Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Revan

Assumptionman
We might need a Schengen Visa to visit the EU though... probably won't happen, but it is possible.
Every non-EU country that can visit Schenghen area without a visa, allow Schenghen people to allow that country without a visa in return.

No idea how this will work for UK, but it will be an irony if UK is forced to have free borders (for short term visits) from Schenghen area in order to safe its tourist industry.

Classical Mechanic

I work in finance, we just had this email...

And now Morgan Stanley are denying the reports about the movement of their investment bankers. I think some people are just seeing doom and gloom and jumping the gun without allowing things to settle down.
There is much hysteria. Thanks for posting.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13

And now Morgan Stanley are denying the reports about the movement of their investment bankers. I think some people are just seeing doom and gloom and jumping the gun without allowing things to settle down.
Of course they are going to tell employees 'it's business as usual' to keep you focused and motivated.

No doubt in my mind that many organisations will be moving away from London.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I won't be surprised if the UK trump decide to go to Brussels, get a couple of more concessions (cheaper hair spray?) and force another referendum
Will not happen. Europe already made that clear.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The same goes for any other expert. Doctors also have a lot to gain by prescribing you certain things, at least in the US. But the point stands, they made a mistake a few years ago, shit happens. Their opinion is still based on extensive education and extensive knowledge with an understanding of many underlying factors that you or I simply do not have. Anyone saying 'yeah but you can't trust experts then' is basically saying just let fate decide. There's no point in any of us going to University because being an expert on something is useless etc.

Many financial advisors also make their personal gains based on your personal gains. So the argument still doesn't make sense.
To be fair, I never said not to trust them. Just to remain sceptic because they might have a double agenda. And yes, a mortgage advisor will go bankrupt if he gives shitty advice all the time. The nuance here is probably having a business. I doubt a guy like Mishkin would care if you decided not to trust in his papers anymore because it's likely not to be his main source of income anyway.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Interest rates will very likely go up. Which in turn will have impact on the very people who voted for Brixit the most.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Well they're hardly going to send an email saying "Everybody panic, we're doomed!" are they?

It's only been a day, the reprocussions of this will still take a few weeks/months to settle.

My company (also in finance) sent a similar sort of email, but I've heard that the higher ups are more then a little worried.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Interest rates will very likely go up. Which in turn will have impact on the very people who voted for Brixit the most.
Not so sure. We will import inflation at some point with sterling so weak, but Carney said he'll 'do whatever it takes' to keep the economy on an even keel, which you'd imagine would involve keeping rates as low as possible for as long as possible.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Now Article 50 won't even be invoked until after October 2016 correct?

If correct it will still take around 2 years of negotiations to make the process happen, am I also right on that assumption?

If I have these two bits of information correct (apologies if I do not) then what are the chances that if things go tits up for the UK economy in the next year or so, that the public will become disillusioned with the way they voted and that the politicians might lose support to actually implement the referendum and the whole thing might turn out to have been a terrific waste of time, except for it perhaps finally putting the whole question of In or Out of the EU to bed?

Or I am just engaging in a bit of wishful thinking?

Annihilate Now!

Scout
This sort of stuff is what makes people vote for things like Brexit and Trump. Totally ignorant bs.
So people saying that worries about immigration translates to being against brown people... is completey ignorant and thus makes said offended people want to vote for someone who is actively against brown people?

Smores

This is what we've been hearing from our clients in the city for weeks. Some here read the doom and gloom and because they hate leave get enthusiastic and overly confident in the negatives.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München

Rudie

Mentary
Well they're hardly going to send an email saying "Everybody panic, we're doomed!" are they?

It's only been a day, the reprocussions of this will still take a few weeks/months to settle.

My company (also in finance) sent a similar sort of email, but I've heard that the higher ups are more then a little worried.
I guess it depends, most financial institutes will operate without boarders, which is basically how we operate; it's how international business is conducted. Perhaps the EU has always been a blocker to conducting business on a larger, international scale?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
This is what we've been hearing from our clients in the city for weeks. Some here read the doom and gloom and because they hate leave get enthusiastic and overly confident in the negatives.
no one sells their house whilst pointing out all it's faults to potential customers.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
Both Norway and Switzerland are year after year named two of the best countries to live in fwiw.
Also there are more people living in London alone than the whole of Switzerland for one. The economies of these countries are not the same and people need to stop making this reference.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
This is why it is important to have a well written constitution in a democracy, that can prevent rampant populism. I am starting to see a trend in not just Uk, but USA aswell that people are starting to use xenophobia, bigotry, and other form of intolerance as a motivating factor to vote rather than education. These same people are subject to emotional appeal and are often uneducated on the legislation they are voting on. Which as a result leads to a skewed voting result that favors the more passionate than what the majority really thinks.

