Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Josep Dowling

Some of the comments here are unbelievable.

So because the EU are making it difficult to negotiate and leave we should just remain?

That is like telling a woman to stay in an abusive relationship just because it saves any arguments with her husband.

Not going to make anymore comments because I’m sure all the Brexits ‘experts’ will come shouting down at me. Just remember you can’t predict the future so stop reading scaremongering stories as fact.

GloryHunter07

So because the EU are making it difficult to negotiate and leave we should just remain?

That is like telling a woman to stay in an abusive relationship just because it saves any arguments with her husband.

Not going to make anymore comments because I’m sure all the Brexits ‘experts’ will come shouting down at me. Just remember you can’t predict the future so stop reading scaremongering stories as fact.
What about predictions of a wonderful EU free future?

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.

I believed as well that the stories where just scaremongering but I have seen little evidence or plausible explanation of how things will be better with a hard Brexit.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

Or it could be like someone staying in the relationship that they did well out of anyway for the sake of the kids.

Analogies - generally useless

Rajma

See, you for some reason have it engraved in your mind that EU are making it difficult for UK simply because UK can't have its cake and eat it and been told of that beforehand how does that making it difficult is beyond me.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

The bottom line is that there are no answers or even proposed answers to crucial questions, of which there are many. The blind are literally leading the blind

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Look at you. The PM can't even agree on a position with her cabinet, yet it's the EU making it difficult?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Look at you. The PM can't even agree on a position with her cabinet, yet it's the EU making it difficult?
And the UK are an abused spouse, apparently.

It's funny how the interest of one country is supposed to supersede the interest of 27 in a potential deal. If the UK wants to leave, they can do it right now, no one outside of the UK is preventing them.

FlawlessThaw

And the UK are an abused spouse, apparently.

It's funny how the interest of one country is supposed to supersede the interest of 27 in a potential deal. If the UK wants to leave, they can do it right now, no one outside of the UK is preventing them.
Good point and one unfortunately lost on @Josep Dowling

NinjaFletch

'We're leaving'
'Ok'
'We want to have the house, TV, car, and the kids, but we don't want to give you anything in return'
'Err, that doesn't sound very fair – if you want all that how you take on your share of obligations too?'
'OMG YOU'RE BEING SO ABUSIVE I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE DOING THIS'

Josep Dowling

What about predictions of a wonderful EU free future?
No I didnt say that. There just seems to be this opinion that if we had voted to remain everything would just be wonderful and if we left everything will be a disaster.

Why did people vote to leave? Of course there were people that voted out because of immigration. This is a genuine worry for a lot of people at working class level for work, housing, schools and the NHS. There are far more perks for people moving from Eastern Europe (and potentially Turkey who were trying to join at the time of the vote) to the UK then there is vice versa. The idea of free movement to all European countries mean there will always be more moving to the UK than leaving and this worries people.

There was also a majority that didn’t like the fact the EU has equal vote across all nations. Any policy the UK tried to reject was ignored because every country had an equal vote. David Cameron tried to negotiate fairer terms and was told no by the EU. That doesn’t sound democratic to me that sounds more like a dictatorship working in the exact same way FIFA were under a Blatter. Appease the smaller nations who have an equal vote to remain in power.

Plus the fact that the likes of France and Germany received rebates on their membership whilst the UK always owed more money, even when Germany had a thriving economy. The UK was being used as a cash cow to find the rest of Europe.

On top of this there was the TTIP that the EU was trying to negotiate at the time of the vote. Ironically Trump has now scraped this policy.

However there is this general consensus by remainers that continuing on we were as would have been fine when clearly there were issues that weren’t being resolved.

FlawlessThaw

There was also a majority that didn’t like the fact the EU has equal vote across all nations. Any policy the UK tried to reject was ignored because every country had an equal vote. David Cameron tried to negotiate fairer terms and was told no by the EU. That doesn’t sound democratic to me that sounds more like a dictatorship working in the exact same way FIFA were under a Blatter. Appease the smaller nations who have an equal vote to remain in power.
Might want to brush up what democratic means.

JPRouve

Scout
No I didnt say that. There just seems to be this opinion that if we had voted to remain everything would just be wonderful and if we left everything will be a disaster.

Why did people vote to leave? Of course there were people that voted out because of immigration. This is a genuine worry for a lot of people at working class level for work, housing, schools and the NHS. There are far more perks for people moving from Eastern Europe (and potentially Turkey who were trying to join at the time of the vote) to the UK then there is vice versa. The idea of free movement to all European countries mean there will always be more moving to the UK than leaving and this worries people.

Plus the fact that the likes of France and Germany received rebates on their membership whilst the UK always owed more money, even when Germany had a thriving economy. The UK was being used as a cash cow to find the rest of Europe.

On top of this there was the TTIP that the EU was trying to negotiate at the time of the vote. Ironically Trump has now scraped this policy.

However there is this general consensus by remainers that continuing on we were as would have been fine when clearly there were issues that weren’t being resolved.
- Turkey weren't trying to join and aren't even interested.
- The EU is a foreign policy program, logically every country is sovereign and his voice is equal to any other country, in EU council. In the parliament, seats are based on member states' populations.
- The UK have the most rebates of all countries, less money go back mainly because your agriculture is less developed than countries like France, Italy, Germany, Spain and others.

FlawlessThaw

It isn’t lost on me. The EU want a massive chunk of money which the UK doesn’t want to pay. The amount is based on absolutely nothing but a figure plucked out the sky.
That still doesn't prevent the UK from leaving with no deal.

So FIFA is democratic then?
Is one man, one vote democratic then? Or should rich people get more of say in your view?

