Film Bruce Willis diagnosed with aphasia, stepping away from acting | Feb 2023: Diagnosed with dementia

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
https://pagesix.com/2022/03/30/bruce-willis-diagnosed-with-aphasia-stepping-away-from-acting/

Aphasia is a medical condition that can affect a person’s ability to speak, write and understand language, both verbal and written, according to the Mayo Clinic. It typically occurs after a stroke or a head injury.
“To Bruce’s amazing supporters, as a family we wanted to share that our beloved Bruce has been experiencing some health issues and has recently been diagnosed with aphasia, which is impacting his cognitive abilities,” his family wrote in a joint statement shared to each of their Instagram accounts, adding that he will be “stepping away from the career that has meant so much to him.”
“This is a really challenging time for our family and we are so appreciative of your continued love, compassion and support,” the “Die Hard” star’s family continued. “We are moving through this as a strong family unit, and wanted to bring his fans in because we know how much he means to you, as you do to him.
“As Bruce always says, ‘Live it up’ and together we plan to do just that,” the statement concluded, and signed it from his wife Emma, his ex-wife Demi Moore and all of his children.
There had been rumours for a while that he had dementia. Aphasia makes a lot of sense. Tragic news, all the best to him and his family.

Mercurial

Isn't he way young for dementia? Awful news! Best action hero ever.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
:(

Looking back he might be the best mainstream actor of the late 80's to 90's. Amazing range of films.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
redlettermedia was on this like a month ago. Fair fecks to the guy for churning them out. Action legend.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Awful news. Degenerative brain conditions are just so cruel. They strip the person of their faculties and leave loved ones with the guilt of mourning someone who is yet to die.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Is this the same thing that happened to Huey Lewis?

Ahh no he has Meniere's so he can't hold notes when singing.

Sad for Bruce, I think everyone loves the guy.

Green_Red

Shows the impact he's had on popular culture when you solidfy quotes like "Yippe Kay Yay, motherfecker!" Shit ending to life for anyone.

Deery

Dreary
Everybody is either dying or getting a terrible disease, I guess this is what growing older is like..

Yagami

Good post resistant
I just watched a redlettermedia review of a couple of his films a couple of days ago and they were talking about him having dementia there.

just saw your post @altodevil

Chairman Steve

Mike and Jay of RedLetterMedia have been talking about this in their last two Half In The Bag episodes. They wondered why he did these movies and noted some other weird stuff too like obvious body doubles in a lot of shots and wearing clear earpieces in shots and then speculated that he was getting as much money as possible before calling it a day, and it looks like they speculated correctly. I think they (and a lot of other people including me) initially thought it was a cynical cash grab by him before retiring, as Willis did have a reputation for being hard to work with as well, and you could speculate that that was all he could get for high money and low effort.

Sad for him as he had a great and varied career, from being a TV star to a blockbuster action star and then starred in critically acclaimed movies to show off his acting abilities.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Aphasia is literally not being able to speak at all. Poor fella. I’d say the end of his acting career is the least of his worries.
There are different types of it, so it can simply be difficult for him to find (the right/any) words at the moment. Although technically mild one should be called dysphasia, but I don’t believe that it’s a term that’s used a lot.

Mike Smalling

Isn't he way young for dementia? Awful news! Best action hero ever.
Was surprised to see he’s 67, but he’s been around forever, I guess. Still young for dementia, but older than I thought.

A real shame! Legend of the industry and the action genre.

atkar83

Mike and Jay of RedLetterMedia have been talking about this in their last two Half In The Bag episodes. They wondered why he did these movies and noted some other weird stuff too like obvious body doubles in a lot of shots and wearing clear earpieces in shots and then speculated that he was getting as much money as possible before calling it a day, and it looks like they speculated correctly. I think they (and a lot of other people including me) initially thought it was a cynical cash grab by him before retiring, as Willis did have a reputation for being hard to work with as well, and you could speculate that that was all he could get for high money and low effort.

Sad for him as he had a great and varied career, from being a TV star to a blockbuster action star and then starred in critically acclaimed movies to show off his acting abilities.
Yeah, although I guess they weren't aware of the cognitive issues in the first video, which isn't their fault, it wasn't a well known rumor I suppose. But good job on their behalf making the second video with this in mind, it made the awkward dialogue scenes with the earpiece make more sense (no one can be thhhaaatt lazy that they don't care to even read a script for simple dialogue) and the reasoning for making so many of these low budget movies.

I just wonder if someone like Liam Neeson is doing it for the money too or a similar reason.

choccy77

Literally all his movies and TV show trending on twitter right now.

SirAnderson

Is this the same thing that happened to Huey Lewis?

Ahh no he has Meniere's so he can't hold notes when singing.

Sad for Bruce, I think everyone loves the guy.
I often catch myself "think typing" (if I can call it that) and then I'm always tempted to type exactly as I'm thinking and post, but I just can't get myself to do it. :lol:
Once I realize its not what I thought, I then just say whatever is the reality, and not what I initially thought. :)

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Was surprised to see he’s 67, but he’s been around forever, I guess. Still young for dementia, but older than I thought.

A real shame! Legend of the industry and the action genre.
He was 33 when Die Hard came out in '88. I too thought he was older than 67.

acnumber9

They wondered why he did these movies and noted some other weird stuff too like obvious body doubles in a lot of shots and wearing clear earpieces in shots and then speculated that he was getting as much money as possible before calling it a day, and it looks like they speculated correctly.
I wondered that myself when I heard about this earlier. Is this a condition that comes on slowly?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Watching the half in the bag fake movie factory one right now. With hindsight, it's sad to see what he resorted to and that he's doing it to keep his family in the lifestyle they are accustomed to after he goes.

Although it is also very sad to think about the people paid next to nothing to try to make these things work too.