Brighton and Hove Albion 22-23: A season to remember

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
You say that but Lewis Hall, an 18 year old from the academy, is currently keeping Cucurella, the big money summer signing, out of the team.
Is Chilwell ever going to be fit? He's straight back in whenever he is and I think he'll do well in Potter's system.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You say that but Lewis Hall, an 18 year old from the academy, is currently keeping Cucurella, the big money summer signing, out of the team.
Its getting quite ridiculous. We most probably have had the most academy players come through since Christensen's promotion pretty much (especially at major clubs) and still people talk like that when the topic of Chelsea and academy players crop up :lol:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Such a shame. Just as he was starting to become a mainstay at Brighton.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Just seen an article comparing our line up from the half way game of last season to this season. In the 19th game of last season (we beat Everton 3-2, sorry @SilentWitness) our team was

Sanchez

Veltman - Webster - Burn - Cucu

Mac Allister - Biss - Lallana - Mwepu

Trossard - Maupay​

since then we’ve sold 5 of that team and sadly lost Mwepu, but this season at the same point we’re four points better off with more goals scored.

I’m genuinely thinking we could make Europe now for the first time ever. Heady days!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Said it elsewhere but I don't think it's impossible they could make a serious run for 4th. For a neutral like me that would be fun to watch in the closing weeks.

Newcastle been relentless but now those narrow wins are starting to turn into more 0-0s so they're levelling off a bit now and have quite a hard schedule to finish off at St James Park (still to play all of Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, Man. United up there) so I think they'll be in 60-65 points bracket which certainly isn't comfortable 4th based on most prem seasons.

If Brighton win next two I can see you being ahead of Spurs and you also have two games on them. Ferguson is a really exciting mid season discovery so can rotate him/Welbeck depending on opposition aswell.

Good luck!

Perseus

Brighton have told midfielder Moises Caicedo to take time off until after Tuesday's transfer deadline.

The move comes amid uncertainty over the 21-year-old's future after he told them he wanted to be allowed to leave after bids from Arsenal and Chelsea.
The Seagulls remain insistent that they do not want to sell Caicedo this month and that the player is not for sale.

The decision means the Ecuador international will miss Sunday's FA Cup fourth round tie against Liverpool.

Brighton feel it is in no-one's interests for Caicedo to be around the club at present, but still expect him to be with them for the remainder of the season.
[BBC]

https://www.teamtalk.com/arsenal/ex...righton-intentions-exit-request-huge-response

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
They’ve done the impossible. Phenomenal achievement by Brighton to win a game they weren’t allowed to win.

Nickosaur

Get the feck in!
Liverpool were absolute shit houses AND got bailed out by VAR several times.

Telsim

How do they do it? How do they always find such good players? If we weren't stacked on that LW, I'd be going all in for Mitoma. Or just buyout their structure entirely. :lol:

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Unbelievable that the MacAllister incident with Konate wasn't a red.

Happy for Brighton to get the win, ridiculous team given their resources

Dr. StrangeHate

Please tell me Chelsea didn't steal Brighton's scouting department. Boehly money with Brighton scouting is not something that can be topped.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I'd love to see them win the cup. Was odd how they went out on pens to Charlton but guess issue was playing that straight off world cup break.

Would fancy them to take out Spurs home or away and would also fancy them to beat Man. United if they get a home draw. Even Man. City would be interesting match down at the Amex if they get Man. City between CL ties.

Real strength in depth compared to previous seasons.

AndySmith1990

We moan about not having a bottomless pit of money to spend while a club like Brighton build a fantastic team for a pittance. For a fraction of the money it cost to buy a shite player like Donny we could hire most of Brightons backroom staff and be far better off

mctrials23

Please tell me Chelsea didn't steal Brighton's scouting department. Boehly money with Brighton scouting is not something that can be topped.
Aren't these two things generally complete opposites. The reason smaller teams can do what Brighton have done is because they look for rough gems. Players to take a punt on and they can give them the time and support to thrive under little pressure. If someone says "heres £500m go nuts" and you come back with a £5m signing from Japan you wouldn't be in a job long. Even if they signed him he would have been down their pecking order.

There is an ecosystem in football and its rare for the big teams to pick out hidden gems from nowhere and develop them. They want proven stars or at least big names.

Brighton are clearly doing an amazing job but its not the same job as scouting for Chelsea.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Think I'm becoming a closet Brighton fan.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
It’s insane that they are playing so well and getting results in 2023 with Danny Welbeck leading the line.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

That's remarkably little for two players who pretty immediately seemed to be very good.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Chelsea have. It’s how they identified Mudryk for 100m
I actually think their head of football was poached by Newcastle, Dan Ashworth. In reality though I think we as a club just need to take more gambles, Caicedo was on our radar and we decided not to pursue, same with Enzo Fernandez, both of whom have ended up as potentially £80m players.

Mitoma for £2.5m looks like incredible business though, just a brilliant little player.

TheReligion

Abusive
I actually think their head of football was poached by Newcastle, Dan Ashworth. In reality though I think we as a club just need to take more gambles, Caicedo was on our radar and we decided not to pursue, same with Enzo Fernandez, both of whom have ended up as potentially £80m players.

Mitoma for £2.5m looks like incredible business though, just a brilliant little player.
Totally agree with you.

I think Eriksen, Malacia and Weghorst (early days) have been shrewd signings so far.

Hopefully with the new scouting set up we will start to identify some better value players and see the deals through.

It’s more annoying we did identify Enzo and Moises but couldn’t/didn’t get them done.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea have. It’s how they identified Mudryk for 100m
The recruitment team is just a little part of the scouting network. In any case, this new recruitment team from Brighton were the reason Chelsea pivoted from Gvardiol to Badiashile ;)

TheReligion

Abusive
The recruitment team is just a little part of the scouting network. In any case, this new recruitment team from Brighton were the reason Chelsea pivoted from Gvardiol to Badiashile ;)
Nothing to do with him staying put and talking about going to other clubs during the World Cup then? :lol:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Nothing to do with him staying put and talking about going to other clubs during the World Cup then? :lol:
I mean that is what was reported. You may well be right but the Vivell from Leipzig and the Brighton people joining coincided with Chelsea moving off Gvardiol. Pretty sure we could have signed him if we tried as aggressively as we pursued Mudryk.

TheReligion

Abusive
I mean that is what was reported. You may well be right but the Vivell from Leipzig and the Brighton people joining coincided with Chelsea moving off Gvardiol. Pretty sure we could have signed him if we tried as aggressively as we pursued Mudryk.
I’m not sure. His quotes in the WC about going to Madrid (I think?) suggested he’d realised he could do better than Chelsea. Got the impression he knew his stock had climbed and Chelsea recognised they were unlikely to get him.

The speed you want to get your business done is quite telling and I think the speculation about FFP and more restricted spending in the near future is pretty accurate. You’re simply not willing to wait for number one targets so move on quickly and push for a quick conclusion.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I’m not sure. His quotes in the WC about going to Madrid (I think?) suggested he’d realised he could do better than Chelsea. Got the impression he knew his stock had climbed and Chelsea recognised they were unlikely to get him.

The speed you want to get your business done is quite telling and I think the speculation about FFP and more restricted spending in the near future is pretty accurate. You’re simply not willing to wait for number one targets so move on quickly and push for a quick conclusion.
He was asked about Real Madrid and Chelsea during the WC and he gave almost identical quotes. If that is what you’re basing this on, then I think you’re mistaken.

I imagine you’re right about restricted future spending though, but I doubt who we target is impacted by that.

Anyway enough derailing of the thread. Brighton are having incredible season. Great win today.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
So pleased with yesterday's win. Liverpool tried to kick us off the park for the last fifteen minutes, it was like they were playing 10 Andy Carrolls, so when Mitoma scored it felt like a huge feck you to them.

Looks like Caicedo won't be going until the summer which is great news, I just hope he can carry on for the second half of the season as he has for the first. I do worry about the summer though, I can see big bids coming on for Caicedo, Sanchez, Mitoma and Mac Allister, but goven that all three cost us 14 million and we would get north of 175M if they all get sold, it's good business. But I would like to see us hold onto our players for a little longer!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
So pleased with yesterday's win. Liverpool tried to kick us off the park for the last fifteen minutes, it was like they were playing 10 Andy Carrolls, so when Mitoma scored it felt like a huge feck you to them.

Looks like Caicedo won't be going until the summer which is great news, I just hope he can carry on for the second half of the season as he has for the first. I do worry about the summer though, I can see big bids coming on for Caicedo, Sanchez, Mitoma and Mac Allister, but goven that all three cost us 14 million and we would get north of 175M if they all get sold, it's good business. But I would like to see us hold onto our players for a little longer!
I reckon you'll have to resign yourself to losing at least 2 of those. I think Mitoma will probably stay on another year though.