Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I saw this comment on the Guardian, didn't see the programme.:

The Labour rep was just as ingenuous. She thought
Brexit could "work" if we had a veterinary agreement with the EU (still won't avoid customs
costs) and a banking agreement (will never happen for UK banks when the UK is not in the
Single Market.)

I've heard this comment before from Starmer. If true,Starmer is still as clueless as he has been since 2016.

All hope abandon ye who enter here
Starmer is very clearly a flakey snakey politician. I wouldn’t put it past him to u-turn on a lot of his Brexit positions if he ever got into power.

The fact is that they would have a lot of public support these days. One of the reasons it’s impossible to have that discussion now is because there is 300 odd current Tory politicians who suck the air out of the public discussion and use it against him.

if Labour do get in as the polls suggest they will and the Tories are left with a small minority they will find it very difficult to own the narrative.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Starmer is very clearly a flakey snakey politician. I wouldn’t put it past him to u-turn on a lot of his Brexit positions if he ever got into power.

The fact is that they would have a lot of public support these days. One of the reasons it’s impossible to have that discussion now is because there is 300 odd current Tory politicians who suck the air out of the public discussion and use it against him.

if Labour do get in as the polls suggest they will and the Tories are left with a small minority they will find it very difficult to own the narrative.
Agree with this.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Were I in his position I would be saying exactly that same thing.
Because to say otherwise would be like giving the Tories a perfect Christmas present.
Every time he tried to say anything about any policy, they would immediately shove that back in his face. And he could never do anything without them saying 'There you go. He wants to overturn the Brexit referendum just like we always said he would'

But the next election is in two years time. During the next two years more legislation will come into place that will take the UK further away from the EU that will ultimately delay the time when the UK may join again even if it is at the earliest in twenty or thirty years time.

If the current opinion in the UK (or the opinion of the next two years) is that they regret Brexit why should Starmer pander to the minority. He should instead try to move the Uk closer back towards the EU.
If the current opinion is to carry on with Brexit and double down and pray for unicorns that everyone knows will never happen then carry on as he is currently.

If he has to lie like the Tories did to obtain power then you're no better off.

I don't see how Starmer will ever get the UK out of the hole they're still digging.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I am going to call-out Labour here. WTF is going on with them? You can tell the electorate wants to speak about this issue but our two parties pretend like nothing is happening.
Labour are in a bind because a huge swathe of their voters voted for Brexit, hence the battering they got last time out when Labour voters en masse switched sides on the promise of Brexit getting done.

As much as they can watch from the sidelines as the Tories eat themselves alive, it's not a good position to be in. They can't openly speak out about the damage and the chance of rejoining because the idiots who voted for Brexit will scream bloody murder at them.

But also, they're weak as shit.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Labour are in a bind because a huge swathe of their voters voted for Brexit, hence the battering they got last time out when Labour voters en masse switched sides on the promise of Brexit getting done.

As much as they can watch from the sidelines as the Tories eat themselves alive, it's not a good position to be in. They can't openly speak out about the damage and the chance of rejoining because the idiots who voted for Brexit will scream bloody murder at them.

But also, they're weak as shit.
I am not even saying lets rejoin. Thats political suicide. But no one is talking about the bullshit deal.

matherto

I am not even saying lets rejoin. Thats political suicide. But no one is talking about the bullshit deal.
Yeah but the sentiment is the same. Labour can't say a thing about Brexit because it triggers all their Brexit voters. They're in an impossible position on that front.

And you can well believe that even if those voters officially become recognised as a minority they'll be loud enough to keep every Labour MP quiet.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
But the next election is in two years time. During the next two years more legislation will come into place that will take the UK further away from the EU that will ultimately delay the time when the UK may join again even if it is at the earliest in twenty or thirty years time.

If the current opinion in the UK (or the opinion of the next two years) is that they regret Brexit why should Starmer pander to the minority. He should instead try to move the Uk closer back towards the EU.
If the current opinion is to carry on with Brexit and double down and pray for unicorns that everyone knows will never happen then carry on as he is currently.

