g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Bundesliga 2016/17

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
I always have to think about Kroos, who was better in every single aspect and got criticised all the damn time. I am still really disappointed by Thiago´s performances, but the third spot should be up for grabs, especially when Müller is starting out wide. So Thiago certainly will get a lot of starts this season.
IMO Kroos and Thiago would have complemented each other so well. Thiago is much more of a risk taker, and in that capacity I think that in a game like today he's actually the one making the most stuff happen from midfield. IMO that is very important, even if he makes some maddeningly lavish mess ups periodically.

He's not one to be able to calm and control a contested game though. Funnily I think he might blossom under Ancelotti.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
IMO Kroos and Thiago would have complemented each other so well. Thiago is much more of a risk taker, and in that capacity I think that in a game like today he's actually the one making the most stuff happen from midfield. IMO that is very important, even if he makes some maddeningly lavish mess ups periodically.

He's not one to be able to calm and control a contested game though. Funnily I think he might blossom under Ancelotti.
I just don´t think that he hasn´t shown the necessary level of performance yet. It is not even him messing up. He is just a passenger 9 out of 10 times. He doesn´t control games and the moments of magic are few and far between. I´d love him to come good, because he can be a joy to watch but I am starting to lose patience.

Blackwidow

Thiagos composedness on the ball is verys much needed, as is Alonsos presence.
Hummels looking surplus to requirements, even more so once Badstuber is back.
I guess Ancelotti will need to rotate the defense fairly. I do not see Hummels better than Martinez - not even in the long run when he totally adapted. And Boateng does not to play every match, either.

But I guess with this team you need to rotate. Atleast when everybody is fit. Somehow I cannot really believe that this will happen but right now Coman already is in team training, Robben and Boateng will start Sunday. Only Badstuber is still a big questionmark doing individual training.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
...and the fact that Vidal is always good for an injury.
Wasn't he the one guy at Bayern who was not injured last season? All this "his knees are troublesome" talk never materialised.

WhoDaGOAT

Wasn't he the one guy at Bayern who was not injured last season? All this "his knees are troublesome" talk never materialised.
Vidal's problems aren't with injuries, but rather with alcohol (allegedly).

NYC

Renato was rather out of placed today. His playstyle at the moment, might not fit with bayern (hence why i always said that he probably would of been an United player had Mourinho been appointed faster). He should groom himself at Vidal, because that is who I imagine what people want Renato to be in the future.

I just don´t think that he hasn´t shown the necessary level of performance yet. It is not even him messing up. He is just a passenger 9 out of 10 times. He doesn´t control games and the moments of magic are few and far between. I´d love him to come good, because he can be a joy to watch but I am starting to lose patience.
Are you losing patience with Lewandowski needing 5 clear chances to score 1 goal too?
Also, Thiago does control games, however, that is not his role when Alonso is playing, because Alonso is still the best passer (one of) in football. Also, Alonso has been just as good and even better than Kroos has been for Bayern.

NYC

No, not even close.
Actually, Bayern with Kroos the last 2 seasons, wouldn't be any different. Kroos has age on Alonso as his main advantage, however, in terms of passing, Alonso might be the best all around passer I've seen. Alonso is a lot better DLP than Kroos is and even though both are slow AF, one actually attempts to play defense, while the others watches the other team pass him by....

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
They did back then, when Toni was still with us. But he's gone now, and we'll never get him back, sad as it is.

Renato was rather out of placed today. His playstyle at the moment, might not fit with bayern (hence why i always said that he probably would of been an United player had Mourinho been appointed faster). He should groom himself at Vidal, because that is who I imagine what people want Renato to be in the future.
First game in a new team after a lengthy injury. He'll do well after settling in.

Are you losing patience with Lewandowski needing 5 clear chances to score 1 goal too?
Bottling the easy ones has been Robert's problem ever since. It's his weakness, and it won't go away. Time for people to come to terms with it.

