Bruno: ”I just want to keep fighting. I want to be here. My family wants to be here.”

Pickle85

Last five years? Players at United should not get 1 shit season like Rashford, let alone 2 in 3. Who cares what he did in 2019.
But Bruno has never had a 'shit' season for us. And I think it's absolutely ludicrous to throw a player away over one poor season. Thank feck you're not making the decisions. Also, you're now moving the goalposts because you realise you didn't read properly.

And can you point out where I was fanboying?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
But Bruno has never had a 'shit' season for us. And I think it's absolutely ludicrous to throw a player away over one poor season. Thank feck you're not making the decisions. Also, you're now moving the goalposts because you realise you didn't read properly.

And can you point out where I was fanboying?
Fernandes was terrible in the Rangnick season and got dropped.

I've never rated him, especially like the 'chance creator' brigade, but my point has always been that we don't always have to sell a horse on its last legs but move like Real. Why is it our fans point to Fergie getting rid of Ruud for Ronaldo and yet cannot see how having a 30-year-old scatter-gun of a captain won't put us on the path to success in a couple of years?

He might have another good and another decent year in him but move him now and refresh the squad with the money.

Certainly, do NOT give him more money and an even longer contract which is what INEOS are doing and why he's crying about it in the press.

GazTheLegend

Certainly, do NOT give him more money and an even longer contract which is what INEOS are doing and why he's crying about it in the press.
He's the one player keeping us above relegation level. He made more chances this season than any other player in the league, in the worst United side I think I've ever seen

Pickle85

Fernandes was terrible in the Rangnick season and got dropped.

I've never rated him, especially like the 'chance creator' brigade, but my point has always been that we don't always have to sell a horse on its last legs but move like Real.

He might have another good and another decent year in him but move him now and refresh the squad with the money.

What a load of rubbish. He scored 10 in 35 in the league and that's ignoring assists. He played 35/38 games in ragnick's season so not sure what you're on about with him being dropped, unless it was for a game or two. He scored two and assisted two in the CL too. He was clearly still one of our key players.

Why are you so cynical about his reasons for the press piece? If there's one player in the squad that's given no reason for cynicism it's him. You just don't like him.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
What a load of rubbish. He scored 10 in 35 in the league and that's ignoring assists. He played 35/38 games in ragnick's season so not sure what you're on about with him being dropped, unless it was for a game or two. He scored two and assisted two in the CL too. He was clearly still one of our key players.

Why are you so cynical about his reasons for the press piece? If there's one player in the squad that's given no reason for cynicism it's him. You just don't like him.
I actually like his attitude (for the most part) but I don't rate him as a United level player. That's pretty obvious.

But the same wat we've apparently 'sacked' EtH before a final, I'm not a fan of such bullshit PR before we go out and get trounced by Citeh again tomorrow (bloody hope I'm wrong).

Rockets Redglare

From a business perspective , it's probably that ' our best performer in years ' and leader hasn't actually raised overall company performance.
I’m not saying with should give him one, I just don’t see how it’s an issue that he wants to stay.

Pickle85

From a business perspective , it's probably that ' our best performer in years ' and leader hasn't actually raised overall company performance.
Not an argument that makes sense as it presupposes that we'd have performed just as well without him, which imo is nonsense.

NZT-One

Not an argument that makes sense as it presupposes that we'd have performed just as well without him, which imo is nonsense.
You are right. Those speculations don't have more or less likelihood, that is why the argument "we would have been so much worse without him" is not really carrying much weight, just as the counterargument "we would have been better without him". Even though this is used far fewer times than the first one.

Pickle85

You are right. Those speculations don't have more or less likelihood, that is why the argument "we would have been so much worse without him" is not really carrying much weight, just as the counterargument "we would have been better without him". Even though this is used far fewer times than the first one.
But when we've been without Bruno we have looked significantly less threatening going forward and less creative, so not sure what you're on about...

NZT-One

But when we've been without Bruno we have looked significantly less threatening going forward and less creative, so not sure what you're on about...
Your logic still applies. We can't be sure what would happen in such scenarios. If we wouldn't have had him we might have brought in somebody like Kudus by now. Or somebody else. Or we would have tried Sancho in that position. We simply don't know where we would be. Just as we can't say for sure that we would be better off without him.

I am not trying to have a dig at the player here, I only underline the weakness of some of the arguments. On both sides.

Pickle85

Your logic still applies. We can't be sure what would happen in such scenarios. If we wouldn't have had him we might have brought in somebody like Kudus by now. Or somebody else. Or we would have tried Sancho in that position. We simply don't know where we would be. Just as we can't say for sure that we would be better off without him.
So your logic is that it's impossible to make any kind of reasonable prediction for anything that hasn't happened?

