Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Some do. Boris is probably the most prominent of them and never really cared either way. His plan was for Leave to lose and then win props with the membership and Eurosceptic MP's when Cameron stepped down a year or so afterwards. Others like the idea of it but have deluded themselves into thinking it'd somehow be workable with issues like NI etc, and have privately probably realised it doesn't work. Others who like the idea of it realised it wouldn't work and just backed it to advance their careers within the Tory party.
Some believe in it but think it will be painful to begin with before it gets better and don't fancy trying to campaign on 'just give it 5-10 years, I promise everything will be great then' whilst everything seems to be going terribly.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Down in amongst the streets tonight
Books will burn, people laugh and cry in their turmoil
(Turmoil turns rejoiceful).

Shed your fears and lose your guilt
Tonight we burn responsibility in the fire.
We'll watch the flames grow higher!
But if you get too burnt, you can't come back home.

And as I was standing by the edge
I could see the faces of those led pissing themselves laughing
(And the flames grew higher).
Their mad eyes bulged, their flushed faces said
'The weak get crushed as the strong grow stronger.'

We feast on flesh and drink on blood
Live by fear and despise love in a crisis
(What with today's high prices?)
Bring some paper and bring some wood
Bring what's left of all your love for the fire...

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Down in amongst the streets tonight
Books will burn, people laugh and cry in their turmoil
(Turmoil turns rejoiceful).

Shed your fears and lose your guilt
Tonight we burn responsibility in the fire.
We'll watch the flames grow higher!
But if you get too burnt, you can't come back home.

And as I was standing by the edge
I could see the faces of those led pissing themselves laughing
(And the flames grew higher).
Their mad eyes bulged, their flushed faces said
'The weak get crushed as the strong grow stronger.'

We feast on flesh and drink on blood
Live by fear and despise love in a crisis
(What with today's high prices?)
Bring some paper and bring some wood
Bring what's left of all your love for the fire...
The Jam, song about Nazis

GloryHunter07

No.

To my knowledge, we've triggered but there's nothing to say we can't admit we were being stupid and stay in. I'm pretty sure that's even been confirmed by Tusk?
Suggested by Trusk or Batnier i think, but we are in untested waters here.

SqueakyWeasel

Suggested by Trusk or Batnier i think, but we are in untested waters here.
Thats what I thought.

"Writing in the Guardian, British lawyer Jessica Simor QC, from Matrix chambers, claims she has been informed by “two good sources” that Theresa May has received legal advice informing her that “the Article 50 notification can be withdrawn by the UK at any time before 29 March 2019 resulting in the UK remaining in the EU on its current favourable terms.”

spiriticon

This shitshow just proves British politics are a huge waste of time. Everyone's preening and puffing and nobody does anything of any substance.

If the government wants to stay in, then just stay in and take the pie to the face from the EU. But if that happens, we can stop pretending that the vote of the British public matters any more. All these 'referendums' and general 'elections' would just be a massive waste of time and paper.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
This shitshow just proves British politics are a huge waste of time. Everyone's preening and puffing and nobody does anything of any substance.

If the government wants to stay in, then just stay in and take the pie to the face from the EU. But if that happens, we can stop pretending that the vote of the British public matters any more. All these 'referendums' and general 'elections' would just be a massive waste of time and paper.
Referendums and General Elections are very different things. We have a Westminster Democracy to avoid the sort of chaos this referendum has caused.

In most countries only changes to the constitution can go to referendums and they can't be simply used to placate one wing of a political party by a piss weak leader, as was the case with Brexit.

SqueakyWeasel

The referendum was an opinion poll and it has proven to have been mostly based on lies and misconceptions. Even leaving aside the manipulation from Russia and CA so much information has now come to light that I think it would only be fair to the good people of Britain (and to the integrity of the voting process) to offer a new opinion poll to see where the country now stands.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
The cheek of some people calling the Scottish independence movement 'rooted in anti-Englishness', when you have this mess of a government in charge of the UK! The Westminster system, the chamber, the 'debating', it's all barbaric in comparison to a proper modern parliamentary system. Part of me really does empathise with those who were duped into voting for brexit, the current representation for people in England is shocking.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The referendum was an opinion poll and it has proven to have been mostly based on lies and misconceptions. Even leaving aside the manipulation from Russia and CA so much information has now come to light that I think it would only be fair to the good people of Britain (and to the integrity of the voting process) to offer a new opinion poll to see where the country now stands.
No, MPs and public workers should start doing their jobs instead of putting it on people that will never be in a position to individually understand every aspects of several international treaties. These people are supposed to counsel the electorate and they are doing the exact opposite.

SqueakyWeasel

No, MPs and public workers should start doing their jobs instead of putting it on people that will never be in a position to individually understand every aspects of several international treaties. These people are supposed to counsel the electorate and they are doing the exact opposite.
Then roll it back to no BREXIT and start from there. We cannot start your version of political utopia from an unworkable position brought about by a weak government and a manipulated vote.