Also, Thiago does control games, however, that is not his role when Alonso is playing, because Alonso is still the best passer (one of) in football. Also, Alonso has been just as good and even better than Kroos has been for Bayern.
Toni handles pressure so much better than Xabi, it's not funny. Alonso is good as long as he's given space and time. The moment he's being pressed, he crumbles. That is the big difference between him and Toni, who still finds a solution when one or two guys stand on his heels

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Was just browsing through transfermarkt to check up on membership numbers per club, and stumbled upon this amazing number for Rasenball Leipzig:lol:

1 FC Bayern München 27.02.1900 277.000
2 FC Schalke 04 04.05.1904 142.000
3 Borussia Dortmund 19.12.1909 140.000
4 1.FC Köln 13.02.1948 81.604
5 Hamburger SV 29.09.1887 75.279
6 Borussia Mönchengladbach 01.08.1900 75.171
7 SV Werder Bremen 04.02.1899 36.500
8 Hertha BSC 25.07.1892 32.800
9 Eintracht Frankfurt 08.03.1899 30.533
10 Bayer 04 Leverkusen 01.07.1904 27.462
11 VfL Wolfsburg 12.09.1945 19.500
12 1.FSV Mainz 05 16.03.1905 13.500
13 FC Augsburg 08.08.1907 13.500
14 SC Freiburg 30.05.1904 10.000
15 SV Darmstadt 98 22.05.1898 7.600
16 TSG 1899 Hoffenheim 01.07.1899 6.980
17 FC Ingolstadt 04 05.02.2004 1.000
18 RasenBallsport Leipzig 19.05.2009 8

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
I think he had quite a few injuries before that season but might've been just wrong on that. Still very thin midfield imo. Sanches doesn't look like he's ready at the moment.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
I think he had quite a few injuries before that season but might've been just wrong on that. Still very thin midfield imo. Sanches doesn't look like he's ready at the moment.
There's Kimmich, and once Boateng is back, Javi Martinez becomes available for our midfield as well. I also expect Sanches to pick up. This was his first game for a new team after an injury, and the conditions weren't easy. We struggled last season aginst Weinzierl's Augsburg as well.

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
There's Kimmich, and once Boateng is back, Javi Martinez becomes available for our midfield as well. I also expect Sanches to pick up. This was his first game for a new team after an injury, and the conditions weren't easy. We struggled last season aginst Weinzierl's Augsburg as well.
The problem isn't so much the number of midfielders but more the lack of certain types. I think it's the creative part that is somewhat lacking. For the rest you have Alonso, Vidal, Martinez and depending on how good they are Sanches and Kimmich. For the creative part is there anyone but Thiago?
Thing is I don't expect you to struggle because of that. Your wingers can easily solve the problem against almost any team. Ribery, Robben, Costa, Müller.. you certainly won't struggle creating chances against almost any team. It's just a bit surprising that there is no real creative midfielder apart from Thiago or am I missing someone?

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
The problem isn't so much the number of midfielders but more the lack of certain types. I think it's the creative part that is somewhat lacking. For the rest you have Alonso, Vidal, Martinez and depending on how good they are Sanches and Kimmich. For the creative part is there anyone but Thiago?
Thing is I don't expect you to struggle because of that. Your wingers can easily solve the problem against almost any team. Ribery, Robben, Costa, Müller.. you certainly won't struggle creating chances against almost any team. It's just a bit surprising that there is no real creative midfielder apart from Thiago or am I missing someone?
No, apart from Thiago we don't have another real playmaker. Hope we're going to do something about next season. Still, it's not that bad. As you've said, we have our wingers. On top of that, Alaba and Lahm contribute as well, and Boateng and Hummels are superb at pinging accurate long balls. Vidal(he carried us through large patches of the last season) and Martinez(he played that perfect throughball leading to Lewa's 1:0 yesrerday) shouldn't be underestimated either.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
It's just a bit surprising that there is no real creative midfielder apart from Thiago or am I missing someone?
No you are right, though Costa and Robben drifted inside and sometimes played a kind of "10" under Pep when he fielded 5 attackers.
A lot of Bayern supporters were in favor of signing Gündogan/Pjanic.

KingNick

Thin midfield? Kimmich, Alonso, Vidal, Thiago, Sanches and Martinez. They got every position covered twice with quality players.

Nostradamus

Can’t even predict the past
Thin midfield? Kimmich, Alonso, Vidal, Thiago, Sanches and Martinez. They got every position covered twice with quality players.
and I have high hopes, that the only reason Bayern havent added a creative midfielder this summer is, that they are going to add Dahoud next summer to fill this hole, as he was impossible to get this year. He tops my wishlist.

Xivon

Supports
Bayern Munich
and I have high hopes, that the only reason Bayern havent added a creative midfielder this summer is, that they are going to add Dahoud next summer to fill this hole, as he was impossible to get this year. He tops my wishlist.
Add Brandt to the list. I'd love to see him in a Bayern dress.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
They did back then, when Toni was still with us. But he's gone now, and we'll never get him back, sad as it is.
True. Thiago was injured huge parts of that season though. I've since gotten past Kroos'departure. I have added it to the heap of problems that messed up Götze transfer brought us.

