Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ixion

How many elections would we need to appease everyone?

The rules were set prior to going to the polls. The end.
The poll was just a suggestion, there is nothing legally binding about it. We elect people to make these decisions.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
The rules say that the referendum is not legally binding. How hard is that to understand? Parliament is under no legal requirement to follow the referendum.
So they should want a political elite that only pays attention to referendums and votes when it swings they way they like then?

The moral outrage and ownership of right and wrong by the left-wing never ceases to amaze.

Dobba

I wonder what most of the left-wingers would have thought if this discussion was raised by the mostly righ-wing 'leave' guys if the tables was turned and they lost the vote.

"oh, lolzies, look at the right-wing cnuts showing their true fascist colours, willing to throw democracy overboard since they didn't get their will".
What like Farage did at the prospect of a 52-48 result the other way?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The french parliament didn't followed the referendum in 2005. We didn't complained.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Every person in the country and every MP could want to re-join at a later date but it is up to the members of the E.U. if we would be taken back. It would no longer be our choice, a single member could veto us joining again. We can choose to leave but not to go back in, that is why it is irreversable.
Like De Gaulle used to back in the day?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
So they should want a political elite that only pays attention to referendums and votes when it swings they way they like then?

The moral outrage and ownership of right and wrong by the left-wing never ceases to amaze.
There was very little in the result and it was swung by lies. If they had won fair and square I'd have no qualms about the result.

Will Absolute

It wouldn't be up to the British people at that point. It would be up to the European Union to undo what the Leave camp voted for.
If it still exists in its present form in 10 years, and that's far from certain, Europe would welcome back the prodigal with open arms. The EU is stronger with Britain than without it.

Minimalist

The fact you keep making this about the 'left wing' shows just how warped you are.

These labels are pointless and have been for years.

Carolina Red

Staff

What you call "a political elite" I call an elected representative legislature.

You're aware that the UK is a representative democracy and not a direct democracy right? It would be Parliament actually doing its job...

rotherham_red

People bought into the £350,000,000 going to the NHS, when we told them that it was a lie it was 'scaremongering'. Oh look, they've announced it's a lie.
People bought into the immigration issue being sorted, when we told them it was a lie it was 'scaremongering'. Oh look, they've announced it's a lie.
The Bank of England told them we were better off remaining, and we should stay. They told us that it was 'scaremongering' and that the economists and all the experts were simply looking after their own interests. Now that the economy balked overnight the people are all of a sudden trusting the Bank of England to sort it, when two days ago they were agenda driven fear mongers with only their own interests at heart.

As a society we are really unintelligent. Not pointing out people specifically but talking as a whole. Nobody wants to do research. If Boris says something, they don't want to research it to find out if it's even true. If Cameron says something, they don't want to research it. If it sounds good to them, it's true. "Britain is a big country, yep sounds good to me, trade deals will therefore be a piece of piss." I wish the world worked like that but it does shame me that as a society we lap this shit up.

Why as a society when we realise we've been lied to, and it was apparent weeks ago that we'd been lied to many times, why isn't the view of the people 'hang on, he just lied to my face. Maybe I should rethink what I'm doing'. Why isn't it. Why are we content to just overlook it, or feel that the way we deal with this is to instead point to the other side and point out ways that they've lied too. How does that in any way excuse the fact that this person still lied to us. We condone it by doing this. We sidetrack dealing with an important thing and say that because someone else does it too it's okay. 'Yeah but Cameron is a cnut as well.' I'm single, so maybe I'm not the best to talk to about relationships but I strongly doubt if I was trying to entice a girl to leave a guy for me, that the right way of doing it would be to say 'get with me, I do lie but come on, he lies to you too.' Maybe you shouldn't lie to me at all if you want me to come around to your way of thinking. People kicked off after the last election because the Tories got in. Then those same labour voters who kicked off on social media just voted with the tories. The people they hate. They voted with them. They voted for a man who is on public record as making both racist and homophobic remarks who once passed his colleagues home address to a criminal so that he could be beaten up. This is the calibre of the man that people just sided with. Why don't we say 'hang on a minute, you're a disgusting person. I'm not voting for your ideal, why don't you feck off and let someone decent take over'. We don't, we say 'yes he may be a disgusting human, but so is the other guy so it's all fine'. This is ridiculous.

Society as a whole just seems ridiculously unintelligent these days. Nobody wants to ask a question and are too prepared to take whatever sounds good to them at the time. Kick off about Tories, then vote with them and give them the power. Say we're sick of experts, then say we're confident they'll get us an amazing deal. Tell the Bank of England they're scaremongerers who only look after their own interests, trust them to fix the issue. Announce through our votes that we disagree with every single political party in the UK besides UKIP, then ask for a general election.

