Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
4 pages of Brexit in 1 day? what happened? EU invading UK? no, people feeding the troll @vidic blood & sand . Wasn't it obvious what he was looking for in his post on page 1688?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Oof. EU unilaterally triggers Article 16 of the Northern Ireland protocol to try and prevent vaccines being exported across the Irish border into NI.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55864442

That's a pretty major provocation from the EU, and I'm very surprised they wanted to set that precedent so early on.
It became a brexit topic when people started using this topic as a way to score brexit points. Unfortunately they don't see how toolish they sound, which also applies to people who gloats about british covid deaths.
I also do see the link with Brexit - in the sense that the same self-centred attitude that screws over LMIC countries is (in part) behind Brexit: 'Why work together if we can go it alone to make sure we can do things exactly as we like best for ourselves?'

Not, of course, that the EU is a bastion of global solidarity; but a large justification for its existence is for member solidarity, which is the same idea on a European scale. (As much as that's continuously under pressure, like when northern countries are unhappy with national debt levels in Italy or Greece. But you have that everywhere, also over here within Canada.)

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
What do you expect from the pathetic EU?
They are desperate to appear as though they have the upper hand.
It's all falling apart, and nations are heading for the exit door.
Italy, Holland, Poland. All pissed off.
What have you been reading? Appetite to leave the EU is at an all-time low right now. Even Poland and Hungary, whose current dictators are constantly fighting and defying the EU, want to stay in because of the economic advantages.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Is there a good more valuable than vaccines are currently? I can't judge who is right to what degree in this case, but if EU politicians feel righteous indignation about this, then this isn't really a surprising step.
It's pretty surprising. We're less than a month into Brexit and they've decided to unilaterally trigger the last-ditch override clause... expect it to be used frequently from now on by both sides and thereby potentially undermine the whole protocol.

MoskvaRed

BBC:

Is it me or is the EU way over playing its hand here? Blowing up the NI protocol over the vaccines... wtf?
It’s why it is very hard to envisage the UK ever re-joining. There will be constant areas of tension in some of which the EU will make the wrong decision (like in this instance). The Telegraph, Mail, Express and Sun will take it from there.

MikeUpNorth

Ireland not happy with the EU commission.

The Taoiseach has been in contact with EU Commission President Ursula von Der Leyen to raise concerns about the decision to override part of the Northern Ireland Brexit protocol in order to block vaccines entering the North.

There are concerns in Government that this risks undermining the agreement.

A spokesperson for Micheál Martin told RTÉ News that the Taoiseach was aware of the issue and is "in discussions with Ursula Von der Leyen to raise concerns about this."

DUP Leader and First Minister of Northern Ireland Arlene Foster earlier described the triggering of Article 16 as "an incredible act of hostility".

She said the EU is prepared to use Northern Ireland "when it suits their interests".

"At the first opportunity the EU has placed a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland over the supply chain of the coronavirus vaccine," she said.

The leader of the SDLP said invoking article 16 is "disproportionate and a grave error in judgment by the European Commission.

"We face a common threat. Our response should be characterised by our common values - cooperation and solidarity. We're engaging with both governments and the EU to find a way forward," Colum Eastwood said.
https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2021/0129/1193953-north-vaccine-brexit/

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
When a leaver steps in with some balance to a one sided brexit bashing social club thread, he's considered a troll :lol:
You guys certainly entertain.
When your initial post was essentially “why are you still crying” you can’t blame someone for thinking that.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
that's a poor move from the EU. They really shouldn't feck with the border like that, given the stance over the last 5 odd years has been protecting it at all costs.

vidic blood & sand

What have you been reading? Appetite to leave the EU is at an all-time low right now. Even Poland and Hungary, whose current dictators are constantly fighting and defying the EU, want to stay in because of the economic advantages.
Obviously the big problem for other nations leaving is the Euro. Getting untangled from that mess will make brexit look like a walk in the park. But the populist mood is certainly bubbling.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Obviously the big problem for other nations leaving is the Euro. Getting untangled from that mess will make brexit look like a walk in the park. But the populist mood is certainly bubbling.
Nobody else will leave. For countries on the mainland it would be even more of a stupid move than the UK going, and here in Ireland approval for the EU is at an all time high.

Plus no other government would be thick enough to put it to a referendum.

You're reading too much right-wing shite by the sound of things.

MoskvaRed

When a leaver steps in with some balance to a one sided brexit bashing social club thread, he's considered a troll :lol:
You guys certainly entertain.
We are still waiting to hear of the upsides to counterbalance loss of freedom of movement, devaluation of the pound, investment freezes, opportunity costs, job cuts, loss of diplomatic clout..And please don’t respond with potential benefits in the long term. Even without wheeling out Keynes (“in the long term we are all dead”), Johnson is incapable of thinking beyond where his next meal or shag is coming from.

vidic blood & sand

When your initial post was essentially “why are you still crying” you can’t blame someone for thinking that.
At least we've got a little debate here now. This thread will continue to be a place where remainers cry on each others shoulders, and I'm happy for it to stay like that because Red Cafe is biased towards the left. It's just one of those things.
Enjoy the debate while it lasts. Calmer seas are ahead, don't worry.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What are you talking about, do you have literally any evidence that this populism is bubbling?

