Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Farage:

"In March 2019, the current leader of Ukip, Gerard Batten, will reach the end of his term in office. Unless Brexit is back on track by then, I will have to seriously consider putting my name forward to return as Ukip leader."

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Am I to understand that May who originally campaigned Remain now has delivered a 'softer' Brexit, effectively getting Davis and Johnson out of the administration and is likely to survive a no-confidence motion? I'm not sure if this is genius or clown worthy.
It's great for her... Up until the leavers are so infuriated, they vote against her in commons... Effectively triggering a general election.

Which will almost certainly deliver a hung parliament, which isn't what the leavers want either so they'll try to avoid that if possible.

But if there is a hung parliament, the brexit will probably be negotiated with a cross party group of lib Dems, labour and maybe still the Tories. And a competent brexit much actually be brought forward

rcoobc

Farage:

"In March 2019, the current leader of Ukip, Gerard Batten, will reach the end of his term in office. Unless Brexit is back on track by then, I will have to seriously consider putting my name forward to return as Ukip leader."
Few, I was worried for a minute.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I don't know, I understand why @Adisa reads a soft brexit, it's not because of what is written or what she says but because she is seemingly negotiating with the EU. Now for me there is an angle that is interesting to explore, no deal doesn't require any negotiations, so if she isn't going for soft brexit then she is just acting in a way that will keep her in Downing Street for as long as possible. If she publicly states that no deal is the way, then her party doesn't need her and they are all going to fight for her place.

In the end, there is very little to say which way this government wants to go.
But since Day one she has been negotiating and asking for the impossible. It is just different cake.
No deal is catastrophic and she knows it.

Nothing about this whole farce is about the good of the country or even the will of the people, it is on ly about keeping the Tories in power.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
17.4 million voters should be held personally responsible. Ignorance is no excuse.
I personally don't think it was ignorance. Nobody including the main Brexiteers in the government knew the complexities of an exit. We now have a government who are fudging the issue based on appeasing their colleagues and their personal ambitions and futures as MPs.

If we go without a deal what happens if the USA, China, India, etc decide to put up tariffs on certain items we export as is happening with Trump? As a European bloc we can retaliate as a small country we'd be in a pickle.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I personally don't think it was ignorance. Nobody including the main Brexiteers in the government knew the complexities of an exit. We now have a government who are fudging the issue based on appeasing their colleagues and their personal ambitions and futures as MPs.

If we go without a deal what happens if the USA, China, India, etc decide to put up tariffs on certain items we export as is happening with Trump? As a European bloc we can retaliate as a small country we'd be in a pickle.
Based on WTO, without a deal everyone will put tarrifs on everything.

Sultan

Based on WTO, without a deal everyone will put tarrifs on everything.
I understand. I personally think the bigger economies outside of the UK would be delighted to weaken the EU bloc. Especially Russia, US and China. Russia due to different reasons than trade.

Sultan

But we'd have to put a hard border between NI and ROI to trade under the WTO right?
Yes!

Without a deal you'll be able to shake each others hand over the border, extend your neck out and kiss each other but can't trade legally. Unbelievable!

saivet

I've been caught up in the World Cup. On a serious note, what is May's proposal, an EEA Norway model?

Alias
Another referrendum wont happen - neither the Tory or Labour party want one. I think she will push through her plans, which will get rejected by the EU. Alternatively, she will get voted out and replaced by somebody like Rees-Mogg but I can't see it happening - nobody will want to risk the Government falling (which, arguably, they have done already) Corbyn coming in through the back door.

It sounds like a few people's choice would be to have another referrendum, but either not allow pensioners to vote or give them, like, half a vote? This is bizarre - pensioners aren't to "blame".

Sultan

Another referrendum wont happen - neither the Tory or Labour party want one. I think she will push through her plans, which will get rejected by the EU. Alternatively, she will get voted out and replaced by somebody like Rees-Mogg but I can't see it happening - nobody will want to risk the Government falling (which, arguably, they have done already) Corbyn coming in through the back door.

It sounds like a few people's choice would be to have another referrendum, but either not allow pensioners to vote or give them, like, half a vote? This is bizarre - pensioners aren't to "blame".
A backhanded second Brexit vote would be to have a snap election and whoever has the best Euro strategy would get elected.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I was in the UK when decimalisation was introduced, and the locals could not stop complaining about, and some still do now.

Sadly, I fear there is still a long way further to fall.
17.4 million voters should be held personally responsible. Ignorance is no excuse.

