Bruno announced as new Manchester United captain

twitter thread suggester
He’s played virtually every single game since he’s arrived. Becoming captain isn’t going to make it any different.
It will make it even more difficult to drop him. Also for a potentially new manager at some point.

MiracleInMadrid

Question is if he’s capable to adapt and lure out the constant high risc he’s playing with.

I know he probably is too old to completely change that aspect of his way of playing, but he should be smart enough to be better at deciding when and when not to have that approach.

I believe that we in earlier seasons have seen up go from frustrating to a lot more effective. Probably parallel with the team as a whole improving.

I still have faith in ETH and Bruno figuring this out. Especially if we play better and more structured as a team.
But for the long term development of the team, we need to start looking at someone who can challenge him seriously and also work as a alternative in the odd game.

SATA

He’s an absolutely crap of a captain when the team is losing. He doesn’t rally or inspire his teammates but resorts to moaning and pointing fingers everywhere

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Varane should've been captain, he's our best player and a leader

Appletonred

To be honest, Ten Hag has been making some questionable decisions recently, and the captaincy is one of them, in light of the 7-0 massacre at Liverpool and
the petulance from Bruno that day then that should have been the biggest clue that he is not really the guy who you would want next to you in the trenches.

Again, we come back to the manager who is ultimately responsible, personally, and its just an opinion, then if you want a captain with a winners mentality
then give the armband to one of the guys who have been there and done it and got the biggest trophies, and that is Casemiro and Varane, for me, one
of those two should have the armband.

gajender

He's the most creative player in the league, stop spouting nonsense.
Right keep your head firmly buried in sand no issues but reality has this strange habit of eventually catching up you'll get there as well .

NotQuiteManc

It is difficult to say, but, even after all the goals and assists, he may not be the best captain. He more often that not, would lose discipline and concentration when the team need him the most (goal down etc.). It is unfair, and I am probably spoiled by one of the best players and captain in Roy Keane, but Bruno needs to be dropped from time to time. At least, be one of the players to be substituted.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
He's not captain material. Constantly moaning and complaining instead of motivating and reorganising. Varane is probably the better choice.

flameinthesun

Question is if he’s capable to adapt and lure out the constant high risc he’s playing with.

I know he probably is too old to completely change that aspect of his way of playing, but he should be smart enough to be better at deciding when and when not to have that approach.

I believe that we in earlier seasons have seen up go from frustrating to a lot more effective. Probably parallel with the team as a whole improving.

I still have faith in ETH and Bruno figuring this out. Especially if we play better and more structured as a team.
But for the long term development of the team, we need to start looking at someone who can challenge him seriously and also work as a alternative in the odd game.
My personal view is he will never change his style. It is highly effective in the right tactics for example, I think a prime Jose team would have loved him and prime Ole with loads of space for him to pop balls into was perfect for him. As I've said in another thread the reality of it is he's not the ideal player if you want to control possession, its simply not his game. With this team ive been asking myself whether Pep would have bought him for city and I think not. He clearly lacks the discipline and game intelligence to play possession football at an elite level, not to say he couldnt do a decent job at it but why would you buy him when you have other players who that style of play comes natural to them.

Its how I've been feeling about a lot of players in this team and why I think at its core it will struggle to compete for a league or Champs league.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I think Onana would be a good captain. Maybe next year.

OverratedOpinion

Varane is a world class CB. Bruno is not a world class midfielder. He's world class at creating chances.
Bruno is a better attacking midfielder than Varane is a centre back. Bruno is pretty comfortably our best player and has been since he signed for us.

zaafi

Bruno is a better attacking midfielder than Varane is a centre back. Bruno is pretty comfortably our best player and has been since he signed for us.
Key word here being attacking midfielder. Creating chances is what he's good at, and is a big reason why our midfield is unbalanced. He can't even finish sitters any more, and an attacking midfielder really should be scoring goals. Just watch Ødegaard.

