g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GloryHunter07

Yes I think she's stupid. There's no other reason she's coming up with a proposition that has already been rejected. She is trying to get the likes of France and Germany to put pressure on the other member states to accept her offer.
I think Greece tried to use this tactic in the early days of Syriza. It didnt work.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Do I think they’ll round us all up and kick us out? No I don’t. Do I think that potentially we could face laborious residency procedures we currently don’t have, including spending hours queuing at town halls like my non-EU friends already have to? Sure. Do I think that as I’m planning on applying for citizenship after 5 years, that I’ll have to start meticulously tracking any trip out of the country I make so I can prove I qualify? Maybe. Do I think that no deal could lead to the wonderfully friendly people of Europe having a much worse opinion of English people like me, with potentially worse effects on my life here? Sure.

From the day after Brexit the EU heads of state came out one after another to reassure us Brits in their countries that we were welcome and they’d help us however they could. Whitehall said nothing and then started talking about us as bargaining chips. No. 10 were the ones who insisted on the ‘Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed’ because they wanted to use the 3.5m EU citizens in the UK as leverage, and feck the Brits abroad.

So yeah, I’d like to know exactly what is going to change in my life in just 9 months time. I don’t think that’s a particularly unreasonable request.
But i dont know any Brit that thinks like this in NL. I dont hear any of the dozens of chinese i work with complaining of hard procedures. In fact i just hear it from people on here. The Dutch dint offer dual nationality but are going to do so for brits with brexit. Have your govt offered the same? They could do if they wanted. As someone entitled to dutch passport why are me and my mates not applying for one?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
She is playing for the british audience, thinking that most people don't read official papers, because I'm pretty sure that this was in the last white paper. Your alternative is way too scary.
She's on her way to Merkel. She's going to tell her not to dismiss the plan. She's still of the opinion Merkel can tell the EU what to do.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
But i dont know any Brit that thinks like this in NL. I dont hear any of the dozens of chinese i work with complaining of hard procedures. In fact i just hear it from people on here. The Dutch dint offer dual nationality but are going to do so for brits with brexit. Have your govt offered the same? They could do if they wanted. As someone entitled to dutch passport why are me and my mates not applying for one?
Perhaps the Dutch residency system is easier and better than the French one? I have American friends who regularly have to spend 3-5 hours queuing up at the city hall, and endless demands and regulation on their documentation. The French love their paperwork.

France already allowed dual citizenship, so at least that’s not as big an issue. The potential issue is how smooth that process will or won’t be. Huge numbers of Brits here already did it after Brexit, and apparently how easy or crushingly hard it is depends completely on the particular town hall you have to use. For some it was a complete breeze and for others a total nightmare. We’ll see. I just hope my government doesn’t totally antagonize the French in the remaining time. If Brexit ends up costing thousands of French people jobs, they’re not likely to be feeling very friendly towards us.

Rajma

They can come up with all the creative trade partnerships in the world but it's all worthless and simply waste of taxpayers money by focusing on priorities which won't resolve the Irish border issue if the free movement of people remains a red line.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
What other explanation do you have for her presenting an offer that's been rejected?
We are going in circles.
David David:
To be honest I actually think she is counting on it being rejected as they can then spin it that they tried by offering a couple of alternatives, they even went back with a third option but the nasty EU rejected them all - its their fault that we now have to have a full on hard brexit and a border in Ireland

Adisa

To be honest I actually think she is counting on it being rejected as they can then spin it that they tried by offering a couple of alternatives, they even went back with a third option but the nasty EU rejected them all - its their fault that we now have to have a full on hard brexit and a border in Ireland
What self respecting trading block allows a low tariff country on its border collect tariffs on its behalf?
This shit is why the "meaningful vote" bill was so important. We are at the mercy of a bunch of loons.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Good luck getting the other 26 to agree too.
I think Ireland would - Im pretty sure Belgium and Holland would be likely, Poland and Germany I think probably.... but beyond that I think it starts to become a bit more tricky.... (most telling though is that this was said just after taking over the rotating presidency - is it one person off the cuff or is it something that has been spoken about in corridors etc as a preferred way of kicking the can down the road by a year or two)

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Perhaps the Dutch residency system is easier and better than the French one? I have American friends who regularly have to spend 3-5 hours queuing up at the city hall, and endless demands and regulation on their documentation. The French love their paperwork.