Tuning in for the next episode of "Rats leaving the sinking ship"
There is a morbid fascination in watchimg how this unfolds, but it is done with a heavy heart.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
But we'd have to put a hard border between NI and ROI to trade under the WTO right?
Hard border no, controlled border yes. If you don't have custom checks outside of a custom agreement then you have to grant that right to every WTO members, it's terrible for the UK and every single EU members.

Alias
I’ve heard worse ideas..
But surely these people - most of whom have lived through WW2 and knew life before the EU - have a lot more wisdom, and thus their vote should almost mean more? Also, the vast majority will have children and grandchildren that they will want to make the UK a better place for - most people will know that a parent would do absolutely anything for their children and grandchildren. Perhaps we owe our elders a bit more respect, no?

rcoobc

I genuinely think the Tories know the public is bored of brexit. Really bored of brexit. as Danny says, no one knows or cares what a customs agreement is. No one cares.

The powers behind the powers in the Tory party are ready to move on. They want a simple brexit, that doesn't fook the UK economy and then they can ditch Theresa for Ruth or someone else

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
A backhanded second Brexit vote would be to have a snap election and whoever has the best Euro strategy would get elected.
Part of the issue with that (besides the economic uncertainty) is timeings...
Let's assume there is a conservative leadership election (timescale 2 months)
Then the winner calls a snap general election (another 3 months)
Negotiations for whoever wins can start in say November / December... Which is too late to actually negotiate a deal... So regardless of who wins the only deal in that scenario is no deal

rcoobc

1. Simple quick clean brexit that doesn't feck the economy

2. Ditch Theresa.

3. Put Ruth or Javid in.

Tory 1.2.3 of surviving to 2020

Sultan

Part of the issue with that (besides the economic uncertainty) is timeings...
Let's assume there is a conservative leadership election (timescale 2 months)
Then the winner calls a snap general election (another 3 months)
Negotiations for whoever wins can start in say November / December... Which is too late to actually negotiate a deal... So regardless of who wins the only deal in that scenario is no deal
I'm sure/hopeful European leaders would extend timelines. Surely it is also in their interest.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
But surely these people - most of whom have lived through WW2 and knew life before the EU - have a lot more wisdom, and thus their vote should almost mean more? Also, the vast majority will have children and grandchildren that they will want to make the UK a better place for - most people will know that a parent would do absolutely anything for their children and grandchildren. Perhaps we owe our elders a bit more respect, no?
It didn’t seem to work out like that when huge numbers of them (including my own parents) chose to completely piss all over the wishes of the younger generations and take away a wide range of freedoms we were extremely proud to have.

Btw, lets give over with the WW2 stuff. The number of people who were old enough to actually serve in WW2 is pretty small these days, and plenty of them are pro-Remain.

Also the whole age/wisdom thing isn’t necessarily holding up very well in a world where technology (and culture) is changing at an exponential rate. What was true 20 years ago is often obsolete today, so the experiences of 70+ years ago have limited value. Obviously some stuff is still very useful, but considering people start to accept new information/change at a slower rate as they get older, they can often try and solve today’s problems with yesterday’s solutions.

Anyway, I’m not trying to slate old people, but asking them to decide how younger generations will live is not a particular great idea for those younger generations.

rcoobc

Most 35 year olds didn't go to school with a Polish kid, or a Romanian kid, or a Hunagaria kid. But they might have made friends with an indian kid, who's their parents disapproved of.

Before that it was the Irish. Before that it was Jewish kids probably. Before that the Catholics.

MoskvaRed

Most are post WWII babyboomers (to have lived through the war as an adult, you’d be pushing 100). Like old people everywhere, they are prey to the nostalgia that things used to be better and, in a specifically British context, they imbibed a sense of British greatness from the WWII victory achieved by their parents (mixed with an exaggerated sense of the bond with the USA) and never emotionally accepted the idea of Britain sitting down as an equal partner to our continental neighbours. I doubt they actively wish to do their children and grandchildren harm but the world has passed them by and their ignorance and delusions are causing a lot of problems.

MoskvaRed

Most are post WWII babyboomers (to have lived through the war as an adult, you’d be pushing 100). Like old people everywhere, they are prey to the nostalgia that things used to be better and, in a specifically British context, they imbibed a sense of British greatness from the WWII victory achieved by their parents (mixed with an exaggerated sense of the bond with the USA) and never emotionally accepted the idea of Britain sitting down as an equal partner to our continental neighbours. I doubt they actively wish to do their children and grandchildren harm but the world has passed them by and their ignorance and delusions are causing a lot of problems.