Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Here we must agree to differ.
Well why don't you point out what you happen to think is illogical about what I'm saying and I'll then proceed to explain why it's perfectly logical.

Also if you don't like the tone of my posts, which are hardly 'splenetic', you'll just have to deal with it.

Carolina Red

Staff
I think it's funny that it is telling Poles to leave the EU and not the UK.

The Poles should make their own little cards saying "Thanks to you, we already did"

Will Absolute

Well why don't you point out what you happen to think is illogical about what I'm saying and I'll then proceed to explain why it's perfectly logical.

Also if you don't like the tone of my posts, which are hardly 'splenetic', you'll just have to deal with it.
Too tedious. I'd prefer to watch football.

I suppose a couple of my posts bordered on insulting, so I apologize for that. I really have nothing against you personally.

Ixion

That card doesnt make any sense. It should say go back to the EU.

Sky News: Several bidders unlikely to take over Tata Steel due to UK leaving the EU

villain

Hates Beyoncé
On Sky News - several bidders are now unlikely to take over Tata Steel due to the UK leaving the EU.

Ironically a lot of Welsh people i've spoken to, voted Leave because of the Tata Steel situation, and hoped Brexit would resolve this.

Yikes.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Weren't a lot of Polish people voting Leave too?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Too tedious. I'd prefer to watch football.

I suppose a couple of my posts bordered on insulting, so I apologize for that. I really have nothing against you personally.
No offense taken, it's a contentious issue and the way things have turned out there's bound to be disagreements.

I feel strongly about it as it's likely to effect my future so I'd just like to see right prevail over wrong.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
On Sky News - several bidders are now unlikely to take over Tata Steel due to the UK leaving the EU.

Ironically a lot of Welsh people i've spoken to, voted Leave because of the Tata Steel situation, and hoped Brexit would resolve this.

Yikes.
A lot of people don't seem to think long term in that case, for a company like Nissan or Tata Steel it's much easier to relocate as a long-term investment then work on a 3-4 month basis.

Or a downscale over a period of 2 years, whilst porting over machinery and downscaling the workforce. I'm surprised people in towns which such EU investment and off-shore investment would vote against the EU.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Yikes.
Saw this. That's gone well then.

DomesticTadpole

A lot of people don't seem to think long term in that case, for a company like Nissan or Tata Steel it's much easier to relocate as a long-term investment then work on a 3-4 month basis.

Or a downscale over a period of 2 years, whilst porting over machinery and downscaling the workforce. I'm surprised people in towns which such EU investment and off-shore investment would vote against the EU.
Think they are going to get a surprise now that they have.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

There was a clear lack of availability of facts, and just propaganda. From both sides.

C'est Moi Cantona

Why would doomsday happen unnless the Remain camp were right in the first place?
Of course, I was merely trying to rally a bit of moral but failed miserly, like I said in later replies to this posts I did not vote out out, I just refuse to be dragged into the vacuum of despair that is this tread.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know

Yikes.
Shot themselves in the head, well done everyone

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know

Someone put it nicely. Every 4 years a new model of car is produced. This may need new equipment. Now do Nissan expand in Sunderland or somewhere in the EU the next time this choice has to be made?

Ixion

The thing that upsets me the most about the result is the breaking up of the United Kingdom. It should have basically been on the ballot, Remain in the EU and the UK or leave the EU and Break-up the UK.

Scotland will leave and now the Tories will have even more power in Westminster and an easier time winning General Elections.

DomesticTadpole

The thing that upsets me the most about the result is the breaking up of the United Kingdom. It should have basically been on the ballot, Remain in the EU and the UK or leave the EU and Break-up the UK.

Scotland will leave and now the Tories will have even more power in Westminster and an easier time winning General Elections.
We'll have to have a revolution, bring the lot down.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I agree with @Sultan that democracy would be totally destroyed if the Government ignored the referendum result.

This was the biggest turnout for any vote in decades. 17 million people voted for Brexit. I wasn't one of them. But can you imagine the Prime Minister turning around to those 17 million people and going 'nice one lads but it was just bantz. We're not actually gonna leave'? It'd destroy any faith in the democratic process.