France already allowed dual citizenship, so at least that’s not as big an issue. The potential issue is how smooth that process will or won’t be. Huge numbers of Brits here already did it after Brexit, and apparently how easy or crushingly hard it is depends completely on the particular town hall you have to use. For some it was a complete breeze and for others a total nightmare. We’ll see. I just hope my government doesn’t totally antagonize the French in the remaining time. If Brexit ends up costing thousands of French people jobs, they’re not likely to be feeling very friendly towards us.
Thats France for you, still stuck in the 70s.

Fully Fledged

He did mentioned it at the end which makes the previous lines strange from a cognitive standpoint.
I was about to say we haven't left yet until I read the line where he said I know we haven't left yet. Then I thought doesn't that acknowledgement make the rest of the post redundant?

Fully Fledged

She's on her way to Merkel. She's going to tell her not to dismiss the plan. She's still of the opinion Merkel can tell the EU what to do.
But Merkel isn't in a very strong position at the moment. If she pushes too far she could find herself out of office.

Fully Fledged

I think Ireland would - Im pretty sure Belgium and Holland would be likely, Poland and Germany I think probably.... but beyond that I think it starts to become a bit more tricky.... (most telling though is that this was said just after taking over the rotating presidency - is it one person off the cuff or is it something that has been spoken about in corridors etc as a preferred way of kicking the can down the road by a year or two)
Without the issue of the boarder being solved? Not a chance.

Adisa

But Merkel isn't in a very strong position at the moment. If she pushes too far she could find herself out of office.
Really doesn't matter how strong or weak Merkel is. She can't make the other countries take a deal. Furthermore,the EU is legally restricted in what it can accept. It can't legally accept free movement of goods but not services and people. That would be breaking the Maastricht Treaty.

Adisa

the entire point is they are voting to keep things as they are whilst a solution is found... I think Ireland would vote for that rather than having to implement a hard boarder in March 2019
The problem is May and Davis want a time limit to that back stop. The EU won't accept a time limit. Think May has already conceded on that but I'm not sure.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
the entire point is they are voting to keep things as they are whilst a solution is found... I think Ireland would vote for that rather than having to implement a hard boarder in March 2019
To make that point clear, it's not "keep things as they are" but an extension of the withdrawal period and the extension is subjected to the unanimous agreement of the member states. The other alternative is according to WTO an actual FTA pre agreement otherwise, we have to apply WTO rules.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
To make that point clear, it's not "keep things as they are" but an extension of the withdrawal period and the extension is subjected to the unanimous agreement of the member states. The other alternative is according to WTO an actual FTA pre agreement otherwise, we have to apply WTO rules.
yes but whilst the withdrawal period trade remains as it is now - which would negate the need for a boarder solution by March 2019 which lets be honest looks unlikely

JPRouve

Scout
yes but whilst the withdrawal period trade remains as it is now - which would negate the need for a boarder solution by March 2019 which lets be honest looks unlikely
Whilst the withdrawal period remains the UK benefits from all EU perks, the budget period ends in 2020, what do we do? Do we budget with or without the UK? If we budget with the UK will they pay until the end of the budget period or create a hole in the finances? How long can the extension go, because it's creating a lot of uncertainty for professionals?

The reality is that from a practical standpoint, it's best for the EU that the UK leave in march 2019 or at worst march 2020. After that it creates more problems than anything. After two years, the government is still unable to to tell us what type of relationship they want, one more year isn't likely to make them wiser.

caid

Honestly i think extending negotiations will be a hard sell. Particularly without a solution to the NI border. You've been negotiating for a pretty long time and I can't think of a single thing thats been agreed on.
If you actually had a vaguely realistic position or demands it'd would help but without serious progress more or less now i think most, if not all, members will be inclined to say feck it and move on in a years time.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Honestly i think extending negotiations will be a hard sell. Particularly without a solution to the NI border. You've been negotiating for a pretty long time and I can't think of a single thing thats been agreed on.
If you actually had a vaguely realistic position or demands it'd would help but without serious progress more or less now i think most, if not all, members will be inclined to say feck it and move on in a years time.
I'd say it's much worse from that because they haven't actually come up with anything. Anything they do present to the EU is just pure fantasy with no actual factual explanation or reasoning behind it.