It's really, really not a huge leap of logic to claim that we'd be worse off without Bruno, given that he's been our best player of the last five years, whereas it is a huge stretch to claim the opposite for the same reason.

Also...Kudus for Fernandes? Eh?!

NZT-One

Exactly. I prefer players saying the wrong things.
I'll bite. I would be genuinely interested, if you really didn't understand the point, the other poster meant?

Not a fan of these kind of statements, they can be twisted so many ways.

I think he genuinely loves the club and wants to stay.

Maybe behind the scenes he wants some assurances of the direction over the next couple of years, but he's got 2+1 left on his contract. If he's anglinng for a new deal he should just be told to leave it until the end of the season.
I genuinely believe he loves his life right now. That his family enjoys it here as well and his kids get into the club are positive addons. And I am sure he'd be more than comfortable staying where he is where people adore him and he is well paid.

The article said nothing about him dreaming of United. It said that he always wanted to play in the PL. So who knows, maybe he would have wrote the same article when he would be a player of Liverpool or Chelsea now.

Articles like that are pure fanservice. There are enough people around who know what fans like and or not like. My first thought was that he employed the same ghostwriter that works for Rashford.

I am happy to hear that he enjoys life and that he wants to commit to the club. It is the right attitude. Lets hope we will find a way to set up in the future to play better football. If Bruno stays, I am fine with it, no personal issue with him, only reason I would be pro-selling is that I think the funds would be more useful down the line than having him in the team. But that is certainly debatable.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
"I just want my expectations to fit with the expectations of the club. If you go talk to any fan, they will tell you the same thing. We want to compete for the league. We want to be playing [UEFA] Champions League football. We want to be in cup finals. That is the standard. That is what I want. That is what you all deserve.

Rooney all over again but classier. Though giving him a long term contract will lead to the same situation.

Pickle85

So who knows, maybe he would have wrote the same article when he would be a player of Liverpool or Chelsea now.

Articles like that are pure fanservice.
There are enough people around who know what fans like and or not like. My first thought was that he employed the same ghostwriter that works for Rashford.

I am happy to hear that he enjoys life and that he wants to commit to the club. It is the right attitude. Lets hope we will find a way to set up in the future to play better football. If Bruno stays, I am fine with it, no personal issue with him, only reason I would be pro-selling is that I think the funds would be more useful down the line than having him in the team. But that is certainly debatable.
So much conjecture here.

NZT-One

So your logic is that it's impossible to make any kind of reasonable prediction for anything that hasn't happened?

It's really, really not a huge leap of logic to claim that we'd be worse off without Bruno, given that he's been our best player of the last five years, whereas it is a huge stretch to claim the opposite for the same reason.

Also...Kudus for Fernandes? Eh?!
I wouldn't say it is impossible. But it is speculation. And the reasoning that you find convincing doesn't have to be convincing for somebody else. I don't think, that it should be forbidden or anything, I just think that most of those "piles of opinions and conclusions based on those opinions" don't really carry much substance.

Bruno has been our most productive player in recent years. Probably our best one. But who knows - if Ole wouldn't have the chance to go long with balls from Bruno in behind to Rashford, he might have come up with different ideas. Again, I think there aren't many who would disagree with you when state that the current United team would be seriously weakened without Bruno. But the question is do we want to be the current United team only with a few better players. I know the answer for me. Whats yours?

NZT-One

So much conjecture here.
I agree. But I don't think that it is less likely than him being so overwhelmed with love for the club that he feels the need to share some memories with us one day before a final.

Pickle85

I wouldn't say it is impossible. But it is speculation. And the reasoning that you find convincing doesn't have to be convincing for somebody else. I don't think, that it should be forbidden or anything, I just think that most of those "piles of opinions and conclusions based on those opinions" don't really carry much substance.

Bruno has been our most productive player in recent years. Probably our best one. But who knows - if Ole wouldn't have the chance to go long with balls from Bruno in behind to Rashford, he might have come up with different ideas. Again, I think there aren't many who would disagree with you when state that the current United team would be seriously weakened without Bruno. But the question is do we want to be the current United team only with a few better players. I know the answer for me. Whats yours?
My answer is no, I want to be a much better united team. But I'm not sure why that means Bruno should go too.

Re the bolded, you don't think that opinions and conclusions carry substance, but do you believe that the statistics - which paint Bruno as an incredibly creative and productive player - carry substance then?

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
He’s no Scholes, Pirlo, Modric etc type technical marvel I’d usually expect to age brilliantly. Or a Ronaldo type physical (and technical) specimen. Not to say that he can age well, but I’m wary of him being another Rooney type situation for us.
Got you, was physically I think his engine is pretty exceptional - he literally never stops.

Would be great if he proved you wrong about the technical stuff, here’s hoping!

