Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
The number of Polly Toynbess in this thread is a rather depressing read. If some of you had the least awareness of what you were saying, you would realise that such sneering and cynical usage of the electorate were two things which contributed to Brexit in the first place.

It was the same on the New Statesman podcast, where they went so far as to suggest that Sheffield wasn't actually a city, so as to support the big city vs small town narrative. Which also sort of ignores the fact that 40% of London voted Leave, hardly insignificant.

Last edited:
The Intercept: Brexit Is Only the Latest Proof of the Insularity and Failure of Western Establishment Institutions

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The number of Polly Toyness in this thread is a rather depressing read. If some of you had the least awareness of what you were saying, you would realise that such sneering and cynical usage of the electorate were two things which contributed to Brexit in the first place.

It was the same on the New Statesman podcast, where they went so far as to suggest that Sheffield wasn't actually a city, so as to support the big city vs small town narrative. Which also sort of ignores the fact that 40% of London voted Leave, hardly insignificant.
Missing a b, but you're right.

https://theintercept.com/2016/06/25...ailure-of-western-establishment-institutions/

NinjaFletch

The number of Polly Toyness in this thread is a rather depressing read. If some of you had the least awareness of what you were saying, you would realise that such sneering and cynical usage of the electorate were two things which contributed to Brexit in the first place.

I would argue that Vote Leave misleading voters, lying to the electorate, and generally being massive twats was a bigger factor than anything said on this forum.

Even though you won does it not unsettle you that people who carried you to the victory have done so in the mistaken belief that they've improved their situation, despite all evidence to the contrary?

Besides, your posts in the build up to the referendum showed an attitude that suggests you wouldn't have just sucked it up and got on with it had Leave been defeated, so I think you could cut people some slack.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
I would argue that Vote Leave misleading voters, lying to the electorate, and generally being massive twats was a bigger factor than anything said on this forum.

Even though you won does it not unsettle you that people who carried you to the victory have done so in the mistaken belief that they've improved their situation, despite all evidence to the contrary?

Besides, your posts in the build up to the referendum showed an attitude that suggests you wouldn't have just sucked it up and got on with it had Leave been defeated, so I think you could cut people some slack.
There was that YouGov exit poll don't forget. I would have immersed myself in one of my favourite historicals and likely drunk too much brandy, but i wouldn't have been expecting a do-over. You can go back to some of my posts if you like, i intimated that i would turn my efforts toward opposing TTIP.

All of the charges you have made against Leave, could just as easily apply to Remain. But that's beside the point, some of the foundations for this result were laid years past. Our democracy would only storng up even greater problems if the response was to ignore the result of a referendum.

I think those people stand a far greater chance of improvement than had the status quo been allowed to continue year-after-year. The established order was both ripe for, and deserving of a shock like this.

Last edited:

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
There was that YouGov exit poll don't forget. I would have immersed myself in one of my favourite historicals and likely drunk too much brandy, but i wouldn't have been expecting a do-over. You can go back to some of my posts if you like, i intimated that i would turn my efforts toward opposing TTIP.

All of the charges you have made against Leave, could just as easily apply to Remain. But that's beside the point, some of the foundations for this result were laid years past. Our democracy would only strong up even greater problems if the response was to ignore the result of a referendum.

I think those people stand a far greater chance of improvement than had the status quo been allowed to continue year-after-year. The established order was both ripe for, and deserving of a shock like this.
With their EU funding wiped, even greater austerity imposed due to recession and the biggest right wing toffs you could possibly imagine taking charge at Number 10?

Parry Gallister

The number of Polly Toynbess in this thread is a rather depressing read. If some of you had the least awareness of what you were saying, you would realise that such sneering and cynical usage of the electorate were two things which contributed to Brexit in the first place.

Nah, feck that, they're a pack of fecking idiots and I'm steaming mad at them. cnuts. The EU was funding areas in the north and Wales more than a Tory government ever fecking has, especially one that looks like it's moving further rightwards. Perfect example of that here -https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jun/25/view-wales-town-showered-eu-cash-votes-leave-ebbw-vale

Now that's happening, you think the Torys will pick up the slack? Will they feck.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your fecking face. Then there's stuff like the EU nursing scheme which supplies the hospital I work at with about 30-40% of our qualified nurses (mainly Spanish and Italian) - we still have a diabolical clusterfeck shortage with them there let-alone what'll happen without, the repercussions for the Good Friday Agreement, Scotland's future, impact on Mortgages, freedom of work and travel...

