Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Ya, I just thought this contempt was a 3rd-world thing and that you enlightened whites* knew better.

*ha!

The desire for a benevolent strongman and "these people don't deserve the vote" are very common sentiments in India.
There's an element of condescension for sure, but those idiots saying they voted out cos they were certain remain would win are not helping!

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
So we've got Leave MEP's admitting we'll probably still have free movement.:lol:

Poor Brexiters.
It was always the case. You will pay more, respect the same regulations and still have free movement.
People have voted to live like in the 70's and against globalization but lacked the most basic understanding on what was happening.

NinjaFletch

@NinjaFletch
I understand what side of the spectrum Labour and Conservative parties are on... But where do LibDems fall???
Ideologically they're in the centre. They'll shift to the left or right on certain issues and tend to be more left of centre than right of centre. They're an amalgamation of two parties: The Liberal party and the Social Democrats which should explain roughly what their views are and where they're coming from.

They're now our 4th largest party – both by vote share (beaten by UKIP) and number of MPs (by the SNP) – and got slaughtered in the last election losing 48 MPs.

They were in coalition with the Tories between 2010-2015 and although they protected us from the worst excesses of the Tories they didn't do anywhere near as much as they could have.

But the real reason, the reason why I and many others will never vote for them again, is because of what they did to students. They were the student party. They ran on a manifesto promise to scrap 'unfair tuition fees' and all 57 MP's signed a pledge to the National Union of Students to oppose any attempts to raise them. You can probably guess what they did. In 2010 less than a year in government the Conservatives proposed to raise the cap on tuition fees from £3,000 to £9,000 (I know these aren't huge numbers compared to the US, but still) it split the Lib Dems and not only did most Lib Dems not oppose the changes they actively voted for them. In the end the vote passed by 21 with 27 Lib Dems voting for it and some abstaining.

At the very least their current leader, Tim Farron, was one of the 21 Lib Dem MPs with enough of a backbone to do what he said he would. But I'm not forgiving them, not yet at least, and don't think I can ever trust them again.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I think those people would vote the same way again.

The campaign was nonsense from both sides and I think it made little difference to the prevailing sentiment, however misguided you and I may think it is.
I feel confident they would change their vote based on the fact that immigration will not change one bit. This was the crux of the argument for many people and what caused them to vote Brexit.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
There's an element of condescension for sure, but those idiots saying they voted out cos they were certain remain would win are not helping!
We vote on caste and religious lines, at least we don't declare next day we voted for the wrong caste :lol:

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Maybe youre too thick to make sense of it.

Greek politicians want to be in EU. Most Greek people want to leave and default/devalue.
That's objectively wrong and has been polled constantly. Greeks want to remain. Of course they do, EU is the only thing standing standing between them and a very real doom of their statehood.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
David Lammy's constituency overwhelming voted to remain. Why should he not do everything in his power to kill it?
What should the SNP MPs not do everything in their power to kill the vote?
What he says is true.
If there was another referendum today and people knew nothing would change on immigration, Remain would win convincingly.
Or if people knew the £350m and NHS was bullshit.
I don't know if that's true.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think those people would vote the same way again.

The campaign was nonsense from both sides and I think it made little difference to the prevailing sentiment, however misguided you and I may think it is.
I think they wouldn't have voted.
Levers were exceptionally motivated to vote because many of them thought they could end mass immigration once and for all.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Is there no end to the evil of this man?:

While London Mayor, Boris Johnson built a shed on his balcony without securing planning permission.

Untied

The contempt users here have for a democratic process (it was a fair vote, no matter how terribly set-up) is frightening.
The democratic process isn't without significant failings.

If 52% of people voted to take away the vote of 48% should it be enacted?

What about if 52% of people voted to take away 48% of people's citizenship?

What about if 52% of people voted to take away 48% of people's EU citizenship and EU vote?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I don't know if that's true.
I think it's dawning on people that the reasons they voted to leave are utter horse-shit. I don't think Remain would win by a landslide as suggested, but given there were <2 million votes in it, I could see Remain coming out on top if the information on immigration and the NHS had been made public on the day before the vote rather than the day after.

Dante

Average bang
Only 43% of 18-24s voted, the lazy shits.

It's all well and good blaming the elderly, but apathy from youngsters is what created this result. And it's a result which probably doesn't reflect the opinions of the populace as whole.

Had the referendum required compulsory participation, we would have voted Remain.

NinjaFletch

It's all well and good blaming the elderly, but apathy from youngsters is what created this result. And it's a result which probably doesn't reflect the opinions of the populace as whole.

Had the referendum required compulsory participation, we would have voted Remain.
No they didn't.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
:lol:

I am just saying the government has to respect the vote. Anything else would be a huge affront to democracy.

Also those who think a revote would come down on the Remain side are I think sorely mistaken. There might be some Leave voters who would change but half a million? I doubt it.
Think there would be an even bigger turnout If there was a second vote. Scotland had a low turnout and young people were down on numbers. Would certainly be interesting.

Don't Kill Bill

As Freyar Stark, who I think was Eddard's sister, once said

“There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do.”