Thanks for explaining.

Oranges038

I'll bite. I would be genuinely interested, if you really didn't understand the point, the other poster meant?

I genuinely believe he loves his life right now. That his family enjoys it here as well and his kids get into the club are positive addons. And I am sure he'd be more than comfortable staying where he is where people adore him and he is well paid.

The article said nothing about him dreaming of United. It said that he always wanted to play in the PL. So who knows, maybe he would have wrote the same article when he would be a player of Liverpool or Chelsea now.

Articles like that are pure fanservice. There are enough people around who know what fans like and or not like. My first thought was that he employed the same ghostwriter that works for Rashford.

In fairness he does mention Man Red. Like that he played PES, can see a bit of Minanda in the way he plays. He was also a Portuguese no.10.

If my mother made me stay inside for some reason, then I was playing football on the Sega or the PlayStation. I’m not talking about FIFA. I’m talking about the classics. Championship Manager and Pro Evolution Soccer.

Facu. Roberto Larcos. Castolo. Koko. Minanda. The legends of the Master League. I was managing “Man Red” to glory whenever I was not at the park.
Could be BS, all depends on which game he was playing because Utd were Aragon / Trad Bricks for a while.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I did. I just don’t get the idea that players shouldn’t give interviews. That’s what it would mean. If they say something nice about the club, fans, teammates -> ”Seems to always want to say the right things”.

Now I kind of understand the criticism if the player who says some things about giving his best doesn’t match it with his effort. Bruno and Herrera definitely do/did.

Pickle85

In fairness he does mention Man Red. Like that he played PES, can see a bit of Minanda in the way he plays. He was also a Portuguese no.10.

Could be BS, all depends on which game he was playing because Utd were Aragon / Trad Bricks for a while.
Deep cut, but he was a mainstay of my ML team in pro ev...5 I think?!

NZT-One

My answer is no, I want to be a much better united team. But I'm not sure why that means Bruno should go too.
I agree. I also don't see why he would have to go for that. But right now there might be an opportunity to bring in some funds to bring in players for that "much better United team". This is all (at least for me). I made my peace with him being a United player.

Re the bolded, you don't think that opinions and conclusions carry substance, but do you believe that the statistics - which paint Bruno as an incredibly creative and productive player - carry substance then?
I like statistics. What about the teams xG, the number of wins, the number of goals scored? I see your point, I am not against stats, but some seem to think they only have to go to fbref for 10 seconds to reach the promised land. Stats while objective can be used to paint pictures. Just look at Statman dave. It can be the worst game of a United team in weeks, yet he'll find numbers to create a "magnifico" tweet.

Ah, yes you are right. THat part wouldn't align with my standpoint.

I did. I just don’t get the idea that players shouldn’t give interviews. That’s what it would mean. If they say something nice about the club, fans, teammates -> ”Seems to always want to say the right things”.

Now I kind of understand the criticism if the player who says some things about giving his best doesn’t match it with his effort. Bruno and Herrera definitely do/did.
Not sure that this is the point I understood. There is a concept of fanservice. Doing something that doesn't take too much effort and too much risk to gain easy points. It is often found in tv series but I think, it applies in many parts of life. For me personally, it definitely has its place in football. I genuinely believe, I would know what to say and how to depict myself to be a fan favorite (given that my performances match it of course, which is where the realm of fiction would begin in this example).
Look at J. Henderson. A wannabe hard man who made it to club captain without being a great great footballer. Or influence the most important games. By knowing what to say and when and how to behave when he knew that fans are watching (scene with D. Costa)
And to some degree, I personally see that in Bruno as well. And a few others as well. Being busy and "press" when nobody else does, emotional posts, showing long history with the club, how proud and blessed one is to experience fans like "us"... Feels like fanservice. But you are right, it might also be the case that some people (me) became a little too cynical...

top1whoisman

Scout
Not sure that this is the point I understood. There is a concept of fanservice. Doing something that doesn't take too much effort and too much risk to gain easy points. It is often found in tv series but I think, it applies in many parts of life. For me personally, it definitely has its place in football. I genuinely believe, I would know what to say and how to depict myself to be a fan favorite (given that my performances match it of course, which is where the realm of fiction would begin in this example).
Look at J. Henderson. A wannabe hard man who made it to club captain without being a great great footballer. Or influence the most important games. By knowing what to say and when and how to behave when he knew that fans are watching (scene with D. Costa)
And to some degree, I personally see that in Bruno as well. And a few others as well. Being busy and "press" when nobody else does, emotional posts, showing long history with the club, how proud and blessed one is to experience fans like "us"... Feels like fanservice. But you are right, it might also be the case that some people (me) became a little too cynical...
Sure, if you want live in a cynical world, you can assume every footballer just says the right things without ever meaning them.

