Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Of course there is a very strong argument that this whole thing was caused by horrendous mismanagement of investment banks by a small number of people in the city, and that there is something fairly disgusting about those same people pouring scorn on those who bailed them out.
There is equal blame on the now 50-60+ group who loaded the world up on debt with everything the banks could offer them. The same group who led this leave vote and have again risked all our futures.

The government will have to lift restrictions on the city on my view, the opposite of what they should be doing. Manufacturing and other industries will suffer and London as a financial centre will be needed more than ever to drag us through.

Fully Fledged

I hate fecking politicians,everywhere on the world they are all the same,scums.If you sold a story to people and now you taking everything back,you should be dealt with in GoT style.
There's an old joke.
How do you know a politician is lying?
Their lips are moving.

Revan

Assumptionman
If Blair, Brown and Cameron aren't simply not good enough, you can vote them out. If Juncker, Schulz and Tusk make an even bigger mess of it, there's nothing you can do about it. That's probably why they make an even bigger mess of it. It works like a dictatorship and it is a fundamentally antidemocratic institution.

The money is certainly an issue. There's bags of money available to woo national politicians and their parties and win them over for the big EU project of taking power from the national democracies and shift it to officials free from democratic control. The EU tries much harder to win politicians and parties over by making life easier for them than they try to win the people over for the 'European ideal'. To put it simply, there are personal rewards for beeing part of the ongoing federalisation. Brussels is a very warm bath for pro Eu politicians and civil servants. Great salaries, great expenses paid, great tax cuts, 20% discount on a new car from the industry (dieselgate anyone?), and for the 'elected' officials in the EP you could say that as soon as they arrive, a wall of money and business interests is build between them and their constituency. I'm not against good pay for officials, the flow of money certainly isn't neutral in respect to EU scepticism and EUphilia.

I'm not defending the level of campaigning by the exit side, but the EU is using a lot of our money for their propaganda and when it comes to lying and factual incorrectness, they are second to none. There really isn't that much that distincts the EU from a dictatorship, and the main one is that it's still in the process of grabbing absolute power bit by bit. To me the most shocking thing about this referendum is how little it was about democracy and how much it was about money. Of course democracy and money are natural enemies, but the remain camp seemed very willing to trade off a long and hard fought democracy for a couple of hundred pounds a year.

Credit to the voters who googled 'What is the EU?'. A simple question that is very difficult to answer. To me it seems odd that so many in the remain camp didn't want to aks that question and even ridiculed it.
If Cameron didn't want Tusk or co. there, Tusk and co. wouldn't be there. When you give the power to your politicians, you are also giving them the responsibility to choose the EU leaders. No EU leader can get that position without being supported by the leaders of Germany, France and UK.

And when you chose your members of EU parliament, you chose Nigel Farage. Who didn't bother to do his job there (but got payed for that). In return, you made him more powerful by voting for the lies (he needed a couple of hours to backtrack) he said.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If Juncker, Schulz and Tusk make an even bigger mess of it, there's nothing you can do about it.
But they are elected by the people we elected democratically that's the purpose of representative democracy.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
If Blair, Brown and Cameron aren't simply not good enough, you can vote them out. If Juncker, Schulz and Tusk make an even bigger mess of it, there's nothing you can do about it. That's probably why they make an even bigger mess of it. It works like a dictatorship and it is a fundamentally antidemocratic institution.

The money is certainly an issue. There's bags of money available to woo national politicians and their parties and win them over for the big EU project of taking power from the national democracies and shift it to officials free from democratic control. The EU tries much harder to win politicians and parties over by making life easier for them than they try to win the people over for the 'European ideal'. To put it simply, there are personal rewards for beeing part of the ongoing federalisation. Brussels is a very warm bath for pro Eu politicians and civil servants. Great salaries, great expenses paid, great tax cuts, 20% discount on a new car from the industry (dieselgate anyone?), and for the 'elected' officials in the EP you could say that as soon as they arrive, a wall of money and business interests is build between them and their constituency. I'm not against good pay for officials, the flow of money certainly isn't neutral in respect to EU scepticism and EUphilia.