At least we are doing what the majority believe will make them happy.

Adisa

Such an important issue should have been compulsory.

Fully Fledged

The contempt users here have for a democratic process (it was a fair vote, no matter how terribly set-up) is frightening.
It's not a legally binding agreement they made it so that it is only advisory. The referendum advises MP's how to vote but the decision still remains with them. That is the democratic process. We voted them in and now they make policy.

Untied

As Freyar Stark, who I think was Eddard's sister, once said

“There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do.”

At least we are doing what the majority believe will make them happy.
We don't actually know do we. 72% turnout, 52% Leave.

So we know 38% of the electorate wanted to leave.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
It amuses me seeing the leave side keep banging on about "stop caling us thick" whilst simultaneously resorting to both saying the remain side are "crying in their cornflakes" and "very angry" everytime someone tries to explain why this was a bad decision. Thye literally have no actual answers to sensible questions about what comes next.

I think it's dawning on people that the reasons they voted to leave are utter horse-shit. I don't think Remain would win by a landslide as suggested, but given there were <2 million votes in it, I could see Remain coming out on top if the information on immigration and the NHS had been made public on the day before the vote rather than the day after.
Very much so.

Carolina Red

Staff
Ideologically they're in the centre. They'll shift to the left or right on certain issues and tend to be more left of centre than right of centre. They're an amalgamation of two parties: The Liberal party and the Social Democrats which should explain roughly what their views are and where they're coming from.

They're now our 4th largest party – both by vote share (beaten by UKIP) and number of MPs (by the SNP) – and got slaughtered in the last election losing 48 MPs.

They were in coalition with the Tories between 2010-2015 and although they protected us from the worst excesses of the Tories they didn't do anywhere near as much as they could have.

But the real reason, the reason why I and many others will never vote for them again, is because of what they did to students. They were the student party. They ran on a manifesto promise to scrap 'unfair tuition fees' and all 57 MP's signed a pledge to the National Union of Students to oppose any attempts to raise them. You can probably guess what they did. In 2010 less than a year in government the Conservatives proposed to raise the cap on tuition fees from £3,000 to £9,000 (I know these aren't huge numbers compared to the US, but still) it split the Lib Dems and not only did most Lib Dems not oppose the changes they actively voted for them. In the end the vote passed by 21 with 27 Lib Dems voting for it and some abstaining.

At the very least their current leader, Tim Farron, was one of the 21 Lib Dem MPs with enough of a backbone to do what he said he would. But I'm not forgiving them, not yet at least, and don't think I can ever trust them again.
Thanks for the explanation! Liberal Democrat has a very different connotation in the US.

Good on the voters for kicking them out of office for that crap. Wish that American voters were as quick to act sometimes.

Berbaclass

It's not a legally binding agreement they made it so that it is only advisory. The referendum advises MP's how to vote but the decision still remains with them. That is the democratic process. We voted them in and now they make policy.
Exactly, Brexit only won by 4 points anyway so it's not like they'd be going against a landslide win if they vote it down. The fact that it was relatively close makes me think that they may vote to stay in the EU myself but thats probably me being more optimistic than anything.

Adisa

My main point is that if the truth about the immigration issue was known, a lot of Leave voters wouldn't have turned up.
A lot of people came out to vote specifically for that issue.

Berbaclass

My main point is that if the truth about the immigration issue was known, a lot of Leave voters wouldn't have turned up.
A lot of people came out to vote specifically for that issue.
..and that point I believe is correct.

Berbaclass

Can someone explain to me why all the media/news outlets are releasing stories saying that the EU want us to leave immediately despite our parliament still having to vote on the issue so technically it's still undecided :confused:

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
I dunno if this has been posted, but...
Exactly, Brexit only won by 4 points anyway so it's not like they'd be going against a landslide win if they vote it down. The fact that it was relatively close makes me think that they may vote to stay in the EU myself but thats probably me being more optimistic than anything.
Let's get real here, if it wasn't going to be the will of the people being carried out, there wouldn't have been such extensive campaigning. The people have decided, it's democracy, respect it and accept the future.

If you lot got your wish and the will of the majority is ignored, I'd rather not live in a country like that.

Berbaclass

Let's get real here, if it wasn't going to be the will of the people being carried out, there wouldn't have been such extensive campaigning. The people have decided, it's democracy, respect it and accept the future.

If you lot got your wish and the will of the majority is ignored, I'd rather not live in a country like that.
If I had happened to vote leave only then to discover it was under false pretences I'd be angry and have every right to be.

Minimalist

Yeah because if Leave lost they would have stopped campaigning for it. Farage only moments after voting stopped said live on air that they wouldn't stop.

But we should just give up? Without due respect, pick your battles.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The democratic process isn't without significant failings.

If 52% of people voted to take away the vote of 48% should it be enacted?

What about if 52% of people voted to take away 48% of people's citizenship?

What about if 52% of people voted to take away 48% of people's EU citizenship and EU vote?
The only reason these questions are popular on this site is the result of the vote.

Edit: sorry, I do have an answer. There are constitutionally guaranteed rights (not anymore though :p) which underpin and restrict what the voting public can do.