Bruno Fernandes | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcelinho87

My question is if we really proposed a Balon D'or clause, we must think the player is capable of winning it, yet we wont spend the money we feel is required for a future Balon D'or winner
No, we are trying to include clauses we know won't ever be achieved, hoping Sporting are stupid.

RUCK4444

The feck is this. The man is a club legend.
Besides, almost every manager out there will parrot what he has been asked to say to press. That is how clubs work.
It is naive to believe everything manager says or get worked up about it.

You seriously didn't believe "There was no value in the market" when SAF kept saying that. Right?
It’s a disgrace how ‘fans’ here treat Ole.

Totally agree that they are hugely naive regarding what managers say to the press.

It’s the same as the summer when Ole didn’t complain after losing Lukaku and not signing a replacement.

People literally take every word they say to the press as gospel, knowing that the slightest negative thing a United manager can say will be twisted by the press.

I’d bet that almost nothing that is said between Ole and Ed is repeated to the press in interviews.

Ballist1x

On the one hand we want 25m for a 29/30 year old Smalling who we loaned out.

On the other we wint pay 50m for Bruno Fernandes???
The other side of that, is if Sporting are unwilling to agree to a Balon D'Or winning clause, how to they justify charging a Balon D'Or winning fee?
They arent. They are asking for Fred money not Felix...

elánius

It’s a disgrace how ‘fans’ here treat Ole.

It’s the same as the summer when Ole didn’t complain after losing Lukaku and not signing a replacement.
Olé literally said that he was happy to let him go, so I have absolutly no idea what you are talking about and he left last day of english trasnfer window, so if he thought he will get someone as a replacement, he wouldnt be very smart but that probably didnt happen. He just (inconceivably) wasnt able to use him and with no experience at top level he just let him go without replacement and now it came back for him.
And being a legend as a player doesnt mean you have guilt free pass as a manager.

To stick with the topic, I would not buy anyone this transfer window, because this is his squad and he should prove himself with it. On the other hand, Bruno looks like a good football player and Spurs also wanted him in the summer (a.k.a Poche probably wanted him as well), so maybe we should do it anyway as a first signing for our future manager. :-)

theklr

Olé literally said that he was happy to let him go, so I have absolutly no idea what you are talking about and he left last day of english trasnfer window, so if he thought he will get someone as a replacement, he wouldnt be very smart but that probably didnt happen. He just (inconceivably) wasnt able to use him and with no experience at top level he just let him go without replacement and now it came back for him.
And being a legend as a player doesnt mean you have guilt free pass as a manager.

To stick with the topic, I would not buy anyone this transfer window, because this is his squad and he should prove himself with it. On the other hand, Bruno looks like a good football player and Spurs also wanted him in the summer (a.k.a Poche probably wanted him as well), so maybe we should do it anyway as a first signing for our future manager. :-)
It’s his squad ? He had one transfer window and he said he wanted a replacement for Lukaku but didnt get it.

He is to blaim for not getting a midfielder, but come on.

I agree he should have done better with the squad he has though.

Odin

"... because this is his squad and he should prove himself with it." What? He said many a time that this squad needs strengthening, acknowledging we are in the middle of a rebuild. Now you say he should be left with this half built squad? The fact transfers took so long last summer, that's all on Ole?

Dan_F

The other side of that, is if Sporting are unwilling to agree to a Balon D'Or winning clause, how to they justify charging a Balon D'Or winning fee?
You think £55 million is a Balon D’Or winning fee? Ronaldo cost far more 10 years ago. Look at fees for Neymar, Coutinho, Joao Felix etc.

Denis' cuff

they still don’t get it do they? Managers don’t have much of a say under the current regime. Ok? Just look at the sequence of events. It doesn’t take a genius to see what’s going on yet idiots are still blaming managers.

Good God pal, of course he was happy to let him go because like managers before him, thought he was getting a replacement.m the player gave numerous signals that he didn’t want to be here, including not being available for a cup final because the WC was imminent. Ole probably told EW that he didn’t figure in his plans. The rest is out of Ole’s hands. EW saw the dollar signs and cynically left it right until the end of the window before he agreed terms to sell him, thus enabling him to say there was no time for a replacement. Ole, like Jose before him, was given lip service from the senior management and left high and dry yet again without a replacement. They have almost no say in dealings now, hence Jose saying “I am not a manager here, just a coach”.

Christ, you could write a book... some of the people on here will be blaming the ball boys next

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Let’s face it this hadn’t really looked likely for well over a week, it’s been sheer muppet stubbornness to keep it going.
Why not? If it was off we would have briefed the media like we did on De Ligt.

GoldanoGraham

I’m just staggered by how incompetent we appear to be in the transfer market......