Basically, if you voted leave, you're an ape. A stupid selfish ape. Or best case scenario, racist or afraid of Islam. Either way, ship the entire pack of cnuts to the costa del sol or magaluf and be done with them.

Parry Gallister

Posted in the other thread but relevant here too:

I'm going to speak what's on my heart and mind right now - it is probably overly dramatic and I'm sure plenty will raise eyebrows but I can't help how I feel.

Firstly, I'm British. I was born here. But my ethnic origin is Indian. Maybe I'm in a very small minority, but for the first time in my life I genuinely feel hesitant, for use of a better word, that I'm not welcome here. I know that's a massive overreaction and probably not true, but believe me I've thought on it and tried to shake it, but for the first time I have a voice in the back of my head that is telling me, making me doubt for the first time, whether i belong here. I look at people when I board the train and wonder what they're thinking. I walk the streets and I wonder if anyone's thought in their mind, "I wish he wasn't here".

Secondly, I'm openly a labour voter normally. I very much believe that if I'm wealthy, and I earn well, then a fair share of my wealth should be taken to help the poorer less well off. That's not to say I enjoy paying taxes, who does? But I'm comfortable and morally happy in feeling I should do my bit. That's changed. Some voters voted leave because they have read the facts and made up their mind. No problem. Some voted leave because of personal experience which has affected them and their view. No problem. But some voted as a feck you to establishment. Some voted because they look at the glamour and wealth of London (where I work) with disgust and jealousy. Some voted because they just wanted to kick those who work hard and pay their fair share in the teeth. This has changed my view. Londons wealth is what drives everyone else's economies. I'm the first to know and admit that the wealth London generates isn't distributed fairly, let's say, over the country. And I know that many decisions are with London in mind at the neglect of the rest of the country. Yet, these voters seem to forget that if they hit London, they only will get hit about 50x as hard. Yet just to put their ego on top, they wanted it. They did it. And now, I think, feck this shit tax that I pay to help some of these people, however small a portion gets to them. If they want to give us the finger, perhaps it's time I did too.

Finally, putting aside the economics of it all, it deeply upsets me that the people whom I live near, share the same town, county, and country with, have become so insular. So inward looking. So nationalist. I believe in embracing cultures, embracing people, embracing the world. Working together trying to make it a better place in all that. It feels like we have turned our back on these principles that I believe in so deeply.

Bottom line, there is a huge divide. And frankly when I think of those people from Sunderland who are poor and don't get much support or jobs, I think feck you too. Go and rot.

I hate I feel that way. But sadly, I do. I think that if Boris does come in, and god knows I would hate it, I think of these people who voted in this way with a smirk knowing that they will get absolutely screwed over by this.

I genuinely think the divide between London especially and some other parts of the U.K. is simply too big to fix. The gulf in fundamental beliefs is so significant that it's almost like it's not the same country. In fact I would go as far as saying it's more different than some whole countries are from one another.

It's significant. And something has to happen. It might not be now, but one day it'll be enough is enough and we will have a real issue.

One day on, I thought I'd have calmed a bit. But I haven't. I still feel insecure in my "wantedness" here. I still think so badly of those wankers who voted leave for the wrong reasons. And I can't stand the idea of someone voting leave.

We could be in a world where Trump and BoJo are leaders of two great countries. What a shame that'd be, and how scary, too.
Great post. If it's any consolation - the age of the people voting tells you something, it was something like 75% of people from 18-41 voted to stay, and the majority of the age group above that too.

NinjaFletch

All of the charges you have made against Leave, could just as easily apply to Remain. But that's beside the point, some of the foundations for this result were laid years past. Our democracy would only strong up even greater problems if the response was to ignore the result of a referendum.

