the UK.

But of course those rules don't apply to the Brits.

This is our actually our local airport and is a small sample of the hypocrisy.

You look young, Paul. Snitch!

Paul the Wolf

You look young, Paul. Snitch!
I do actually look younger than him. :angel:

He's a bit of a prat despite his pro-EU outlook.
If you listened to his related live broadcast which I did for fifteen minutes until he admitted, "Actually I have a Uk registered car but as I only drive about 5000km a year I didn't think it was worth registering it."

So he's driving an illegal car with no insurance, no registration, no MOT (Contrôle technique) near us, there are lots of other Brits who haven't registered their cars.
Cars are only a tip of the iceberg with the Brits who don't think the rules apply to them.

Before Brexit 75% of the cars in the car park were British. You notice on the video that these cars are parked on the side of the road which leads to the airport. It's a quiet road but to avoid paying the car park fees they leave them there. The police are very lax but starting to get fed up. Lots of crushed British cars soon.

MoskvaRed

I don't think I'll be around to see that. Neither side wants the other. Maybe when all the current youngsters on the Caf are old and frail.
Maybe but there could be some kind of EFTA halfway house before then. The tragedy of the last 6 years is that the British government (of whatever stripe) just had to kick the can down the road for another 10 years and let demographics take care of the problem. Instead, we’ve been royally fecked over by the last hoorah of the boomer generation who, brought up on WWII tales and poisoned by anti-EU propaganda , could never accept Britain in a partnership of nations, even one in which we had the best deal.

Paul the Wolf

Maybe but there could be some kind of EFTA halfway house before then. The tragedy of the last 6 years is that the British government (of whatever stripe) just had to kick the can down the road for another 10 years and let demographics take care of the problem. Instead, we’ve been royally fecked over by the last hoorah of the boomer generation who, brought up on WWII tales and poisoned by anti-EU propaganda , could never accept Britain in a partnership of nations, even one in which we had the best deal.
Sadly, I don't see it. The UK was in EFTA in 1960 but were left behind and had been dying to join the EC from the beginning. This 'member of the customs union' or 'member of the single market' was all the political talk in the UK not only by the Tories but by Labour as well. For a country the size of the UK, either they're in the EU entirely or they're not. There's no way they're going to partake in something and have no say or representation.

As for the boomer generation, I'm part of it and many people I know who were brought up on WW2 films and Westerns. Nasty Nazis and Red Indians. Those who can think for ourselves would not be swayed by the propaganda. Many people I know in the generation below are at least as gullible as some of us. My father who fought in WW2 would never have entertained leaving the EU.

I don't know what the answer is but Starmer's "Make Brexit Work" makes me cringe. Then trying to convince the EU that the UK won't start all over again would be a very hard task. Depressingly stupid mistake the UK made.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I do actually look younger than him. :angel:

He's a bit of a prat despite his pro-EU outlook.
If you listened to his related live broadcast which I did for fifteen minutes until he admitted, "Actually I have a Uk registered car but as I only drive about 5000km a year I didn't think it was worth registering it."

So he's driving an illegal car with no insurance, no registration, no MOT (Contrôle technique) near us, there are lots of other Brits who haven't registered their cars.
Cars are only a tip of the iceberg with the Brits who don't think the rules apply to them.

Before Brexit 75% of the cars in the car park were British. You notice on the video that these cars are parked on the side of the road which leads to the airport. It's a quiet road but to avoid paying the car park fees they leave them there. The police are very lax but starting to get fed up. Lots of crushed British cars soon.
That's the part that I don't get, they take big legal risk if they are caught.

Paul the Wolf

That's the part that I don't get, they take big legal risk if they are caught.
Some of them don't realise they are doing wrong. Some don't want the cost of registering their cars, changing headlights, registration documents etc amongst other things (VAT, duty letter of conformity from the manufacturer there are lots of things), it's quite an expensive process and half the cars are old cars which are worth little. When I moved here in 2007 I changed my car registration at the time straight away.
It wasn't legal even before Brexit not to register the car.

The other (or one of the other reasons) is that they would have to register the car at their French home address. Now, are they actually living in France legally with either a Carte de Séjour or have French nationality or are they living in their "holiday home" and have surpassed their 90/180 day allowance? Are they registered in the French system? Do they have health insurance? So many questions.

Are we swamped with illegal British immigrants? ;)