Bruno Fernandes signs a new contract until 2026+1

Water Melon

I wonder if he can be re-trained to fit in ETH's tactics. He is too wasteful, likes Hollywood passes which are not usually, not really strong physically on and a real moaner. If Erik is able to transform Bruno, I would be over the moon.

Kaushal

It's called coaching. ETH will coach him and give him instruction to make it clear of his role and tasks. He'll be fine. He has the technique, work rate, and end product. With coaching and instruction, he will be more effective.
Whilst u do agree with you on his technique, work rate and end product but you shouldn’t need coaching to do some basic stuff and you shouldn’t need coaching to know that you give the ball away million times in a match, conceding possession and inviting pressure. It feels like he can’t play any other way than this. Whenever few times he tries he gets all itchy to do this hollywood stuff again and again. Not even once since he arrived he has shown any maturity or composure or understanding of his own game.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Bad season but one of the players I’m least worried about going into next season. He’s creative, hard-worker and always available. Under the right guidance he’ll be a class player.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You still have to wait and hope to see how he adapts to a more possession oriented team but it's natural for people to be worried because he's always been "loose" with his play regardless of whether he was banging on goals/assists or not. There's an inaccuracy and lack of precision to his game, that you don't often see with top players, and I really really hope for our sake that he can address otherwise he'll be another expensive problem for us, which then hurst the implementation of the managers vision if he has to put up with an unsuitable player.

I think he has to be told to keep it MUCH simpler than he does and a bit of strictness with respect to turnovers. The whole sentiment of "he's a risk taker, we lack those" was rubbish and if that was also echoed by our prior management, it wouldn't have helped Bruno's own development.

reddevilz007

Yeah he started the season really bad. Also in a team that was pulling up trees
He ended last season badly, started this season badly, continued the season badly and ended badly.
In any jobs, any employers, this would never deserve an extension or a raise. Except us.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
How are people blaming Fernandes. He absolutely carried us to second. He's not the problem. And under a great manager we might just see that again. His stats even for THIS season are still pretty good, especially considering the shower of shit we have at full back and on the wings.
How ? From January last season we/he played 22 league games. He scored 3 non penalty goals in 22 games, 2 in games we drew and one in a game we lost. He got 4 assists in those 22 games….2 of them in a 9-0 win. Penalties scored…ok but if he carried us a lot of those pens were won at times when we really needed something and were won with great pieces of play or skill by other players, not Bruno. He didn’t win any of them.

So statistically he didn’t….don’t get me started on his actual performances….How the feck did he absolutely carry us to second? On what basis can you justify that?

Woodzy

I vaguely remember Solksjaer coming out and saying something like he doesn’t mind Bruno trying these crazy passes because every now and then they would come off.

Terrible management tbh. Scholes and Rooney could play passes like that all day and 9/10 they would come off. Bruno is more of a hit and hope and it usually results in a loss of possession.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I wonder if he can be re-trained to fit in ETH's tactics. He is too wasteful, likes Hollywood passes which are not usually, not really strong physically on and a real moaner. If Erik is able to transform Bruno, I would be over the moon.
I highly doubt it, either Bruno will become a very very safe and tame player in his passing or he won't change. We're talking the ability to make good decisions in split seconds for a player of his age who is supposed to be at the peak of his powers. Bruno won't magically turn into the kinda player we all hope for him to be. Best thing he could do is be more productive next season but his passing will still be crazy IMHO

Mainoldo

He's simply going to have to change the way he plays the game to survive under Ten Hag, if he doesn't, he can go.
He’s played this way all his life. At 28 he’s not going to change. Bruno without the Hollywood is rubbish.

Telsim

5 years on his contract and about to be replaced by VdB next season. Another brilliant piece of business.

Mainoldo

5 years on his contract and about to be replaced by VdB next season. Another brilliant piece of business.
Asset depreciation and all that. I wonder if the asset value goes up the more wages you give a player.

GazTheLegend

@Jeppers7 by watching our games? But if you want raw data: https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_created

One less big chance created than Kevin de Bruyne this season. It blows my mind how quick people are to turn on the few world class footballers we have on the basis of a rotten performance. Bigger picture:. Bruno is utter class, we are lucky to have him and without him we would be far, far worse.

