g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Bruno Fernandes image 8

Bruno Fernandes Portugal flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

zbcrow15

Yesterday sums up Bruno. He works hard but he just has a terrible game and still creates a few beautiful plays that lead to big opportunities. I don't think that he will ever fully appease fans because his game is predicated on risky passes and plays that when they work, its pure class. But when it doesn't everyone moans

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Been saying this for years. Fernandes is fantastic at creating chances. One of the very best. The problem is, you only spend a very small portion of your time actually creating chances in a football match, and he isn’t very good at anything else. First and foremost, at top level midfield play, you need to have strong basics. Whether you are the defensive midfielder, the creative midfielder, the metronomic midfielder or any other iteration - FIRST AND FOREMOST, you need to be comfortable receiving the ball, shaping yourself, passing it short, passing it accurately, beating a man who is pressing, and having a footballing brain to make a series of innocuous sensible decisions etc. That is the foundation of playing any central midfield role, especially for a top club. Kanté is no De Bruyne, but he is very comfortable receiving the ball, resisting pressure and passing to the same colour shirt. You can’t be a midfielder in a team’s engine room effectively relying upon a ‘party trick’.

Creating chances is very useful, it’s just too small a part of a 90 minute match for it to determine whether or not you have played well. That is for strikers. Even 10s must do the basics consistently well. Some 10s do the basics very well and attract comments like ‘if he can just improve his output he will be really special’. That’s the icing on the cake which differentiates the very best of course, but you can’t be all icing and no cake otherwise you start to be as much of a hindrance as an asset to your team.

I really do fear for our midfield this season on current viewing. Too many fundamentals are simply missing.
Totally agree with this. Probably one of the few times I’ve looked at a footballer and wished they kept it more simple. He’s far too erratic and it hinders the team and the possession.

I don’t think he’s capable of changing either so we are stuck with him

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I missed big chunk of the game yesterday because of poor transmission. From what I saw I can't figure out what he was supposed to be doing exactly. Casemiro and Mount roles are more or less clear to me, but what is Bruno responsibilities here? He seemed strangely out of the game (not involved much).

Borys

Statistics Wizard
We can carry a creative player who gives the ball away a lot. Bruno's pass creation was 68% last night. KDB's was 60%. Odegaard 79%.

What screws us (and is very different to those two teams) is the carelessness of the players in midfield behind Bruno. Casemiro/Mount averaged 79%. Rice/Havertz averaged 90%. Rodri 97% (:eek:)
This isn't the root cause of the issue though. No doubts Rodri is elite on the ball, but he gets multiple passing options once the ball is heading his way. They really move the ball as a team, while we play highway football. This issue is clearly visible, just look what options Casemiro has once he receives the ball deep. Ha basically NEEDS to go for a risky pass if he wants to pass it forward. This system makes him look much worse than he is. And is suicidal. Eriksen used to provide that short passing option, and he liked to play the short "angled" passes that helped to progress the game in safe way.
This is gone now with Bruno and Mount in new setup. How much that is because of the kind of players they are, or because they are actually following instructions - I am not sure.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This isn't the root cause of the issue though. No doubts Rodri is elite on the ball, but he gets multiple passing options once the ball is heading his way. They really move the ball as a team, while we play highway football. This issue is clearly visible, just look what options Casemiro has once he receives the ball deep. Ha basically NEEDS to go for a risky pass if he wants to pass it forward. This system makes him look much worse than he is. And is suicidal. Eriksen used to provide that short passing option, and he liked to play the short "angled" passes that helped to progress the game in safe way.
This is gone now with Bruno and Mount in new setup
. How much that is because of the kind of players they are, or because they are actually following instructions - I am not sure.
If you think this is a new problem you should really check out Casemiro’s pass completion % from last season. 79% average in 2022/23. 82% last night.