I'm not defending the level of campaigning by the exit side, but the EU is using a lot of our money for their propaganda and when it comes to lying and factual incorrectness, they are second to none. There really isn't that much that distincts the EU from a dictatorship, and the main one is that it's still in the process of grabbing absolute power bit by bit. To me the most shocking thing about this referendum is how little it was about democracy and how much it was about money. Of course democracy and money are natural enemies, but the remain camp seemed very willing to trade off a long and hard fought democracy for a couple of hundred pounds a year.

Credit to the voters who googled 'What is the EU?'. A simple question that is very difficult to answer. To me it seems odd that so many in the remain camp didn't want to aks that question and even ridiculed it.
Credit to voters who googled 'What is the EU?' after they voted to leave it?

That's like googling "What is sex?" after cutting your dick off.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
So, the leave campaign admit they were living about the £350m NHS and stopping EU immigration. Grrrrrrreeeeaaaat, as if it was all just one big wind up!

Fully Fledged

I thought he'd hang on, like Corbyn seems to be doing, but ultimately it was right for Cameron to fall on his sword. You can't really have a Prime minister negotiating a deal for a reason he doesn't believe in.
We don't yet know who is going to be chosen, but whoever it is, he/she cant do a lot worse than Cameron.
BJ can. The man is a total Moron. He's the UK's version of Trump.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
[
Schulz as President of the EU parliament is democratically legitimated. Because in order to obtain said position you need to be a MP. The MPs are elected during the EU elections nobody usually cares for. :yawn:

Tusk is the president of the European Council. He is a representative figure with no voting rights in said council. The members of the European Council who hold the power are...The PMs of the EU members

Juncker is the President of the European Commission. Said person is elected by the EU Parliament(which gets elected by the people) for a term of 5 years. That falls in line with the voting interval for the EU Parliament itself, i.e. every EU election is followed by an election of the President of the Commission.

So much for that. As usual a great example for the vast array of superficial knowledge your average Brexit supporter has managed to acquire due to hard work and cognitive brilliance

Last edited:

Fully Fledged

You know that if UK gets the same deal as Norway/Switzerland, it will pay again as much money as it pays right now (in fact, slightly more), won't have any say in European parliament, and will have to accept the freedom of movement. While on the years that deal has to be agreed, a lot of companies will leave UK and the pound will go down. Neither of the money lost there (from pound inflation and companies leaving) will come back when the deal is agreed.

Good luck on getting a deal which is better than that. The Germans said quite clearly yesterday that it isn't going to happen. And good luck on having a good economy without free access to your biggest economical partner.
Exactly. The idea that people think that the EU will now submit to every demand we is laughable. If they were willing to make a deal they would have done it when Cameron went to renegotiate.
I think we will still pay in the £350m/week but not receive anything back. We will have free movement of worker and open boarders.
At the end of the day we are now negotiating from a far weaker position then we were before the Brexit vote.

If I was one of the 400 MP's who don't want to leave I'd vote this down when it comes to the Commons. You've got 2 ways at looking at the democratic side of it. Yes the country voted to leave the EU but the same country put these 400 MP's in power and gave them the right to Govern us.

JPRouve

Scout
Schulz as President of the EU parliament is democratically legitimated. Because in order to obtain said position you need to be a MP. The MPs are elected during the EU elections nobody usually cares for. :yawn:

Tusk is the president of the European Council. He is a representative figure with no voting rights in said council. The members of the European Council who hold the power are...The PMs of the EU members

Juncker is the President of the European Commission. Said person is elected by the EU Parliament(which gets elected by the people) for a term of 5 years. That falls in line with the voting interval for the EU Parliament itself, i.e. every EU election is followed by an election of the President of the Commission.

So much for that. As usual a great example for the vast array of superficial knowledge your average Brexit supporter has managed to acquire due to hard work and cognitive brilliance
Exactly, it's the most democratic institution that I know and for example Junker isn't elected at the simple majority but at the qualified majority by the council of the European Union.