OverratedOpinion

Key word here being attacking midfielder. Creating chances is what he's good at, and is a big reason why our midfield is unbalanced. He can't even finish sitters any more, and an attacking midfielder really should be scoring goals. Just watch Ødegaard.
I'm so close to giving up with this forum, I really struggle to try and talk to some people as if their opinions are reasonable and worth discussing.

He missed 1 header and he now should no longer be our captain despite being voted to be the captain by our entire squad, chosen by our manager and being our best player since he signed.

Jesus wept.

zaafi

I'm so close to giving up with this forum, I really struggle to try and talk to some people as if their opinions are reasonable and worth discussing.

He missed 1 header and he now should no longer be our captain despite being voted to be the captain by our entire squad, chosen by our manager and being our best player since he signed.

Jesus wept.
Missed one header? Did you watch his misses from last season? Jesus Christ.

A captain that whines to the referees, and to his players and just loses his head when things don't go our way. Very good!

You're saying this as if we're a good team or something.

OverratedOpinion

Missed one header? Did you watch his misses from last season? Jesus Christ.

A captain that whines to the referees, and to his players and just loses his head when things don't go our way. Very good!

You're saying this as if we're a good team or something.
Our problem as a team is not missing chances, it's creating them. We have 1 player who frequently creates chances and he does so to a level that is comparable to anyone in the league, even those in far better teams.

A captain who applies pressure on the referee? God forbid. Loses his head? Again judging from one game against Liverpool where he was just so disgusted. Usually when we are struggling he continues going with his almost supernatural engine and is one of the only players to show a level of quality to dig us out of the dirt. Such as urm in the last week against Wolves.

Saying we are a bad team based on 2 games is also ridiculous. You are incredibly reactionary and it's infuriating.

zaafi

Our problem as a team is not missing chances, it's creating them. We have 1 player who frequently creates chances and he does so to a level that is comparable to anyone in the league, even those in far better teams.

A captain who applies pressure on the referee? God forbid. Loses his head? Again judging from one game against Liverpool where he was just so disgusted. Usually when we are struggling he continues going with his almost supernatural engine and is one of the only players to show a level of quality to dig us out of the dirt. Such as urm in the last week against Wolves.

Saying we are a bad team based on 2 games is also ridiculous. You are incredibly reactionary and it's infuriating.
Yeah, I suggest you go for a walk or something because clearly you're having a bad day.

Why do you think teams without a CAM are able to dominate games and create chances?

He loses his head and begins his reckless passing when shit is going against us. It is tiresome to watch, because it almost never works out. It has nothing to do with applying pressure to the referee. He wasted about 40 seconds last night discussing with the referee and it was frankly embarrassing to watch.

His pass to Bissaka was quite simple, but efficient and is a pass that every top midfielder should be able to make. It wasn't even the assist, so the real credit goes to Wan-Bissaka.

If you can't see his limitations as an all-around midfielder, that's on you. What have we won with him? How many times have we been absolutely smashed with him in the team? There is just no balance, and he is purely a moments player.

el3mel

I would have preferred Varane but this is literally the least of our problems at the moment.

crossy1686

career ending
Gotta be a chance Bruno gets a ban after those post match comments, right? Can’t see how that flies with them clamping down on perceived disrespect to officials.
They wouldn’t dare. They know they missed the penalty and by not doing anything about his comments they’re essentially saying he’s right but now they don’t have to apologise and admit their mistake.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Bruno has to be droppable. As captain he is not droppable sadly

Guapa

Needs to step it up now he's captain.Keep it simple and stop the theatrics,lead by example and work on his finishing for feck sake.

OverratedOpinion

Yeah, I suggest you go for a walk or something because clearly you're having a bad day.

Why do you think teams without a CAM are able to dominate games and create chances?

He loses his head and begins his reckless passing when shit is going against us. It is tiresome to watch, because it almost never works out. It has nothing to do with applying pressure to the referee. He wasted about 40 seconds last night discussing with the referee and it was frankly embarrassing to watch.

His pass to Bissaka was quite simple, but efficient and is a pass that every top midfielder should be able to make. It wasn't even the assist, so the real credit goes to Wan-Bissaka.

