2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

FerociousCorgis

Clearly he is the answer as when him and rashford came on they changed the nature of the game and really propelled this team forward.

Oh wait.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
In the time Bruno's been at United, basically every time he's dropped out of the team its made us worse. Tonight was another example.

The people who've convinced themselves that this squad will be better without Bruno are on something strong.
This has never really been the point.

It’s never been about ‘this’ squad being better without Bruno. It’s always been about ‘a’ squad (or ‘team’) that is better than the one we have, and have had for years, should be built without him.

How isolated results of the same team, constructed on the same principles we have a problem with, apparently invalidate that theory is totally bemusing. Put simply, ‘this’ squad/team would always be better with Bruno in it. The issue is that the ‘better’ will never be good enough. A team that can’t control possession and relies upon moments and transitions OBVIOUSLY does not become ‘better’ by removing its player who produces the most moments. However, a team that does NOT rely upon moments, but controls possession and sustains attacks does not have Bruno in it. Right now, that team is not us. So removing Bruno from THIS team obviously does not ‘improve’ it ffs.

In the same way that taking a target man out of a classic Stoke side doesn’t make that team better placed to win games and titles. To do so, they would need to build a different sort of team. Our point is, that team will not be possible so long as they insist that Peter Crouch should be the centre forward. What they would need to do is to go in a different direction, and one of the key steps of that would be getting rid of Crouch. Even if he happened to be their top scorer. It doesn’t matter. His top scoring isn’t ever going to be enough to win them anything, so if they want to do that, they are better off finding a new route to get their goals.

Marwood

Clearly he is the answer as when him and rashford came on they changed the nature of the game and really propelled this team forward.

Oh wait.
But here's your problem.

Absolutely nobody has said Bruno is the answer.

Where as Bruno being THE problem has had one or two mentions here.

Marwood

And with him.

You have, I’m sure, read over and over and over again by the ‘utter morons’ that the demand isn’t simply for Bruno to be swapped for a different player.
Rozay stick by your guns. Don't walk it back now.

You and the others have very much argued that Bruno alone is shaping the way we play in games.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Rozay stick by your guns. Don't walk it back now.

You and the others have very much argued that Bruno alone is shaping the way we play in games.
No I haven’t.

And I’ve stuck to my guns on this topic more than any poster for the last 4 years, in the face of a lot of criticism, so I’m pretty sure I know what my position is. I’ve never said we should simply drop Bruno and play another player. The point has always been that we shouldn’t be a ‘Bruno-ball’ team, as it will never be good enough. The team that we need to be does not have Bruno in it. I’ve been clear and consistent on that. A number of steps are needed to become the team we need to be, more point is that those steps will be futile so long as Bruno is in the team.

That isn’t the same as saying that we simply become that team once Bruno is put on the bench. What we need is a totally new blueprint. The first step towards that should be getting rid of Bruno. It won’t be possible to cling on to him and try and shoehorn him into Barcelona, for example, so if you want to ‘become Barcelona’ - then first thing is get rid of him. You don’t just drop him for a less good version of himself and expect to become Barcelona.

Posters who have been carrying this fight to me far longer than you have will tell you that I have ALWAYS maintained that Bruno was the player we needed at the time when we couldn’t score any goals and needed to get into the CL, however, he is not the player for us when we want to take the next step. If you cannot look beyond maybe winning tonight’s match, then sure, Bruno should have started, because you never know in football, he could produce an outrageous pass, or score a penalty and we scrape past. If you are looking beyond that, and the objective is to compete with the best, then don’t prolong the inevitable - get rid as soon as possible so that you can actually start the work of heading in the direction you need to go in.

Last edited:

FerociousCorgis

But here's your problem.

Meh if that's the case obviously we have so many problems who the feck knows what's what. This club needs to be burned to the ground and rebuilt at this point

Based Adnan

But here's your problem.