Fener1907

Credit to the voters who googled 'What is the EU?'. A simple question that is very difficult to answer.
No it's not. And why would you get credit for that? If anything, they deserve to be slapped upside their head for the sheer simplicity of the question, as if they need it summarised in one sentence due to an inability to do any real research. Googling 'European Union' and clicking on the Wikipedia link gives you the answer. And if you're still a bit bamboozled after doing that, the argument doesn't mean much, because your lack of understanding about something doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong. It's more logical to assume that you just don't get it.

If Cameron didn't want Tusk or co. there, Tusk and co. wouldn't be there. When you give the power to your politicians, you are also giving them the responsibility to choose the EU leaders. No EU leader can get that position without being supported by the leaders of Germany, France and UK.
It's painfully sad how many people don't understand this. It's even worse when people then propagate their misinformation like they went and confirmed everything for themselves.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
But they are elected by the people we elected democratically that's the purpose of representative democracy.
No, the purpose of representative democracy is to give the people power over who governs them, not to take it away from them.

And when you chose your members of EU parliament, you chose Nigel Farage. Who didn't bother to do his job there (but got payed for that). In return, you made him more powerful by voting for the lies (he needed a couple of hours to backtrack) he said.
I didn't actually, but Farage did his job well enough to get the EU very busy with trying to silence him.

Credit to voters who googled 'What is the EU?' after they voted to leave it?

That's like googling "What is sex?" after cutting your dick off.
Fair point, but for reasons of hygiene, also after the act you might want to find out wether you've put your dick in an innocent virgin girl or in a ******'s addicted greedy ass.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Of course the issue we have now is that most of remain voters just have no interest or fight in making things work outside the EU, many will happily fold their arms, wait for the doomsday to happen, and and say I told you so, we need everyone to pull together now for a positive outcome, but I just can't see it happening.

If the vote was the other way around the outers would have got over things very quickly and life would have moved on, it's going to be tough enough if everyone pulls together, but without it you have to be a little fearful.
Should have factored that in before you voted leave.

cyberman

If the vote was the other way round then yes life would have moved on since nothing would have changed.
It's a bit harder to do when your country makes the most idiotic financial decision it could possibly make.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Exactly. The idea that people think that the EU will now submit to every demand we is laughable. If they were willing to make a deal they would have done it when Cameron went to renegotiate.
I think we will still pay in the £350m/week but not receive anything back. We will have free movement of worker and open boarders.
At the end of the day we are now negotiating from a far weaker position then we were before the Brexit vote.

If I was one of the 400 MP's who don't want to leave I'd vote this down when it comes to the Commons. You've got 2 ways at looking at the democratic side of it. Yes the country voted to leave the EU but the same country put these 400 MP's in power and gave them the right to Govern us.
And that will be the day we stop being a democratic society.

Whether you agree with it or not, the majority of the voting public have chosen to leave the EU. End of story. Finito!

If people don't want democracy they should go and live in North Korea.

Garethw

If the vote was the other way round then yes life would have moved on since nothing would have changed.
It's a bit harder to do when your country makes the most idiotic financial decision it could possibly make.
It's all ifs and buts at the moment. It may transpire that remaining would have been the most idiotic financial decision.

Fener1907

Whether you agree with it or not, the majority of the voting public have chosen to leave the EU. End of story. Finito!

True, mate! Democracy has won, hasn't it? Think Europe's going to try and have its way with us after we made our stand? What's this, 1941 again?

Go and kiss Kim Jong-un's feet, you anti-democratic peasants!

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Of course the issue we have now is that most of remain voters just have no interest or fight in making things work outside the EU, many will happily fold their arms, wait for the doomsday to happen, and and say I told you so, we need everyone to pull together now for a positive outcome, but I just can't see it happening.

If the vote was the other way around the outers would have got over things very quickly and life would have moved on, it's going to be tough enough if everyone pulls together, but without it you have to be a little fearful.
The leave voters potentially destroyed my future. They're on some pharmaceutical grade stuff if they expect me to happy about it and 'pull together' to fulfil their fantasy based on Boris's lies that half the country didn't want. And yes, people will say I told you so because it was so incredibly clear up front that it was a ridiculous decision where the negatives of doing it far far far outweigh the negatives of staying in. If we go into a recession and people suffer (look at the state of peoples pensions right now, their value has dropped massively) then they have every right to say I told you so to the people that ignored the voice of almost every. single. expert. on every issue that came up. They will have suffered for that. The issue is actually that if this happens and our economy goes to shit when the remainers do say 'I told you so' the leavers will dismiss it, refuse to take any responsibility or feel any guilt for the mess they created and will find a way to blame it on politicians - or better yet, immigrants.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

Tell me how democracy works with a Monarchy, House of Lords, and Rupert Murdoch owning ~70% of the media?

