Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Nah, I think that's immensely unfair. You're talking about the endpoint of decades of negotiation, compromise and bloodshed. It took immense effort to reach even that delicate balance within the EU framework as it was literally a compromise that many thought impossible. Expecting them to futureproof against the then seemingly remote possibility of the UK leaving the EU is a bit much and rather unrealistic. Especially given that dealing with the possibility of the UK leaving the EU without Ireland would have in itself likely spoiled the negotiations as a whole.
Yeah, considering what'd happened in Ireland it was remarkable they managed to get to a point where the DUP and SF could (to an extent) at least fathom the idea of working together.

Government seem hell-bent on disrupting the current settlement at the moment though, which isn't particularly reassuring.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Nah, I think that's immensely unfair. You're talking about the endpoint of decades of negotiation, compromise and bloodshed. It took immense effort to reach even that delicate balance within the EU framework as it was literally a compromise that many thought impossible. Expecting them to futureproof against the then seemingly remote possibility of the UK leaving the EU is a bit much and rather unrealistic. Especially given that dealing with the possibility of the UK leaving the EU without Ireland would have in itself likely spoiled the negotiations as a whole.
I understand that I'm harsh but I'm right too. Just read the last part of the agreement, named Agreement Between the Government of the United Kindgom and Northern Ireland and the Government of Ireland, that part is totally in favor of the non Irish part of the agreement, that's where the people of the Island of Ireland should have had a protection against the potential actions of the Government of the United Kingdom and Ireland. Northern Ireland only have a say in case of a United Ireland proposal but they have no say on changes regarding the legal framework of the Good Friday agreement, the narrowed basis for self determination is purposefully narrowed and it goes against the general concept of self-determination because as of today NI self-determined that they wanted to remain in the EU which is the legal framework for the Good Friday agreement.

Now, I understand your and @Kentonio's positions, I know that I'm being harsh when we take into account the context but personally I find the all thing infuriating because something is wrong here.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I understand that I'm harsh but I'm right too. Just read the last part of the agreement, named Agreement Between the Government of the United Kindgom and Northern Ireland and the Government of Ireland, that part is totally in favor of the non Irish part of the agreement, that's where the people of the Island of Ireland should have had a protection against the potential actions of the Government of the United Kingdom and Ireland. Northern Ireland only have a say in case of a United Ireland proposal but they have no say on changes regarding the legal framework of the Good Friday agreement, the narrowed basis for self determination is purposefully narrowed and it goes against the general concept of self-determination because as of today NI self-determined that they wanted to remain in the EU which is the legal framework for the Good Friday agreement.

Now, I understand your and @Kentonio's positions, I know that I'm being harsh when we take into account the context but personally I find the all thing infuriating because something is wrong here.
In practical terms what do you think they could have actually done differently though?

JPRouve

Scout
In practical terms what do you think they could have actually done differently though?
I will let you be the judge on the feasibility:

- First stipulate clearly that the open border is only possible because of the EU framework and the fact that the entirety of Ireland was at the time part of a common territory and that if one of the two parties were to leave the EU, the territory would de facto be separated which would make the Good Friday agreement void.
- Secondly, knowing that and considering the right of self-determination enjoyed by the people of the Island of Ireland, any act of law from the two governments that could alter the goals and ambitions of the Good Friday agreement will require the approval of a majority of the people from the Republic of Ireland and/or Northern Ireland.

Now the second point is not easy for the UK, that right should maybe be extended to all countries. Ireland, Wales, Scotland and England would have to reach separately a simple majority in order for example to leave or join the EU/NAFTA. If you are in that type of scenario, Northern Ireland has no way to complain about the current situation because it would only be possible because the majority of people in Northern Ireland made that choice.

Abizzz

:lol: I can appreciate this. I'm just fed up of people just saying stuff with no rhyme or reason behind it.
Yes, me too, and we're not even the ones who have to deal with them. Those treasury officials (who i'm sure are at the very top of their profession) and loads of civil servants must be fuming...

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
I'd even be happier with some false justification!

Yes, me too, and we're not even the ones who have to deal with them. Those treasury officials (who i'm sure are at the very top of their profession) and loads of civil servants must be fuming...
Does he assume they all are "remoaners"? The stats tell us at least half will be leave voters. I just don't get it.

Xeno

I'd even be happier with some false justification!

Does he assume they all are "remoaners"? The stats tell us at least half will be leave voters. I just don't get it.
I’d argue civil servants are more educated than general population, and there was a huge correlation between high education and remain vote.

bleedred

- First stipulate clearly that the open border is only possible because of the EU framework and the fact that the entirety of Ireland was at the time part of a common territory and that if one of the two parties were to leave the EU, the territory would de facto be separated which would make the Good Friday agreement void.
- Secondly, knowing that and considering the right of self-determination enjoyed by the people of the Island of Ireland, any act of law from the two governments that could alter the goals and ambitions of the Good Friday agreement will require the approval of a majority of the people from the Republic of Ireland and/or Northern Ireland.