When a political leader is asked a hard question and just deflects it like Boris deflecting economy questions by saying 'I think we've had enough of project fear'. Why did the public not outcry 'hang on, give an answer. You just dismissed it without even considering it'. Boris's answer should have been 'I think we've had enough of project fear, what you're proposing isn't going to happen because A, B and C.' But he didn't. And nobody cared about that. Can we really kick off about the way politicians behave when we're too lazy to demand the treatment we deserve?
Brilliant post Zarlak, I completely agree. This vote is a damning indictment on post-Industrial Britain and how we, as a society have pro(re)gressed since the advent of Thatcher and her neoliberal reforms. What should have been the start of a new era with Blair, just sank further into some morally ambiguous ideological sinkhole, with policies being neither here nor there, and the toxic legacy of the Iraq War being felt to this day, and will continue to be felt by the coming generations...

... In the end, I am just saddened by it all.

NinjaFletch

I'm not particularly convinced those that didn't vote would've voted remain, either. Young people engaged in politics tend to be left wing and more likely to want to remain but I'm not sure that's true of young people who aren't engaged.
It depends on why they didn't vote.

For example the Times (I think) reported that there were some at Glastonbury who said they would vote Remain but hadn't sorted our a postal vote or proxy and some will be the people caught in London who couldn't vote.

But yes, its hard to say which way the people that were so thick to not bother even voting on this would have gone.

SwansonsTache

The fact you keep making this about the 'left wing' shows just how warped you are.

These labels are pointless and have been for years.
Yes I am 'warped', as a matter of fact for 12 years I have been a member of the largely right-wing party that is in government in Norway currently.

And we have exactly the same left-wing here that you have there. The very same left-wing wanted to put our TWO public votes about not joining the EU aside and let the political establishment decide "what was best for the people" here as well.

When conservative or right-wing political parties does stuff like that it is called fascism, when the liberals and the left-side does it, then it is called "what is best for the people"

Don't Kill Bill

Imagine an independent Scotland 10 years down the road vetoing England's re-entry into the EU.
Why not imagine a Bankrupt Scotland 10 years down the line begging for Union with England, I mean that is how Scotland joined the Union in the first place so its not as far fetched.

Will Absolute

There was very little in the result and it was swung by lies. If they had won fair and square I'd have no qualms about the result.
But however the victory was won, you'd find reasons to say it wasn't 'fair and square'. So your phony allegiance to fairness will never get in the way of your prejudices.

Minimalist

If it still exists in its present form in 10 years, and that's far from certain, Europe would welcome back the prodigal with open arms. The EU is stronger with Britain than without it.
Nice conjecture. Tell us another one.

Yes I am warped, as a matter of fact for 12 years I have been a member of the largely right-wing party that is in government in Norway currently.

And we have exactly the same left-wing here that you have there. The very same left-wing wanted to put our TWO public votes about not joining the EU aside and let the political establishment decide "what was best for the people" here as well.

When conservative or right-wing political parties does stuff like that it is called fascism, when the liberals and the left-side does it, then it is called "what is best for the people"
You went off on one there. I didn't deny there is parties who align themselves as left or right wing (or centrist).

I mean individual people are not necessarily left or right wing - they vote or would vote for a range of things that contradict the political compass. So calling the remainers 'left wing' is just lazy and dumb. Plenty of conversative wanted to remain too you eejit.

Untied

Yes I am 'warped', as a matter of fact for 12 years I have been a member of the largely right-wing party that is in government in Norway currently.

:lol: Accusing the left of fascism for wanting to fight a result being celebrated by fascists across Europe

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I say a group of about 100 conservative MP's caused this referendum to happen. Cameron relented, and we'll have to suffer the consequences. This is hardly democratic.

The public was duped with many falsehoods. Many brexit voters made their decisions for reasons beyond anything to do European Union.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
I say a group of about 100 conservative MP's caused this referendum to happen. Cameron relented, and we'll have to suffer the consequences. This is hardly democratic.

The public was duped with many falsehoods. Many brexit voters made their decisions for reasons beyond anything to do European Union.
His legacy shattered by a stupid, arrogant gamble

SwansonsTache

Nice conjecture. Tell us another one.

You went off on one there. I didn't deny there is parties who align themselves as left or right wing (or centrist).

I mean individual people are not necessarily left or right wing - they vote or would vote for a range of things that contradict the political compass. So calling the remainers 'left wing' is just lazy and dumb. Plenty of conversative wanted to remain too you eejit.
I see that most of the people that want a re-vote have no problem calling the people who voted to leave 'racists' 'uneducated pillocks' and the like, so I guess grouping the people who voted remain for largely left-wing isn't far off.

I won't even comment on the namecalling since I largely don't care much for such simpleton behaviour.

:lol: Accusing the left of fascism for wanting to fight a result being celebrated by fascists across Europe
Yes, everyone opposed to the EU is fascist. And being against people wanting to throw democracy and a legal vote overboard just since the result didn't swing the way they wanted is also clearly fascist.