NZT-One

Sure, if you want live in a cynical world, you can assume every footballer just says the right things without ever meaning them.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be a conscious decision. But I guess I am fine as long as those kind of things aren't factors in him getting longer contracts. I am genuinely happy to see so many thinking it is the right decision not to extend his contract now.

top1whoisman

Scout
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be a conscious decision. But I guess I am fine as long as those kind of things aren't factors in him getting longer contracts. I am genuinely happy to see so many thinking it is the right decision not to extend his contract now.
So him loving the club and the fans lead to him getting a new contract? Think it’s his performances on the pitch that dictate that.

Pickle85

I like statistics. What about the teams xG, the number of wins, the number of goals scored? I see your point, I am not against stats, but some seem to think they only have to go to fbref for 10 seconds to reach the promised land. Stats while objective can be used to paint pictures. Just look at Statman dave. It can be the worst game of a United team in weeks, yet he'll find numbers to create a "magnifico" tweet.
I agree with most of this, but if you think that 'most of those "piles of opinions and conclusions based on those opinions" don't really carry much substance' and you're also dubious about statistics then what do you base your opinions on? Because Bruno broadly ticks both boxes.

Oranges038

Deep cut, but he was a mainstay of my ML team in pro ev...5 I think?!
Valeny, Minanda, Ximelex, Harty and Castolo PES 3/4/5 & 6 maybe.

Minanda had all the guile of a turn of the century no 10. I'll have to stop looking at those before I end up firing up the PS2 and wasting the weekend.

Brightonian

I fecking adore the guy, think he's world class, United through and through, and I want him to retire with us at the age of 40.

I also don't think we should offer him some mad huge contract this summer.

And I don't think the two positions have to be contradictory.

Eriku

Some of the takes in this thread are baffling. If anybody in our squad puts their money where their mouth is, it’s Bruno. Never stops trying, always runs like a madman, invariably one of our most productive players every season.

He should be no-where near a clear-out conversation, and he’s earned a bit of trust because he’s shown week in week out that he’ll leave it all on the field.

I’m glad RedCafe isn’t representative of the fanbase at large.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Some of the takes in this thread are baffling. If anybody in our squad puts their money where their mouth is, it’s Bruno. Never stops trying, always runs like a madman, invariably one of our most productive players every season.

He should be no-where near a clear-out conversation, and he’s earned a bit of trust because he’s shown week in week out that he’ll leave it all on the field.

I’m glad RedCafe isn’t representative of the fanbase at large.
Well said. Bonkers opinions in this thread.

Pickle85

Valeny, Minanda, Ximelex, Harty and Castolo PES 3/4/5 & 6 maybe.

Minanda had all the guile of a turn of the century no 10. I'll have to stop looking at those before I end up firing up the PS2 and wasting the weekend.
:lol:my other half is away for the weekend and this has given me inspiration. The treble is ON!

Pickle85

I fecking adore the guy, think he's world class, United through and through, and I want him to retire with us at the age of 40.

I also don't think we should offer him some mad huge contract this summer.

And I don't think the two positions have to be contradictory.
Agree entirely.

NZT-One

So him loving the club and the fans lead to him getting a new contract? Think it’s his performances on the pitch that dictate that.
I've seen enough in the last years to assume, that this is a bigger factor in decision making than it should be (see decision to make Ole permanent). I agree with you, obviously performances should be the most important factor and obviously public perception has its place as one of other smaller factors but with United, I am not so sure if the weighting of those factors has been right and for now, I have nothing than hope that Ineos won't continue such mistakes. And just for the record, but I am sure, you agree - pragmatic forward thinking should also go into such decisions: and selling a nearly 30 year old for big money when the opportunity is there, would be pragmatic. Which isn't to say we have to do it just because it is pragmatic. But denying that it would be, seems wrong to me.

I agree with most of this, but if you think that 'most of those "piles of opinions and conclusions based on those opinions" don't really carry much substance' and you're also dubious about statistics then what do you base your opinions on? Because Bruno broadly ticks both boxes.
Just like anybody else I try to be as objective as I can. And also just like anybody else I consider the factors that I base my conclusions on as more substantial as their counterparts. We all are susceptible for biases of all kinds. Reading this thread and the other thread about Bruno, you will come across many strong opinions, absolute statements. And my only point is, that some if not most of those "truth-s" aren't as substantial as they are presented. Be that the conclusion "Bruno really really loves the club because this article" or "he is our best player we have to build around him because look at his key passes stat". I have no issue with such statements per se, but every once in a while poster who don't subscripe to that way of conclusion are getting called names. And that is what stirs me up, personally. Because I think, the arguments for aren't really better than the arguments against.