Can you provide one quote from anyone that says Bruno is the only problem the club has?

abraz79

Supports
Sporting CP
Bruno is an intelligent player. He will change his gameplay accordingly with the team. If you think he can be chaotic or that he's always trying the hollywood pass, that's because that's the only way he can play with the way the team plays and with the skill and teamplay of his mates. I saw him playing from Sporting and for Portugal, so I know he can adjust to what the teams needs. But he can't change alone.

Marwood

Can you provide one quote from anyone that says Bruno is the only problem the club has?
Sure. I can provide you plenty saying Bruno's presence dictates the entire way we play as a team. Which they go on to say is the problem. Check out the poster who's here most. It's every post. Rozay started an entire thread highlighting Bruno as the problem.

Penny will drop eventually. Our problems are far and wide. No one player can make or break a team.

And I wanted Bruno dropped tonight. Was the correct decision.

Based Adnan

Sure. I can provide you plenty saying Bruno's presence dictates the entire way we play as a team. Which they go on to say is the problem. Check out the poster who's here most. It's every post. Rozay started an entire thread highlighting Bruno as the problem.

Penny will drop eventually. Our problems are far and wide. No one player can make or break a team.

The problem or a problem? There's a difference

Marwood

The problem or a problem? There's a difference
You can't read this thread and think this handful of posters are saying Bruno is just A problem. In the same way that Antony, Rashford etc are A problem.

They truly think his influence on the team is much bigger than just being one of the thousand problems we have. Have a read.

NZT-One

You can't read this thread and think this handful of posters are saying Bruno is just A problem. In the same way that Antony, Rashford etc are A problem.

They truly think his influence on the team is much bigger than just being one of the thousand problems we have. Have a read.
So you know better what they think than at least one poster who literally told you, that this is not his position. Lets face it - you are just as stuck in your position as other posters are on theirs. It is funny to a degree but each to their own.

Suedesi

He's going through a rough patch, and is clearly a confidence player, but I wouldn't look too much into today's performance.

NZT-One

In the time Bruno's been at United, basically every time he's dropped out of the team its made us worse. Tonight was another example.

The people who've convinced themselves that this squad will be better without Bruno are on something strong.
Yeah we were sooooo much worse today than in pretty much all the other games where he played. Great point, well delivered. You should be proud of yourself ^^

Genuine question: you think, he would have done better today than say Mejbri? If yes, why?

Bruno is an intelligent player. He will change his gameplay accordingly with the team. If you think he can be chaotic or that he's always trying the hollywood pass, that's because that's the only way he can play with the way the team plays and with the skill and teamplay of his mates. I saw him playing from Sporting and for Portugal, so I know he can adjust to what the teams needs. But he can't change alone.
Yeah nah... I'd agree with you that Bruno is capable of adapting but he certainly flourishes in setups where he can make use of his greatest strength, vision, instinct and fast and precise execution. That being said - the things he mostly gets criticized for: giving too many balls away, losing them too easily in dangerous areas - those are problematic in any kind of system.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
So you know better what they think than at least one poster who literally told you, that this is not his position. Lets face it - you are just as stuck in your position as other posters are on theirs. It is funny to a degree but each to their own.
This is how it works around here. You can go into as much detail as you want to clarify your position then someone will come along with some sort of ‘so you’re saying we win the treble if we don’t play Bruno’ and then on and on we go.

This particular discussion is such a stupid one in any case, as to assume some sort of vindication because we lost a game tonight that Bruno didn’t start is ridiculous. Barcelona have lost games that Messi DID start. It doesn’t prove anything about his standing in their team. Mentioning my thread as if my entire premise about us being unable to win the league with Bruno in the team is now debunked by the fact that we were losing a match he didn’t start.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Instead of talking nonsense, why did you not just respond to the clarification I posted directly to you above? Or do you find my post to be a lie based on all my posts on this topic? Or is it simply that you prefer to argue against your own version of the truth so have chosen to disregard it?

You seem to have deliberately chosen to adopt the position that ‘Bruno is the problem’ os exclusively on relation to our ability to win our next football match, while mine has been in relation to our ability to win/challenge for our next title. Within the context of this season, I couldn’t have cared less whether Bruno started last night at all. My problem is with us starting the season, with a plan to achieve our objectives being centred around a team that allows Bruno to excel at what he does best. I can confidently say, in August, that that plan will fall short come May. That has no bearing at all as to whether or not Bruno would make a difference on any given Saturday (or Wednesday, in this case).

