Bundesliga 2016/17

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Surely they should be expecting at least second in the league?
They should be expecting that , I agree. But so far they have been underwhelming so 2nd place suddenly doesn't look that realistic anymore when they keep dropping points like this.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Surely they should be expecting at least second in the league?
In the end, there's no real world difference between finishing 2nd or 3rd. That being said, finishing 2nd is still the most likely outcome for them.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Dortmund had a massive transfer window with many players leaving/joining. They have not just lost some of their most important players and got various (young) new players, but have a gigantic injury crisis.
Hertha is the typical "hard to beat" team. Very well organised, but extremely depended of Ibisevic scoring goals. Hoffenheim is imo a small miracle. No idea how Nagelsmann is doing this. Their squad is incredibly mediocre. Leipzig is a bit of a wild-card, but all of the three will drop a lot of points till the end of the season.

Blackwidow

Dortmund had a massive transfer window with many players leaving/joining. They have not just lost some of their most important players and got various (young) new players, but have a gigantic injury crisis.
Hertha is the typical "hard to beat" team. Very well organised, but extremely depended of Ibisevic scoring goals. Hoffenheim is imo a small miracle. No idea how Nagelsmann is doing this. Their squad is incredibly mediocre. Leipzig is a bit of a wild-card, but all of the three will drop a lot of points till the end of the season.
The Nagelsmann table - the table of the Bundesliga since he started being coach of Hoffenheim...

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
I rate Nagelsmann very high. And the guy is only 28 years old. A good prospect in the "german coach school".

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
Truly incredible, seeing that Hoffenheim are coached by my neighbour's teenage son
True? Cool coincidence. At least is he playing some kind of Klopp pressing football and we have to wait how he deals with more pressure, but getting experience on this level so early can turn out to a development of a great coach.

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
A fecking 0:0 in the Derby, i guess we have to beat them in their own home to make it clear.

I found a little english speaking report about the Derby:

NoLogo

WTF is happening to Dortmund? They are back to the last Klopp season form.
Not really. It's a mixture of bad finishing and somewhat a young squad that is very inconsistent at times and also the recent injury wave hasn't really helped them.

They lost three of their best players from last season and if anything it was rather a surprise how well they started the season. I know there goes this myth around that Dortmund will be able to sell their entire first eleven and still do well the next season but that's simply not true and it will show this season. I think they still got what it takes to finish top 4 and will probably end up second at the end of the season unless RBL can somehow keep up their ridiculous form.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Has been injured since i don't know when. Feels like he had his last match a year ago. He's training with the squad now i think so he could be back on the pitch in some weeks.
Such an unlucky player. If he wasn't made of glass, he would be up with the best in the world.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Not really. It's a mixture of bad finishing and somewhat a young squad that is very inconsistent at times and also the recent injury wave hasn't really helped them.

They lost three of their best players from last season and if anything it was rather a surprise how well they started the season. I know there goes this myth around that Dortmund will be able to sell their entire first eleven and still do well the next season but that's simply not true and it will show this season. I think they still got what it takes to finish top 4 and will probably end up second at the end of the season unless RBL can somehow keep up their ridiculous form.
The season is not over yet. I still blame the injury crisis for their bad run. Götze is a good replacement for Mikitaryan (imo even better), while Gündogan was out most of the time anyways. Only Hummels is a real loss, but again a CB won't make THAT much of a difference. I can see Dortmund having a very good 2nd half of the season. But the title is obviously lost already.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
The season is not over yet. I still blame the injury crisis for their bad run. Götze is a good replacement for Mikitaryan (imo even better), while Gündogan was out most of the time anyways. Only Hummels is a real loss, but again a CB won't make THAT much of a difference. I can see Dortmund having a very good 2nd half of the season. But the title is obviously lost already.
1. No way. Götze's got nothing on Mkhitaryan if you ask me.

2. We talked about BVB's potential weakness at CB before the season in this thread, and I think it is starting to show now, and make a difference

OutlawGER

Supports
Has been injured since i don't know when. Feels like he had his last match a year ago. He's training with the squad now i think so he could be back on the pitch in some weeks.
Best example for how important FIFA and good looking hair is. :lol:

I rate Reus really high aswell, but he never was THAT good. His last season was pretty average tbh, but he mostly came back from injuries though.

OutlawGER

Supports
2. We talked about BVB's potential weakness at CB before the season in this thread, and I think it is starting to show now, and make a difference

Has a lot to do with their injury crisis, no? I think Bender and Bartra are injured most of the time (so is Schmelzer even though he is a FB).