You might not have outright demanded a do-over. But there was plenty of Leave voters who would have, including figures as influential as Farage repeatedly stressing he would not recognise this margin of victory if it was reversed and blaming the government extending the voting registration deadline, and pretty much everything else he could think of, when he thought he was going to lose. Farage being Farage maybe, but its blatantly clear that he influences a scary percentage of the electorate. Either way, my point was not that you wouldn't respect the result, but that you wouldn't do so without complaining about it.

And you could level that against Remain, but you know its disingenuous, Remain had its excesses - although at this point with the rise of the right wing globally, nationalism and xenophobia that this debate has shined a light on I'm no longer as convinced as anyone should be, less than 100 years after WW2 and the holocaust, that bloodshed in Europe is so far removed as a possibility that Cameron deserved the ridicule for suggesting otherwise - but at least there was a kernel of truth running through Remain's argument. I'm still not sure I actually heard Leave say anything factual, the best they managed was half truths.

The established order might have been ripe for a shock, but it was voted for by people who were lied to, by that exact same established order no less, that doing so would improve their lives. Brexit was anything but a victory for democracy, it was a victory for deceit, hate, fears and lies and a betrayal of the electorate, the most vulnerable parts of the electorate no less, by some of the people trusted to lead the country.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Not sure if it's been posted yet but came across this really interesting comment on the Guardian which is starting to go viral. It claims we won't trigger article 50... really makes you think.
From the guardians comments section:
Extremely interesting article.

Since an outright ignoring of the referendum is political suicide, I see only one way out here...the new PM calls for a General Election. Parties to make it clear on whether they want in or out and then let it be a binding electoral decision. There is a big chance Tories or Labour will still win and UK can remain in EU.

Either way, Boris is done...unless he quits and joins UKIP.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Since an outright ignoring of the referendum is political suicide, I see only one way out here...the new PM calls for a General Election. Parties to make it clear on whether they want in or out and then let it be a binding electoral decision. There is a big chance Tories or Labour will still win and UK can remain in EU.

That would result in a UKIP plurality, and (justifiably) zero confidence in the democratic institutions of the country.

caid

You might not have outright demanded a do-over. But there was plenty of Leave voters who would have, including figures as influential as Farage repeatedly stressing he would not recognise this margin of victory if it was reversed and blaming the government extending the voting registration deadline, and pretty much everything else he could think of, when he thought he was going to lose. Farage being Farage maybe, but its blatantly clear that he influences a scary percentage of the electorate. Either way, my point was not that you wouldn't respect the result, but that you wouldn't do so without complaining about it.

And you could level that against Remain, but you know its disingenuous, Remain had its excesses - although at this point with the rise of the right wing globally, nationalism and xenophobia that this debate has shined a light on I'm no longer as convinced as anyone should be, less than 100 years after WW2 and the holocaust, that bloodshed in Europe is so far removed as a possibility that Cameron deserved the ridicule for suggesting otherwise - but at least there was a kernel of truth running through Remain's argument. I'm still not sure I actually heard Leave say anything factual, the best they managed was half truths.

The established order might have been ripe for a shock, but it was voted for by people who were lied to, by that exact same established order no less, that doing so would improve their lives. Brexit was anything but a victory for democracy, it was a victory for deceit, hate, fears and lies and a betrayal of the electorate, the most vulnerable parts of the electorate no less, by some of the people trusted to lead the country.
I think it was a bad decision whatever the reasons but i wouldn't dismiss the leave voters as the morons its being suggested they are.
Maybe they realised that farage etc were talking nonsense and made a decision to vote leave for other reasons.
There are genuine reasons to be frustrated with the eu and to have lost faith in it. Many in fact.

A lot of these uneducated people your bemoaning are dirt poor, maybe the commonality isn't that a lot are a bit stupid,
its that they've been left to rot by the political system and they're just ... revolting?

Also find the 'old people screwed the young' thing absurd because I'm willing to bet the voter turnout amongst the young was poor, it usually is.
Young people probably screwed themselves with (understandable) cynicism.

I'm always surprised by the medias need to set the population in general against each other in these crises.
When Ireland had the recession 7/8 years ago it was the nasty civil servants making a living and having pensions.
Picking up tab of a few billion to bail out the european banking system had nothing to do with it.
Giving the bankers who got us into the mess a pension of hundreds of thousands a year was fine too.