Last edited:

Lyng

I think you are seeing things that aren't there. A lot of us feel Brunos general play doesn't fit a possession based system and his erratic style influences us badly. But you will find the same posters in other threads. Antony is an even bigger problem.
Amrabat isn't good enough. Maguire is still to ponderous on the ball. Dalot has issues.
Our overall playstyle is way to erratic.
Bruno is a problem but far from the only one.

abraz79

Supports
Sporting CP
Yeah nah... I'd agree with you that Bruno is capable of adapting but he certainly flourishes in setups where he can make use of his greatest strength, vision, instinct and fast and precise execution. That being said - the things he mostly gets criticized for: giving too many balls away, losing them too easily in dangerous areas - those are problematic in any kind of system.
My point is that in better systems, Bruno won't have to play in a manner that make him give the ball away too easily (although I don't think he gives it away easier than the other team mates). I seriously doubt that he unlearned to play when he joined Man Utd. Or that his displays for Portugal are flukes.

NZT-One

My point is that in better systems, Bruno won't have to play in a manner that make him give the ball away too easily (although I don't think he gives it away easier than the other team mates). I seriously doubt that he unlearned to play when he joined Man Utd. Or that his displays for Portugal are flukes.
Don't think, that fecking up short passes when under pressure should be put on "the system" or his "team mates". There is no system that makes pressure disappear completely. Again, I'll happily admit, that Bruno is not a bad player per se and he for sure isn't as bad as some posters in here are making him. But on the other hand he is not even half as good as most of the other posters in here claim. There might be environments, where he can be more of a working part of the machine. At United, the machine isn't running. Not because of him alone, but his up there in the Top 10. He would be a superstar 10-15 years ago, these days, he still delivers stats very well but actually with a limited skillset compared to other players who play in his position.

Sylar

Its the case that we are better with him than without him right now.
but thats not to say we could be better without him if we had the right players to play a possession style game, which I dont think Bruno would benefit from. He likes to go 'hollywood' style as much as he can. There are positions where we have been winning going into the end of the game, and instead of being smart with the ball, hes trying to find an impossible option thinking getting another goal would be better than trying to keep the ball and tire out the opposition.

Until we get in players in the middle for a certain style, we have a mishmash of different style players which results in being 'direct' as possible which is annoying.

FriedClams

Brunos goals/assists contribution always gets used to try and show that he's a quality player. 41% of those goals are penalties, and I don't know the percentage but a lot of the assists are from dead balls. His goal contributions look a lot better merely by being a designated set piece taker.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Total dogshit for 90 minutes. Wins the game in the 91st.

Quintessential Brunocore. :drool:

Idxomer

One moment of brilliance in a sea of shit.

Classic Bruno and exactly why he needs to go.

TsuWave

Absolute bum, but important goal. Can't wait til we move on from this guy.

twitter thread suggester
Please leave apologies below this line
What!? He was absolutely crap!
Had we had a proper player on instead of him then we wouldn’t have needed a last minute winner.
He ruined all attacks during the 90

The United

Funny that Bruno was getting accused of keeping Ole the job longer when on form and being accused of down-tooled when off form.

Acquire Me

Had a bad game. Can do so much better. But he saved the day with a well taken goal. Hope his form will improve after this.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Until we are a good football team, we need any players who can help put the ball in the net. It doesn’t matter the fashion, or the performance. That is Bruno. As long as we remain a team trying to scrap for a top 4 or 5 finish, we absolutely need him and he will remain one of our most important players. Today showed why, again.

Dominos

He's meant to be our best player and he can't complete a 10 yard pass. Ruins every promising attack we have. I'm not forgetting it all because he scored, absolute dogshit performance.

philippexyz

Classic Bruno game. Looks good in the stats because he scored, but he was awful for the rest of the game. Gave away possession countless times, like he usually does.