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
1. No way. Götze's got nothing on Mkhitaryan if you ask me.
Götze is very clearly not Mkhitaryan´s replacement, he is Gündogan´s. Götze´s clearly improving form is one of the few positives right now. Schürrle stepped into the foot prints of the Armenian and has performed very well for us, but was unfortunately barely fit so far.

That would be plausible if we would leak goals like crazy, but 10 goals in 9 games against us is for our very offensive minded team not a disaster. In normal form we would easily outscore this.

The defense was also hit pretty hard by injuries so far. Bender did not play a single minute for us so far, Bartra started well but got also injured, Sokratis had two smaller issues so far. The only completely healthy CB Ginter is also the one with best form right now. Pisczu on the other hand is losing his edge more and more, but can´t be replaced because his back up is forced to cover the left side, where both our high class LBs were out for several weeks.

The main issues right now are build up and finishing. The problems in the offense are that we are forced to overplay our youngsters, who are all highly talented but also all space creators without creating much goal threat. For weeks we had at most two reliable goal scorers (Auba/Ramos), who don´t really work well together. In difference to last season we miss two wide players, who can comfortably score double digits every league season. This is also why Schürrle coming back is immense for us.

Right now, I´m not overly worried as all problems so far are plausible and will in all likelyhood get better with time. Two of the teams above us are too dependent on individual performances of single players (Ibisevic/Modeste) to not fall off sooner or later and both Leipzig and Nagelsmann´s Hoffenheim have not shown how to deal with setbacks yet.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I agree. Götze hasn't played a single match on the wings, he's clearly not Mkhitaryan's replacement. If one is looking for a direct replacement then Schürrle, Mor and Dembele come to mind, particularly the latter one, because Schürrle is more of a finisher where Mkhitaryan is a creator and Mor is still extremely raw.

I also think that this is party a problem of perception. Dortmund are in the process of a huge rebuild, with a very young squad and on top of that an injury crisis.
I don't think people would see it as something special if this bad streak had come at the beginning of the season, because of aforementioned reasons, but since they had two good months at the beginning of the season people seem to have forgotten this.

I also expect them to pick up some form soon, now that injuries are clearing up. Mostly because the team's spirit appears very much intact.

Last edited:

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
So apparently Wolfsburg are after Labbadia :lol:

It would be pretty sad if it weren't so funny

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
@Cristiano Lell
Is Labbadia really such a bad choice? He's familiar with the relegation battle, he's familiar with an underachieveing big club, he's familiar with overpaid players who don't give a shit and while he may not be a great coach I think he's at least a solid one.

I don't think he's a terrible choice if they give him a short contract. Especially since I doubt that they have that many options, since it's still quite early into the season and by now probably everyone knows that this job is a poisoned chalice.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
I don't know. Personally I think Labbadia is a clown and I can't recall a job of his that didn't end badly. I'm willing to admit my personal opinion might not be the be all and end all on this matter

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
It looks a bit like the well known scenario of hiring a coach who has a decent chance for saving the current season, but will absolutely fail to improve the team long term. It will be interesting if he gets a contract beyond the summer, should he indeed get the job.

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
Hope they hire Labadia, and go straight down to the 2. Bundesliga. RB,Hoffenheim,Wolfsburg, nobody needs fecking companys in the league, especialy Wolfsburg who do nothing for the league, which is known for full stadiums and atmosphere, has to go down after their hybris of "now being Nr. 2". Boring team, boring club, bye bye please go down.

Blackwidow

I don't know. Personally I think Labbadia is a clown and I can't recall a job of his that didn't end badly. I'm willing to admit my personal opinion might not be the be all and end all on this matter
How many jobs of coaches end well?

PedroMendez

Acolyte
not going well for them. You can see how their system got less and less organized since Favre left. Way too much space behind the wing-backs and holes everywhere between the lines.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Pretty surprised just how bad Mönchengladbach has become...but of course everything has been going wrong for them today, the first goal just as they were starting to look threatening, the Hermann injury, then they gift Berlin a second goal, get Kramer sent off and start collecting yellow cards all over the place.
Still mad that Löw is ignoring Mitchell Weiser though, it's not like Germany is in need of young gifted wing-backs, right? ^^

maze

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
hertha berlin's mitchell weiser has become sooo good, it's astonishing really. clearly one of the players to watch out for.

Zippy20

Supports
Hertha BSC
I'm very happy for Kalou. Many have doubted that he would make it back into the team and now with all those injuries, he showed what he can still do. Weiser is playing very well for us at the moment, but he has to prove that he can do it week, in week out. I would guess, that if any of our players get into the German national team anytime soon (next 1 or 2 years), it would be Stark, not Weiser. Henrichs is playing very well, too, bytheway, i'm not mad because Löw ignores him.