The United

Cas is very careless with his passing in general, and it should be very obvious to us by now. It does not excuse Bruno's carelessness at times. But it pointed out that our midfielders set-up is very weird, and ETH has not done much to fix it. If anything, it may get worse.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
If you think this is a new problem you should really check out Casemiro’s pass completion % from last season. 79% average in 2022/23. 82% last night.
I actually think his passing was quite alright yesterday. The point is, the "pass completion" stat is driven not only by pure ability but also playing style. Cleverley used to be north of 90% pass completion because he kept it safe. Casemiro is not asked to play safe, he is actually forced to take risk because that's the only way to progress the ball with the rest of the midfield playing so high.

Casemiro passing ability isn't the problem, we just make it difficult for him. This is why I disagreed with "carelessness of the players in midfield" comment in the first place.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I actually think his passing was quite alright yesterday. The point is, the "pass completion" stat is driven not only by pure ability but also playing style. Cleverley used to be north of 90% pass completion because he kept it safe. Casemiro is not asked to play safe, he is actually forced to take risk because that's the only way to progress the ball with the rest of the midfield playing so high.

Casemiro passing ability isn't the problem, we just make it difficult for him. This is why I disagreed with "carelessness of the players in midfield" comment in the first place.
I didn’t disagree with that idea. Just your implication that it’s got harder for him to complete passes now Mount is in the team. The stats don’t support that.

kundalini

I missed big chunk of the game yesterday because of poor transmission. From what I saw I can't figure out what he was supposed to be doing exactly. Casemiro and Mount roles are more or less clear to me, but what is Bruno responsibilities here? He seemed strangely out of the game (not involved much).
Fernandes' role was to supply the front three, attempt to win the ball back high up the pitch (6 successful tackles out of 11 attempts) and provide some defensive cover when Wolves had controlled possession in our half (still looks a big weakness in his game). Both he and Mount were positioned quite high for the vast majority of the match, much higher than Eriksen would typically play.

Bruno didn't create as much as you would expect, nor did he receive the ball as often as he would typically do in this type of match. United's set up of back 3, box 4, front 3 in possession, was rather cancelled out by Wolves blocking the central zone, so we spent ages passing between defenders and Onana, then eventually found Garnacho or Antony, but without any full-back support (Shaw tended to move inside), so Garnacho especially, continually lost possession.

There was a spell in the 2nd half in which Bruno attempted 3 crosses but each time it went straight to the Wolves keeper. Nice pass for Pellistri's difficult chance, good pass to Wan-Bissaka in the build-up to our goal, key pass for an Antony shot that was blocked and a Varane header wide from a corner. One left foot shot from very long distance that was blocked.

Last edited:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
People blaming Casemiro to absolve Bruno. Ffs. That’s absolutely laughable

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I didn’t disagree with that idea. Just your implication that it’s got harder for him to complete passes now Mount is in the team. The stats don’t support that.
Let's get back to this discussion after we play a few more challenging opponents. I think this is very simple that we're replacing Eriksen (who played more of a CM role) with Mount (why actually plays higher than Bruno), so we as a team need to make up for it. So far I've not seen it happening so I do think he'll be scoring lower on that metric. Time will tell, like I said his passing looked quite OK vs Wolves.

Fernandes' role was to supply the front three, attempt to win the ball back high up the pitch (6 successful tackles out of 11 attempts) and provide some defensive cover when Wolves had controlled possession in our half (still looks a big weakness in his game). Both he and Mount were positioned quite high for the vast majority of the match, much higher than Eriksen would typically play.

Bruno didn't create as much as you would expect, nor did he receive the ball as often as he would typically do in this type of match. United's set up of back 3, box 4, front 3 in possession, was rather cancelled out by Wolves blocking the central zone, so we spent ages passing between defenders and Onana, then eventually found Garnacho or Antony, but without any full-back support (Shaw tended to move inside), so Garnacho especially, continually lost possession.