Garethw

True, mate! Democracy has won, hasn't it? Think Europe's going to try and have its way with us after we made our stand? What's this, 1941 again?

Go and kiss Kim Jong-un's feet, you anti-democratic peasants!
:D
Time will tell whether leaving the EU was the right or wrong thing. But What's the point of having millions of people vote, if the decision of the majority is systematically swept aside because it's not what the MP's were after?

Sounds like a dictatorship to me.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

You can say this is a democracy all you what however, there's a lot of people that didn't know what they were voting for and bought into the lies of the leave campaign. Many of the people that voted leave don't realise how negative this move is and it's perfectly possible that many regret their choice. I think if we did another referendum tomorrow remain would win with all the people that regret their vote changing to remain and all those that were over complacent also coming to vote.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Should have factored that in before you voted leave.
I wonder what exactly he expects the remain voters to do(I know it's just a lame tactic of making your opposition responsible for your very own brain fart)?

a) email-bomb Juncker *Give us our all-benefit-no-obligations-deal our great empire is rightfully entitled to already!!!*
b) conduct private diplomatic missions to the other 40ish contries outside the EU to spread the gospel of the rapture called free trade agreement with Ingurland:confused:

This almost worth a thread: If Brexit fails, it's on the apathy of the Remain voters. What do you expect them to contribute?

JPRouve

Scout
No, the purpose of representative democracy is to give the people power over who governs them, not to take it away from them.
It's not taking power away from them, they elected the decision makers.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
People seem to be getting hysterical. The financial markets are doing what they do best, panicking and selling off all our pension investments like rabbits caught in the headlights of an oncoming bicycle. Mainstream media are wheeling out the Brexiteers who wished they’d voted Remain instead. All two of them.
Perhaps we should have stayed in that vast bastion of financial probity, the EU. The same bureaucratic edifice that let Greece crumble, as they would any nation that dares to default on the unfathomable debts that have been foisted on taxpayers.
Perhaps we should have stayed in the Union that allows unelected bureaucrats to live like princes and thieves in their Brussels and once-a-month Strasbourg white elephant palaces.
Perhaps we should have stayed in the trading block that was about to suck us into TTIP, the reason Obama came here at the behest of his corporate paymasters to warn us that we would be last in the “queue” (??) for any trade deals with America if we Brexit. (Hopefully we’ll no longer be first in the “queue” when America is looking for partners in its illegal wars.) Under TTIP the NHS would not only have been privatised, multi-national corporations would have had a feeding frenzy over it. Canteens run by Monsanto anybody?
There were some serious omissions in the whole debate. There was no talk of a sustainable economy. It’s all growth growth growth. Blah blah blah. If we don’t stop raping the planet we’re all fecked.
Oh, and on immigration, just so you know, let them all in I say. The British government have played no small part in the turmoil in the middle-east. They’ve still got our sons and daughters out there in army fatigues, just more collateral casualties of the WMD lie. We should have the decency to take in the people we have helped displace.
There will be an EU 2, one that we the people will decide.
And think of this. Cameron’s going. Boris will get in. The blonde haired buffoon won’t stand a chance against Corbyn!

I didn't write that but thought it interesting and probably how I feel about it. The EU, a bunch of unelected by normal people toffs, top of the tree bosses making decisions for top of the tree bosses in the various countries, taking money for takings sake from each country just to be a part of the exclusive bullshit club that only ever will benefit the elite.

James O’Brien Tackles Brexit Campaigners Who Derided Mark Carney After EU Referendum Results Hit FTSE

Fully Fledged

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...k-carney_uk_576d26e7e4b0232d331dda31?kxz5b3xr

James O’Brien has launched a storming attack on people who voted in favour of Brexit for asking the Bank of England to steer the country through economic turmoil, despite ignoring warnings over a Leave vote from the bank’s governor.

