Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
And Britain isn't in limbo if they are expected to leave the EU and no one knows how the new treaties will turn out? I imagine such uncertainty won't exactly encourage potential investors to do projects in the UK.
We won't, we'll be in the single market still as an EAA. Freedom of meovement will still happen. Johnson and Gove couldn't care less about immigrants and UKIP will now go the way of the dodo. Farage has already been sidelined from the party. We've basically given the old tory party exactly what they wanted. Not much will actually change.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Obviously they never expected to win.

As someone pointed out, it's becoming very clear not much will change in two/three years time. Except Britain will have weakened itself politically in Europe.
At the moment I think that's the best possible outcome.

Whatever Britain may want, after article 50 is triggered, what the EU is willing to give us will depend on co-decision between the European Council and the European Parliament. There are lots of people in the European Parliament who despised us before the Brexit vote. Now we've left they will do everything in their power to hurt us.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Obviously they never expected to win.

As someone pointed out, it's becoming very clear not much will change in two/three years time. Except Britain will have weakened itself politically in Europe.
If I was Boris Id go to Brussels with an army of EU experts and never leave the damn place until I get some concession, whatever it is. Surely the EU can give something, anything really, to avoid recession on both sides of the barricade. After that I would call for a second referendum and hope that the xenophobics, the dreamers and the morons wont screw up second time round.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We won't, we'll be in the single market still as an EAA. Freedom of meovement will still happen. Johnson and Gove couldn't care less about immigrants and UKIP will now go the way of the dodo. Farage has already been sidelined from the party. We've basically given the old tory party exactly what they wanted. Not much will actually change.
So it was a waste of time really? Same stuff just different front men?

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Seeing how we all know the real reason why people mainly want to leave the union, wouldn't it be wise of the EU to start giving sovereign states back control over their borders (a lot of countries has already put border checks back) and restrict the free movement part of the union?

Genuine question. That is probably mainly why this vote came about in the first place, and why you also see a lot of campaigning for similar votes to be had in other countries.

Council leaders want Government to make up for the shortfall of millions from EU funds that will be lost

Where do they imagine this money will come from? The UK still has a budget deficit of over £70 billion doesn't it? Eight years after the financial crisis too.

DomesticTadpole

If I was Boris Id go to Brussels with an army of EU experts and never leave the damn place until I get some concession, whatever it is. Surely the EU can give something, anything really, to avoid recession on both sides of the barricade. After that I would call for a second referendum and hope that the xenophobics, the dreamers and the morons wont screw up second time round.
I think that elderly couple above might change their mind, if they want to talk to their grandchildren again.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
So all this making us great again is a porkie as well?
The whole thing was a porkie. The old tories may have just played the greatest political chess move in history. You think they give 2 shits about immigrants or the working class. No they used a populist vote to get what they wanted and though everyone will be telling you otherwise, at the moment the EU is actually in a lot more trouble than the UK.

Hammerfell

The bitter, jaded part of me is looking forward to how the dullards who voted for leave "cuz imagrunts" react when they realise if anything it'll probably get worse. They're going to get stepped on by the very people they thought were helping them.

devilish

I think that elderly couple above might change their mind, if they want to talk to their grandchildren again.
I think it would be a better to conduct a referendum were you the elderly people can't vote. Its a decision for the future after all. Alternatively involve British expats or relax the restrictions imposed over EU immigrants working in Britain. This effect them too

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys

Where do they imagine this money will come from? The UK still has a budget deficit of over £70 billion doesn't it? Eight years after the financial crisis too.
The 350m a week innit

DomesticTadpole

The whole thing was a porkie. The old tories may have just played the greatest political chess move in history. You think they give 2 shits about immigrants or the working class. No they used a populist vote to get what they wanted and though everyone will be telling you otherwise, at the moment the EU is actually in a lot more trouble than the UK.
Hope they are ready for the backlash, when they throw everyone under the bus.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Well.. let's say it really is that easy and predictable, then the EU isn't exactly in limbo either.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
And if I'm the EU I tell Boris to trigger the article 50 or publicly abandon that idea.

starman

Does anyone know the figures Norway pay into the EU. The only figures i can find is £295m per year. Where was the U.K's net is £8.5 billion. Is this right?
I know its based on population, but wouldn't that still workout on under 4 billion under Norway the style system?