I swear half you c-nuts have never played football before given how overly critical you are. A risk taker like Bruno is gonna give the ball away sometimes. Better that than endless cleverly style sideways passes.
Or would you prefer we go back to fecking Lingard.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
@Jeppers7 by watching our games? But if you want raw data: https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_created

One less big chance created than Kevin de Bruyne this season. It blows my mind how quick people are to turn on the few world class footballers we have on the basis of a rotten performance. Bigger picture:. Bruno is utter class, we are lucky to have him and without him we would be far, far worse.

I swear half you c-nuts have never played football before given how overly critical you are. A risk taker like Bruno is gonna give the ball away sometimes. Better that than endless cleverly style sideways passes.
Football divides opinion, and Bruno Fernandes’ status as a ‘world class’ or ‘utter class’ footballer is subjective. And not everyone who does not rate Bruno has ‘turned on him’ a week ago either.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Whilst u do agree with you on his technique, work rate and end product but you shouldn’t need coaching to do some basic stuff and you shouldn’t need coaching to know that you give the ball away million times in a match, conceding possession and inviting pressure. It feels like he can’t play any other way than this. Whenever few times he tries he gets all itchy to do this hollywood stuff again and again. Not even once since he arrived he has shown any maturity or composure or understanding of his own game.
When I said coaching means you are being coached to play as per manager's instruction. Players shouldn't just be given instruction and do it, it also requires coaching to make sure players don't forget to do it and can do it on the pitch.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Tadic was never a wasteful player but neither was he a creater like Bruno. Bruno cannot keep the ball.
Tadic was never a wasteful player? His pass completion was around 74-75% in PL, around 76% in Dutch league. It's almost as much as Bruno.

I'm a beautiful thing

He's nowhere near the player De Bruyne is,I haven't seen his stats,I just watch him every home game and I find him so wasteful,now he may improve in a better team that has a better structure,we will see

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He’s on the Rashford pile for me. Gets another chance under Ten Hag, and far from a priority exit, but he has to do better.

evil_geko

Bad season but one of the players I’m least worried about going into next season. He’s creative, hard-worker and always available. Under the right guidance he’ll be a class player.
Finally a sensible post, tired of constant short memory bashing where we forgot when he was literally carrying the club. He will come good under ETH, I am sure of it, he will adapt.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Finally a sensible post, tired of constant short memory bashing where we forgot when he was literally carrying the club. He will come good under ETH, I am sure of it, he will adapt.
Not one, two but three 20 goal forwards in the team in 2020 - people need to stop this bollocks that nobody played except Bruno.

redcucumber

He’s on the Rashford pile for me. Gets another chance under Ten Hag, and far from a priority exit, but he has to do better.
Jesus Christ. Rashford and Bruno are very much on different piles at this juncture. It's been a really disappointing season for Bruno yet he still managed 24 goals and assists in 45 games. He's also one of the top performers for goal scoring chances created in the PL. How on earth are him and Rashford remotely the same?

TsuWave

Not one, two but three 20 goal forwards in the team in 2020 - people need to stop this bollocks that nobody played except Bruno.
its even more comical when you go watch the goals and a substantial number of the assists credited to him were nothing passes which Mason, Martial and Rashford turned into worldies by going on slalom runs before scoring

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
There are crazier ideas than him being our Coutinho and moving for a huge fee somewhere like PSG and us using the money to buy 3 new starters, but doesn't seem like any of the big teams are pushing hard for him.
He was the highest goal scoring/ assist making midfielder in Europe for a couple of seasons running when he played at sporting yet no one was willing to take a risk with him. I don't think any club would change their mind watching him the last couple of seasons with us in spending big money on him. And I'm saying that as a Bruno fan.

SER19

When compared with other midfielders, not attacking midfielders and wingers, Fernandes ranks in the 98 percentile or higher for goals, assists, expected assists, shots and shot creation.