There was a spell in the 2nd half in which Bruno attempted 3 crosses but each time it went straight to the Wolves keeper. Nice pass for Pellistri's difficult chance, good pass to Wan-Bissaka in the build-up to our goal, key pass for an Antony shot that was blocked and a Varane header wide from a corner. One left foot shot from very long distance that was blocked.
Didn't expect such a detailed description, many thanks. I missed some of this action but this does match what I saw in terms of positioning on the pitch. We play wingers high and wide but since they were not effective on that day (and fullbacks, especially Shaw, didn't provide much support to wingers), nothing worked for us in terms of offensive play (as Rashford was easily nullified by triple marking).
Bruno is actually getting shoved to deeper/wider position what I really don't like. I am happy to give it time but it looks miles off.

Gordon S

I watched every minute of the game, and i honestly have no clue what Mount is supposed to do and how it is going to improve the team. Feels like he is mostly buzzing around Bruno like an angry bee and more than anything takes Bruno somewhat out of the game. And also leaves Casemiro with challenges he can´t handle..
That can´t possible be the masterplan of our manager?

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Bruno's positioning was neither deeper nor wider (unless people want to imagine things to support a narrative). The plan was for the wingers to provide width by hugging the sidelines and create a side triangle with the FBs and the ACM's. You can't have your cake and eat it. Either Bruno was forced into a deeper role that doesn't suit him (which is a valid concern) or we couldn't progress the ball properly because the best ballers in the team were very high on the pitch. If you want to complain, pick one.

The funny thing is that, with AWB being who he is in possession, both the tactical set-up (which prioritized the creation of 3v2 situations for Garnacho to get in-behind) and the natural flow of the game forced us to focus on the left side of the pitch. Then Bruno, in typical Bruno fashion, because he wants to get on the ball and do his thing began moving to the left, probably going completely off script. Something that left Antony (who was horrendous anyway) 8/10 times completely alone waiting for someone to come near him for support on the right side, and it also left Mount in no man's land.

One of the times he operated like he was supposed to do, he set up the sequence that led to the goal.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Bruno's positioning was neither deeper nor wider (unless people want to imagine things to support a narrative). The plan was for the wingers to provide width by hugging the sidelines and create a side triangle with the FBs and the ACM's. You can't have your cake and eat it. Either Bruno was forced into a deeper role that doesn't suit him (which is a valid concern) or we couldn't progress the ball properly because the best ballers in the team were very high on the pitch. If you want to complain, pick one.

The funny thing is that, with AWB being who he is in possession, both the tactical set-up (which prioritized the creation of 3v2 situations for Garnacho to get in-behind) and the natural flow of the game forced us to focus on the left side of the pitch. Then Bruno, in typical Bruno fashion, because he wants to get on the ball and do his thing began moving to the left, probably going completely off script. Something that left Antony (who was horrendous anyway) 8/10 times completely alone waiting for someone to come near him for support on the right side, and it also left Mount in no man's land.

One of the times he operated like he was supposed to do, he set up the sequence that led to the goal.
I see what you're saying. From what I've seen (which is about 70% of the game in random moments), when we were in build up, there was a wall of Wolves players between Casemiro and forwards. Neither of Bruno/Mount really dropped deeper to progress the ball, and Wolves packed the midfield with bodies so there was no vertical passing angles (we play mostly vertical). That Wolves setup exposed the wings so both Garnacho&Antony had a lot of space and saw plenty of the ball, just couldn't do anything with it. I also thought Mount was more involved in those winger/fullback/AM triangles so not sure what Bruno was doing* - hence my question.

In defensive transition I thought Bruno was dropping deeper than Mount, who stayed high almost like a second striker. Occasionally Mount dropped deeper and I thought that was when he was most effective. I only remember Brune being dribbled past a few times, and then he produced the magnificent pass to Wan Bissaka.

*before Eriksen replaced Mount, because then we just switched to last season setup and looked more comfortable in build up, but still very vulnerable defensively - as expected.