English media is creating a division between young and old, london and the rest of the country. Scotland and England that im not really convinced exists.

If you got the younger generations to vote more it probably would have pushed their vote back towards leave.
London is built on a more international ... foundation? I guess it makes sense, the impact to their day to day lives will probably be more tangible
Wasn't an overwhelming victory for stay either though really

I dont know, maybe i have to much faith in people and think they're better than they're getting credit for.

I'll be bitching about dumbass irish voters at some point in the future actually, so thats not true.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
A referendum which was won on a base of faulty claims, misrepresentations and outright lies. I can lie and cheat, but as long as I win, it's a democracy! Viva la democracy!
Agreed. Democracy is not a game to be won and lost. I could slap a coat of paint on a bus and say 950quadrillion quid for the NHS if you leave the EU. Doesn't mean its true. It means I have taken advantage of the democratic system. In that scenario I'd be as guilty as the voter - me for lying and the voter for ignorance.

All this talk of undermining democracy is moot because democracy was already undermined by the liars and the ill informed. The damage is done just stop this insanity before it goes to far.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It was all planned you silly people who lack faith. The bicycle highway for example was carefully planned by Boris for a time when most British people would not afford anything but a bicycle.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male

The comment is interesting. As much as I dislike David Cameron, if he successfully outmanouevers the Brexiters here then I will have gained immense respect for him - he has (I think) been genuine in his support of the Remain campaign, just like he was with Better Together during Scottish indyref. Cant fault the man for that (even if otherwise I think he is a total knob).

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
The post Brexit remain thread is as much about negativity as the pre vote remain campaign. The inability to articulate anything positive about remaining in the EU still remains.

Siorac

The post Brexit remain thread is as much about negativity as the pre vote remain campaign. The inability to articulate anything positive about remaining in the EU still remains.
I very much think that in this case the burden of proof has to be on the other side: they wish to change the status quo so they would have had to come up with reasons as to why it's better to leave.

In the end it came down to lies (350m to the NHS) and stoking anti-immigrant and straight-up racist sentiments. Nothing that was true and factual was offered about why it's better to leave.

By the way, remain articulated just how much Britain will lose and what enormous difficulties will it face without the EU. That's the positive: had you voted remain, you wouldn't have faced those difficulties. You'd have undisputed access to the single market (44% of UK export goes there), London would still be the undisputed financial capital of Europe and your financial services sector wouldn't be under huge threat. These are important positives.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Generally, one would think that the impetus would be on those seeking to change the status quo to present a convincing alternative. That has not been done.

You want to know what it will be like to stay in the EU? Fortunately rather than inventing anything fancy, we have the last forty odd years as an example. It is not perfect by a long shot, but it is better than nothing, and nothing is precisely what the current alternative presented by the leave campaign seems to be.

As with the Scottish indyref, people (often idiots) are too happy to be persuaded by some utopian pipe dream scenario. With Scotland it was Salmond's oil-funded haven, with Brexit it is the phantom £350m that never was. In both cases, the opposition debunked the figures time and time again, but people chose to ignore the experts, ignore the facts and vote on a wing and a prayer.

As @Siorac said, within the EU, we have seen London become the European financial capital, we have seen the markets rising in a very healthy fashion and a strong economy.

From the leave campaign, within only a couple of days, all we have seen is U-turns on key arguments, exaggerated figures and some sort of unsubstantiated pipe dream.

Forgive me if I am being overly negative, its just I dont particularly like seeing my country get ripped apart by idiots. Nor do I like the fact that there are enough idiots in my country to actually make important decisions like these.

