Film Bruce Willis diagnosed with aphasia, stepping away from acting | Feb 2023: Diagnosed with dementia

Deery

Dreary
Last Boy Scout, will always be top tier for me and will watch it anytime it’s on..

From John Hopkins:
Stroke and traumatic head injuries account for over 98.5% of cases of aphasia.
I remember Willis had infamous head injuries during filming of Tears of the Sun and one of the 00s Die Hard sequels.

Just saw this too from Googling:

Bruce Willis invents 'concussion buster'.

Bruce Willis has created a device to avoid head injuries on the set of his action films - a helmet made of rubber bands he calls his 'concussion buster'.

During an interview with talk show host David Letterman, the 54-year-old Die Hard star banged and bounced his head on the desk to prove how well the device works.

"I'm feeling a little clumsy lately. A little clumsy around the house and clumsy on the sets. You know, you get a little kicked in the head sometimes, banged around. I'm getting a little older so I was fooling around the house and I get one of those little rubber band balls. This protects my head. I like to call it Bruce Willis' concussion buster."

talking robot

Sad to hear that. I grew up watching him on the big screen. My favorite films of his were the fifth element and the Die Hard movies.

Withnail

That's awful news. I loved his films back in the day - the Die Hards are always good for a rewatch, as is Hudson Hawk which was surprisingly entertaining after being savaged when it came out.

Chairman Steve

Yeah, although I guess they weren't aware of the cognitive issues in the first video, which isn't their fault, it wasn't a well known rumor I suppose. But good job on their behalf making the second video with this in mind, it made the awkward dialogue scenes with the earpiece make more sense (no one can be thhhaaatt lazy that they don't care to even read a script for simple dialogue) and the reasoning for making so many of these low budget movies.

I just wonder if someone like Liam Neeson is doing it for the money too or a similar reason.
Yeah I don’t think RLM are at any fault. The first video in question was more based around the types of movies that Bruce Willis appeared in (the geezer teasers) and noted other names like Travolta and Cage but were more interested in Willis because the sheer amount of movies he put out in a two year period.

I‘m glad they did do a follow-up to clarify the speculation that if Willis was ill then it would make a lot more sense why he did those movies and it would be sad. It was just rumours at the end of the day and showbiz is an endless forest of rumours.

I think they made more fun of the filmmakers and other actors rather than Bruce Willis as well. I think the only thing they really criticised him was just phoning the performances in.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Awful news. Might explain the proper rubbish he’s been in lately. And Die Hard 5. Absolutely loved Bruce growing up. 10 year old me couldn’t handle the end of Armageddon - still the only film I’ve teared up at :lol: Watched 12 monkeys the other day again - such a classic.

For me, it's Look Who's Talking Too.

Still remember my mum renting the VHS for me alongside Little Bigfoot from our local shop in the school summer holidays (rent 2 movies and bring them back same day before 5PM for £1 :cool:)

Two cinematic masterpieces.

Infra-red

Awful news. Might explain the proper rubbish he’s been in lately. And Die Hard 5. Absolutely loved Bruce growing up. 10 year old me couldn’t handle the end of Armageddon - still the only film I’ve teared up at :lol: Watched 12 monkeys the other day again - such a classic.
It seems he's been ill for quite some time. He was acting strangely in interviews promoting Red 2 in 2013. He wore a (clearly visible) earpiece on stage to feed him lines during the run of Misery, his Broadway debut in 2015 (this was later confirmed by a press representative). Since 2015, he has almost exclusively done direct-to-video films, working only a day or two in each case, with earpieces again clearly visible in some scenes, very little dialogue and some obvious use of dubbing/body doubles. His output went from 2 or 3 films a year, to 18 films in the last 2 years. It was speculated at the time that he was tired of the movie business and was just phoning it in for the money, but in hindsight, that's a very unfair assessment - he was ill and trying to work to provide for his family while he still could. The only films he's made in the last 7 years that weren't direct-to-video are Death Wish, Motherless Brooklyn and Glass, none of which he did promotion/interviews for, with the exception of a Comic Con press conference for Glass in 2018, the video of which shows him very obviously struggling to communicate.

As you say, it's awful news. The guy is an absolute legend and Die Hard will rightly go down as the greatest action film of all time.

