Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Yes it trivialises genuine xenophobes such as Trump as everyone (well half the country) is being called racist anyways.
But then if these poeple aren't genuine racists (and I don't believe they are FYI) - then why would being called one make them want to vote for a genuine racist?

montpelier

What I Reckon

The 'no more brown people' is a bit of a bit of a lazy & unhelpful characterisation. I was brought up in 'one of these communities' (after we'd moved from Manchester). They hate everybody who isn't originally from there. Any outsider at all. Not a uique place by the looks & a persisting outlook. They perceive they get a raw deal when the ££££, facilities & opportuities are being handed out. But are at the front of the queue when cuts are needed. They have a point on this.

Don't give the silly twats a vote on something where a bit of consideration of the 'Big Picture' might be needed, ffs. Esp if The Big Picture stinks from where they are sat.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Will not happen. Europe already made that clear.
I hope they change their mind.

I rarely care about anything these days and even when I do care, I tend to let sarcasm rule over and turn things into a jab/joke (call it defensive mechanism or me being a cnut but that's how things work). However I am finding this issue particularly difficult to ignore.

I was raised in a family that was fiercely anglophile and I lived in Britain for enough time to consider this damn place as a second home. Seriously guys you deserve and you should expect better then this

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

I checked the raw polling data on this. Between ~20-50% of Leavers think feminism, the green movement, multiculturalism and LGBT rights are forces for ill

Of 6420 Leavers

- 47% multiculturalism = force for ill
- 23% feminism = force for ill
- 30% green movement = force for ill
- 37% LGBT rights = force for ill

Well done Britain

The UK Trumpites.

cyberman

I work in finance, we just had this email...

And now Morgan Stanley are denying the reports about the movement of their investment bankers. I think some people are just seeing doom and gloom and jumping the gun without allowing things to settle down.
Isn't this just a ploy to rally the troops? All of this is a few years away so they would hardly send an email saying everything is set fo disaster.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I work in finance, we just had this email...

And now Morgan Stanley are denying the reports about the movement of their investment bankers. I think some people are just seeing doom and gloom and jumping the gun without allowing things to settle down.
International companies are definitely going to leave London. How many is obviously pure speculation, but they will go. The likes of Frankfurt and Dublin and simply more logical choices for them now.

Bury Red

Backs Fergie, Yells Giggs!
Of course they are going to tell employees 'it's business as usual' to keep you focused and motivated.

No doubt in my mind that many organisations will be moving away from London.
Yeah our CEO just issued our don't panic statement to the markets so I can imagine him sidling slowly towards the last lifeboat right now. Can't blame him though, I've already had a word with the bosses about whether I'd be better for them in Belgium, France or the Netherlands, the only thing we really keep here in the UK is our stock listing and the board, everything tangible is produced in Europe.

AshfordLad

But then if these poeple aren't genuine racists (and I don't believe they are FYI) - then why would being called one make them want to vote for a genuine racist?
Because they think everyone including them are being called racist, so its probably the same for the likes of Trump. Kind of crying wolf thing.

Most people may not be racist but most people are Idiots.

Rudie

Mentary
Isn't this just a ploy to rally the troops? All of this is a few years away so they would hardly send an email saying everything is set fo disaster.
No actually, like I pointed out, most international companies operate without boarders and for some for whom the EU blocked international expansionism it may be advantageous.

Anyway, the point was, for those people who are hailing the apocalypse and acting as though this is the millennium bug mk. 2 obviously don't understand that businesses would have already conducted risk analysis for such an incident, many will be prepared.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
The higher the level of education, the higher the EU support - According the polls, university graduates were the most likely people to want to remain in the EU - while those with a GCSE or equivalent as their highest qualification were more likely to back Brexit.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Yeah our CEO just issued our don't panic statement to the markets so I can imagine him sidling slowly towards the last lifeboat right now. Can't blame him though, I've already had a word with the bosses about whether I'd be better for them in Belgium, France or the Netherlands, the only thing we really keep here in the UK is our stock listing and the board, everything tangible is produced in Europe.
Pick the Netherlands.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
i think it's fairly clear that anyone on the leave side, either campaigning or voting, has no idea of where we go now and little fecking clue of any consequence of this. the finger pointing and back tracking has already started and politicians are all just jostling for position within their parties rather than knuckling down and trying to sort the mess.
Tbh, this is a move without precedent. Nobody can be expected to have an idea as the dynamics are too variable to predict.