Is it such a great chess move? Once we trigger article 50 we have two years to get a new deal, if the terms of that deal aren't agreed by the Commission, the European Council and the European Parliament, we are out with no deal. Not even EEA. Nothing. Does Martin Schultz strike you as someone who wants to play nice with us? Jean Claude Juncker?

Yes, if we're out after two years there will be no free movement but there will no free trade either.

The longer we go without triggering article 50, the more the 17 million people who voted for leave are going to start demanding its done. If it isn't done soon I guarantee you that UKIP will have a breakthrough at the next election. Rather than great chess, if people backing leave did this solely for their own ambitions they have snookered themselves. They have literally nowhere to go.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Seeing how we all know the real reason why people mainly want to leave the union, wouldn't it be wise of the EU to start giving sovereign states back control over their borders (a lot of countries has already put border checks back) and restrict the free movement part of the union?

Genuine question. That is probably mainly why this vote came about in the first place, and why you also see a lot of campaigning for similar votes to be had in other countries.
They already have control over their borders, I don't who you have been listening to.

SwansonsTache

Does anyone know the figures Norway pay into the EU. The only figures i can find is £295m per year. Where was the U.K's net is £8.5 billion. Is this right?
I know its based on population, but wouldn't that still workout on under 4 billion under Norway the style system?
we pay 391m euros.

Skills

Snitch

Didn't Yorkshire vote leave? Feck them. It's down to them to deal with it now.

And if I'm the EU I tell Boris to trigger the article 50 or publicly abandon that idea.
This.

Once article 50 is triggered the EU can literally send its negotiators to sit laughing in a room for two years, then kick the UK out with no deal. No EEA, no customs agreement like Turkey, nothing, not a damn thing.

If the Leave campaigners don't agree to trigger article 50 they are all finished. They will have no credibility. It was the biggest vote in history, 17 million backed them, to turn around and say it was all for the lolz will see them done in British politics. Nobody will trust or vote for them on anything again.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
It is population and what they add to the EU per head.

Looking at a few articles they tend to agree that the price per head is similar if not identical to the UK. Of course we may be able to push for a better deal, but they also argue it could be a lot worse.

All in all....know one really knows.

devilish

I've worked very close to politicians in the past whose neither Tories nor British for all that matter. You lose count of how many times they blame the EU and all for the most ridiculous of reasons. The EU gives the local politician an easy excuse. The EU bureaucrats don't answer back and in all honestly they cant care less because they are there to see the bigger picture (which in reality its something the EU need to reform). Also its not as if an aggrieved Devilish or Gambit will fly to Brussels and confront Juncker would they?

I think that all the Tories did was feeding a cub just enough to grow but not enough not to become nasty. Once that lion was given an opening (ie a referendum) they thought that it wont break out and attack. It was a stupid move to do

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
They say they want to make us Great Britain again, yet it could end up just us and Wales and they might just make us a complete non-entity.
Hi obviously I am not English and don't understand all the nuances. But the Leave movement had some pretty dodgy advocates; BJ, The Sun, etc. And those so profoundly concerned about immigration appear to have engineered an EU border along Hadrians Wall, between England and Scotland. I have a feeling this is just the start of a set of processes. Its like a set of spreading fractals, like cracks in the surface of a lake. I do tend to agree with some of the Leave advocates that this decision might not be all negative for England (and for the rest of us), but as someone said, the overriding sense is of a needless act of self harm.

I don't know. Figuring out the effect of this is like trying to guess six moves ahead in chess. A massive recession? The breakup of the EU? A United Ireland? Dublin/Glasgow as major financial centres? England, flat broke, asking to join the Euro in ten years? A brief period of uncertainty, followed by a Norway type deal between the UK and EU, heralding a new era of prosperity? The rise of fascism in Europe, and dreadful, unimaginable repeats of history? Worrying, and oddly hopeful, times.