Compulsory voting mandate may have prevented this outcome to happen, because of some of the turnout ratio in the remain camps. It also makes gives me a better understanding towards why USA has electoral college, super delegate and other weird shite. Nevertheless, the result of brexit is good news for me, so I can not be too bothered about it.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Without being facetious, what communities, and what concerns? And how does voting out of the EU address those concerns?
Former industrial towns in Wales and northern England, coastal regions whose fishing fleets have suffered over the years, rural communities who can't even get broadband internet from their Government, and areas of East London where immigration is high and housing short.

Fully Fledged

The company I work for sell 99% of it's products to the EU. We have long term contracts on most of the parts so they should be safe in the short term. The problem occurs with gaining new contracts and when current parts reach the end of their contracts.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
15-16million Britons are voted based on racism? Don't be daft. The geographical and socio-economic picture is far more revealing than these reactionary slights on voters. Communities had been left behind for too long, and their concerns ignored, they weren't going to sit idle forever. We've seen it with the rise of UKI;P and the Green,m the election of Corbyn to leader, and now this momentous referendum.
The younger out voters seem to have minimal other reasoning. Mostly chavs who can't wait to 'get rid of the turban-wearing wankers' (another genuine quote) or inexplicably want Britain to be Britain, which to me screams BNP-type influence.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Now Article 50 won't even be invoked until after October 2016 correct?

If correct it will still take around 2 years of negotiations to make the process happen, am I also right on that assumption?

If I have these two bits of information correct (apologies if I do not) then what are the chances that if things go tits up for the UK economy in the next year or so, that the public will become disillusioned with the way they voted and that the politicians might lose support to actually implement the referendum and the whole thing might turn out to have been a terrific waste of time, except for it perhaps finally putting the whole question of In or Out of the EU to bed?

Or I am just engaging in a bit of wishful thinking?
Wishful thinking. Out is out. In my view if the UK economy implodes, there will be political pressure from elements in EU countries to ensure the UK 'suffers' as an example for leaving, to shore up the Union.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

I checked the raw polling data on this. Between ~20-50% of Leavers think feminism, the green movement, multiculturalism and LGBT rights are forces for ill

Of 6420 Leavers

- 47% multiculturalism = force for ill
- 23% feminism = force for ill
- 30% green movement = force for ill
- 37% LGBT rights = force for ill

Well done Britain

At least 23 per cent have some sense.

AshfordLad

So people saying that worries about immigration translates to being against brown people... is completey ignorant and thus makes said offended people want to vote for someone who is actively against brown people?
Yes it trivialises genuine xenophobes such as Trump as everyone (well half the country) is being called racist anyways.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I guess it depends, most financial institutes will operate without boarders, which is basically how we operate; it's how international business is conducted. Perhaps the EU has always been a blocker to conducting business on a larger, international scale?
Yes and no... operating without borders is one thing, but we're not in a sitatuion where our financial sector will have a border of sorts erected between itself and it's biggest market... it just depends what that border actually is, as nobody really knows yet.

It's not crazy to suggest the EU states will want a financial centre within it's own community - as it will come with it's own savings and benefits for them - it largely depends on how much of a hit London takes and what kind of part it can play whilst being outside of the EU.

Also, the amount of foreign investment into our markets will take a big hit... nobody wants to invest into an uncertain market.

Siorac

Former industrial towns in Wales and northern England, coastal regions whose fishing fleets have suffered over the years, rural communities who can't even get broadband internet from their Government, and areas of East London where immigration is high and housing short.
So the successive governments of the United Kingdom ignored and failed these communities. Therefore, the solution is to leave the European Union and leave them entirely at the mercy of the government of the United Kingdom?

Gee Male

OK, so they are the particular communities in question. Have these communities articulated their concerns? Who have they elected to represent them, have some of the disenfranchised sought to run themselves to better their conditions? It is quite a wide range of communities quoted, so I assume their respective concerns differ from each other too?

And how does voting out of the EU help a former industrial town in Wales?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
This is why it is important to have a well written constitution in a democracy, that can prevent rampant populism. I am starting to see a trend in not just Uk, but USA aswell that people are starting to use xenophobia, bigotry, and other form of intolerance as a motivating factor to vote rather than education. These same people are subject to emotional appeal and are often uneducated on the legislation they are voting on. Which as a result leads to a skewed voting result that favors the more passionate than what the majority really thinks.

Compulsory voting mandate may have prevented this outcome to happen and perhaps now I understand why USA has electoral college, super delegate and other weird shite. Nevertheless, the result of brexit is good news for me, so I can not be too bothered about it.
Donald Trump has just said that we have taken out freedom back. It that doesn't prove we have cocked up, nothing does.