This is quite interesting point.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I see what you're saying. From what I've seen (which is about 70% of the game in random moments), when we were in build up, there was a wall of Wolves players between Casemiro and forwards. Neither of Bruno/Mount really dropped deeper to progress the ball, and Wolves packed the midfield with bodies so there was no vertical passing angles (we play mostly vertical). That Wolves setup exposed the wings so both Garnacho&Antony had a lot of space and saw plenty of the ball, just couldn't do anything with it. I also thought Mount was more involved in those winger/fullback/AM triangles so not sure what Bruno was doing* - hence my question.

In defensive transition I thought Bruno was dropping deeper than Mount, who stayed high almost like a second striker. Occasionally Mount dropped deeper and I thought that was when he was most effective. I only remember Brune being dribbled past a few times, and then he produced the magnificent pass to Wan Bissaka.

*before Eriksen replaced Mount, because then we just switched to last season setup and looked more comfortable in build up, but still very vulnerable defensively - as expected.

This is quite interesting point.
That's correct, and thank God there are still a few people on this forum who are willing to think and not just react to whatever post they read on Twitter. Take the tweet that's doing the rounds since Monday night, the with Casemiro alone in the midfield, surrounded by Wolves players. It's supposed to describe a positional issue, but it's being disingenuous because that was the shape when the ball was wide. And it's not very different from what the other high pressing teams usually do. We suffer off the ball mainly because, when we press, not all players are in sync (which is a problem for the manager to solve) and because certain players go out of position to make a 30/70 or 40/60, at best, challenge which often results in them leaving huge gaps behind them (which i suspect is more of player issue).

It's true that Wolves identified AWB as the weak link in our build-up. The same thing happened in the friendlies against Lens and Bilbao, and i argued in the Maguire thread that this is the most worrying part, not Harry, who will spend most of the time either on the bench or in the stands. It was interesting how we used Onana's skills now that we have a keeper who can play an active role in the build-up. It didn't work like we hoped it would, but, at least, there were signs that we are well aware of the issue's existence. I'm saying this because the most "natural" choice for someone to come more centrally in support of Casemiro, if we are not going to sacrifice Mount/Bruno's advanced positions, is Shaw. He can pass the ball, he can carry it through the lines and he can also keep it under control. The problem is that your left-winger of choice (Garnacho in this one, but Rashford is of the same ilk as him) isn't particularly good in the first 2/3 of the pitch. And since he is your main attacking outlet, you need to provide him with support (that will be Shaw). AWB is out of the question, so we came up with a variation that had Martinez and AWB splitting the pitch (Onana the central link-player) and Varane moving up on the pitch to support Casemiro as a central midfielder and allow AWB to play on the overlap/underlap. In that context, Bruno (even with Eriksen on the pitch) was coming deeper occasionally because he can find the defence-splitting pass more often than everybody else. Don't forget, we are a team that lives and dies with balls played in-behind and into space.

It looked dysfunctional or, at the very best, undercooked, and the players looked rather uncomfortable too. You know what's the most hilarious thing about it? When all 10 outfield players managed to pull it off together, it led to the goal. I know it's a corner that starts the whole sequence, but the main principles are the same. When Sancho's cross is blocked, we are well-positioned but paper-thin, with both Bruno and Eriksen waiting to put the ball in the box with acres of space behind them. The defensive-minded Varane and Casemiro (often midfielders in our attacking shape) are in (or around the box) and they are instructed to remain there. For a reason... This goal would not have happened without these two applying (the right kind of) pressure on the first attacker. Eriksen wins the second ball (because winning second balls is about positioning, not physicality), Casemiro can't secure it, so he presses hard and Varane cuts off the easy option for the Wolves player. Notice that when we regain possession, Varane looks behind him, sees Eriksen and Bruno holding the high-line... and he charges in the box. By then, the positional rotations are done and they all attacking-minded. AWB has joined the fray on the right, Bruno has also switched sides, and Eriksen is at the base of a rhomboid shape while Antony is providing the width. It's the perfect 4v3, with everybody being where they should be and making the right choices.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Interesting stat from Monday night.