RedMist99

I'll never forget the twist in the Sixth Sense, when you find out the dude in the hair piece is Bruce Willis for the whole movie

Also, feck degenerative brain diseases. All the best, Bruce

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
My daughter is a SLP in NY and treats people with this all the time. Sometimes she teaches patients to do basic sentences and other times she says they can somewhat regain most of what they have lost. Obviously there are different degrees to this affliction. Some people have learned to talk again with a good degree of communication skills and some don’t. It all depends on the cause. Hopefully he has a decent diagnosis and gets the care he needs. And Die Hard is a Christmas movie.

Blood Mage

He'll be remembered for Die Hard mostly but Pulp Fiction, The Fifth Element and The Sixth Sense were his best movies. All the best to him in his retirement, he has plenty of daughters to look after him at least!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
My daughter is a SLP in NY and treats people with this all the time. Sometimes she teaches patients to do basic sentences and other times she says they can somewhat regain most of what they have lost. Obviously there are different degrees to this affliction. Some people have learned to talk again with a good degree of communication skills and some don’t. It all depends on the cause. Hopefully he has a decent diagnosis and gets the care he needs. And Die Hard is a Christmas movie.
Comforting to know theres a way back from it, thanks for sharing

Big Andy

Bloke
I’m of an age now when the people you were fans of when you’re a kid are starting to get old/sick and/or die.
Willis, Samuel L Jackson, Stallone, Arnie, Travolta, Ford, Hamill, the list is endless.

Then you have footballers, Robbo, whiteside, Hughes, etc not getting any younger either.

getting old is shit

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Comforting to know theres a way back from it, thanks for sharing
Yep, couldn’t me more proud of the work she does helping people regain their speech and their dignity somewhat. The whole speech therapy community is talking about it she says. Its all about the root cause that determines the outcome. People who get afflicted to a lesser degree can talk but the words come out completely wrong in some cases. She has dealt with a few people who are much older that used to be in the spotlight and they just get so frustrated knowing the way back might take longer than they have left. Hopefully we hear good news soon if it’s made public.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Always sad to hear about people getting these sort of issues. Hopefully he can still enjoy life. He has been part of some really great movies.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Isn't he way young for dementia? Awful news! Best action hero ever.
There is early onset Alzheimer's (dementia is a symptom potentially caused by a number of things with Alzheimer's being the most common). They have said Willis has Aphasia, an inability to formulate or comprehend language due to damage to a specific part of the brain, which is occasionally caused by things like Alzheimer's or brain cancer/infection, but is most often caused by a stroke or physical brain injury (according to Google/Wikipedia).

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Bruce will be remembered in film schools as the guy who broke the mould of what action stars are supposed to be or look like. Funny, not the beefiest of guys (compared to the Stallone or Arnold of that period) and yet... created a whole new approach to action movies.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Sad news, it's starting to make sense the number of films he's been in lately, featured on the covers/posters as such but really doing little more than playing cameo roles. He's been a huge entertainer and I hope he and his family still have time to enjoy a bit of life.

Mercurial

There is early onset Alzheimer's (dementia is a symptom potentially caused by a number of things with Alzheimer's being the most common). They have said Willis has Aphasia, an inability to formulate or comprehend language due to damage to a specific part of the brain, which is occasionally caused by things like Alzheimer's or brain cancer/infection, but is most often caused by a stroke or physical brain injury (according to Google/Wikipedia).
Hopefully it's not the full spectrum then and just the limited variety for him, as a few said he is 67, guess I remember these stars as their younger on screen images in my mind.

UncleBob

There are different neurological conditions which cause different types of dementia. As you say, some present earlier on in life.
Yeah. Growing up, it was more or less considered an illness for the elderly, they’d simply forget things and repeat themselves like a broken record, not the end of the world and all that.

Sadly, there’s so many different levels to it. Like being in your 50’s and the first thing out the window is your ability to communicate, which completely isolates you.

Shit like that, ALS etc is pretty much the ticket to clock out permanently on your own terms rather than waiting

RedDevilQuebecois

Bruce will be remembered in film schools as the guy who broke the mould of what action stars are supposed to be or look like. Funny, not the beefiest of guys (compared to the Stallone or Arnold of that period) and yet... created a whole new approach to action movies.
Yep. He was the embodiement of a believable and really human action hero.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Yup, he was the working class action hero. Not some infantilised hollywood ideal that had come before him.

Idxomer

Very sad, it also looks like he was being exploited in the last few years with the number of movies he made.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
How awful. Getting old really does suck.

UncleBob

I’ve only read it briefly, but it doesn’t really rule out two less than unlikely options:
a) He wanted to work as long as possible because he didn’t want to let go of his profession
b) He wanted to work as long as possible to earn as much money as possible in order to make sure his family won’t struggle