What I disagree with you on Sults is that people voted in ignorance. That is just not true. We were all told, repeatedly, this will f-k you up: The Prime Minister said it, the Treasury said it, the Bank of England said it. We were told over and over, your family could end up poorer. People can't say 'I didn't know.' What they should admit is 'I knew but I just believed it was "project fear."' People were told but they didn't believe the warnings.

There was nothing fixed or unfair about this vote. People got the information they needed to make a choice. Lord knows, I was scared enough about a recession and what might happen with my job that I voted remain. Other people just felt differently. That's democracy I guess. Now we just need to see what the consequences are.

PS) Not to Sults but to people bigging up David Lammy. David Lammy knows Parliament has no control over foreign treaties. As soon as article 50 is triggered its not up to us anyway. We could make a new law saying we're still in the EU. That wouldn't mean the EU would have to accept it. A divorce is a two way thing. You can't tell your wife to get bent and then, if you change your mind, just expect she'll take you back!

Untied

Also the likely fallout will be EEA membership which will piss off Leave voters no end. But that anger will hurt Labour more than the Tories. Look forward to a FPTP choice between Conservatives and UKIP.

Carolina Red

Staff
I agree with @Sultan
PS) Not to Sults but to people bigging up David Lammy. David Lammy knows Parliament has no control over foreign treaties. As soon as article 50 is triggered its not up to us anyway. We could make a new law saying we're still in the EU. That wouldn't mean the EU would have to accept it. A divorce is a two way thing. You can't tell your wife to get bent and then, if you change your mind, just expect she'll take you back!
It is up to Parliament to accept or to reject the results of the referendum... the "divorce" hasn't actually been decided yet.

Siorac

I see that most of the people that want a re-vote have no problem calling the people who voted to leave 'racists' 'uneducated pillocks' and the like, so I guess grouping the people who voted remain for largely left-wing isn't far off.

I won't even comment on the namecalling since I largely don't care much for such simpleton behaviour.

Yes, everyone opposed to the EU is fascist. And being against people wanting to throw democracy and a legal vote overboard just since the result didn't swing the way they wanted is also clearly fascist.
Democracy does not equal 'do everything that a very narrow majority wants'. That does not even work in a representative democracy: most countries do have certain laws that cannot be amended or repealed without a qualified majority in parliament.

This referendum isn't legally binding and the significance of its two alternatives are vastly different. Remain would have meant maintaining the status quo: this does not change lives, careers, plans. Life would go on for everyone as it has. With Leave, everything will change. And it's irreversible.

I think it's an absolute farce that such a decision, once left to a referendum, didn't require a qualified majority. Leaving should only happen if at least two thirds of society wants it, simply because it has an impact on everyone and because it's irreversible. I also think the process in this case was a travesty, considering that those who voted Leave did so without having any idea of when and how that's going to happen, what will be the terms of the exit. That is not democratic. If Britain ends up like Norway (that is, they'll be part of the EEA, pay into the EU structural funds, accept freedom of movement but will have no say in policy) can you say that the will of the British people prevailed? That democracy won? Because I don't think that most leavers had such a deal in mind.

I'm not British, I don't live in the UK so it's not that I 'can't accept the result' or anything like that.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
It is up to Parliament to accept or to reject the results of the referendum... the "divorce" hasn't actually been decided yet.
Its not. Its up to the Government. All Parliament votes on are laws and money.

Foreign affairs, including declarations of war, are technically, the royal prerogative. The Government does not need to hold any vote on the referendum. Cameron could actually go to Brussels tomorrow and say we're out.

Also the likely fallout will be EEA membership which will piss off Leave voters no end. But that anger will hurt Labour more than the Tories. Look forward to a FPTP choice between Conservatives and UKIP.
I don't think they can go for EEA membership. That's exactly the same as being in the EU, just without any say about the rules you have to follow. Considering how many people clearly voted based on migration, that was the focus of the leave campaign for the last six weeks, there would be social chaos if we still had free movement.

David Cameron's deal was actually quite good. Under its terms we could've kicked out any EU migrant here for six months who hadn't found a job. The EU won't give us anything like that again.