If he has to lie like the Tories did to obtain power then you're no better off.

I don't see how Starmer will ever get the UK out of the hole they're still digging.
Two years is a long time away.
Starmer is not stupid.
He knows very well that the current strategy is all about posturing and positioning for the battle that is to come.
And he doesn't want to give Sunak any ammunition with which to beat him over the head with. That is why he is talking about reforming the House of Lords and stuff like that. Nothing that can stick.

He knows that things can turn on their heads very quickly. Especially now.
And he also knows that the opposition doesn't win an election. Governments lose them.
This is the time to keep your powder dry.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yeah but the sentiment is the same. Labour can't say a thing about Brexit because it triggers all their Brexit voters. They're in an impossible position on that front.

And you can well believe that even if those voters officially become recognised as a minority they'll be loud enough to keep every Labour MP quiet.
There was talk a few days ago about the UK adopting a Swiss style deal. That was clearly the government 'kite flying to test the water'
And Sunak was forced to shut it down almost immediately.
Any talk about Brexit is as toxic as Manchester United taking José Mourinho back. If not worse.
It is what it is. A hell of a mess. But the majority voted for it and so we are just going to have to take our medicine I am afraid.

matherto

There was talk a few days ago about the UK adopting a Swiss style deal. That was clearly the government 'kite flying to test the water'
And Sunak was forced to shut it down almost immediately.
Any talk about Brexit is as toxic as Manchester United taking José Mourinho back. If not worse.
It is what it is. A hell of a mess. But the majority voted for it and so we are just going to have to take our medicine I am afraid.
Legitimately banned from mentioning the B word in my house with my two suddenly Tory-voting Brexiteer parents. You'd think they'd be happy because they got what they voted for...

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Legitimately banned from mentioning the B word in my house with my two suddenly Tory-voting Brexiteer parents. You'd think they'd be happy because they got what they voted for...
Why. Aren't they happy about Brexit.
If not, tough sh1t.

Paul the Wolf

Oh well, you all may as well vote Tory again then huh?
No - you would hope to have someone to vote for who's got the backbone to stand up to the Tories, call out Brexit for the catastrophic disaster it is and not go along for the ride because he might upset some of the 17 million dildos who voted for the shambles.

There are 50 million other people in the UK. Who represents them?

Paul the Wolf

Two years is a long time away.
Starmer is not stupid.
He knows very well that the current strategy is all about posturing and positioning for the battle that is to come.
And he doesn't want to give Sunak any ammunition with which to beat him over the head with. That is why he is talking about reforming the House of Lords and stuff like that. Nothing that can stick.

He knows that things can turn on their heads very quickly. Especially now.
And he also knows that the opposition doesn't win an election. Governments lose them.
This is the time to keep your powder dry.
But all he's worried about are those that voted for Brexit. What about the rest of them.
I've said it before. If I was still living in the UK I would have nobody I could vote for. There must be millions of people who feel the same way.

I've never been convinced that Starmer isn't a political idiot nor that he was ever a true remainer.

With Sunak and Truss the Tories have reached the dregs of the barrel and that's saying something after Johnson. If Starmer could not outwit these two then there is little hope.

Say Starmer goes along with the "I'll make Brexit work" ridiculous slogan. Say he gets elected. Two years down the line, the UK is in considerably deeper trouble than they are now, what happens next? Brexit can never possibly work. His only chance is to cancel the legislation that has been implemented between now and the next election plus reversing all the catastrophic measures already in place. Even that won't be enough. So, at the next election he'll lose and the Tories will be in power for another twenty years.

Starmer is only interested in becoming PM. He has no interest in the good of the British people.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Labour will be in government in 2 years, brexit will still being shit. Tories will blame labour for not getting the best brexit they will win again and stay 20 years more in power blaming labour and the EU

matherto

It might only be semantics but I hate the 'we didn't vote for this' thing.