SwansonsTache

Schengen allows EU citizens to move, it doesn't forbid control.
No, but the EU heavily opposes against it. I remember the uproar from EU when Denmark wanted to reinstate border control on the border they share with Germany.

devilish

Now you're being the destructive one. :)

The EU won't be entertained with it but would probably listen. Let face it no one wants another recession and that's exactly would happen if Britain leaves. Don't take me wrong, it will be a give and take thing and the Tories reputation will end up damaged by it. However Im confident that it can be done

DomesticTadpole

Hi obviously I am not English and don't understand all the nuances. But the Leave movement had some pretty dodgy advocates; BJ, The Sun, etc. And those so profoundly concerned about immigration appear to have engineered an EU border along Hadrians Wall, between England and Scotland. I have a feeling this is just the start of a set of processes. Its like a set of spreading fractals, like cracks in the surface of a lake. I do tend to agree with some of the Leave advocates that this decision might not be all negative for England (and for the rest of us), but as someone said, the overriding sense is of a needless act of self harm.

I don't know. Figuring out the effect of this is like trying to guess six moves ahead in chess. A massive recession? The breakup of the EU? A United Ireland? Dublin/Glasgow as major financial centres? England, flat broke, asking to join the Euro in ten years? A brief period of uncertainty, followed by a Norway type deal between the UK and EU, heralding a new era of prosperity? The rise of fascism in Europe, and dreadful, unimaginable repeats of history? Worrying, and oddly hopeful, times.
It was not necessary and the first ones to moan when times get tough will be the ones who caused it.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
So ye pay a lot, don't ye have to obey some of the rules of the market as well.
EU regulation without representation
Despite, some greater flexibility over agriculture, fisheries and external trade, if the UK were to opt for a Norwegian-style relationship it would still be bound by great swathes of the EU regulation that rankles with businesses and the general public, but – and this is the crucial point – without any vote on it. We noted in our Brexit study that if the UK were to ‘become like Norway’ by joining EEA, 93 out of the 100 costliest EU-derived regulations would remain in place at a cost of £31.4bn per year (94.3% of the total cost). This is because many EU policy areas would continue to apply to the UK including financial services, social and employments laws, energy and climate change policies, and this is where the bulk of the regulatory cost stems from.

http://openeurope.org.uk/today/blog/what-would-a-norway-style-relationship-with-the-eu-entail/

No, but the EU heavily opposes against it. I remember the uproar from EU when Denmark wanted to reinstate border control on the border they share with Germany.
Schengen is dead. Legally or not. Loads of countries have reimposed borders in response to the migrant crisis. France reimposed borders, justifiably so, after it noted that Belgium was incapable of stopping terrorists from leaving Moelenbeek and killing people in Paris.

Do you think Hollande will go up against Le Pen promising to bring back Schengen? Do people think the German federal elections will be fought with AfD being able tell everyone Merkel wants to let terrorists in?

the hea

we pay 391m euros.
According to this you're average payments will be about €860 million a year until 2021.

http://www.eu-norway.org/eu/Financial-contribution/#.V27nJzWTQ4U

For the period 2014 – 2021, Norway’s annual contribution to 15 beneficialry states through the current EEA and Norway Grants scheme will be 388 million euro, pending ratification of the agreement.

Norway participates in a number of EU programmes through provisions in the EEA Agreement or on the basis of bilateral agreements with the EU. The largest are the Horizon 2020 and, Erasmus+, Galileo and Copernicus. Norway (and our EEA partners Iceland and Liechtenstein) contributes to the budget of the programmes we participate in. For the period 2014 – 2020, Norway’s average annual commitment is 447 million euro.

Norway’s cooperation with the EU in the field of justice and home affairs, including participation in the Schengen cooperation and agreements on cooperation in various areas, also entails some financial contributions. The annual contribution in 2015 was almost 6 million Euro.

In addition, for the period 2014 – 2020, Norway contributes around 25 million euro annually for our contribution in programmes under the European Territorial Cooperation INTERREG.