Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Perhaps the UK have realised that if they import food that does not comply with EU standards, the UK's deal with the EU, will be f***ed.
Alternatively they could break international law and have it f***ed that way.
No problem for this Tory government

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
It's almost as if leaving was not a terribly good idea after all...

EU plan for medicine stockpile could worsen UK’s record shortages

Bloc plans to bulk-buy key drugs for all 27 countries, potentially leaving Britain ‘behind in the queue’

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2024/jan/25/eu-plan-medicine-stockpile-uk-record-shortages
95% of hospital pharmacists across Europe are experiencing medicine shortages

Stockpiling should be easy then

God knows where these headline writers make this shit up. EU can't stockpile what it doesn't have and we've had shortages for a few years.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
The UK stopped accepting ID cards . Most EU citizens do not possess one because they don't need one unless they travel outside the EU/Schengen. They are generally free and have all your information on them including fingerprints etc rather than pay around €100 for each member of the family for a passport.

Anyway all that did was reduce tourism and deliveries to the UK but is not directly connected to the further delays at Dover after this system has been introduced.
So the EU have long set about setting up a system, which the UK were part of developping, which monitors all the details of the person entering the EU/Schengen, criminal records, how long their stay has been etc, where they are staying etc. Of course, before Brexit, UK citizens had freedom of movement in the EU which they voted against and instead voted for this.

So to get into the system they have put all their details online first to get the visa which costs €7 I believe and then be photographed and fingerprinted at the point of entry in the EU.
There are many illegal British immigrants in the EU, who on the whole have overstayed the 90 days/180 days , some by years.

In most places the system will be manageable , at airports etc, but at bottlenecks like Dover it will be difficult, to say the least. The queues will be on the UK side, not so on the EU side, and thus is a major problem for the UK - which they voted for. So many things the electorate voted for without realising it.

31st January sees inspection of goods coming from the EU which has already been delayed numerous times. More cost and paperwork for the UK.

2024 will see more things to come and will be the start of the turning point where they finally realise the huge mistake they made. So far it's been "Well the sky hasn't fallen in - yet"
I never knew they accepted them in the first place!

First time I ever went thru Dover was on the way to Rotterdam in '91, with my brand new 1 year passport, the only time I showed it to anyone was at the OT ticket office when buying the package - not once to anyone on the trip, I've done a few Dover-Calais trips since then and TBH I don't recall ever showing a passport then either!

The US is heading towards a potential domestic issue with ID cards, for flying most folks use their Driving License, but from next year they will need a "Real ID" as the current ones are not deemed secure, most folks don't have one and the date for this has been pushed back several times as it is!

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I never knew they accepted them in the first place!

First time I ever went thru Dover was on the way to Rotterdam in '91, with my brand new 1 year passport, the only time I showed it to anyone was at the OT ticket office when buying the package - not once to anyone on the trip, I've done a few Dover-Calais trips since then and TBH I don't recall ever showing a passport then either!

The US is heading towards a potential domestic issue with ID cards, for flying most folks use their Driving License, but from next year they will need a "Real ID" as the current ones are not deemed secure, most folks don't have one and the date for this has been pushed back several times as it is!
When I lived in the UK I must have gone through Dover about 5 or more times a year, very rarely any delays, just waved through, there was no need.
All changed now and will get worse.
Now I have both French and British nationality I have a British passport which expires in 2 years (doubt I'll renew it) and a French ID card (no passport) and can travel, live and work anywhere in the EU .

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
When I lived in the UK I must have gone through Dover about 5 or more times a year, very rarely any delays, just waved through, there was no need.
All changed now and will get worse.
Now I have both French and British nationality I have a British passport which expires in 2 years (doubt I'll renew it) and a French ID card (no passport) and can travel, live and work anywhere in the EU .
I would to be on the safe side

I renewed my last one online from the US and the whole process was quick and easy, it took a grand total of 10 days or so which was well under the expected timeframe, that was in 2017 though so maigt be different now

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
We just got my son an Irish passport and ID card. What is the difference? ID card all you need within the EU and passport required for travel elsewhere?

We could have got him UK passport but the Irish one is so much more useful as it give access to the EU.

Abizzz

We just got my son an Irish passport and ID card. What is the difference? ID card all you need within the EU and passport required for travel elsewhere?

We could have got him UK passport but the Irish one is so much more useful as it give access to the EU.
As a rule of thumb passport for whenever he leaves the EU and ID card for within. I'm a dual citizen and never actually had a passport of my EU citizenship. Whenever I travel outside I travel with my other passport and inside with my ID card.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
As a rule of thumb passport for whenever he leaves the EU and ID card for within. I'm a dual citizen and never actually had a passport of my EU citizenship. Whenever I travel outside I travel with my other passport and inside with my ID card.
Thanks. Is the ID card enough to prove your right to work?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yep. He has both and it being an Eire passport he also has the right to work in the UK. Not that he is ever likely to want to.
If it’s what I’m thinking of then the ID card (passport card) is basically only useful for travelling to other EU countries, I think you can use it as a form of ID like a passport and driving license but you can’t get one without also having a full passport. You can also use it for travel to the Uk but I usually just bring my full passport cause sometimes at customs they have had no clue what it is and it confused them!

https://www.ireland.ie/en/dfa/passports/passport-card/

Thanks. Is the ID card enough to prove your right to work?
In theory yes in practice an employer will probably want to see the passport aswell. Not all ID cards are the same, some have restrictions on them.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
In theory yes in practice an employer will probably want to see the passport aswell. Not all ID cards are the same, some have restrictions on them.
My son was working in Greece. He needed some sort of pre-work visa to get in and then his club were going to then process the actual work visa. Once they heard he now had an Irish passport they stopped processing the work visa. No proof was requested. Then again he was never ever stopped at passport control in Greece? Going in or out, so probably not representative of the rest of the EU.