We are desperate for an attacking midfielder and backup striker yet we are going to neglect this in this window and maybe get some half-arsed player in at the death if we are lucky.

We will be told we are waiting for the summer but as all players will be with their national teams most of the summer because of the Euros it is going to be very difficult and time constrained - also the fact that we need at least a month to haggle at the price to get even one deal over the line, plus we are going to spend most of the time haggling over Pogba’s selling price - the future is not looking good.

I can only hope that we are not spending anything now is that the Glazers are in the throws of selling up and hopefully their lapdog Ed goes with them. In any other business he would be close to going because the actual business of football is being managed so poorly - it beggars belief that with all of the commercial and scouting staff we have on the payroll - and it must be a significant cost - we don’t seem to be able to do anything to help the team.....I hear that commercially we are doing well but we have basically waved the white flag to the top 4 and CL by doing nothing in this window......

We have become a laughing stock - it’s just amazing how far and how quickly we have fallen.....

Reactions: Sultan

elánius

It’s his squad ? He had one transfer window and he said he wanted a replacement for Lukaku but didnt get it.

He is to blaim for not getting a midfielder, but come on.

I agree he should have done better with the squad he has though.
Yeah, it is his squad. He is in his third trasnfer widnow, he let go many players without replacements (actually seven senior players left under his watch), because he wants to play with young guys, right? He is to blame that he let go Fellaini without replacement, he knew that Herrera is going to leave and what player did he wanted to bring? Maddison? Well he plays totally different role and only reason we didnt bring anyone was that he was going to play with McTominay (who is not premier league level at all) or Pereira. He said that we didnt find a midfielder for the right value. What does it really means?

"... because this is his squad and he should prove himself with it." What? He said many a time that this squad needs strengthening, acknowledging we are in the middle of a rebuild. Now you say he should be left with this half built squad? The fact transfers took so long last summer, that's all on Ole?
He said it in the summer or is he saying that now, because his results are the worst we ever achieved in the history of Premier League? This squad is not perfect, even though he made some choices that actually make it much worse than it used to be, but what rebuild is he actually doing? What system are we playing? Because if we dont have any system, how can you possibly know what players will make you better? He brought two defenders for 130 mil. pounds and no one can say that our defence is better. I think there is difference between rebuild and destruction.
And why is rellevant that transfers took "so long" if they eventually came? Btw James and AWB bothcame in June and AWB
they still don’t get it do they? Managers don’t have much of a say under the current regime. Ok? Just look at the sequence of events. It doesn’t take a genius to see what’s going on yet idiots are still blaming managers.

Good God pal, of course he was happy to let him go because like managers before him, thought he was getting a replacement.m the player gave numerous signals that he didn’t want to be here, including not being available for a cup final because the WC was imminent. Ole probably told EW that he didn’t figure in his plans. The rest is out of Ole’s hands. EW saw the dollar signs and cynically left it right until the end of the window before he agreed terms to sell him, thus enabling him to say there was no time for a replacement. Ole, like Jose before him, was given lip service from the senior management and left high and dry yet again without a replacement. They have almost no say in dealings now, hence Jose saying “I am not a manager here, just a coach”.

Christ, you could write a book... some of the people on here will be blaming the ball boys next
I have no idea what you are trying to say. On one hand you are saying that managers doesnt matter but Ole thinks something differen via:

“I’ll always have the final say on transfers,” the manager said. “No one comes in the door without me saying yes. It has to be that way, even though signing players is a process involving other members of staff. I don’t really speak to agents, because I have nothing to do with the money side of it, but the final decision on who becomes a Manchester United player will be mine.”
On the other hand you agree that he let Lukaku go, but he left LAST DAY OF THE TRASNFER WINDOW. There was absolutly no chance we were getting replacement for him. Pogba didnt want to be here either, but we kept him, because we needed him and same goes for Lukaku. We dont have striker and it is all Olés fault.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan

theklr

Yeah, it is his squad. He is in his third trasnfer widnow, he let go many players without replacements (actually seven senior players left under his watch), because he wants to play with young guys, right? He is to blame that he let go Fellaini without replacement, he knew that Herrera is going to leave and what player did he wanted to bring? Maddison? Well he plays totally different role and only reason we didnt bring anyone was that he was going to play with McTominay (who is not premier league level at all) or Pereira. He said that we didnt find a midfielder for the right value. What does it really means?

On the other hand you agree that he let Lukaku go, but he left LAST DAY OF THE TRASNFER WINDOW. There was absolutly no chance we were getting replacement for him. Pogba didnt want to be here either, but we kept him, because we needed him and same goes for Lukaku. We dont have striker and it is all Olés fault.
Its not his third transfer window, he wasnt permanent manager last January and had absolutely no say in what the club should or should not do then.

