Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
The odds must be shortening on May being overthrown, coming the old 'back me or sack me', or Tory rebels doing a deal with Labour on no confidence.

I've never known a position of such utter chaos that it's impossible to even begin to predict where we will be politically in twelve months time.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don't get why doesn't she just resign and gives those clowns the rope to hang themselves. Does she enjoy being at the heart of abuse from all sides with no long-term political prospectus personally?
if that happens then rest assured they will call for an early general election which they will lose. Then they will have the opportunity to pin the blame on may, cameron and labour for not delivering the brexit they wanted

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
83 Labour peers and 17 Tories defy their party whip to vote for EEA amendment

Some 83 Labour peers - 44% of the total - defied the whip and voted for the Alli amendment.

There were also 17 Tory rebels.
I am missing something here. If EEA membership is an objective than Brexit is a monumental waste of time and money. None of the Brexit arguments are applicable.

MoskvaRed

I am missing something here. If EEA membership is an objective than Brexit is a monumental waste of time and money. None of the Brexit arguments are applicable.
You’re not missing anything, no, only that the cherry picked, have cake and eat it deal delivered on a gold platter by a unicorn failed to materialise. So, assuming it is not politically viable to call off the whole farce, the Lords have realised that the alternative of EEA membership would limit the damage and at least avoid the economic disaster of crashing out with no deal.

Xeno

EEA means rejoining the EU in 10 years rather than the 20 a full brexit would take.

Inevitable.

JPRouve

Scout
You’re not missing anything, no, only that the cherry picked, have cake and eat it deal delivered on a gold platter by a unicorn failed to materialise. So, assuming it is not politically viable to call off the whole farce, the Lords have realised that the alternative of EEA membership would limit the damage and at least avoid the economic disaster of crashing out with no deal.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting your point but the EEA membership doesn't limit damage that's literally cancelling Brexit. Brexit means leaving the EEA, that's where I have been the most confused, people seem to not understand which institutions they are talking about. When brexit is about making your own economic rules or the four freedoms, you are targeting the EEA.

Last edited:

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Maybe I'm misinterpreting your point but the EEA membership doesn't limit damage that's literally cancelling Brexit. Brexit means leaving the EEA, that's where I have been the most confused people seem to not understand which institutions they are talking about. When brexit is about making your own economical rules or the four freedoms, you are targeting the EEA.
The point is that when people voted for Brexit, they did not have a clue what it meant - two years later they still haven't a clue. When people tried to explain, they wouldn't listen. Brexit is an enormous waste of time and money. You could ask a hundred Brexiters what Brexit means and you'd get a hundred different answers.

JPRouve

Scout
The point is that when people voted for Brexit, they did not have a clue what it meant - two years later they still haven't a clue. When people tried to explain, they wouldn't listen. Brexit is an enormous waste of time and money. You could ask a hundred Brexiters what Brexit means and you'd get a hundred different answers.
But these answers should all include the EEA. It's the most fundamental aspect, it doesn't matter if you are pro brexit for economic or immigration reasons, the EEA is the area of the four freedoms and it's where the EU and EFTA rules are strictly applied. The EEA encompass all the brexit arguments, it's the one thing you can't stay in if you are negotiating for Brexit.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Maybe I'm misinterpreting your point but the EEA membership doesn't limit damage that's literally cancelling Brexit. Brexit means leaving the EEA, that's where I have been the most confused, people seem to not understand which institutions they are talking about. When brexit is about making your own economic rules or the four freedoms, you are targeting the EEA.
Doesn't include fisheries and isn't subject to the ECJ either, right?

MoskvaRed

It respects the referendum result in that the UK would not remain a member of the European Union. Since there are 101 different interpretations on what the “no” reponse to the referendum question actually meant, then choosing the most formalistic, least harmful interpretation seems to be the more pragmatic approach. A lot of people won’t like it but, in a country split down the middle, there is no magic solution that will reconcile the two camps.

JPRouve

Scout
Doesn't include fisheries and isn't subject to the ECJ either, right?
Not exactly. The EEA is divided between EFTA and EU members, EFTA members aren't subjected to agricultural and fishery laws but they also don't have a direct access to the single market, customs are needed to protect both sides. EFTA members are also subjected to the EFTA court which means that the same philosophical problem exists.

