g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Brexit really could be thought of revenge of the marginalised baby boomers

Silva

Most are post WWII babyboomers (to have lived through the war as an adult, you’d be pushing 100). Like old people everywhere, they are prey to the nostalgia that things used to be better and, in a specifically British context, they imbibed a sense of British greatness from the WWII victory achieved by their parents (mixed with an exaggerated sense of the bond with the USA) and never emotionally accepted the idea of Britain sitting down as an equal partner to our continental neighbours. I doubt they actively wish to do their children and grandchildren harm but the world has passed them by and their ignorance and delusions are causing a lot of problems.
It's actually a bit simpler than that, the poor people from their generation die younger and the rich old twats keep on voting

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I genuinely think the Tories know the public is bored of brexit. Really bored of brexit. as Danny says, no one knows or cares what a customs agreement is. No one cares.

The powers behind the powers in the Tory party are ready to move on. They want a simple brexit, that doesn't fook the UK economy and then they can ditch Theresa for Ruth or someone else
How would they get Ruth into Parliament?

Somebody resign a very safe seat?

There isn't really a safe Tory seat in Scotland.

Last edited:

SqueakyWeasel

I personally don't think it was ignorance. Nobody including the main Brexiteers in the government knew the complexities of an exit. We now have a government who are fudging the issue based on appeasing their colleagues and their personal ambitions and futures as MPs.

If we go without a deal what happens if the USA, China, India, etc decide to put up tariffs on certain items we export as is happening with Trump? As a European bloc we can retaliate as a small country we'd be in a pickle.
Without a deal the good people of Britain are royally fecked … ironic, eh?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Most 35 year olds didn't go to school with a Polish kid, or a Romanian kid, or a Hunagaria kid. But they might have made friends with an indian kid, who's their parents disapproved of.

Before that it was the Irish. Before that it was Jewish kids probably. Before that the Catholics.
True. But listen to how many older people apparently think that freedom of movement just means that a few posh kids can go get jobs abroad. They haven’t processed that the vast number of Brits overseas now are just normal working and middle class people exploring opportunities they could never have imagined back before the EU.

Obviously you can find counter examples for everything (on both sides), and I’m certainly heavily biased on the issue, but I just don’t buy into the idea that age automatically means wisdom. Especially as plenty of dumb people get old too. :D

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Interesting Juncker's tweet on the possibility of Britain remaining and Farage's simultaneous announcement of his return.

They smell what is inevitable - The People's Vote.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
How would they get Ruth into Parliament?

Somebody resign a very safe seat?

There isn't really a safe Tory seat in Scotland.
Why would it need to be in Scotland?

Maidenhead's pretty safe.

I think it'll be Rees-Mogg, though. It's the most ridiculous of the possibilities so it's gotta be the one that we end up with.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Without a deal the good people of Britain are royally fecked … ironic, eh?
Speaking to a few people in the know a number of Brexit supporting MPs have illusions of grandeur. Still, think Britain rules the waves. Its incredibly easy to realise the bigger trading block is better for business and the workforce.

Simbo

Sly conspiracy nut side of me still thinks May has been working to sabotage Brexit from the beginning for the sake of the country.

Sultan

True. But listen to how many older people apparently think that freedom of movement just means that a few posh kids can go get jobs abroad. They haven’t processed that the vast number of Brits overseas now are just normal working and middle class people exploring opportunities they could never have imagined back before the EU.

Obviously you can find counter examples for everything (on both sides), and I’m certainly heavily biased on the issue, but I just don’t buy into the idea that age automatically means wisdom. Especially as plenty of dumb people get old too. :D
Without the EU workers, we'd be in a royal mess. If you could just tweak immigration law to read only people with a definite job is allowed to stay or claim any benefit in the country I would think it would appease a lot of Brexit voters.

caid

Sly conspiracy nut side of me still thinks May has been working to sabotage Brexit from the beginning for the sake of the country.
I wonder would she be looked back on favourably if thats how it ends. She'd probably save the conservative party while she was at it, despite their best efforts.

SqueakyWeasel

Speaking to a few people in the know a number of Brexit supporting MPs have illusions of grandeur. Still, think Britain rules the waves. Its incredibly easy to realise the bigger trading block is better for business and the workforce.
There is not anyone that has delivered a solid reason why this would be economically (as opposed to emotionally) uplifting. And yet here we are?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Without the EU workers, we'd be in a royal mess. If you could just tweak immigration law to read only people with a definite job is allowed to stay or claim any benefit in the country I would think it would appease a lot of Brexit voters.
Erm.. we can actually already do that..

Sultan

I was at a University expansion meeting in my City. The question of Brexit came up and the CEO replied we're following every piece of news on Brexit before we decide to invest 50 Million pounds on expansion. Uncertainty is causing havoc.

Simbo

I wonder would she be looked back on favourably if thats how it ends. She'd probably save the conservative party while she was at it, despite their best efforts.
I have this weird idea that occasionally, leaders responsible for the lives of 70m+ people, will once in a while just do the right thing.

I know it sounds daft, which is why I refer to my conspiracy nut side.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I have this weird idea that occasionally, leaders responsible for the lives of 70m+ people, will once in a while just do the right thing.

I know it sounds daft, which is why I refer to my conspiracy nut side.
Yeah, that’s just mental. ;)

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I thought Brexit means Brexit? Don’t tell me that was just another meaningless sound bite?!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Jeremy Hunt replaces Boris :lol:

She's running out of allies to fill positions with!

He was a remainer too so this will go down like a cup of cold sick.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Jeremy Hunt replaces Boris :lol:

She's running out of allies to fill positions with!

He was a remainer too so this will go down like a cup of cold sick.
Rumours are Jeremy Wright (also remain) for health.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I personally don't think it was ignorance. Nobody including the main Brexiteers in the government knew the complexities of an exit. We now have a government who are fudging the issue based on appeasing their colleagues and their personal ambitions and futures as MPs.

If we go without a deal what happens if the USA, China, India, etc decide to put up tariffs on certain items we export as is happening with Trump? As a European bloc we can retaliate as a small country we'd be in a pickle.
All the downfalls of Brexit have been pointed out so many times, literally nothing is unexpected, the Brexiters just didn't want to listen and still are not listening.
If Brexit is supposed to mean leaving the CU and SM, it is actually impossible without breaking the GFA. It didn't mean that to most Brexiters at the time because that was not what the instigators were saying.

The government is only interested in saving their skins.

The UK will be in deep trouble on their own, because not only will the USA, China, India etc be competitors but also the EU will change from being a friend and colleague to becoming a competitor as well. Japan will be furious. All the big economies of the world against a relatively small nation on their own with no deals.

MoskvaRed

It's actually a bit simpler than that, the poor people from their generation die younger and the rich old twats keep on voting
At least anecdotally, I don’t see much difference of opinion between richer and poorer older voters on Brexit (granted the former live longer on average).