You voted for Brexit, this is Brexit. Whether you wanted something else in your perfect version of it is different to not voting for it.

crossy1686

career ending

You voted for Brexit, this is Brexit. Whether you wanted something else in your perfect version of it is different to not voting for it.
Yes but when you most the goalposts you can resolve yourself from all and any blame for being a bigoted twat in the first place. People who voted for Brexit thought all the foreigners were going to be sent home and everything would be amazing in the UK, because they firmly believed, thanks to years of propaganda, the only thing wrong with the UK was all the immigrants.

Paul the Wolf

They voted to leave the EU. They left the EU. Mission accomplished. They got exactly what they voted for.

Being too stupid to realise what the consequences of leaving the EU would be or believing the total lies and nonsense is purely down to them.

What is concerning is that they are still being fed the lies and nonsense and they are still believing it after all this time. The ability to think rationally seems to be completely absent.

Jericholyte2

The ONE THING we need to keep after Brexit…is our unelected bureaucrats who get to change our laws!!!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
They voted to leave the EU. They left the EU. Mission accomplished. They got exactly what they voted for.

Being too stupid to realise what the consequences of leaving the EU would be or believing the total lies and nonsense is purely down to them.

What is concerning is that they are still being fed the lies and nonsense and they are still believing it after all this time. The ability to think rationally seems to be completely absent.
Yes indeed.
We were all warned about the consequences of leaving the EU.
We were all told about the damage that would do to our economy.
We were all warned that leaving the EU would not stop immigration.
And we were all told that Boris promised £350m a week for the NHS was a total and absolute lie told by a compulsive liar who they then gave an 80 seat majority.....

Just under 50% had the mental capacity to understand that.
Just over 50% swallowed it hook line and sinker and thought that a small country like the UK could leave the world's largest trading block and somehow be better off.

Well here we are. Economy nosediving.
Immigration increasing.
NHS in its biggest crisis ever.
And not ONE SINGLE BENEFIT ON THE HORIZON.

crossy1686

career ending
Brexit. Labour are not offering any solution.
What's the solution? How can you offer a solution to something that's been completely fecked? Why is it Labours responsibility to offer a solution? Surely the people that are in charge of this whole thing are the ones that should be finding a solution? They're the ones in power.

Paul the Wolf

Yes indeed.
We were all warned about the consequences of leaving the EU.
We were all told about the damage that would do to our economy.
We were all warned that leaving the EU would not stop immigration.
And we were all told that Boris promised £350m a week for the NHS was a total and absolute lie told by a compulsive liar who they then gave an 80 seat majority.....

Just under 50% had the mental capacity to understand that.
Just over 50% swallowed it hook line and sinker and thought that a small country like the UK could leave the world's largest trading block and somehow be better off.

Well here we are. Economy nosediving.
Immigration increasing.
NHS in its biggest crisis ever.
And not ONE SINGLE BENEFIT ON THE HORIZON.

And it's not over. There's still the end of financial equivalence, the EES system due to come in next year. Then there's the removal of EU laws to come. Then there's the change of standards. End of grace periods where the full effect of Brexit is still to be felt.

Until the political parties admit that Brexit was a colossal mistake and start moving back in the other direction towards the EU it will get worse. Then they have to take the public with them.

The Tories are doubling down to make it much more difficult for the UK to rejoin in the future and Labour are going along with the charade saying that they can make Brexit work. There is no mechanism that allows the UK to function properly outside of the EU in the current world.

I say the EU because the talk of maybe being in the single market, or the customs union or a Swiss deal or other is really all nonsense as well. Either they are in the EU or not.

Last edited:

Adisa

What's the solution? How can you offer a solution to something that's been completely fecked? Why is it Labours responsibility to offer a solution? Surely the people that are in charge of this whole thing are the ones that should be finding a solution? They're the ones in power.
The onus is on the Tories to offer solutions but they are a lost cause. I like Starmer but I don't like him saying "Single Market is not an option". He is falling into the Teresa May trap of trying to construct the impossible. Be honest, Brexit is crap and needs to be renegotiated.

FireballXL5

The way forward is of course to rejoin the EU, but until an adult enters the room and begins that process we'll have to put up with shite like this...