Last edited:
Nigel Farage says Britain’s heading into recession

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

'Project fear'

Lyricist

That's got to be a joke. I'm not even British so I wasn't invested into this until a couple of days ago but I've read what feels like 1000 reasons to remain and approximately 0 good ones to leave.

remain (not economically damaging, the body that was installed to keep the peaceful relations up in Europe for decades will stay intact, Europe won't think the UK has turned mad, young generations will get to choose to move to other EU countries and see more of the world):
- Scotland, N Ireland, Wales profit a lot from being in the EU (England too obviously)
- the working class profits from being in the EU as international companies have chosen the UK as the place to have their EU headquarters/factories (if the UK leaves the EU those companies will probably move to another place inside the EU for trading/tax/monetary reasons etc)
- London has become the EU's financial capital...London's banks and stock market are built to be the EU capital -> take that away and those sectors will most likely move to other countries as well
- skilled labor has come in from other EU countries to do good work in the UK which in return helps the UK's economy
- leaving does NOT stop immigration
- the EU does NOT tell the UK that they have to take in people from Arab/Persian/Eastern countries (which shouldn't be a problem but for the marginally xenophobic fearful public it apparently is... even then the EU isn't imposing any numbers, Poland for example hasn't taken in ANY muslim refugees because they simply said they won't)
- value of the pound is high due to economy being good
- UK's say in European issues is strong, UK can heavily influence the European politics themselves
- the UK already have their special treatment in regards to EU membership in comparison to the other members...they already have a "good deal"
- UK stays one of the most respected and most powerful European countries/economies that is viewed in a pretty positive light by the rest of Europe
- statement against all the hateful parties rising up in the European countries atm
- staying in EU's free trade zone​

leave (nationalist feelings win (is that considered good again?), UK sticks metaphorical middle finger up Europe's arse, economically damaging, pound drops to new low, body of peace in Europe might face break up, bunch of far right parties around Europe get further propaganda, UK reputation has sunk drastically, UK might lose Scotland N Ireland and Gibraltar, young people's decision for their futures screwed over by old people's votes):
- pound drops to a horribly low level
- ftse index drops to a horribly low level
- pensions drop to a horribly low level
- if you were saving for a house or something you just got absolutely fecked
- world market takes a huge hit
- travelling abroad has become about 10% more expensive within hours
- youth wanted something for their future but the elderly generation screwed them over
- people divided over "stupidity" of their nation for voting without actually being interested in hearing the consequences first (sick of experts mentality)
- leave campaigners say their promises won't actually happen the way they promised them
- immigration likely to not stop
- 350 million thing was a lie
- hate, fear, us-vs-them mentality wins over tolerance and a united Europe
- far right movements get bigger and bigger in the UK and across Europe
- European body of peace is put into immense trouble and might get more problems in the future
- economy is basically fecked for the next at least 2 years
- international companies would want to move their EU headquarters and factories back on actual EU territory as soon as article 50 is activated
-> working class (who voted leave) fecked if companies move
- banks might move from London to Frankfurt
- UK's export will suddenly be a lot less profitable due to having moved out of EU's free trade zone for no real reason but EU countries making up around 46% of UK's export partners
- EU can't possible give the UK the best deal now as that'll only mean more countries will want to leave
- After showing the EU and its countries the metaphorical middle finger the UK has already started to give the EU more worries by saying it won't activate article 50 until in 4 months...that'll mean uncertain markets not only for the UK but also for the EU...kind of a dick move?
- Boris Johnson to become the new PM??
- Cameron resigned within hours
- Scotland wants to leave the UK
- N Ireland unsure what they want to do as they also voted remain
- Wales doesn't want to leave the UK but they're economically fecked
- Spain already made a move towards getting Gibraltar from the UK
- nationalist feelings made people vote leave but instead of strengthening the United Kingdom under right wing aspects, UK is quickly becoming the Disunited Kingdom
- rest of Europe now looking at UK like "wtf, they didn't seriously do that? Why would they do that? Idiots... *Facepalm*"
- Frankfurt, Dublin, Paris to be the new financial capitals of Europe?
- UK has their "independence" now :)
- if UK wants to enter EU market they still have to abide to most of EU law but now they don't have ANY say in future EU policies
- Trump congratulates you (he would've voted leave...that alone should've told people to vote remain)​

This is just a quick list and I'm sure I forgot LOTS of points.
But to me, as a European, I see no reason why the UK should've left the EU.

Fortis Mente

Now Britain has left the EU, Cornish Pasties could be under threat, as they have been given a protected geographical indication status.

