Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Realistic and smart is staying in the single market.

Ubik

It's political suicide post-referendum. If Labour the Tory backbenchers rebel and make it happen anyway, great, they take the heat themselves. But it won't work for either leader.
Heh, pre-Corbyn someone (like me) probably could've written that exact statement about austerity. Triangulation always finds a way.

Silva

Heh, pre-Corbyn someone (like me) probably could've written that exact statement about austerity. Triangulation always finds a way.
Possibly, austerity had public support circa 2013-2015, but I don't think it ever had near the same love Brexit does from the general public. Brexit's more of an existential question than a dial people want at one level one year and another the next.

Oscie

I don't buy the whole 'political suicide' thing. I can get how, with the majority of their voters supporting Brexit/hard Brexit, it's politically very difficult for May to support anything else. I don't understand the logic that says that the leader of the party whose members support soft Brexit/ no Brexit has to support hard Brexit or else risk political disaster. Arguments that suggest as much seem to act as a smoke screen for a leader who wanted Brexit to begin with and is now trying to find ways of making excuses for his complete lack of opposition to it despite leading a party whose MPs/members/voters/natural political sympathisers being against it.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I don't buy the whole 'political suicide' thing. I can get how, with the majority of their voters supporting Brexit/hard Brexit, it's politically very difficult for May to support anything else. I don't understand the logic that says that the leader of the party whose members support soft Brexit/ no Brexit has to support hard Brexit or else risk political disaster. Arguments that suggest as much seem to act as a smoke screen for a leader who wanted Brexit to begin with and is now trying to find ways of making excuses for his complete lack of opposition to it despite leading a party whose MPs/members/voters/natural political sympathisers being against it.
Over 30% of Labour voters supported Brexit and recent polls suggest a decent number want something done about immigration. Don't necessarily agree with them but again people need to stop pretending this isn't a thing.

Oscie

McDonnell on Marr:

"We will negotiate a customs union, which will solve the Irish border issue"

Incredible such things aren't even challenged any more.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
McDonnell on Marr:

"We will negotiate a customs union, which will solve the Irish border issue"

Incredible such things aren't even challenged any more.
Yeah, they want a custom agreement and not a custom union since Brexit is the fruit of the unwillingness to be in an Union and the willingness to take all decisions unilaterally. And there is already a Custom Union that solves the Irish border issue.

Oscie

Yeah, they want a custom agreement and not a custom union since Brexit is the fruit of the unwillingness to be in an Union and the willingness to take all decisions unilaterally. And there is already a Custom Union that solves the Irish border issue.

It's identical to the bilge the Tories come out with. The Tories think they can negotiate a deal that retains all the benefits of the customs union without membership and magic away the Irish border issue - and the Labour party think they can negotiate a deal that retains all the benefits of the customs union without membership and magic way the Irish border.

Spending time negotiating to get what we already have to appease supporters of a political party that virtually no longer exists takes some time to get your head around.

It's hilarious the number of posters here who seem to want to pretend there currently exists huge, partisan chasm between the two parties. The solution is obvious - aggressively challenge the Farage-led assertion that the vote was a vote to leave the customs union and single market. Even now I don't think it's too late to make that argument but nobody seems willing to want to. Nobody of note anyway.

JPRouve

Scout
It's identical to the bilge the Tories come out with. The Tories think they can negotiate a deal that retains all the benefits of the customs union without membership and magic away the Irish border issue - and the Labour party think they can negotiate a deal that retains all the benefits of the customs union without membership and magic way the Irish border.

Spending time negotiating to get what we already have to appease supporters of a political party that virtually no longer exists takes some time to get your head around.

It's hilarious the number of posters here who seem to want to pretend there currently exists huge, partisan chasm between the two parties. The solution is obvious - aggressively challenge the Farage-led assertion that the vote was a vote to leave the customs union and single market. Even now I don't think it's too late to make that argument but nobody seems willing to want to. Nobody of note anyway.
I think that I disagree. You are basically admitting that the two main parties are on the same page, logically it should mean that a large part of the population is on the same page too and they are for a hardish Brexit. And it kind of make sense when you believe that Brexit was more philosophical than practical, people like idea of telling the rest of the EU to do one while they ride off into the sunset. The only problem is that people want Brexit without the consequences, which could explain why people are so keen to just dismiss them.

Oscie

I think that I disagree. You are basically admitting that the two main parties are on the same page, logically it should mean that a large part of the population is on the same page too and they are for a hardish Brexit. And it kind of make sense when you believe that Brexit was more philosophical than practical, people like idea of telling the rest of the EU to do one while they ride off into the sunset. The only problem is that people want Brexit without the consequences, which could explain why people are so keen to just dismiss them.
If the two main parties aren't on the same page then what are the substantive differences.

"We must leave the SM and CU and we are best place to negotiate a deal that'll retain the benefits of each and we will also solve the Irish border issue"

That is the position of both parties, isn't it? I dont think the country is on the same page. Those who are have representation, those who aren't (and there are many of us) have none. That's my frustration.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

I think the placement of your comma in McDonnells quote is wrong and has changed the semantics.

I don’t think he’s saying “We will negotiate a customs Union and that will magically provide a solution to the complicated issue of the Irish border”.

He’s saying “Our plan to solve the complicated issue of the Irish border is to negotiate a bespoke customs union built around the complexities of the Irish border”.

That’s absolutely the right thing to do, it’s an option May and Davis had but they fecked it off because it’s impossible to negotiate that and achieve the head up the arse, nose lacerated firmly off the face Brexit they want to achieve.