Flawed EU settlement scheme could create illegal migrants says High Court

The UK scheme to settle millions of EU citizens risks creating illegal migrants overnight and is unlawful, the High Court has ruled.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64053696

Paul the Wolf

At the very least, we need to re-enter the Single Market.
The Uk has access to the single market. To be inside the single market you have to abide by the four freedoms. That alone will not stop the problem of the customs documentation and certifications etc. You would also need to be inside the EU Customs Union.

If the Uk were inside both they would effectively be in the EU without a vote or say in anything the EU does.

The only solution is to rejoin the EU ( for a country as big as the UK) and that is decades away but the sooner the process starts the sooner it might possibly happen.

However both the Tories and Labour are still taking the Uk further and further away.

Adisa

The Uk has access to the single market. To be inside the single market you have to abide by the four freedoms. That alone will not stop the problem of the customs documentation and certifications etc. You would also need to be inside the EU Customs Union.

If the Uk were inside both they would effectively be in the EU without a vote or say in anything the EU does.

The only solution is to rejoin the EU ( for a country as big as the UK) and that is decades away but the sooner the process starts the sooner it might possibly happen.

However both the Tories and Labour are still taking the Uk further and further away.
I am calling for us to be in both SM and CU. Rejoining the EU is politically impossible for a generation.
The lack of a vote is our punishment for a monumentally stupid decision.

Paul the Wolf

I am calling for us to be in both SM and CU. Rejoining the EU is politically impossible for a generation.
The lack of a vote is our punishment for a monumentally stupid decision.
But nobody is going to agree to that and that includes the EU as well as the British public. Being in the SM and CU without a vote would be even more politically impossible than being in the EU with a vote.

crossy1686

career ending
The onus is on the Tories to offer solutions but they are a lost cause. I like Starmer but I don't like him saying "Single Market is not an option". He is falling into the Teresa May trap of trying to construct the impossible. Be honest, Brexit is crap and needs to be renegotiated.
Brexit is more than crap, it’s a shit show. It’s a real life example of how effective propaganda and media brainwashing really is.

I haven’t followed the Labour Party or Starmer since I was last back in the UK but if the alternative is the Tories there’s only ever one clear winner for me.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay

The ONE THING we need to keep after Brexit…is our unelected bureaucrats who get to change our laws!!!
Good to see the Speaker abiding by the impartial nature of the office.

Nothing to do with the fact that he would get a seat in the Lords when he steps down? Absolutely nothing to do with the fact his dad is also a member of the House of Lords? Surely not.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Brexit is more than crap, it’s a shit show. It’s a real life example of how effective propaganda and media brainwashing really is.

I haven’t followed the Labour Party or Starmer since I was last back in the UK but if the alternative is the Tories there’s only ever one clear winner for me.
Imagine a flatulent dog that is scared of the sound of its own farts. Worse than that.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Neither the LibDems nor Labour have any clue either.

It's not about making Brexit work or having a better TCA deal.

It's Brexit, you've left the EU. The SM and CU are the problem. The UK has the best trade agreement with the EU of any other country.
https://news.sky.com/story/business...er-improving-trade-with-eu-bcc-warns-12772910

The penny has started to drop.
This is what we have as a result of leaving the EU.
Project Fear was correct and should have been listened too.
Get Brexit Done. Well we have been well and truly done by the mindless hoards who thought they could have their cake and eat it.

Paul the Wolf

https://news.sky.com/story/business...er-improving-trade-with-eu-bcc-warns-12772910

The penny has started to drop.
This is what we have as a result of leaving the EU.
Project Fear was correct and should have been listened too.
Get Brexit Done. Well we have been well and truly done by the mindless hoards who thought they could have their cake and eat it.
In the article you posted, you have the BCC still not understanding what the real problems are - they should do. Wittering on about a Norway deal. UK accepting four freedoms are they? and still not solving the documentation/customs problem.

It's so frustrating.
Maybe the penny is starting to drop that Brexit was a huge error but they're still not really understanding why. Especially people who should be understanding why.