The LBC presenter bemoaned those who backed ‘Leave’ on Thursday seeking advice and stability from Mark Carney, following claims from leading Brexit figures he was “biased“, untrustworthy and should resign.

Carney had warned that the UK voting to leave the EU would cause an economic shock; within hours of the historic vote, the pound had fallen to its lowest value in 31 years.

But speaking on Friday, O’Brien lamented: “You listen to Mark Carney, who some of us listened to last week - and last month, and the month before - and found him very persuasive.

AP
Carney previously warned Brexit would have hugely negative ramifications to the economy
“How do you square that today if you’re one of the people who has been persuaded that we should completely ignore the insights or inputs of the Bank of England - because his words this morning have been really reassuring.

“He is one of the few people seriously to try and set a course through these stormy waters.”

Carney and many other “experts” had been criticised by Brexiteer and justice secretary Michael Gove for offering their opinion and advice too much.

ASSOCIATED PRESS
Michael Gove claimed people had ‘had enough of experts’
Continuing on Friday, O’Brien said the watershed moment in the referendum campaign came this morning when Carney warned Brexit posed “the most significant near-term risk” to the economy.

The LBC radio host explained: “The man who will probably be Prime Minister by Christmas has spent the last eight weeks telling us to disregard the insights and the expertise of men like Mark Carney.

“That for me would be a moment to really stop and wonder what the hell we’ve done because who do we turn to now for economic guidance and economic advice?

LBC
O’Brien wondered who Brexiters would turn to to steer them through Brexit’s volatile effect on the economy after rubbishing Carney’s advice in the campaign
“Who do we turn to for economic projections and economic policy? We turn to the governor of the Bank of England.

“But we live in a country where a referendum has just been won by people who told us that experts wren’t to be trusted but also that the governor of the Bank of England was biased.”

O’Brien repeated the line in a post on Twitter on Friday morning as the last ballots were counted and a ‘Leave’ win was officially confirmed.

I would like to be reassured by Mark Carney's words but can't help noting that the people who'll be in charge by Xmas told me not trust him.

The country woke up this morning to news that Britain is no longer the fifth biggest economy in the world. The country had fallen behind France after huge currency depreciation following a Brexit win.

The dramatic result wiped £122 billion of the value of the FTSE 100 within minutes - it dropped to 5,788.74 just after opening, a dramatic fall of more than 8%.

The pound has plummeted to a low not seen since 1985.
Good piece.

Adisa

I wonder what exactly he expects the remain voters to do(I know it's just a lame tactic of making your opposition responsible for your very own brain fart)?

a) email-bomb Juncker *Give us our all-benefit-no-obligations-deal our great empire is rightfully entitled to already!!!*
b) conduct private diplomatic missions to the other 40ish contries outside the EU to spread the gospel of the rapture called free trade agreement with Ingurland:confused:

This almost worth a thread: If Brexit fails, it's on the apathy of the Remain voters. What do you expect them to contribute?
The sad part, the people with experience negotiating deals and experience in government, vast majority of them voted for remain.
They're now the ones responsible for getting us out of this shite.

Classical Mechanic

Article 50 has also just become the greatest negotiation tool ever invented. The EU has stated they will only conclude trade agreements once Britain is out, which is why they just requested we invoke article 50 ASAP so they can get on with the mammoth negotiations with the USA and get the deal finished. We can delay invoking for as long as we want.
Interesting point.