"Oh we 100% agree to not have a border between NI and ROI"
"Great, how?"
"ehh.. technology n' shit?"

caid

Ireland is probably pushing the current deadline harder than anyone tbh. We dont want a proposal to the NI border, we want a specific solution to it. There wont be a better chance to force it than now. If the other 27 are prepared to continue negotiations despite the lack of agreement on NI, then were under a lot of pressure to go along with it. So ... yeah.
Germany would benefit from allowing it but ... I think they'll back Ireland up, their government is pretty pro EU. At least as long a fair majority of other governments weren't in support.
I'm sure theres plenty of anti EU governments knocking about Europe that could be convinced.

Oscie

I think the r27 would prefer we stayed. As much as 'they need us as much as we need them' is bollocks, they would rather avoid the economic impact if we left all the same

Fully Fledged

Ireland is probably pushing the current deadline harder than anyone tbh. We dont want a proposal to the NI border, we want a specific solution to it. There wont be a better chance to force it than now. If the other 27 are prepared to continue negotiations despite the lack of agreement on NI, then were under a lot of pressure to go along with it. So ... yeah.
Germany would benefit from allowing it but ... I think they'll back Ireland up, their government is pretty pro EU. At least as long a fair majority of other governments weren't in support.
I'm sure theres plenty of anti EU governments knocking about Europe that could be convinced.
That's what I was saying.

caid

I think the r27 would prefer we stayed. As much as 'they need us as much as we need them' is bollocks, they would rather avoid the economic impact if we left all the same
I think its a bit of brinkmanship. Basically saying 'no deal, is better than a bad deal' back to you.

Oscie

I think its a bit of brinkmanship. Basically saying 'no deal, is better than a bad deal' back to you.

No deal with an agreement that status quo until agreement is reached is better than a bad deal. In fact that's better than any deal short of some kind of Blow Job Fridays arrangement.

JPRouve

Scout
No deal with an agreement that status quo until agreement is reached is better than a bad deal. In fact that's better than any deal short of some kind of Blow Job Fridays arrangement.
The key is to define "status quo".

Oscie

The key is to define "status quo".

From the 27's point of view, continued membership on same terms. The issue of May not being able to sell their to her party is moot on account of the fact she can't sell no deal with WTO rules or any kind of deal good or bad.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Not really though. It leaves the EU in a constant state of uncertainty not knowing when the UK could leave.

Oscie

But practically:

No deal - WTO rules. Needs to be ratified
Deal (good/bad). Needs to be ratified
Nothing changing - no ratification needed.

If the 28 as a collective agree to push back/indefinitely postpone with withdrawal process there is no need for parliament to ratify that. It will make May's position effectively untenable but she won't need to win a Parliamentary vote on that as she would the other outcomes.

JPRouve

Scout
From the 27's point of view, continued membership on same terms. The issue of May not being able to sell their to her party is moot on account of the fact she can't sell no deal with WTO rules or any kind of deal good or bad.
But that causes a budget problem. What could work is a transition until the end of the next period(2024), that way everyone in every fields is relax and can plan correctly. At the exception of May and Tories who will be under pressure during the next elections.

caid

Suppose it is, I think its a negotiating tactic, I dont think they're that keen on the plan. Cant imagine they'll be keen on negotiating the UK's contribution to future budgets, that would probably be one of the few stumbling blocks. Mays ability to hold the UK in limbo indefinitely seems kind of questionable but I guess no one is jumping at the chance to be the one to pull the UK out of the EU and that probably wont change.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
There's no think about it to be fair. It's obviously much better for the EU if the UK stay in.

Losing the city of London as the central financial district for example causes shitloads of problems.

EyeInTheSky

Exactly, nobody is that stupid.

However it could be desperation and panick. It makes people Do astoundingly stupid and irrational things