Bruno: ”I just want to keep fighting. I want to be here. My family wants to be here.”

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Good player. I want us to keep him but I don’t think it should be on an enormous or lengthy contract. I’d expect him to start declining after 2 years max anyway, as he hasn’t got the close control / technical genius or top class physicality.

mikeyt

He wants a new contract and he’s not getting it.
My exact thoughts, the timing of this the day before a cup final after the rumours. Feels like a plea to get the fans on side

Rustyspider13

That was a wonderful read, thanks for sharing OP. You can never know for sure but I choose to believe Bruno.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Trying hard for a new contract. That 25% reduction in wages for not qualifying for the CL must hurt. Is there a further reduction if we are out of Europe all together?

Can't hate him for it though. He is a trier after all.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
More what? Money?
TBF he does deserve to be our highest earner.

But obviously, I meant a more functional club, more trophies, competing at the top, better players around it, better managers. He's good enough for it, but the club have let him down massively since he's signed.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
TBF he does deserve to be our highest earner.

But obviously, I meant a more functional club, more trophies, competing at the top, better players around it, better managers. He's good enough for it, but the club have let him down massively since he's signed.
Not if he is already on very high wages and the highest earners are the "highest earners" because of the stupidity of the previous regime. Varane is leaving, Case most likely will follow him. It'll only be Rashford, and we should have never given him that big of a contract in the first place.

Pickle85

Ffs I naively thought that, having read what's a pretty nice statement from Bruno, this thread would be a really positive one but you've still got the usual suspects in here moaning about how we need to sell our best player to progress as a club.

Also, what has Bruno ever shown to justify some of the 'he just wants a new contract'/'it's a come and get me plea' cynicism? He's always given everything for the club - effort levels never dip when he's been recontracted and he's one of the only ones in that squad that I'd say genuinely cares about the club. Some of you just don't deserve nice things.

Widow

Ffs I naively thought that, having read what's a pretty nice statement from Bruno, this thread would be a really positive one but you've still got the usual suspects in here moaning about how we need to sell our best player to progress as a club.

Also, what has Bruno ever shown to justify some of the 'he just wants a new contract'/'it's a come and get me plea' cynicism? He's always given everything for the club - effort levels never dip when he's been recontracted and he's one of the only ones in that squad that I'd say genuinely cares about the club. Some of you just don't deserve nice things.
Agreed! He's been our best player since he arrived and he also tries his heart out every single game. He deserves to be in a team where the players around him are performing.

Lyng

I like the thinking. We have one player who is actually good, and a bunch of others who are ok to crap. We need to improve. Let's sell the good player.
Yeah it seems daft doesn't it Logan...

There is zero reason to sell him this window.

Pickle85

Agreed! He's been our best player since he arrived and he also tries his heart out every single game. He deserves to be in a team where the players around him are performing.
Absolutely.

Lemoor

Nothing says that he wants to leave if he doesn't get a new contract like "I love it here, I don't want to leave'.

spiriticon

I think he would have been amazing under Sir Alex.

He needs a mentor with a cool head to calm his fiery nature.

Kirk lazarus

I could be completely wrong , but I don't think Jimbo likes bruno .

This sounds more like a personal rallying call than a United rallying call . Wouldn't surprise me if the decision to sell has already been made and Bruno is aware of it .

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Imagine wanting to get rid of one of the few players that actually gives a shit

tomaldinho1

He wants a new contract and he’s not getting it.
Honestly I'm amazed fans still fall for it.

This is a quote from Herrera who was also 29 and supposedly wasn't interested in the 2 or 2+1 deal we were offering him + rumours his agent was pushing for insane money based off the idiocy to put DDG on £350k a week.

I got the Player of the Year award by the fans and the club didn't call me that summer to sign a new contract, and they did with other players.
They did offer him a deal beforehand but it wasn't what he wanted.

He chose £200k a week on a 5 year deal at PSG over staying around where was at United on £125-£130k on a short term deal...players dress it up with the 'the fans have been phenomenal', 'I love this club more than I can explain' but it's all PR.

The guy is on a big salary, he still has 2 years left but he's looking at guys like Case who have played a blinder and got an absolutely bumper deal that takes them into their mid thirties. I don't blame him I just think it's odd people fall for it.

Pickle85

This.

I don't buy the players bullshit anymore.
They're individual people, you know, with unique personalities, attitudes and feelings. Saying you don't buy the players' bullshit anymore is essentially saying they're all the same, when Bruno has quite clearly demonstrated a level of attitude, desire and performance that's way ahead of the vast majority of the squad.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
But what is the issue with our best performer in years wanting a new contract?
I have no issue with him wanting a new contract (whether we should actually give him one is another matter), I'm just pointing out that that's clearly the motivation behind all the noises coming from his side in recent weeks

bstb3

Can't start a new Man United chapter with the some of the main actors of previous regime.
Of course you can. You just have to make sure to spectacularly write them out early on. Like what Disney did to Han Solo. Went really well after that.

Seriously though it's a good piece from him I thought. He obviously cares, and we need more of that in the club. I've zero issues keeping players like that to help us through the next years which are likely to be bumpy anyway. If he wants to stay, without nonsense wages, then it's a win win for me.

Last edited:

IRN-BRUno

Can his wife or children play CB? Since they want to be here as well
His brother captains Roffey who have just been promoted from the 10th tier but I think he plays in the same position as Bruno!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Of course he could just be pointing out we need to buy some better players and get a manager who can make us winners. Remember he has been here to witness the Greenwood situation, the Sancho situation, the Ronaldo situation and Rashford's disinterest in his job. While at the same time he is putting the effort in and has to listen to the likes of Keane and Co. ripping him to bits. Maybe the culture of the club massaging ego's of the likes of Ronaldo/Rashford and letting some young players getting bigger than their talents and contributions has justified has grated on him a bit.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Of course you can. You just have to make sure to spectacularly write them out early on. Like what Disney did to Han Solo. Went really well after that.

Seriously though it's a good piece from him I thought. He obviously cares, and we need more of that in the club. I've zero issues keeping players like that to help us through the next years which are likely to be bumpy anyway. If he wants to stay, without nonsense wages, then it's a win win for me.
Maybe you're right but still, he has got to go for me. Specially if he wants a new contract.

Pickle85

Maybe you're right but still, he has got to go for me. Specially if he wants a new contract.
But we're not going to get rid of a dozen or so players (replace all the old guard) in a summer or two. I still fail to see why Bruno can't play a part in the new regime?!

stepic

How many of you who want to keep him also complain about our inability to control possession and dictate play in the middle of the pitch? Because you can’t have both.

He’s one of our best players but he also holds us back due to the way he plays. Ultimately he’s a player we should be moving on now while we still can.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
But we're not going to get rid of a dozen or so players (replace all the old guard) in a summer or two. I still fail to see why Bruno can't play a part in the new regime?!
I've been wanting him gone for a while tbh. If he ends up staying then it will still be ok.
I don't think we will move towards being a truly technical team with him as a main player despite his productivity.