- EU will play hardball and that'll definitely screw up the brits big time.
- Sovereign credit ratings will get cut and that'll reduce investment.
- Other indirect political fallout from Nato, Gibraltar etc.

Either way, I think what everyone did not consider (or maybe considered and ignored/accepted) was that the in short term (5 years) UK will suffer from recession.

I do not envy Boris or whoever succeeds as PM now as they are going to roasted alive.

Manny

Grammar Police

I checked the raw polling data on this. Between ~20-50% of Leavers think feminism, the green movement, multiculturalism and LGBT rights are forces for ill

Of 6420 Leavers

- 47% multiculturalism = force for ill
- 23% feminism = force for ill
- 30% green movement = force for ill
- 37% LGBT rights = force for ill

Well done Britain

Not a the kind of place I want to live. Those thoughts on multiculturalism and immigration are worrying.

Carolina Red

Staff
The higher the level of education, the higher the EU support - According the polls, university graduates were the most likely people to want to remain in the EU - while those with a GCSE or equivalent as their highest qualification were more likely to back Brexit.
Oh, so it wasn't stereotyping after all. Hmm... how about that.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not to distract attention from your own problems but I've just heard a discussion on Irish radio come to the conclusion that Brexit is as bad a thing as could happen to Ireland short of the outbreak of war.

Thanks a bunch guys.

Cee90

No actually, like I pointed out, most international companies operate without boarders and for some for whom the EU blocked international expansionism it may be advantageous.

Anyway, the point was, for those people who are hailing the apocalypse and acting as though this is the millennium bug mk. 2 obviously don't understand that businesses would have already conducted risk analysis for such an incident, many will be prepared.
I'm not being a dick, but in many cases a business 'being prepared' for Brexit just means they are prepared to let a % of staff go.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Because they think everyone including them are being called racist, so its probably the same for the likes of Trump. Kind of crying wolf thing.

Most people may not be racist but most people are Idiots.
That's true.

Just worries me - I still like to think people are decent people, even if they are misguided / misinformed / worried about immigration / whatever... so I wouldn't like to think they'll pushed towards actual racism just because someone may suggest they are a racist (even though they're not).

... if that all makes sense.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I don't have a degree, so I buck the trend then, I voted to stay in.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
News already that Morgan Stanley are moving jobs out of UK to Scotland/Germany (which they are denying btw).

Siorac

What a surprise.

Manny

Grammar Police
Not to distract attention from your own problems but I've just heard a discussion on Irish radio come to the conclusion that Brexit is as bad a thing as could happen to Ireland short of the outbreak of war.

Thanks a bunch guys.
How?

Bury Red

Pick the Netherlands.
I would but for the fact that our office is in Arnhem which is hardly the most thrilling place and when we moved back to the UK from Asia it was partly to be near our daughter and our ageing parents. Bruges, Ghent or Lille would be my preferred options as they would only put us a couple of hours at most from our daughter in Kent and would not add too much to trips to see the folks.

itso 7

This.

The whole "democracy is great, as long as the result tips the way we want it to" vibe going on in here is strange to say the least.

Altso the ostracizing of elder people who voted leave. So, you are likely to die in the next 15 years? You shouldn't have the democratic right to vote then.
It isn't as simple as that, the implications of a decision such as this will be felt for far longer than 15 years so someone who isn't likely to be alive then shouldn't have an equal say to someone whose whole lifetime will be affected by this decision.

Bury Red

The peace treaty was reliant on freedom of travel between North and South and the enshrining of the ECHR into Irish law both sides of the border. Closing and remilitarising the border and pulling out of the ECHR would not be the wisest of moves.

Just spoke to one economist who is fairly upbeat- says no recession, BoE back stop and low rates/weak sterling combo will see us right. Struggling to be as upbeat as him though.
That's the situation in the markets right now though. If/when businesses start leaving, the BoE can only prop things up for so long.

Cee90

I would but for the fact that our office is in Arnhem which is hardly the most thrilling place and when we moved back to the UK from Asia it was partly to be near our daughter and our ageing parents. Bruges, Ghent or Lille would be my preferred options as they would only put us a couple of hours at most from our daughter in Kent and would not add too much to trips to see the folks.
Fair enough. Bruges is a lovely place, I lived in Brussels for a couple of years and would frequent there regularly.

If you're a beer drinker you're in for a treat too!