Maybe in 5-15 years when Brexit is gone from the minds of most people and we're all still dealing with the after-effects of the Covid economy, populists of difference faces may pop up and incite against the EU in different ways depending on the country.

But now....seems like nothing from wishful thinking from you.

MikeUpNorth

Actually can't believe the EU commission triggered that clause without even talking to Ireland first. That's completely mental.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
In France even Marine Le Pen has ruled out leaving the EU and the Euro plus she's now asking people of all origins and religions to vote for her in next year's Presidential election, you can't make it up.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That just reasserts your point, but doesn't answer my question. From what I have been reading the past two years, popular support for Nexit, Frexit, and what have you have plummeted since Brexit, since it showed people the enormous negative consequences of leaving the EU. (And I don't mean the messy exit negotiations, I mean the negative long-term impact on the economy and many other aspects of society.) I can't speak for the current mood in every single EU country, but I am absolutely sure it's still like that in the Netherlands as I follow its news quite closely, hailing from there originally. As for Poland, any current views on the EU will be influenced mostly by its government's shenanigans, not anything related to the pandemic. So again, I'm wondering (as are lots over others on here, it seems) where you are getting your information from.

vidic blood & sand

Actually can't believe the EU commission triggered that clause without even talking to Ireland first. That's completely mental.
No it's not. The EU are always right. There is wisdom in this move, and the other posters here will tell you what it is when they've figured it out.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
In France even Marine Le Pen has ruled out leaving the EU and the Euro plus she's now asking people of all origins and religions to vote for her in next year's Presidential election, you can't make it up.
You can, they used to be an ultra capitalist political party, now I wouldn't be surprised to see them roam the streets with the Little Red Book. The fact that there is even one person following them is amazing.

Last edited:

worldgonemad

Seems like a complete over reaction from the EU, without any dialogue first. Surely the beef is a contractual one with AZ which can be sorted out one way or another. It did seem pissy earlier today when the EU put out heavily redacted documents into the public domain.
I'm hoping the UK do not reciprocate in kind without some kind of diplomacy taking place 1st.
It's like the Cuban missile crisis.

Well, not quite, but you get idea.

Virgil

that's a poor move from the EU. They really shouldn't feck with the border like that, given the stance over the last 5 odd years has been protecting it at all costs.
Agreed. Whatever the EU fears over the vaccine it is an unwise decision they have come to. For over 4 years they have rightly been insisting that there should be no hard border in Ireland. If anyone was going to break it you would have bet your life’s savings that it would have been the U.K. With one stroke of the pen they have passed the morale high ground to Boris and provided him with tit-for-tat ammunition in the future. Adds weight to my long held suspicion that all politicians are as useful as nine-bob notes.

MikeUpNorth

Labour's Shadow Northern Ireland Secretary, Louise Haigh MP, said the move by the EU Commission was "deeply destabilising and undermines the huge efforts being made to make the Protocol work".
Wow, the EU commission have managed to unite the Tories and Labour, the Irish government and the DUP. Spectacular work.

JPRouve

Scout
Wow, the EU commission have managed to unite the Tories and Labour, the Irish government and the DUP. Spectacular work.
To be fair they are supposed to unite people from different horizons.:angel:

I wonder when they convinced themselves that it was not only an idea but a good one on top of it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
To be fair they are supposed to unite people from different horizons.:angel:

I wonder when they convinced themselves that it was not only an idea but a good one on top of it.
This is being confusingly discussed in three different threads at once. In another thread I just made the point that it might be a good idea if it goes down well with the voters. That’s what this is all about. Pacifying the angry mob. We’ll have to wait to see some polls over the next few weeks to find out whether it really was as terrible an idea as it seems to all of us.

Virgil

If there was ever a way of hardening anti EU sentiment.......difficult to imagine a more effective way. Who was advising the EU. Would’nt have been Farage by any chance would it?

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
This is being confusingly discussed in three different threads at once. In another thread I just made the point that it might be a good idea if it goes down well with the voters. That’s what this is all about. Pacifying the angry mob. We’ll have to wait to see some polls over the next few weeks to find out whether it really was as terrible an idea as it seems to all of us.
I saw that and you have a point but it's still a stupid idea, particulaly if it actually comes from the commission and not the member states. Though, thinking about it I wonder if Von Der Leyen isn't under pressure behind the scene which would explain her behavior in the last few days.

MikeUpNorth

So after all that talk of avoiding hard borders at all costs and not risking they peace process... the unilaterally override the protocol for short term political optics. Despicable if that’s the reason.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
So after all that talk of avoiding hard borders at all costs and not risking they peace process... the unilaterally override the protocol for short term political optics. Despicable if that’s the reason.
Yeah, pretty much. Politicians primary motivation for everything is winning votes. This week’s shocking revelation.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I saw that and you have a point but it's still a stupid idea, particulaly if it actually comes from the commission and not the member states. Though, thinking about it I wonder if Von Der Leyen isn't under pressure behind the scene which would explain her behavior in the last few days.
I’m sure she’s under pressure. All the heads of state are being crucified by the opposition in every session of parliament, all over the EU. So who else do they pick up the phone to when they want to vent at the end of the day?