g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Bye bye top 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

NK86

But they didn't. 5 Wins and 1 Draw from the last 6 says to me that they have hit a bit of form.
Our "form" in terms of results is very good over the last 15 games, and not just the last 6. You cannot just look at the scoreline and say that we have hit form because then most on here would not be complaining. Were you happy with our performance against the likes of Southamptpon/Arsenal away where we won the game but were very lucky to do so. I don't think you used those games' scoreline as a barometer to say our form has been good.

Treble

Unfortunately, Liverpool are favourites for the 4th spot. Much depends on our game with them though. It is going to be utterly important.

Maldini's Hair

Our "form" in terms of results is very good over the last 15 games, and not just the last 6. You cannot just look at the scoreline and say that we have hit form because then most on here would not be complaining. Were you happy with our performance against the likes of Southamptpon/Arsenal away where we won the game but were very lucky to do so. I don't think you used those games' scoreline as a barometer to say our form has been good.
I haven't personally been happy with our performances all season. Frankly we are a mish-mash of out of form and out of position players and our performances have demonstrated as much. We get by because we have so many players capable of pulling something out of their a*se at some point during 90 minutes of football. My issue is Liverpool and Arsenal are both winning a fair bit at the moment. We, currently, are not. We need to pick up form and quickly because otherwise we'll find ourselves in a bit of a pickle.

Giggsy92

Our game at Anfield is 3 days after a Europa League fixture for Liverpool isn't it? Could be a factor, I don't think any of the three sides who played Thursday played particularly well yesterday.

NK86

I haven't personally been happy with our performances all season. Frankly we are a mish-mash of out of form and out of position players and our performances have demonstrated as much. We get by because we have so many players capable of pulling something out of their a*se at some point during 90 minutes of football. My issue is Liverpool and Arsenal are both winning a fair bit at the moment. We, currently, are not. We need to pick up form and quickly because otherwise we'll find ourselves in a bit of a pickle.
I don't disagree regarding our form but if you have seen Liverpool apart from just the scoreline, they have been very up and down themselves. Not like they are blowing the competition away. They are a bit like we were when we were getting results but were actually playing very poorly. Thus my point that the scouse aren't actually in some great form. They have been hot and cold for sometime and there is no reason to believe that we cannot stay ahead of them and in the top 4.

Maldini's Hair

I don't disagree regarding our form but if you have seen Liverpool apart from just the scoreline, they have been very up and down themselves. Not like they are blowing the competition away. They are a bit like we were when we were getting results but were actually playing very poorly. Thus my point that the scouse aren't actually in some great form. They have been hot and cold for sometime and there is no reason to believe that we cannot stay ahead of them and in the top 4.
Your positivity pleases me :)

Mainoldo

Speak to the rest of these bozos who have just been looking at the results and listening to the media. Liverpool will drop points and are like us pretty much relying on moments of brilliance to win games at the minute. I feel like at old Trafford they will crumble when we play them.

Getsme

Speak to the rest of these bozos who have just been looking at the results and listening to the media. Liverpool will drop points and are like us pretty much relying on moments of brilliance to win games at the minute. I feel like at old Trafford they will crumble when we play them.
Even so, they have gained 8 points on us in roughly two months, they are a serious threat to our Champions League position.

NK86

I agree with the rest of your post completely. But re the bold part, seems like we will have to wait for next season to witness that :)

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It could go either way tbh, they are relying on moment of brilliance like us, however they are actually happening for them more often than for us. If we played them next game I would be VERY worried. Hopefully we can get into a better state before that game comes around.

SammyUnited_83

Our game at Anfield is 3 days after a Europa League fixture for Liverpool isn't it? Could be a factor, I don't think any of the three sides who played Thursday played particularly well yesterday.
What's our excuse then :annoyed: ?

Huge game at Anfield, I would snatch a draw now, at this moment there is no possible way that I can see us winning that game.

Smores

With Sturridge back they're only going to improve as he hits form and that plays a huge mental factor when your star player returns.

On the other hand we just have to pick ourselves up and hope things click. Our form as is (performances included) wont be enough for us to keep that 4th place so its not looking good.

Not impossible or improbable though and i reckon we'll beat them in our clash. Could be the difference so i fear for LvGs twitchy behind

NK86

With Sturridge back they're only going to improve as he hits form and that plays a huge mental factor when your star player returns.

On the other hand we just have to pick ourselves up and hope things click. Our form as is (performances included) wont be enough for us to keep that 4th place so its not looking good.

Not impossible or improbable though and i reckon we'll beat them in our clash. Could be the difference so i fear for LvGs twitchy behind
We have to wait and see. I don't think Sturridge coming back will improve their defense which was what was torn apart by Southampton yesterday.