Bruno made 6 tackles. Next most was tied between Shaw, Casemiro and AWB (2) Only three other players that started made any tackles at all! (Garnacho, Martinez and Varane made one each)

Wolves had seven starting players that made two or more tackles (4 was the most that any one player made).

Make of that what you will…

Borys

Statistics Wizard
That's correct, and thank God there are still a few people on this forum who are willing to think and not just react to whatever post they read on Twitter. Take the tweet that's doing the rounds since Monday night, the with Casemiro alone in the midfield, surrounded by Wolves players. It's supposed to describe a positional issue, but it's being disingenuous because that was the shape when the ball was wide. And it's not very different from what the other high pressing teams usually do. We suffer off the ball mainly because, when we press, not all players are in sync (which is a problem for the manager to solve) and because certain players go out of position to make a 30/70 or 40/60, at best, challenge which often results in them leaving huge gaps behind them (which i suspect is more of player issue).
Spot on. Which is why currently Mount is running like a healdess chicken and didn't really trouble Wolves with his "pressing". This might change once the team is in sync. By the way the only time our "pressing" was effective was when we played Wout slightly deeper and close to Bruno.

It's true that Wolves identified AWB as the weak link in our build-up. The same thing happened in the friendlies against Lens and Bilbao, and i argued in the Maguire thread that this is the most worrying part, not Harry, who will spend most of the time either on the bench or in the stands. It was interesting how we used Onana's skills now that we have a keeper who can play an active role in the build-up. It didn't work like we hoped it would, but, at least, there were signs that we are well aware of the issue's existence. I'm saying this because the most "natural" choice for someone to come more centrally in support of Casemiro, if we are not going to sacrifice Mount/Bruno's advanced positions, is Shaw. He can pass the ball, he can carry it through the lines and he can also keep it under control. The problem is that your left-winger of choice (Garnacho in this one, but Rashford is of the same ilk as him) isn't particularly good in the first 2/3 of the pitch. And since he is your main attacking outlet, you need to provide him with support (that will be Shaw). AWB is out of the question, so we came up with a variation that had Martinez and AWB splitting the pitch (Onana the central link-player) and Varane moving up on the pitch to support Casemiro as a central midfielder and allow AWB to play on the overlap/underlap. In that context, Bruno (even with Eriksen on the pitch) was coming deeper occasionally because he can find the defence-splitting pass more often than everybody else. Don't forget, we are a team that lives and dies with balls played in-behind and into space.
That is actually a huge issue which is not picked up often. Rashford and Garnacho offer very little (if anything) in the buildup AND defensively. That leaves Shaw with an awful lot to do, and now we want him to join Casemiro in midfield... I don't see it. Feels like we're either exposing left wing (when Shaw tucks in) or leaving Casemiro on his own in midfield.

It looked dysfunctional or, at the very best, undercooked, and the players looked rather uncomfortable too. You know what's the most hilarious thing about it? When all 10 outfield players managed to pull it off together, it led to the goal. I know it's a corner that starts the whole sequence, but the main principles are the same. When Sancho's cross is blocked, we are well-positioned but paper-thin, with both Bruno and Eriksen waiting to put the ball in the box with acres of space behind them. The defensive-minded Varane and Casemiro (often midfielders in our attacking shape) are in (or around the box) and they are instructed to remain there. For a reason... This goal would not have happened without these two applying (the right kind of) pressure on the first attacker. Eriksen wins the second ball (because winning second balls is about positioning, not physicality), Casemiro can't secure it, so he presses hard and Varane cuts off the easy option for the Wolves player. Notice that when we regain possession, Varane looks behind him, sees Eriksen and Bruno holding the high-line... and he charges in the box. By then, the positional rotations are done and they all attacking-minded. AWB has joined the fray on the right, Bruno has also switched sides, and Eriksen is at the base of a rhomboid shape while Antony is providing the width. It's the perfect 4v3, with everybody being where they should be and making the right choices.
Well I don't know about that. It sounds (and looks) like we're just pushing players forward. Just because it worked once I don't think that proves anything. We literally attacked with Wan Bissaka, Casemiro and Varane - so 3 out of 5 defensive players were in the 6 yard box!