Last edited:

NWRed

Brexit Opportunities Minister? Surely that wasn't a real thing?
The most absurd thing about it was, after not being able to find any opportunities himself, he asked the sun and express readers to provide their own examples. He got over 2000 replies apparently and published the best 9, and when you read them it's obvious why they couldn't print a tenth.

No word of a lie, the list was

1) Allowing fracking, which we already controlled.
2) Getting more powerful vacuum cleaners, because we all want to waste electricity.
3) Removing regulations on GM crops so we could get them in our diet before we know whether they're safe. Probably makes sense if you're willing to vote for Brexit.
4) Removing limits on HGV driving times, because there just aren't enough accidents caused by tired and overworked lorry drivers.
5) Allowing more powerful batteries on pedal bikes, when the UK actually had and have stricter regulations than the EU anyway.
6) Shorten training for medical professionals. Quite honest of them to recognise that Brexit fecked the NHS tbh, and when the ambulance you called takes 4 days to arrive you won't care that the paramedic isn't properly trained.
7) Make it easier to exploit agency workers. Probably needed when you've stopped the supply of labour from europe.
8) Simplify holiday pay by changing it from 12.07%. Again, probably needed when when people were stupid enough to feck themselves over by voting for Brexit.
9) Reduce requirements for businesses to conduct fire testing on electrical equipment, because not enough people die in fires.

My son was working in Greece. He needed some sort of pre-work visa to get in and then his club were going to then process the actual work visa. Once they heard he now had an Irish passport they stopped processing the work visa. No proof was requested. Then again he was never ever stopped at passport control in Greece? Going in or out, so probably not representative of the rest of the EU.
There are no routine passport checks if you're travelling with the Schengen area and he won't need a visa to work if he has EU citizenship. Like I say though, in practice some places may still want to see a passport.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Balljy

So, a bacon & gammon shortage on its way. Luckily we've got more than enough of the latter already.

Paul the Wolf

All these things were known before the referendum but Brexiters ignored them or didn't understand and/or lied about them. It's clear even the reporters don't fully understand the full extent of this and other problems to come.

All you hear now from Brexiters is "it's the wrong type of Brexit" or "there should have been a better deal" or "it's not implemented properly" or "we need to renegotiate it".

No, this is what you voted for and there's much more to come.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Interesting that there are a shortage of vets to do the farmyard checks. In NL there is also a shortage of domestic vets but thats ok, UK vets have stepped in to eliviate the problem

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
The most absurd thing about it was, after not being able to find any opportunities himself, he asked the sun and express readers to provide their own examples. He got over 2000 replies apparently and published the best 9, and when you read them it's obvious why they couldn't print a tenth.

No word of a lie, the list was

1) Allowing fracking, which we already controlled.
2) Getting more powerful vacuum cleaners, because we all want to waste electricity.
3) Removing regulations on GM crops so we could get them in our diet before we know whether they're safe. Probably makes sense if you're willing to vote for Brexit.
4) Removing limits on HGV driving times, because there just aren't enough accidents caused by tired and overworked lorry drivers.
5) Allowing more powerful batteries on pedal bikes, when the UK actually had and have stricter regulations than the EU anyway.
6) Shorten training for medical professionals. Quite honest of them to recognise that Brexit fecked the NHS tbh, and when the ambulance you called takes 4 days to arrive you won't care that the paramedic isn't properly trained.
7) Make it easier to exploit agency workers. Probably needed when you've stopped the supply of labour from europe.
8) Simplify holiday pay by changing it from 12.07%. Again, probably needed when when people were stupid enough to feck themselves over by voting for Brexit.
9) Reduce requirements for businesses to conduct fire testing on electrical equipment, because not enough people die in fires.
10) The future season 5 of Blackadder that will eventually portrait all of this is going to be awesome.

Paul the Wolf

Andrea Leadsom has never had and never will have the first clue about international trade. Thick as sh!t! But people listen to her and her ilk and believe all the cr*p they come out with.

If only there were some reporters who had the knowledge to completely stop them spouting this nonsense for the last 8 years.

FireballXL5

Thing is, Brexit was never about trade deals or any of that other stuff, it was about immigration. That was it's raison d'etre. Just ask any Gary Gammon.

Paul the Wolf

Thing is, Brexit was never about trade deals or any of that other stuff, it was about immigration. That was it's raison d'etre. Just ask any Gary Gammon.

True, but because of Brexit, immigration will get higher.

Which sensible people would actually listen to all these Brexit idiots? Most of them should be behind bars.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Brexit used immigration as a crowbar to get racists to vote for the UK to release corporations from EU obligations.

Paul the Wolf

So the DUP may or may not have agreed to resume in Stormont. They have been offered something by the UK government which sounds like some internal law changing with nobody understanding what that is, especially Donaldson but not changing the Windsor framework or consulting the EU.
Hmm.

Last edited:

Paul the Wolf

UK Government have published the Command Paper re Northern Ireland.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/65ba3b7bee7d490013984a59/Command_Paper__1_.pdf

Managed to get to page 4 (out of 80) of "Safeguarding the Union" - and coming across Fig 1 with the smallest print possible
Fig 1: The privileges and obligations associated with Northern Ireland’s access to the EU Single Market is not comparable to jurisdictions which are members of the single market.

Struggled on to page 9 - gave up! Sobbing hysterically - not really.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant

Immigration was the decisive factor, which is why it should’ve been controlled much more than it was.

Governments can’t simply ignore rising public feeling about important issues. If they do then a backlash is inevitable.