Carolina Red

Staff

Foreign affairs, including declarations of war, are technically, the royal prerogative. The Government does not need to hold any vote on the referendum. Cameron could actually go to Brussels tomorrow and say we're out.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32810887
Could MPs block an EU exit?
Could the necessary legislation pass the Commons, given that a lot of MPs - all SNP and Lib Dems, nearly all Labour and many Conservatives - were in favour of staying?

The referendum result is not legally binding - Parliament still has to pass the laws that will get Britain out of the 28 nation bloc, starting with the repeal of the 1972 European Communities Act.

The withdrawal agreement also has to be ratified by Parliament - the House of Lords and/or the Commons could vote against ratification
http://www.businessinsider.com/green-eu-referendum-not-legally-binding-brexit-2016-6
A really crucial detail about the upcoming EU referendum has gone virtually unmentioned, and it is probably the most crucial detail: Parliament doesn't actually have to bring Britain out of the EU if the public votes for it.

That is because the result of the June 23 referendum on Britain's EU membership is not legally binding. Instead, it is merely advisory, and, in theory, could be totally ignored by the UK government.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics...ng-brexit-lisbon-cameron-sovereign-parliament
The simple answer to the question as to whether the EU referendum is legally binding is “no”. In theory, in the event of a vote to leave the EU, David Cameron, who opposes Brexit, could decide to ignore the will of the people and put the question to MPs banking on a majority deciding to remain.

This is because parliament is sovereign and referendums are generally not binding in the UK.
http://www.theweek.co.uk/eu-referendum/73775/is-the-eu-referendum-result-legally-binding
In the final days of campaigning, a few politicians noticed that "a really crucial detail about the upcoming EU referendum has gone virtually unmentioned," said the International Business Times. Is the result legally binding?

The short answer is no: in a Parliamentary democracy such as the UK, MPs could overturn the result

Minimalist

I don't think they can go for EEA membership. That's exactly the same as being in the EU, just without any say about the rules you have to follow. Considering how many people clearly voted based on migration, that was the focus of the leave campaign for the last six weeks, there would be social chaos if we still had free movement.

David Cameron's deal was actually quite good. Under its terms we could've kicked out any EU migrant here for six months who hadn't found a job. The EU won't give us anything like that again.
So let me get this straight: you actually believe this is going to end up with no free movement? The fact the leave MPs are now admitting 'free movement' will not be a factor in future trade deals is not an indicator?

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
The only hope is to negotiate a new acceptable deal with Europe and ask the nation for a referendum on that platform.
Sot of. The EU won't negotiate new terms for us staying, and shouldn't have to, but what they can do is negotiate new trading terms for when we leave.

Given this new information, then a second referendum could be held on whether to stay, on existing terms, or leave, and accept the new ones.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The only hope is to negotiate a new acceptable deal with Europe and ask the nation for a referendum on that platform.
Can't see that happening at all. What happens now will be a precedent for every country which may weigh up the pros and cons of a referendum/leaving and I'm quite sure that the remaining EU states won't be willing to send any message that encourages it.

I think it could have disastrous consequences for the democratic process if the UK parliament overturns the result of the referendum, from the thousands or millions of people who would completely lose faith in elections, to the people on the fringes of the spectrum who would probably radicalize even further.

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
from another forum, which sums the economical things up for me:

„Brilliant. So, essentially, we will still have to enter the common market in order to trade with the EU, but that requires us to keep the freedom of movement, same as Norway or Switzerland. Also, we will have to pay the fee to enter that market, which is likely to be very close to what we are paying now (oh, the shock! The NHS wont see any of that 350 mil after all!) So, in the grand scheme of things, nothing really changes, but we no longer have any say on how the eu is run. Well done. So clever. But at least we are all now independent and free, right? Right?“

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Can't see that happening at all. What happens now will be a precedent for every country which may weigh up the pros and cons of a referendum/leaving and I'm quite sure that the remaining EU states won't be willing to send any message that encourages it.
A proposed UK deal could be a template for anyone wanting to leave. No further action needed. Remember the EU wouldn't be offering anyone new terms for staying, only those for anyone that leaves.