I think in the second half we just pushed bodies forward (switched to "offensive") but didn't change anything in the tactics - until Eriksen joined. I am certain if Mount was still on the pitch he would have been another player in the box. That idea makes little sense to me and is super naive if Ten Hag does it by design.

Idxomer

Interesting stat from Monday night.

Bruno made 6 tackles. Next most was tied between Shaw, Casemiro and AWB (2) Only three other players that started made any tackles at all! (Garnacho, Martinez and Varane made one each)

Wolves had seven starting players that made two or more tackles (4 was the most that any one player made).

Make of that what you will…
According to fbref, we won more tackles than Wolves. The problem seems that we lost 22 challenges when Wolves dribbled with the ball, Casemiro and Bruno with 9 challenges lost between them. Wolves had by far the most dribbles in the first week of the PL.

MDFC Manager

That was so shite, again. But hey, it's alright, he'll create one or two moments in a game.

Based Adnan

We will never win the league with him as a starter

The epitome of individual hit and hope football

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
That Antony yellow card situation in the first half just summed it up for me. Hot-headed moaning and whingeing at the ref to make a situation out of nothing and rile up the home crowd.

That period of play where they hit the woodwork twice came right after that.

Idxomer

He lost it after the missed header.

He's nothing more than a passion and long-ball merchant.

Finishing, short passing, link-up play, dribbling and physicality are all terrible.

Robbie Boy

I really wish he was half the player that some on here build him up to be. He's so fecking frustrating.

Ceteris

And the armband has emboldened his shite decision making.

He seriously lacks accountability individually and now as a captain

Rockets Redglare

Basically our two most effective attacking outlets in Bruno and Rashford do nothing for 90% of the game and come up with a bit of magic.
You can’t build a team around that.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Terrible. He isn’t the answer to any question at United

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
That was so shite, again. But hey, it's alright, he'll create one or two moments in a game.
Even better his fanboys will be in shortly to tell us how many tackles he won and how it’s casimeros fault…then when he puts in his pro-rata 1 good game in 10 we will be told how he’s having a great season.

Abysmal as usual. His good games few and far between since his first six months. I’ve forgotten how the world was back then. Face masks etc but Bruno’s still living off that time.
Missing that fecking header cost us as much as his shite performance did.

Lentwood

We need to start punishing players for unacceptable errors.

Work rate and commitment is not enough. If I lost a big deal at work or messed up an estimate, there'd be repercussions. If a teacher or a doctor or a police officer make a mistake, there's repercussions.

I'm all for "everybody makes mistakes" but there's "mistakes" and then there is absolutely totally unacceptable and on a technical level, that miss falls into that category.

You CANNOT miss that. Haaland scores that 100/100 and City win. Salah scores that 100/100 and Liverpool win. Ollie Watkins, Ivan Toney, Callum Wilson...all score that 100% of the time. Shocking miss and changed the game.

MDFC Manager

Even better his fanboys will be in shortly to tell us how many tackles he won and how it’s casimeros fault…then when he puts in his pro-rata 1 good game in ten we will be told how he’s having a great season.

Abysmal as usual. His good games few and far between since his first six months. I’ve forgotten how the world was back then. Face masks etc but Bruno’s still living off that time.
Spot on.

Oh by the way, no prizes for guessing who completely missed Sarr ghost past into our box for their first goal...

RuudtheRed

He was disastrous in the 2nd half. Just about every ball he received, he tried to send a hollywood ball over the top for Rashford and gave it away repeatedly. He is capable of so much more though.