Josep Dowling

- Turkey weren't trying to join and aren't even interested.
- The EU is a foreign policy program, logically every country is sovereign and his voice is equal to any other country, in EU council. In the parliament, seats are based on member states' populations.
- The UK have the most rebates of all countries, less money go back mainly because your agriculture is less developed than countries like France, Italy, Germany, Spain and others.
Absolute nonsense. At the time of the vote they were seeking full membership. There are plenty of articles about this.

JPRouve

Scout
That still doesn't prevent the UK from leaving with no deal.
It's also not true, I assume that he is talking about the "divorce" bill. It's based on the shares that the UK accepted to pay in the various projects and the EU budgets, minus the shares that the UK owns in the various EU projects and real estates. Said budgets are generally based on GDP.

FlawlessThaw

Absolute nonsense. At the time of the vote they were seeking full membership. There are plenty of articles about this.
Yeah there were a few scaremongering articles saying that Turkey were trying to join. It was an unfounded claim perpetuated by Farage and ilk

JPRouve

Scout
No seriously, they weren't. Some UK politicians went with that nonsense at the time which is kind of crazy.

Edit: Also, it's one of the thing that is subject to vetos, so anyone can prevent it forever.

FlawlessThaw

It's also not true, I assume that he is talking about the "divorce" bill. It's based on the shares that the UK accepted to pay in the various projects and the EU budgets, minus the shares that the UK owns in the various EU projects and real estates. Said budgets are generally based on GDP.
I think if the UK was extremely desperate to get out of the EU they could have just left. In any case paying the divorce bill or not, the EU isn't forcing the UK to stay.

Josep Dowling

Yeah there were a few scaremongering articles saying that Turkey were trying to join. It was an unfounded claim perpetuated by Farage and ilk
Haha. That’s right any articles you read were of course fact, any articles someone who voted leave were fake news. Heard it all before. ‘That was an opinion piece’ is a particular favourite.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's not nonsense. You are believing Boris' crap. Turkey does not even remotely qualify to join the EU, furthermore some EU countries (Greece) would never allow it. It was always a baseless claim.

FlawlessThaw

Haha. That’s right any articles you read were of course fact, any articles someone who voted leave were fake news. Heard it all before. ‘That was an opinion piece’ is a particular favourite.
Thanks for agreeing that Turkey being in the EU was a non-starter.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
No they weren't and each and every single member of the eu has the ability to veto new additions.

Also can you tell me how every country having an equal vote is dictatorial in any way shape or form?

Kristjan

Retired Dictator
Dude, Turkey has been an EU applicant since 1987 and a candidate for full membership since 1999!
They weren't any closer to full membership before the Brexit vote than they are now or any time in the last decades.

JPRouve

Scout
No they weren't and each and every single member of the eu has the ability to veto new additions.

Also can you tell me how every country having an equal vote is dictatorial in any way shape or form?
It's the Us vs Them type of mentality. There are two degrees here, first people will casually consider that the EU is a monolith and won't consider that it's made of dozens of countries with the same right to self determination and sovereignty, it's clever because lots of people don't care about the EU or foreign policy so it's easier to focus them on an easily identifiable opponent. The second part is to consider that even if we are talking about 27 sovereign countries they somehow all ganged up on the UK, France, Poland or wherever the narrator is from, which is just silly.

Josep Dowling

You guys are hilarious. I really don’t get why so many of you get so touchy over a subject that barely effects your day to day lives.

I came on here purely to offer some reasons why some people voted leave, that was all.

Some of you lot need a chill pill.

JPRouve

Scout
Dude, Turkey has been an EU applicant since 1987 and a candidate for full membership since 1999!
They weren't any closer to full membership before the Brexit vote than they are now or any time in the last decades.
And most importantly, currently they are not interested. Today we are virtually talking about a different country, that has no intention to respect the ECHR.

EyeInTheSky

See, you for some reason have it engraved in your mind that EU are making it difficult for UK simply because UK can't have its cake and eat it and been told of that beforehand how does that making it difficult is beyond me.
This is exactly the mentality that led us to this potential catastrophe. People thinking that by the EU not allowing the UK to get not only their previous benefits but better deals than they have whilst in EU and better than its member states.

They just don't get it.

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
You guys are hilarious. I really don’t get why so many of you get so touchy over a subject that barely effects your day to day lives.

I came on here purely to offer some reasons why some people voted leave, that was all.

We've had people post in here about potentially losing their jobs, businesses moving abroad, British people who live in the EU and EU citizens living in the UK who have virtually no idea what their status will be after March 2019.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch

:lol: I don't think you 'get' Brexit.

Paul the Wolf

Score Predictions Competition Organiser
France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips

We know the reasons people voted leave. The question is whether they were legitimate reasons and not just because people told them a pack of lies and they believed them.
The Turkey issue being a prime example. The scaremongering was from the Leave side. Turkey do not qualify and are at least decades away from being qualified to join. Even if they did qualify the UK were able to veto them joining. So it definitely was not an issue, just another one of the many lies.

If you think leaving the EU with no deal will barely affect your day to day life, you are in for a terrible shock. Everything you currently take for granted will be affected.

More scaremongering you say, believe what you will, just come back to me a few weeks after if the UK do leave with no deal.
What is the point of scaremongering, the vote is over.

Last edited:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

Not sure people in NI worried about a hard border and the possibility of increased tensions and violence as a result would agree with that. Nor will anyone who runs a business that's being affected by this and has been offered no clarity yet re regulations etc.

Paul the Wolf

Score Predictions Competition Organiser
France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
This is exactly the mentality that led us to this potential catastrophe. People thinking that by the EU not allowing the UK to get not only their previous benefits but better deals than they have whilst in EU and better than its member states.

They just don't get it.
It's the performance of their star negotiator, David Davis, that has convinced them.