JPRouve

Scout
It respects the referendum result in that the UK would not remain a member of the European Union. Since there are 101 different interpretations on what the “no” reponse to the referendum question actually meant, then choosing the most formalistic, least harmful interpretation seems to be the more pragmatic approach. A lot of people won’t like it but, in a country split down the middle, there is no magic solution that will reconcile the two camps.
That's where I'm confused, why would you leave the EU. What was the reasoning behind it?

That's where I'm confused, why would you leave the EU. What was the reasoning behind it?
The reasoning for many was “too many immigrants”.
At least the ones talking about the Polish were correct in that being in the EU was the cause, but I can assure you I know plenty that blamed the EU for Syrian or Afghanistan refugees.

Paul the Wolf

But these answers should all include the EEA. It's the most fundamental aspect, it doesn't matter if you are pro brexit for economic or immigration reasons, the EEA is the area of the four freedoms and it's where the EU and EFTA rules are strictly applied. The EEA encompass all the brexit arguments, it's the one thing you can't stay in if you are negotiating for Brexit.
I agree with you completely but remember when the Leave campaigners were campaigning, Farage and Johnson et al were all for staying in the single market, Johnson even said people have to be insane to leave it. The reason is that they didn't know what they were campaigning for and if they didn't know, how can the general public understand it.

There is no sense to Brexit, you cannot reason with Brexiters because they don't know what they have voted for. That's why there is the cake and eat it wish list, because a real Brexit will destroy the UK's economy.

Paul the Wolf

The prime minister’s spokesman told journalists at the lobby briefing:

"We reached an agreement with the EU on the implementation period - that agreement is clear that it will end in December 2020. We have been clear we are leaving the customs union in December 2020."

I think someone ought to tell May that there will be no implementation or transition period until they've resolved the Irish border problem and sign up legally to what was agreed in December. The EU are waiting for an answer preferably before the end of next month. At this moment the UK are leaving the custom's union in March 2019.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Dan Hannan - one of the chief architects of Brexit, now talking about EFTA membership

https://www.conservativehome.com/th...our-demands-a-worst-of-all-worlds-brexit.html

A 52-48 outcome pointed to some sort of association that stopped short of membership. Britain would keep most of the economic aspects of the EU while losing most of the political ones. A compromise would be found on immigration, perhaps allowing EU nationals to take up job offers in the UK without subsidies from the British taxpayer. Britain would stay in a number of EU programmes, paying its share of the bill, but would withdraw from the quasi-federal institutions in Brussels. We’d end up, very broadly, in an EFTA-type arrangement, à la Suisse.
Can't make it up

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I always get pissed off to feck when audience members come out with this. Ignores the complexities underlying the issue and the actual obstacles blocking it from happening smoothly. Just a sort of whimsical, populist statement that has no backing in factual reality.

Sweet Square

I always get pissed off to feck when audience members come out with this. Ignores the complexities underlying the issue and the actual obstacles blocking it from happening smoothly. Just a sort of whimsical, populist statement that has no backing in factual reality.
''"I've met the man in the street and he's a cnut.".

I usual hate the whole everyone who voted Brexit is stupid stuff but there's is a stain of the vote that has almost gleefully ignorance (It's normally a middle age white man)of how any form of politics works, they seem surprise that the tories and labour have different visions of post Brexit UK. Although having said that you do see this a similar sort of trend with very pro remain liberals(Centrist dads)who also have very bizarre view of politics.

It's like there's a whole group of adults that are suddenly be forced to think about politics for first time in their lives and the results aren't pretty.

Drainy

Stopped watching Question Time over a decade ago for that exact reason.

Oscie

Good to see Hannan and a handful of others finally speaking about EFTA agreements. Only taken 2 years to realise it’s just about the only feasible method of leaving the EU at the moment
I keep coming back to this but I think that's a result of very little mainstream political opposition to Brexit. A PM that wants to pretend the 'cake and eating it' route is achievable and a leader of the opposition who seems to want to talk about anything else. Most people probably are under the impression that we can have our cake and eat it as the major political voices at the top of the two major parties either endorse that policy or provide absolutely no opposition to it.

Labour's position seems to be 'We know it's a disaster, so let's do it anyway', which seems even less defensible than the Tory policy of 'if we pretend it's not going to be a disaster, it won't be'. The utter bollocks that is Brexit should have been fiercely opposed from the get go. Instead there's been this general malaise in which there's been more effort in attacking those who point out the lies than attacking the lies and the liars themselves.