Now the second point is not easy for the UK, that right should maybe be extended to all countries. Ireland, Wales, Scotland and England would have to reach separately a simple majority in order for example to leave or join the EU/NAFTA. If you are in that type of scenario, Northern Ireland has no way to complain about the current situation because it would only be possible because the majority of people in Northern Ireland made that choice.
Yeah, if that was a part of the conversation, GFA wouldn't have happened for sure and still would have been fighting!.

I don't mean to be condescending but to call the GFA an incompetent solution means that you don't seem to get a grasp of the geopolitical nature of that time or for that matter even now!

JPRouve

Scout
Yeah, if that was a part of the conversation, GFA wouldn't have happened for sure and still would have been fighting!.

I don't mean to be condescending but to call the GFA an incompetent solution means that you don't seem to get a grasp of the geopolitical nature of that time or for that matter even now!
Well that's not what I said, I said that the protection of the GFA was incompetently done which is why we are in the current situation. The GFA by itself like I said several time is a great achievement.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

I'm not gonna pretend to be an expert on the GFA but I don't think those terms would have been politically viable. Unless I'm reading it wrong your suggestion leads to one of two potential scenarios.

1. The GFA can be rendered void if the UK and a NI majority vote in that direction.

Why would nationalists or the Republic agree to these terms? The nationalists required the GFA to guarantee a degree of protection from the UK and NI majority. Agreeing to them having the power to revoke the influence of the EU on issues like the border and justice would surely be an immediate non-starter? I can't imagine the Republic would have been any more agreeable to this scenario either given their current views on relationship between Brexit the GFA.

2. Any decisions like Brexit that might impact on the GFA must receive the approval of the Republic of Ireland.

Would the UK or unionists have been happy to surrender that sort of power to the Republic? Especially in the broad terms that would be required to ensure the Republic agreed? I very much doubt it as it would be a pretty extraordinary thing to do. It would certainly run against the "take back control" narrative of Brexit itself. Plus even in this scenario, the suggestion that the UK might want to leave the EU at some point would have been an issue for nationalists.

The GFA left us with a NI that was technically part of the UK whilst still kinda/sorta part of Ireland, whose citizens could be both British and Irish and who were allowed seemingly contradictory freedoms, protections and potential political futures. This was only really possible because various factors (such as EU membership and improved relations between the UK and ROI) made so many of these contradictions irrelevant. This was the magic that made the agreement work; double-think and sidestepping issues. I rather suspect that any practical measures that might have safeguarded against the current brexit crisis would also have undermined the constructive ambiguity that allowed the GFA to function in the first place. It was impossible for the GFA to address these questions because it fundamentally relied on these questions never being asked.

Or maybe I'm wrong. Who knows? :)

JPRouve

Scout
@sullydnl Thanks for your reply.

1. It's not a term, it's not a suggestion either, it's the reality of the situation if one party decides to leave the EU, they alter the framework of the GFA and makes it void. This statement is supposed to ask the questions that you are mentioning without actually asking them.

2. No the Republic of Ireland has no say in Brexit, only NI has a say, in that case it's "or" not "and". In the case of Brexit, it's about the UK and NI, NI are the only one deciding whether they want to live with the consequence of Brexit.

Edit: What you wrote is how I see it too, the issues are obvious and understandable but at some point the questions need to be asked because an answer has to be provided. Today we are at that point.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I'm not gonna pretend to be an expert on the GFA but I don't think those terms would have been politically viable. Unless I'm reading it wrong your suggestion leads to one of two potential scenarios.

1. The GFA can be rendered void if the UK and a NI majority vote in that direction.

Why would nationalists or the Republic agree to these terms? The nationalists required the GFA to guarantee a degree of protection from the UK and NI majority. Agreeing to them having the power to revoke the influence of the EU on issues like the border and justice would surely be an immediate non-starter? I can't imagine the Republic would have been any more agreeable to this scenario either given their current views on relationship between Brexit the GFA.

2. Any decisions like Brexit that might impact on the GFA must receive the approval of the Republic of Ireland.

Would the UK or unionists have been happy to surrender that sort of power to the Republic? Especially in the broad terms that would be required to ensure the Republic agreed? I very much doubt it as it would be a pretty extraordinary thing to do. It would certainly run against the "take back control" narrative of Brexit itself. Plus even in this scenario, the suggestion that the UK might want to leave the EU at some point would have been an issue for nationalists.

The GFA left us with a NI that was technically part of the UK whilst still kinda/sorta part of Ireland, whose citizens could be both British and Irish and who were allowed seemingly contradictory freedoms, protections and potential political futures. This was only really possible because various factors (such as EU membership and improved relations between the UK and ROI) made so many of these contradictions irrelevant. This was the magic that made the agreement work; double-think and sidestepping issues. I rather suspect that any practical measures that might have safeguarded against the current brexit crisis would also have undermined the constructive ambiguity that allowed the GFA to function in the first place. It was impossible for the GFA to address these questions because it fundamentally relied on these questions never being asked.