Empire

I see the point, and there might be something to it.

But some of those relegation threatened teams are easy to beat now, and they'll be easy to beat at the end of the season as well. It's not a cast iron rule that teams scrapping for their lives all of a sudden become formidable opponents, where once they were relative pushovers. Can't just turn it on and off like that.

For instance, Fulham only won two of their last 12 games in 2013/14. Norwich only won two of their last 12 as well. Cardiff only won one of their last 12.

These are the teams that got relegated, and they were all in the bottom 5 with 26 games of the season gone.

Generally, I do still think you'd rather be playing the Leicesters, QPRs and Burnleys than the West Hams, Stokes and Newcastles, let alone the Chelseas, Arsenals and Liverpools.
I think you missed my point a little, I said 'teams that are fighting for something are dangerous' therefore not just the relegation threatened sides, obviously Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool are extremely dangerous and even West Ham who are still in the hunt for Europa League, they will be fighting hard.

In the last three seasons the following happened:

2013 - 2014

The teams in the bottom three (at 26 matches played) between them averaged 0.85 points per game after the first 26 games and 0.94 points per game in their final 12.

The teams 11th, 12th and 13th (at 26 matches played) between them averaged 1.06 points per game after the first 26 games and 0.89 points per game in their final 12.

Verdict - The sides in the bottom three (at 26 matches played) went on to take more points per game in their final 12 matches than the sides that were mid table.

2012 - 2013

The teams in the bottom three (at 26 matches played) between them averaged 0.78 points per game after the first 26 games and 0.78 points per game in their final 12.

The teams 11th, 12th and 13th (at 26 matches played) between them averaged 1.13 points per game after the first 26 games and 1.11 points per game in their final 12.

Verdict - The sides in the bottom three (at 26 matches played) went on to take less points per game in their final 12 matches than the sides that were mid table.

2011 - 2012

The teams in the bottom three (at 26 matches played) between them averaged 0.78 points per game after the first 26 games and 1.36 points per game in their final 12.

The teams 11th, 12th and 13th (at 26 matches played) between them averaged 1.26 points per game after the first 26 games and 1.28 points per game in their final 12.

Verdict - The sides in the bottom three (at 26 matches played) went on to take more points per game in their final 12 matches than the sides that were mid table.

I think the teams currently in the relegation zone could pose more of a threat in these last matches than they have thus far this season, it's not going to happen every season nor in every game but it will happen in some seasons and in some games, the point I'm making is that your assumption the current points totals are a reasonable prediction of the difficulty of the matches to come is flawed and what might seem like an easy run of fixtures because those sides are at the bottom fighting relegation could actually prove to be tricky matches.

As an example, this weekend just gone a side in the relegation zone (Burnley) got a point against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Some on these forums argued they should have beaten Manchester United last week, the side right at the bottom Leicester drew to Everton at Goodison this weekend.

Who knows what teams are going to do what, far too many variables, looking at the fixture list and making a prediction on what will happen is severely flawed in my opinion. Last season title challengers Chelsea did exceptionally well against the very best sides in the league but lost the championship in the so called 'easier' fixtures.

This is football, it happens, the unpredictability is what makes it so addictive.

IwatUwat

We will also improve with Carrick back.

NJM78

I don't think we will make top four. We have 12 games left and our form over previous 12 is W6 D4 L2.
We have very hard games away at Chelsea and a resurgent Liverpool. Even Everton and Newcastle will be tough. As for at OT I can see Man City beating us quite comfortably and the way Arsenal are going forward I think our league and FA cup games will be very tough. Spurs look vulnerable at the back just like us but they seem to score for fun so our home game with them is also hard to call.
I'm predicting 6 wins 3 draws and 3 losses giving us 68 points and only once in last 6 seasons has that been enough for a top four finish. I think we will end up 5th maybe 6th. Hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Treble

I don't think we will make top four. We have 12 games left and our form over previous 12 is W6 D4 L2.
We have very hard games away at Chelsea and a resurgent Liverpool. Even Everton and Newcastle will be tough. As for at OT I can see Man City beating us quite comfortably and the way Arsenal are going forward I think our league and FA cup games will be very tough. Spurs look vulnerable at the back just like us but they seem to score for fun so our home game with them is also hard to call.
I'm predicting 6 wins 3 draws and 3 losses giving us 68 points and only once in last 6 seasons has that been enough for a top four finish. I think we will end up 5th maybe 6th. Hope I'm wrong.
I think that's about right, maybe even slighlty optimistic. IMO, we'll get 66-67 points which probably won't be enough. I think we can draw vs Chelsea and Arsenal, maybe even against Liverpool (it is more likely to lose though), but will lose points against some of the weaker teams.