The only two parties that stand a chance of forming the government of this country for the next generation and beyond, have policies that effectively state that Brexit must happen regardless of impact. The fact there's nobody on either front bench willing to point out how utterly fecking insane that is, is utterly fecking insane.

Last edited:

Steven Seagull

How can they have strong opposition to something they know nothing about? Nobody in the Westminster and London media bubble seems to want to do any actual research on the EU. Total nonsense continually goes unchallenged by newsreaders and talk show hosts, as if it isn’t their job to know. Seems we are ever more deeply entrenched in something we haven’t voted for and don’t know the workings of.

Astonishing really that you can find much more complex work from Brexit blogs than you can from the cheerleading national newspapers. Independent thinkers are too much trouble for the political parties so we end up with a parliament full of brainless drones who say what they are told to

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
How can they have strong opposition to something they know nothing about? Nobody in the Westminster and London media bubble seems to want to do any actual research on the EU. Total nonsense continually goes unchallenged by newsreaders and talk show hosts, as if it isn’t their job to know. Seems we are ever more deeply entrenched in something we haven’t voted for and don’t know the workings of.

Astonishing really that you can find much more complex work from Brexit blogs than you can from the cheerleading national newspapers. Independent thinkers are too much trouble for the political parties so we end up with a parliament full of brainless drones who say what they are told to
what do you expect when...

Abizzz

Well exactly. It’s all rather embarrassing. Though let’s not pretend even half the people who voted remain have a clue about the workings of the EU either
That argument has been taken apart at least 5 separate times in this thread alone.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-b...dog-for-breaking-spending-rules-idUKKBN1IC0HM
So liars cheat too... Are any criminal charges likely?

Paul the Wolf

Now Theresa May has split her cabinet for one half to work on option A and the other half to work on option B

The EU have told her magical thinking won't work. Options A and B are unworkable. You're wasting even more time, Mrs May.
EFTA won't work either.

You have two choices, remain in the CU/SM or leave totally and break the GFA. Guess what, she doesn't want either.

Abizzz

What argument? That millions of people who voted to remain don’t really know anything about the EU?
The argument whether voting leave out of ignorance is in the same ballpark of stupidity as voting remain out of ignorance. (It isn't).

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
That argument has been taken apart at least 5 separate times in this thread alone.

So liars cheat too... Are any criminal charges likely?
yes - the person who was responsible for signing the submissions made to the electoral commission has been refered to the met for investigation as it is a criminal offence to either knowingly or recklessly submit false information.

the head of the electoral commission also said on an interview this morning that people on the remain side have already been fined etc but that this was to date by far the worse example they have seen and that the reason the fine was only 70k is that this is the maximum they are allowed to impose - in light of their findings they will lobby parliament to increase the maximum fines substantially in future

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Now Theresa May has split her cabinet for one half to work on option A and the other half to work on option B

The EU have told her magical thinking won't work. Options A and B are unworkable. You're wasting even more time, Mrs May.
EFTA won't work either.

You have two choices, remain in the CU/SM or leave totally and break the GFA. Guess what, she doesn't want either.
who is in which half?
either people are working on a proposal they believe in and will therefore say theirs is way better than the other proposal and split the govenrment further
or people are working on the proposal they dislike which will mean no real engagement and a half assed job before saying its impossible
or its a mixed bag - in which case you end up with a half assed job and a further split
genuinely cant see how this ends up as anything other than a monumentally bad idea

Steven Seagull

EFTA won't work either.

Why won’t EFTA work?

JPRouve

Scout
Why won’t EFTA work?
Custom control/controlled borders, EFTA has them.

Edit: To make it simple, if you want a border free deal, you will need a "deep and comprehensive" political agreement and relationship aka the EU. The idea that you can have a deal strictly economic without a strictly defined and protected jurisdiction is bordering on lunacy.

Last edited:

Paul the Wolf

who is in which half?
either people are working on a proposal they believe in and will therefore say theirs is way better than the other proposal and split the govenrment further
or people are working on the proposal they dislike which will mean no real engagement and a half assed job before saying its impossible
or its a mixed bag - in which case you end up with a half assed job and a further split
genuinely cant see how this ends up as anything other than a monumentally bad idea
Article on it here. They just don't know what to do. They'll never come up with a sensible answer, mainly because there is no answer other than leave totally

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...s-up-cabinet-teams-to-thrash-out-customs-plan