So would Reschke :D

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
He'll end up with us sooner or later. Not 100% sold on him though. He's quality, but his ceiling is definitely lower than that of Ribery.

Blackwidow

He'll end up with us sooner or later. Not 100% sold on him though. He's quality, but his ceiling is definitely lower than that of Ribery.
All of this kids need to step up their performance to survive at Bayern. If they do not it will not be enough.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Leno failing miserably at being Neuer
Yep. To be fair getting the accurate timing down from that distance is extremely hard, way harder than many realize. Neuer is simply making it look easy, because he is in terms of aniticipation the best I have ever seen live.

If it stays that way, Leverkusen is in for a classic bad start. Their win in the German cup was also everything but convincing.

Maybe a lot of us, including myself, gave them too much credit because they managed to keep the team together and strengthen their depth.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
That says more about Ribery’s quality than anything else. He is still quite underrated by fans of other clubs (due to injuries and his personality). He is imo the best Bayern player in the 21. Century (= since Lothar left). The only player who might be able to replace him like-for-like would be Hazard, but Chelsea won´t sell him. What makes Ribery so special is that he is both a winger and a play-maker. He takes a lot of pressure of our midfield to create stuff. The midfield need to step up when he is not there, especially when we use a slightly more normal system without 4-6 attackers.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
The funny thing is that I indeed had the feeling this summer Leverkusen had improved their team prudently and thought they might be a stable top spot contender this season, and maybe even participate in some kind of three way title race or something.

Now we might be looking at 2 defeats for a start and Schmidt under immediate, heavy pressure, which is never good.

Goes to show I'd be a terrible pundit.

Sphaero

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Freiburg is by the way playing a really good game vs. Gladbach, being the better team by a fair margin. I think they have a really good shot at staying up. They are kinda my second team in the Bundesliga. Streich is hilarious and their support is really, really friendly and classy.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
That says more about Ribery’s quality than anything else. He is still quite underrated by fans of other clubs (due to injuries and his personality). He is imo the best Bayern player in the 21. Century (= since Lothar left). The only player who might be able to replace him like-for-like would be Hazard, but Chelsea won´t sell him. What makes Ribery so special is that he is both a winger and a play-maker. He takes a lot of pressure of our midfield to create stuff. The midfield need to step up when he is not there, especially when we use a slightly more normal system without 4-6 attackers.
I was thinking the same too. It's funny to say it, but it's true, that Ribéry remains somehow very underrated. And indeed, his contribution to the current status of the FCB cannot be overstated.
Let's not forget Robben though. And Müller and Lahm. Etc.

Safe to say it makes me happy to see Ribéry back playing regularly for us on top of his game.
I'd forgotten how that feels like, and didn't really think it would happen again.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
The funny thing is that I indeed had the feeling this summer Leverkusen had improved their team prudently and thought they might be a stable top spot contender this season, and maybe even participate in some kind of three way title race or something.

Now we might be looking at 2 defeats for a start and Schmidt under immediate, heavy pressure, which is never good.

Goes to show I'd be a terrible pundit.
Shame on you:lol: I always found that notion of Leverkusen actually being able to challenge for more than the 3rd spot hilarious. Schmidt is way too easy to be found out with his tactics

Sphaero

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Close between him and Lahm imo. The latter is just so damn consistent for around a decade now.

Too bad that one of them is annoying as hell in interviews while the other is a cúnt on the pitch.

Sphaero

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Shame on you:lol: I always found that notion of Leverkusen actually being able to challenge for more than the 3rd spot hilarious. Schmidt is way too easy to be found out with his tactics
Why? They have very clearly the third strongest squad on paper while we have a massive overhaul on our hands. I did not think they would be consistent enough to challenge Bayern, but I saw them as our biggest threat for the 2nd place.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Why? They have very clearly the third strongest squad on paper while we have a massive overhaul on our hands. I did not think they would be consistent enough to challenge Bayern, but I saw them as our biggest threat for the 2nd place.
They did finish 18pts behind you for a reason. Yes, their squad doesn't look bad, yet it's a far cry from yours, coached by a onedimensional pressing bunny, who has no idea on how to teach his underlings some sort of constructive possession football.
That is the reason why they get beat with their own weapons again and again.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I have Pohjanpalo savely on my kicker manager game bench :mad: