Brighton and Hove Albion 22-23: A season to remember

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Right - I thought Hughton was sacked midseason and they replaced him immediately.
Hughton was sacked at the end of the season once, our premiership status was assured. Potter was appointed a week later , Swansea’s was over.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Genuinely feel very sorry for Billy Gilmour, he must be gutted.

Perseus

New coach/manager will be 50 yo or younger. Older candidates will be automatically ruled out.

Perseus

More bad for Brighton than good for Chelsea. I thought Chelsea under Tuchel were the second best side at the Amex last season.

Perseus

Former Sassuolo and Shakhtar Donetsk coach Roberto De Zerbi is reportedly on the verge of joining the Premier League as manager of Brighton.

The 43-year-old tactician has been chosen as the ideal replacement for Graham Potter, who was poached by giants Chelsea following the shock dismissal of Thomas Tuchel.

De Zerbi was at the helm of Foggia, Palermo and Benevento before really finding success at Sassuolo from 2018-21.

https://theathletic.com/3602776/2022/09/18/roberto-de-zerbi-brighton/

phelans shorts

Former Sassuolo and Shakhtar Donetsk coach Roberto De Zerbi is reportedly on the verge of joining the Premier League as manager of Brighton.

The 43-year-old tactician has been chosen as the ideal replacement for Graham Potter, who was poached by giants Chelsea following the shock dismissal of Thomas Tuchel.

De Zerbi was at the helm of Foggia, Palermo and Benevento before really finding success at Sassuolo from 2018-21.

https://theathletic.com/3602776/2022/09/18/roberto-de-zerbi-brighton/
Very very good get I feel this. He was excellent at Sassuolo and seems to have done well in his short spell at Shaktar.

Nickosaur

On paper seems a strong match for Brighton.

Not going to say I knew much about him prior to his appointment though!

Idxomer

Another possession-based manager, Sassuolo were playing good stuff the few times I caught them when he was there.

Perseus

The smooth transition to this appointment looks really dangerous.

reelworld

Brighton looks like a really well run club. If this appointment works out, how long would it take until the football minds there got poached by a big club wanting to revamp their footballing operation?

Perseus

Brighton looks like a really well run club. If this appointment works out, how long would it take until the football minds there got poached by a big club wanting to revamp their footballing operation?
I think BHA have got eyes on the top 6 in England, top 20 in the world ??? Unfortunately, not in my lifetime.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
If they avoid injury they'll be this season's Leicester/West Ham. Finishing top 6 is a serious possibility as feels like the season their xG is matching up to what they're producing on the pitch.

14 goals in 7 games suggests as much anyway.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Top half finish will be a good result for them. I think the squad is still a bit thin and will cause issues when the games start picking up.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Top half finish will be a good result for them. I think the squad is still a bit thin and will cause issues when the games start picking up.
They can finish much higher than 10th. They've got depth in defence and midfield. No idea who plays CF if Welbeck isn't around though with no Maupay in their squad, perhaps De Zebri will just false 9 it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
They can finish much higher than 10th. They've got depth in defence and midfield. No idea who plays CF if Welbeck isn't around though with no Maupay in their squad, perhaps De Zebri will just false 9 it.
i think a couple of injuries will hit them hard. Welbeck will inevitably get injured at some point. They could be helped by all other potential challengers for that top 10 being shite this season though. All depends on how much the new manager changes from what Potter left.

Perseus

Liverpool 3-3 Albion and I could not find a video stream. No hiding place. Watched the whole game later, terrific entertainment.

Last edited:

devil99

Welbeck would have been perfect for us right now. His hold up play this season has been excellent so far

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
i think a couple of injuries will hit them hard. Welbeck will inevitably get injured at some point. They could be helped by all other potential challengers for that top 10 being shite this season though. All depends on how much the new manager changes from what Potter left.
Perhaps it's just a small sample of games but I'd fancy them to finish above all of Wolves, Leicester, West Ham. Those teams have been in 6-10th range last three years.

Beyond that I'm not sure who else. We're in no state to even finish 10th until we sack Gerrard, you guys are doing o.k under Lampard but can't see enough goals in Everton to finish higher than mid table. Only real threat I can see is Newcastle who've been up and down so far but are capable of going on decent runs when everyone is fit.

It's there for Brighton to have their best ever season.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Trossard's first two goals were sublime. It was like watching prime Barca with that quick passing wtf did Graham Potter do to what seemed like a rather average/below bunch of players? :lol:

marktan

Trossard's first two goals were sublime. It was like watching prime Barca with that quick passing wtf did Graham Potter do to what seemed like a rather average/below bunch of players? :lol:
Tbf they do recruit excellently. Trossard for years I've thought could play in any of the big teams, he's excellent with both feet

BarryWinks

The way they run off the ball, their body movement/shape is a work of art.

Time and time again today and against us they seemed to have an extra man in the box because their forwards drop excellently well between the line while their wide players take up the vacant positions.

I know this place goes ham on highly rated managers who haven't won anything, but what he did with that group of players for me is testament of how good of a manager Potter can potentially be, and I almost hate that he went to that mob.

Perseus

I think pundits and rival fans are still underestimating and misjudging the Albion and putting some features down to Potter and Ashworth that preceded their appointments. Welbeck was signed when the Nunez deal was aborted at the last minute.

Last edited:

Perseus

Injuries were the reason why it took so long to get to the Premier League in the first place. The recent sales seem to be avoiding keeping fringe first teamers from being dissatisfied. But it leaves BHA short of experienced reserves.

Idxomer

That's sad but also for the best, he'll always have that goal against Liverpool.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I hope he is given a good chance for a career in football in a coaching or similar capacity.

Absolute shame.

OmarUnited4ever

This is really a devastating news for Enock, but we can at least appreciate it is caught early and it can be managed from here on.

Perseus

Big changes for Brighton. Enock Mwepu seemed to be the reason Bissouma was sold.

Telsim

They've had a good run but it is coming to an end, now that Potter has left them. Such a shame about Mwepu, too. And whatever good players they have left will get snapped up next summer. They will be battling relegation as soon as next season, in my opinion.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
They need a couple of direct players because De Zerbi’s extreme ball retention is nice to the eye yet toothless atm… one in the midfield plus one upfront. Interesting to see if the rumor they can get Berardi from Sassuolo in January has legs.