So on that front McDonnell is absolutely right. The Irish border is as big an issue as any (possibly the biggest) in Brexit negotiations and as such it should be a key factor and one the UK simply has to make concessions over.

JPRouve

Scout
If the two main parties aren't on the same page then what are the substantive differences.

"We must leave the SM and CU and we are best place to negotiate a deal that'll retain the benefits of each and we will also solve the Irish border issue"

That is the position of both parties, isn't it? I dont think the country is on the same page. Those who are have representation, those who aren't (and there are many of us) have none. That's my frustration.
I haven't been clear, my disagreement is with your conclusion that Brexit should be aggressively challenged. And the reason for my disagreement is that you admitted yourself that both parties are for Brexit, both parties together represents a big majority. Basically your take seem to put more weight on the minority that is against Brexit over the majority that is for it or doesn't care about it which makes little sense.

In the end @Stanley Road is right, people voted for Cameron knowing that a referendum would happen, then they didn't defend their pro EU position, then they didn't ask for clarification on what Brexit actually meant and its extent. From the beginning the idea has been to tell the undemocratic EU to do one, and you can see that by looking at the Tory and the Labour. The only problem here is that while people have been mainly behind the idea of Brexit some have a hard time accepting its consequences, which lead us to an other issue raised by posters like Devilish, people want Brexit but they want to cherry pick, the mentions of EFTA are an example of that because it doesn't fit with Brexit.

In all this there is zero consideration for the other side of the equations, the EU and Ireland have been an afterthought and that's the mistake made by a large part of the electorate and the main parties.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Is it true Labour peers have been told to abstain from a motion that would require continued EEA membership?

Ubik

Drainy

The voters who are pro-brexit are maniacally for that position. We're seeing lifelong Labour voters voting torie for it, more will go over if Labour tried to overturn the referendum.

Throw in the fact that a leave voter gunned down an MP in the streets over it and I can see why there is such political cowardice over it.

jackofalltrades

A vital question is whether the Tories can deliver what they think is best for the country and, more importantly, hold on to power.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I haven't been clear, my disagreement is with your conclusion that Brexit should be aggressively challenged. And the reason for my disagreement is that you admitted yourself that both parties are for Brexit, both parties together represents a big majority. Basically your take seem to put more weight on the minority that is against Brexit over the majority that is for it or doesn't care about it which makes little sense.
Half the country is remain and that includes 70% of Labour voters. Labour not representing them is despicable and a clear sign that Corbyn is representing his own desires not the desires of the majority of his party on Brexit. It’s cost him my vote in the next election.

Adisa

Cabinet in open warfare. I've never seen anything like it since I moved to this country.
Ministers publicly calling PM's position names.

Rajma

Cabinet in open warfare. I've never seen anything like it since I moved to this country.
Ministers publicly calling PM's position names.
I don't get why doesn't she just resign and gives those clowns the rope to hang themselves. Does she enjoy being at the heart of abuse from all sides with no long-term political prospectus personally?

Adisa

What is even more ridiculous is that the cabinet are basically fighting over two positions, both of which have been rejected by the EU.

There is and always has been only one solution, the custom's union.
Furthermore, parliament has the authority on any final decision.
The whole thing is a farce.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Furthermore, parliament has the authority on any final decision.
The whole thing is a farce.
Yes, but really there is only one decision, either let project fear become project reality or stay in the custom's union.

Problem is that time is fast running out and the decision may be made for them by the EU, because one thing is a certainty, the EU are going to be prepared for either outcome.

Oscie

83 Labour peers and 17 Tories defy their party whip to vote for EEA amendment

Some 83 Labour peers - 44% of the total - defied the whip and voted for the Alli amendment.

There were also 17 Tory rebels.

Ubik

Some 83 Labour peers - 44% of the total - defied the whip and voted for the Alli amendment.

Excellent. Will have to wait and see how many Tory rebels will be willing to go along with it in the Commons.

Adisa

Good on them.

Oscie

The government looks to be weeks/months away from agreeing a position to negotiate from, leaving them scant time for the actual negotiations. It's a testimony to either how little they're paying attention or how little they care that they actually opposed an amendment that would give them more wriggle room when the inevitable actually happens.

Increasingly convinced the Brexit strategy is 'Let's see how long we're allowed to get away with this'. What I don't understand is: what's their end game? If they even have an end game, they seem to be surviving hand to mouth at the moment. Don't think anyone's thought about 10 months time.

Oscie

As for the govt using the Parliament Act to force their agenda through..

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
What is even more ridiculous is that the cabinet are basically fighting over two positions, both of which have been rejected by the EU.

There is and always has been only one solution, the custom's union.
I agree with your first sentence. It's quite staggering how the British have totally failed to listen to anyone in the EU since day one. I can only assume that as so many of our politicians, both Labour and Conservative, have taken up positions contrary to what they actually believe in, that they think Europeans don't mean what they say either.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I agree with your first sentence. It's quite staggering how the British have totally failed to listen to anyone in the EU since day one. I can only assume that as so many of our politicians, both Labour and Conservative, have taken up positions contrary to what they actually believe in, that they think Europeans don't mean what they say either.
It's almost as if they hope the whole thing will just go away.
The EU are not kidding about, they mean what they say and the British government have to wake up quickly.

Both the Tories and Labour have put themselves in an impossible position and none of them can see a way out other than making the logical decision but they are too scared to do so.