By that measure we have a very strong starting negotiating point. It also explains the hysterical reactions from the EU leaders yesterday. That said, since when has the EU cared about democracy or due process when it doesn't suit them? Expect Article 51 to appear by next week.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
People seem to be getting hysterical. The financial markets are doing what they do best, panicking and selling off all our pension investments like rabbits caught in the headlights of an oncoming bicycle. Mainstream media are wheeling out the Brexiteers who wished they’d voted Remain instead. All two of them.
Perhaps we should have stayed in that vast bastion of financial probity, the EU. The same bureaucratic edifice that let Greece crumble, as they would any nation that dares to default on the unfathomable debts that have been foisted on taxpayers.
Perhaps we should have stayed in the Union that allows unelected bureaucrats to live like princes and thieves in their Brussels and once-a-month Strasbourg white elephant palaces.
Perhaps we should have stayed in the trading block that was about to suck us into TTIP, the reason Obama came here at the behest of his corporate paymasters to warn us that we would be last in the “queue” (??) for any trade deals with America if we Brexit. (Hopefully we’ll no longer be first in the “queue” when America is looking for partners in its illegal wars.) Under TTIP the NHS would not only have been privatised, multi-national corporations would have had a feeding frenzy over it. Canteens run by Monsanto anybody?
There were some serious omissions in the whole debate. There was no talk of a sustainable economy. It’s all growth growth growth. Blah blah blah. If we don’t stop raping the planet we’re all fecked.
Oh, and on immigration, just so you know, let them all in I say. The British government have played no small part in the turmoil in the middle-east. They’ve still got our sons and daughters out there in army fatigues, just more collateral casualties of the WMD lie. We should have the decency to take in the people we have helped displace.
There will be an EU 2, one that we the people will decide.
And think of this. Cameron’s going. Boris will get in. The blonde haired buffoon won’t stand a chance against Corbyn!

I didn't write that but thought it interesting and probably how I feel about it. The EU, a bunch of unelected by normal people toffs, top of the tree bosses making decisions for top of the tree bosses in the various countries, taking money for takings sake from each country just to be a part of the exclusive bullshit club that only ever will benefit the elite.
Your post is fuelled by things that just aren't true. The people in the EU are elected. The NHS will be privatised under Boris and Gove, they are both in record as being in favour of it. We have an unelected house of Lords and head of state. Nobody seems to care about that. The potential negative consequences of leaving are far more concerning than the things you can come up with regarding the EU.

Fener1907

:D
Time will tell whether leaving the EU was the right or wrong thing. But What's the point of having millions of people vote, if the decision of the majority is systematically swept aside because it's not what the MP's were after?

Sounds like a dictatorship to me.
You've never lived under a dictator, then, so I'll assure you that Britain is far from being one.

Like I said elsewhere, when your capital (the financial capital of the world) and a disenchanted member state went the opposite way, it's not a United Kingdom exiting the EU, it's a potential clusterfeck, especially since the latter will push hard for a referendum that defeats the purpose of breaking away to begin with - to become a stronger nation that forges its own path. If you can spin a Scotland breakaway as being positive, give it a go. Right now, however, people are understandably concerned that this puts the union at risk once again. Just one of what I'm sure are many reservations.

Garethw

Tell me how democracy works with a Monarchy, House of Lords, and Rupert Murdoch owning ~70% of the media?
Every single eligible individual in this country had the opportunity to vote on Thursday.

The monarchy shouldn't even be mentioned in this conversation as they are virtually irrelevant from a decision making point of view.

The House of Lords wanted to remain but despite this the country is leaving the EU. The people voted against them. So again not relevant.

The media are influential, but from my experience have been very pro remain.

Rightly or wrongly the majority of the people in this country have voted to leave.
We are leaving the EU despite the objections of pretty every senior politician in the country. Surely that is the very definition of a democratic society?

Fully Fledged

They are democratically elected. We voted them in to make decisions for us.

Adisa

Interesting point.

By that measure we have a very strong starting negotiating point. It also explains the hysterical reactions from the EU leaders yesterday. That said, since when has the EU cared about democracy or due process when it doesn't suit them? Expect Article 51 to appear by next week.
The only problem with that, is that delaying article 50 for as long as we want, hurts our economy more.

Leave campaigner Nigel Evans denies immigration will fall

NinjaFletch

Leave campaigner Nigel Evans has denied immigration will fall after the UK voted to leave the EU. The Conservative MP said there had been some “misunderstanding” over the Leave campaign’s position on reducing immigration.

Speaking to BBC Radio 5 live’s Stephen Nolan, he said the Leave campaign’s plan was to “control” immigration and not necessarily reduce it.
Leave campaign should be put up for treason.