Yes, Fellaini he let go, not our biggest loss, but as I said in his previous post, he should have gotten at least one midfielder in the summer. Herrera he wanted to keep but that was mainly down to Ed not starting negotiations with the player earlier and PSG offering him insane amount of money even by our standards.

As I said, he wanted an replacement for Lukaku but didnt get it. That is either down to the money or our faulty recruitment or a combination. Lukaku wanted out which everyone could see, and there is no point keeping players against their will.
You mention Pogba - but we didnt even get any serious bid for him. I am sure if Real had come with any 100m + bid for him we would seriously consider it or at least started negotiations. You cant let players go for pennies. We got good money for Lukaku. Again, it is down to our faulty negotiations that they didnt conclude an agreement until the very last day.

I am not absolving him of any faults, but that he has the majority of the blaim I disagree with.
But again, I agree with that he should have signed a midfielder instead of Maguire.

romufc

Roy Keane signed for UTD under these exact circumstances. Was tapped up by Dalglish and Blackburn for months and was contacted by Fergie the weekend before he was to sign the deal on Monday.

The opposite happened with Gazza agreeing to sign for Man Utd then switching at the last minute.

Tapping up might get you a head start but things can change dramatically and quickly if a better offer appears. If Man Utd were interested in VVD, Liverpool’s tapping up is no excuse for a lack of deal.
Fergie.. there you have it. I am not giving an excuse for not signing him. In reality, we didn't really go in for him. It is the same interest we have in every player. Liverpool actually wanted him, United didnt.

Crashoutcassius

The last 18 months recruitment decisions have been a disgrace leaving us as light in quality as we have ever been, if this fella can be the poster boy for that and increase pressure to bring in expertise high up in the club then I'll get behind it

Seeing all the 11year old kids with fernandes as their picture on twitter the last 6 months, calling him Bruno, has been cringy but as I said I can live with it if it pushes change

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Think it's fair to say if we don't see anything agreed by Thursday it won't happen.

Denis' cuff

He said it in the summer or is he saying that now, because his results are the worst we ever achieved in the history of Premier League? This squad is not perfect, even though he made some choices that actually make it much worse than it used to be, but what rebuild is he actually doing? What system are we playing? Because if we dont have any system, how can you possibly know what players will make you better? He brought two defenders for 130 mil. pounds and no one can say that our defence is better. I think there is difference between rebuild and destruction.
And why is rellevant that transfers took "so long" if they eventually came? Btw James and AWB bothcame in June and AWB

I have no idea what you are trying to say. On one hand you are saying that managers doesnt matter but Ole thinks something differen via:

well, nothing is ever going to be cast iron proven but it is clear, like any lower/mid management, he does what he is told and has to cop it and be the face in front of camera. Fergie made some silly decisions in hindsight so, really, if you don’t allow Ole the occasional moment of misjudgment like all managers have, you aren’t being realistic. Of course he is a yes man, and a stooge and that is what he gets paid for. You probably complained when Jose refused to be a yes man and exposed the management and Pogba. Ole sucks it up like Fergie did and was laughing all the way to the bank. It’s not easy with all these elements working against you but such is the rapidly changing face of the game. If you actually expect success under this regime, well, you’re in for a lot of disappointment, whoever the manager is. Clubs like Villa, Wolves, Newcastle etc have always had a big solid fan base and resulting clout, but it’s pretty hopeless if the owners/ceo are running football matters. Looks like it’s our turn and in hindsight, even the Edwards family, if not ideal, were a sight better than most. A bad board/ownership will always hamper a club no matter how big or who the manager is. Even in their privileged position of scooping most of the tv revenue, even Madrid and Barca have had long, lean periods, despite meagre opposition. it’s only relativ recent that Barca won their 1st CL title ffs.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
We've been taken for a ride again by Ed & Matt.

Bondi77

You think £55 million is a Balon D’Or winning fee? Ronaldo cost far more 10 years ago. Look at fees for Neymar, Coutinho, Joao Felix etc.
Look at the fees for Salah, Mane and Firmino. Not one of them was more than 35mil and Liverpool are a huge club and yet they were not ripped off.
Salah and Mane should be candidates for the Ballon.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Salah wasn't that good lately - it was Mane who was carrying the team up front.
In fact our trio of Martial. Marcus and Mason scored more goals than the three Liverpool forwards.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Yeah, and who decide what we need? Not Ole apparantly.
Rest assured that Ole will be smiling irrespective of what happens. He will probably be smiling his way out of the club P45 in hand. It's all about culture

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Look at the fees for Salah, Mane and Firmino. Not one of them was more than 35mil and Liverpool are a huge club and yet they were not ripped off.
Salah and Mane should be candidates for the Ballon.
55m is the new 35m these days

Status
Not open for further replies.