If you can't see his limitations as an all-around midfielder, that's on you. What have we won with him? How many times have we been absolutely smashed with him in the team? There is just no balance, and he is purely a moments player.
No need for a walk, I'm having a lovely Sunday. The reactionary nature of this forum in addition to certain opinions on a certain youth player are just infuriating.

That's mostly waffle but firstly whether you consider his pass to AWB simple or not (it wasn't) weird how he manages to find more of those "simple" passes than any midfielder in the league no?

If you believe a number 10 can't work presently that is a different conversation. The best managers in the world are mostly moving to 2 number 10s. Right or wrong I don't know. What I do know is Bruno is by a fair distance our best player and a better choice of captain than Varane in both my opinion and the opinion of the players who plays with both of them and the manager who oversees them.

zaafi

No need for a walk, I'm having a lovely Sunday. The reactionary nature of this forum in addition to certain opinions on a certain youth player are just infuriating.

That's mostly waffle but firstly whether you consider his pass to AWB simple or not (it wasn't) weird how he manages to find more of those "simple" passes than any midfielder in the league no?

If you believe a number 10 can't work presently that is a different conversation. The best managers in the world are mostly moving to 2 number 10s. Right or wrong I don't know. What I do know is Bruno is by a fair distance our best player and a better choice of captain than Varane in both my opinion and the opinion of the players who plays with both of them and the manager who oversees them.
It's not reactionary. It has been the case for several seasons. He is great when it comes to doing his primary job, which is to create chances. I just don't think it's what we need to become a controlling, dominant side. You see players like David Silva, Ødegaard, Özil, Fabregas, De Bruyne and want your creative midfielder to be like this. Someone who can control the game, link up excellent with their team mates and with quick one-twos and brilliant in tight spaces, and then you have players like Bruno who is the opposite, and create many of his chances by hitting a long pass to Rashford or Garnacho who are then 1 on 1 with the keeper. It's just very hit and miss, and if it's that type of creative midfielder we're going to go with, then I don't think we'll ever be a truly top side.

OverratedOpinion

It's not reactionary. It has been the case for several seasons. He is great when it comes to doing his primary job, which is to create chances. I just don't think it's what we need to become a controlling, dominant side. You see players like David Silva, Ødegaard, Özil, Fabregas, De Bruyne and want your creative midfielder to be like this. Someone who can control the game, link up excellent with their team mates and with quick one-twos and brilliant in tight spaces, and then you have players like Bruno who is the opposite, and create many of his chances by hitting a long pass to Rashford or Garnacho who are then 1 on 1 with the keeper. It's just very hit and miss, and if it's that type of creative midfielder we're going to go with, then I don't think we'll ever be a truly top side.
Ozil?! About as much of a luxury player as you can possibly get.

Bruno is a 10, if Ten Hag can't make that work and have us be a dominant side it is not his fault. You're blaming a screwdriver for not being a spanner.

zaafi

Bruno is a 10, if Ten Hag can't make that work and have us be a dominant side it is not his fault. You're blaming a screwdriver for not being a spanner.
Özil for Real Madrid was sensational, and Özil for Arsenal in the 15/16 season had assists numbers that Bruno can only dream of getting (6 goals + 19 assists). I don't think you remember prime Özil quite well.

Yes, he is a number 10 who lacks in crucial aspects needed to be part of a functional midfield who looks to dominate, which is why we're not that side. How many top sides in world football do you see who play with a 10 who is lacking technically?

klayton88

Those of you thinking he will suddenly change and become captain fantastic and lead by example etc are deluded. Hes not going to stop being a whiney little bitch at 28, it's who he is.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

Ozil being a 'luxury' player is as big a myth in football as anything.

He was one of the hardest workers at Arsenal, yet this myth persists.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think he should be playing a little deeper and be more disciplined. ETH sort it out please, he played the role all be it in limited games last season

Danish Wizard

It will be great to get Bruno back in the team, and captain the side, once he gets back from his pre-season...