Again, this is compared to midfielders and lets say De Bruyne specifically. Fernandes has roughly a 75.2% pass completion per game, versus de bruynes 76.2%. Both of these players will have a pass completion drop because they are both expected to find passes others might not especially in attacking zones. I think Fernandes' 'wastefulness' is far exaggerated and every failed pass now is getting magnified to stupid degree, but the difference between him and de Bruyne, in this regard and in my opinion, is that de Bruyne's failed passes are often the right decision just not executed, while Bruno often fails a pass that he shouldn't have went for. Defenfers of Bruno could probably reasonably argue that in such a poorly functioning team, he often does take on too much and that maybe in a better coached set up, he will make better decisions

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Sorry you said he absolutely carried us to second last season? Now you’re picking stats from this season, to back up your assessment.

As for this season he’s been dire. Throughout. In my opinion only Maguire has had a worse season of those who play week in week out. He’s been that bad. You can have decent personal stats and have a negative impact on the team overall.

Abraxas

Needs to massively improve, there's no doubt about that. He has been profligate with possession, and moaning and sniping more than producing. But there's a very good player there as we've seen, and one that makes a difference. He has no excuses next season but I'm no way near ready to write him off.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Jesus Christ. Rashford and Bruno are very much on different piles at this juncture. It's been a really disappointing season for Bruno yet he still managed 24 goals and assists in 45 games. He's also one of the top performers for goal scoring chances created in the PL. How on earth are him and Rashford remotely the same?
I’m not saying he’s been as shit as Rashford am I. I’m saying I’m putting him in group entitled ‘players who deserve another go’. Rashford deserves to be far closer to the exit door than Bruno does, I’m just saying they should get another chance to turn it around.

Greck

Posts like these are total madness. To make matters worse he's calling people cnuts for holding a player he just deemed world class to those kinds of standards, meaning our so called best player that hasn't had a good game in months shouldn't get criticism like everybody else. If accountability doesn't start from the top it's pointless.

Yesterday he basically played a hollywood pass that played the opponents in behind. In your mind there's no middle ground between a pass like that and a sideways cleveley pass? Worse coming in a post accusing others of lacking nuance.

Last edited:

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I’m not saying he’s been as shit as Rashford am I. I’m saying I’m putting him in group entitled ‘players who deserve another go’. Rashford deserves to be far closer to the exit door than Bruno does, I’m just saying they should get another chance to turn it around.
Completely agree here. Similar to Rashford, his assist and goal numbers (mostly from pens) have masked some dire, dire performances and a huge lack of discipline in keeping the ball in dangerous areas.

I would not have given him a new contract (or certainly not for that kind of money) and listened to offers in the summer if he felt betrayed or whatnot.

We have a replacement in DvB who can be sufficient in the EtH system and then use the funds to get a proper defence and attack, alongside the revamp in the midfield.

awkwarddutchguy

As someone who watched Ajax bruno reminds me of hakim ziyech dutch pundits were saying the same thing a lot of risk a lot of losing the ball in risky areas. And hakim ziyech had a great impact on Ajax playing as an right winger bruno might fit in well in the same roll

GazTheLegend

@Jeppers7 you asked for evidence, then disregarded it anyway. What conversation is there left to have? He also has 25 assists in 87 games for us, and by that stat should have 15 more. He's not been at his best and it's showed, but he has not been helped by the people next to him. Rashford has been a ghost, Cavani's broken, and Elanga doesn't look good enough to me.

@Greck when compared with literally anyone else in our squad, Fernandes has worked miracles. By his own admission he can do better. But if you want examples of players that have been completely and utterly atrocious for us you don't have to go far. Lingard went an entire calendar year without registering a single goal or assist. He's awful and we are well shot of him. Fred is barely a footballer. McTominay has regressed. Dalot is a bit of a disaster. And Pogba had one good game this entire season - his first - and has been unbelievably poor ever since. So I'm not happy clapping - just saying my piece. I was a defender of Herrera's too and had way too many arguments about his ability on this forum, but it's clear to me he's a player we've never really replaced as well and for some reason half the forum wanted him gone anyway and look what it got us. McFred getting demolished by Brighton.

Marcus

I am not ruling out that with his style, he might be one who is shown the door by EHT, for a decent transfer fee.