Or maybe I'm wrong. Who knows? :)
Good post.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Will we ever get to the point where Brexit backers will go, 'you know what, maybe this isn't a good idea'?
:lol:I can only laugh as it's so tragic. Do you want to be part of the world's richest trading bloc? No. Would you rather our economy was irrevocably fecked in the vain hope you can keep swarthy foreigners out? Yes.
Oh god.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Will we ever get to the point where Brexit backers will go, 'you know what, maybe this isn't a good idea'?
Are you British? What do you think? I am not, and from this side of the Irish Sea seems like those asking your question almost tend to exclude their own passion from the equation, as if it was somehow mildly shameful to be a Pro European, an advocate for that project. Think that once that barrier was crossed by Remainers, things would become clearer.

Sweet Square

Will we ever get to the point where Jeremy Corbyn will go, 'you know what, maybe this isn't a good idea'?
Doesn't look that way so far.
Because it would kill off a ton of Labour's voting base. People can criticise Labour Brexit policy(which for the most part is simply not talking about Brexit)but wanting Cobyn to actively come out against Brexit is living in fantasy world.

Last edited:

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Because it would kill off a ton of Labour's voting base. People can criticise Labour Brexit policy(which for the most part is simply not talking about Brexit)but wanting Cobyn to actively come out against Brexit is living in fantasy world.
So Corbyn is as much responsible for Brexit as anyone else then. Just as much to blame as Boris, Gove and the rest.

Sweet Square

So Corbyn is as much responsible for Brexit as anyone else then. Just as much to blame as Boris, Gove and the rest.
Well yes and no. Yes because we had a referendum and leave won so Corbyn is following the ''democratic'' process but no because the UK under a Corbyn lead Labour government would be vastly better than anything the Tories could offer.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
They could try and substantiate an actual policy though. Labour still refuse to commit to either a hard or soft Brexit.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Well yes and no. Yes because we had a referendum and leave won so Corbyn is following the ''democratic'' process but no because the UK under a Corbyn lead Labour government would be vastly better than anything the Tories could offer.
Following the "democratic" process is exactly the same excuse May has used, so I take it you agree he's equally to blame.

Corbyn might lead a vastly better government but this is the Brexit thread so I'm sticking to that. Unless you're saying Brexit would be worth it to get a Labour government?

Sweet Square

They could try and substantiate an actual policy though. Labour still refuse to commit to either a hard or soft Brexit.
It's getting clearer that Labour haven't really got any policy regarding Brexit but I can't say what their policy should be. Everyone mostly agrees that Labour should have a policy but no ones what that policy should be(A policy that doesn't alienate their voters).

Following the "democratic" process is exactly the same excuse May has used, so I take it you agree he's equally to blame.
Firstly I don't blame anyone really, Brexit was a 20-30 odd years in the making and certainly not the shock result some people think it is. As for the excuse, people did in the end vote to leave, political parties can't just ignore that.

The only alternative that can be argued is to have another referendum but even that seem rather pointless as

1)It's not particularly clear that Remain would win

2)Even if Remain did win, what would make it anymore legitimate than the first referendum(Do we have to make a best of 3 ?)

The argument to stopping Brexit has to be more than economical and at the moment it isn't.

Unless you're saying Brexit would be worth it to get a Labour government?
But there's really no way of stopping Brexit, if the Labour Party supported stopping Brexit or even a second referendum than all it would achieved is destroying it's voting base.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It's getting clearer that Labour haven't really got any policy regarding Brexit but I can't say what their policy should be. Everyone mostly agrees that Labour should have a policy but no ones what that policy should be(A policy that doesn't alienate their voters).
I don't deny that - opting for soft Brexit alienates Labour voters who supported Brexit and feel like they haven't been listened to, while a hard Brexit alienates the majority of the pro-European membership base. Logistically speaking it's a sensible move for Labour to have an obscured and ill-defined Brexit policy because like with the vote itself, it allows voters to project what their idea of a Labour Brexit is onto the party. The problem is that it's just incredibly frustrating to see the actual opposition offering so little in the way of a genuine viewpoint as to what's happening with Brexit.

Sweet Square

I don't deny that - opting for soft Brexit alienates Labour voters who supported Brexit and feel like they haven't been listened to, while a hard Brexit alienates the majority of the pro-European membership base. Logistically speaking it's a sensible move for Labour to have an obscured and ill-defined Brexit policy because like with the vote itself, it allows voters to project what their idea of a Labour Brexit is onto the party. The problem is that it's just incredibly frustrating to see the actual opposition offering so little in the way of a genuine viewpoint as to what's happening with Brexit.
Completely agree and this response by Labour will only last so long. But it's really only frustrating for those who care about Brexit, which is a small part of the country(For better or worse)

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Completely agree and this response by Labour will only last so long. But it's really only frustrating for those who care about Brexit, which is a small part of the country(For better or worse)
Obviously there's a lot more going on than Brexit but it's still a hugely significant issue which will impact - directly or indirectly - most of the other areas currently in need of being addressed.