NinjaFletch

Then roll it back to no BREXIT and start from there. We cannot start your version of political utopia from an unworkable position brought about by a weak government and a manipulated vote.
God it's sad that our representative democracy is so broken that it functioning properly can be described as a 'political utopia'.

Smores

Let's just all agree to never have a referendum on the death penalty. The way this one is going we'd have the prime minister declaring its what the people voted for as people all over Britain get their heads chopped off for parking offences.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
How is that political utopia? It's the most basic aspect of a representative democracy, which you are supposed to be. The promise and use of a referendum on foreign policy logically worsened your national politic because no one can actually give a simple short answer.

C3Pique

Let's just all agree to never have a referendum on the death penalty. The way this one is going we'd have the prime minister declaring its what the people voted for as people all over Britain get their heads chopped off for parking offences.
:lol: so true. "We won, we won" they shout as their grandchildren are executed for overdue library fees.

Abizzz

All of Europe is occupied with brexit because of the British public. This self loathing of the British voter is completely despicable considering they vote in people who then go on to change regimes in other countries and are utterly useless in absolutely everything.

This shitshow is 100% on British voters and no one else. Enough of them chose to believe people like Farage and Boris.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Because most of them realise their vision of a hard Brexit is pure fantasy, and none of them particularly want the responsibility of it ultimately failing. Easier to let May fluff Brexit and try to take over afterwards.
Isn't that what the country voted for though???

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Isn't that what the country voted for though???
I mean...technically speaking, no. All the country ever officially voted for was to depart from the European Union. The terms and conditions under which we did this we left open to interpretation to whatever government was implementing Brexit.

I'd have a bit more sympathy for the hard Brexiteers if they'd actually had a solid plan for implementing what they want to happen, but it's pretty clear that what they want isn't feasible in reality and involves the EU making compromises they've clearly told us over and over again they have no desire nor need to make. And because of that...hard Brexit just doesn't work.

Silly as it may sound as an analogy, if the UK were to have a referendum on making everyone a millionaire tomorrow, then even if the country supported such a move it'd quite clearly be a delusional non-starter that wouldn't be implemented. Similarly, if hard Brexiteers want their version of Brexit to take place then they should actually present a plan which involves this not being complete and utter fantasy and which actually works.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The cheek of some people calling the Scottish independence movement 'rooted in anti-Englishness', when you have this mess of a government in charge of the UK! The Westminster system, the chamber, the 'debating', it's all barbaric in comparison to a proper modern parliamentary system. Part of me really does empathise with those who were duped into voting for brexit, the current representation for people in England is shocking.
A part of me absolutely loved the cognitive dissonance of Theresa May when she was explaining to the Scottish people the many benefits of being in a union when they were proposing to leave the UK while simultaneously trying to convince the people of the UK that being in a union is a bad thing and independence and sovereignty is a good thing.

It really encapsulated the preposterousness of the whole situation.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Isn't that a major iphone security flaw? Don't tell me the apps themselves manage the permissions?
Yeah I don’t believe that the app still posted a picture from their library despite them refusing permission, if it did that would be a major security flaw for iOS rather than just that app.

Accessing photos is a system call which requires the application to request permission from the kernel to access the file system. That’s why all applications that require files/camera/microphone access have that pop up for user input. If they grant it access is allowed, otherwise the application thread has no physical way of accessing the filesystem, it literally has no knowledge of its existence.

spiriticon

I think I've had enough of Brexit opinion polls and referendums thank you very much. No doubt after the second poll some people will want a third poll, or a fourth poll to see if anything's changed again.

Or maybe we'll end up having one referendum a year, just because the politicians like a good laugh.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I think I've had enough of Brexit opinion polls and referendums thank you very much. No doubt after the second poll some people will want a third poll, or a fourth poll to see if anything's changed again.

Or maybe we'll end up having one referendum a year, just because the politicians like a good laugh.
It's interesting though to see how opinions have changed or haven't changed. In retrospect it seems absurd to have the decision made by millions of people two years before it takes place, a lot can happen in two years, does it make sense to not have an opportunity to change that decision as (new) information is learned by the voting public.

In the case of a 2nd referendum and remain winning, I can see their being a campaign for a 3rd from leavers so we can have a best of 3.

spiriticon

It's interesting though to see how opinions have changed or haven't changed. In retrospect it seems absurd to have the decision made by millions of people two years before it takes place, a lot can happen in two years, does it make sense to not have an opportunity to change that decision as (new) information is learned by the voting public.

In the case of a 2nd referendum and remain winning, I can see their being a campaign for a 3rd from leavers so we can have a best of 3.
You'll be lucky if it stops at three. The hardcore Remainers and Brexiteers will go at it forever.

Thank you David Cameron.