We can't let them take our Cornish Pasties people. We must unite and fight to save them.

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
That's got to be a joke. I'm not even British so I wasn't invested into this until a couple of days ago but I've read what feels like 1000 reasons to remain and approximately 0 good ones to leave.

remain (not economically damaging, the body that was installed to keep the peaceful relations up in Europe for decades will stay intact, Europe won't think the UK has turned mad, young generations will get to choose to move to other EU countries and see more of the world):
- Scotland, N Ireland, Wales profit a lot from being in the EU (England too obviously)
- the working class profits from being in the EU as international companies have chosen the UK as the place to have their EU headquarters/factories (if the UK leaves the EU those companies will probably move to another place inside the EU for trading/tax/monetary reasons etc)
- London has become the EU's financial capital...London's banks and stock market are built to be the EU capital -> take that away and those sectors will most likely move to other countries as well
- skilled labor has come in from other EU countries to do good work in the UK which in return helps the UK's economy
- the EU does NOT tell the UK that they have to take in people from Arab/Persian/Eastern countries (which shouldn't be a problem but for the marginally xenophobic fearful public it apparently is... even then the EU isn't imposing any numbers, Poland for example hasn't taken in ANY muslim refugees because they simply said they won't)
- UK's say in European issues is strong, UK can heavily influence the European politics themselves
- the UK already have their special treatment in regards to EU membership in comparison to the other members...they already have a "good deal"
- UK stays one of the most respected and most powerful European countries/economies that is viewed in a pretty positive light by the rest of Europe
- statement against all the hateful parties rising up in the European countries atm

leave (nationalist feelings win (is that considered good again?), UK sticks metaphorical middle finger up Europe's arse, economically damaging, pound drops to new low, body of peace in Europe might face break up, bunch of far right parties around Europe get further propaganda, UK reputation has sunk drastically, UK might lose Scotland N Ireland and Gibraltar, young people's decision for their futures screwed over by old people's votes):
- youth wanted something for their future but the elderly generation screwed them over
- people divided over "stupidity" of their nation for voting without actually being interested in hearing the consequences first (sick of experts mentality)
- leave campaigners say their promises won't actually happen the way they promised them
- European body of peace is put into immense trouble and might get more problems in the future
- international companies would want to move their EU headquarters and factories back on actual EU territory as soon as article 50 is activated
- UK's export will suddenly be a lot less profitable due to having moved out of EU's free trade zone for no real reason but EU countries making up around 46% of UK's export partners
- EU can't possible give the UK the best deal now as that'll only mean more countries will want to leave
- After showing the EU and its countries the metaphorical middle finger the UK has already started to give the EU more worries by saying it won't activate article 50 for 4 months...that'll mean uncertain markets not only for the UK but also for the EU...kind of a dick move?
- nationalist feelings made people vote leave but instead of strengthening the United Kingdom under right wing aspects, UK is quickly becoming the Disunited Kingdom
- rest of Europe now looking at UK like "wtf, they didn't seriously do that? Why would they do that? Idiots... *Facepalm*"
- if UK wants to enter EU market they still have to abide to most of EU law but now they don't have ANY say in future EU policies
- Trump congratulates you (he would've voted leave...that alone should've told people to vote remain)​

full quote just because its great!

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

- After showing the EU and its countries the metaphorical middle finger the UK has already started to give the EU more worries by saying it won't activate article 50 until in 4 months...that'll mean uncertain markets not only for the UK but also for the EU...kind of a dick move?

Great post.

Classical Mechanic

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/26/the-eu-will-treat-britain-like-greece/

Best article I read so far. There's also a piece tackling the article 50 threat suggested by @Gambit and @Classical Mechanic
Christ we're fecked.
Devilish, the Caf bogeyman.
Correct me if I am wrong but the figures quoted for worst case scenario mean that unemployment would be at a level well under the EU average (and France @JPRouve ) whilst falling to being the 6th largest economy in the world by current figures?

Not that I am making light of the pain of a spike in unemployment but we would still be better off than most of the countries in the EU. Not forgetting that Britain leaving is a huge body blow for an EU that is already rocking, so I am not sure where the gloating attitude comes from @JPRouve .