Infra-red

Unfortunately this looks very plausible.

Mainoldo

Now do that for Liverpool and Arsenal games left on current form. Take into account they both have to play us (Arsenal away) and Liverpool have City, Chelsea and Arsenal. JUST LIKE US lol.

It will go to the wire but we will do it.

legball

Who says Liverpool are resurgent, have you seen them play? The same Burnley whom we were poor against got a draw and almost 3 points at Stamford Bridge, before the game, you'll not look stupid if you had predicted it would be a sure 3 pointer for Chelsea. When we were winning whilst not looking good, we got criticized, Liverpool are doing the same now but they have "hit" form.. I don't understand how anyone can decide in their homes that we'll definitely lose against City, Chelsea and Liverpool..And we'll find it hard against Spurs and Arsenal, one of whom we outplayed at their ground, and the other haven't beaten us in ages, it's such a pessimistic outlook, it's disturbing. In the big games we have been quite good this season but most of you won't consider that because it doesn't suit the narrative. There are many variables that determine a football game, not just the fixture list. One minute is a long time in football, nevermind 12 games, 2 wins in a row [which we're capable of] and the outlook will change.

NJM78

Now do that for Liverpool and Arsenal games left on current form. Take into account they both have to play us (Arsenal away) and Liverpool have City, Chelsea and Arsenal. JUST LIKE US lol.

It will go to the wire but we will do it.
Yes I have looked at both of their fixtures and there are points to be dropped. I'd be more optimistic if Arsenal had not taken 18 points from last 21 or 17 like Liverpool. We have taken 11 and look more vulnerable than those two. Also Liverpool lost only once of their previous final twelve games over last two seasons so Brendan has them finishing strong or be it without Suarez. I'd love to be wrong but we also lost 7 of the 12 corresponding fixtures last season or be it with Moyes!!

NJM78

Who says Liverpool are resurgent, have you seen them play? The same Burnley whom we were poor against got a draw and almost 3 points at Stamford Bridge, before the game, you'll not look stupid if you had predicted it would be a sure 3 pointer for Chelsea. When we were winning whilst not looking good, we got criticized, Liverpool are doing the same now but they have "hit" form.. I don't understand how anyone can decide in their homes that we'll definitely lose against City, Chelsea and Liverpool..And we'll find it hard against Spurs and Arsenal, one of whom we outplayed at their ground, and the other haven't beaten us in ages, it's such a pessimistic outlook, it's disturbing. In the big games we have been quite good this season but most of you won't consider that because it doesn't suit the narrative. There are many variables that determine a football game, not just the fixture list. One minute is a long time in football, nevermind 12 games, 2 wins in a row [which we're capable of] and the outlook will change.
Liverpool have lost once in 19 games so if we were on ''form'' they are also plus I have watched them play for sure, Southampton were the better side imo but they lost, just like when we beat them away.
The point is I'm also looking at it from a form point of view since turn of the year and Arsenal and Liverpool's is a lot better than ours points wise. Also why can I not assume we'll find it hard against Arsenal and Spurs at home...have you seen us play!?
Plus I can predict what I like in my own home as I have an opinion just like you have that right.
I will happily eat my words should it all turn out different but this is what I predict...not what is written in stone!

El Zoido

It's worrying how we've collapsed after Christmas two seasons running. Under Fergie we wouldn't even hit stride until the new year. Honestly we're just really depressing right now.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's worrying how we've collapsed after Christmas two seasons running. Under Fergie we wouldn't even hit stride until the new year. Honestly we're just really depressing right now.
Is a couple of losses in 20 games a collapse?

My word you'd be fun in a relegation battle!

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

A couple of losses in the last 6 sounds a lot worse.
Anyway its not a collapse, but our form since Xmas has been worrying.

Getsme

If you look at our away form then it's pretty obvious why some are concerned about out form, 7 points from 18 is hardly something to be relaxed about.

C'est Moi Cantona

The problem is clear that we are a stagnant side that looks scared, and burdened every time we play, almost like we're running through treacle at times, whether that's because we are too busy worrying about the consequences of not getting top 4, information overload form LvG, or because we are just genuinely crap I'm not sure but it as to stop or we stand no chance.

Just hope we are like a racehorse that is idling on the run in, only to kick on again when the challengers close in, but I'm not so sure.

Gannicus

We have been getting outplayed by League 2 sides. That is the only thing we have done in terms of playing to the "level" of our opponents. I don't see us matching City/Chelsea in terms of style. We might just get a point from those two games but I am sure as heck not pinning my hopes of a top 4 by winning against them. We need to get the job done against the other sides we are going to be facing. That is what will be the turning point for us. Still cannot believe we have let a lead of 13 points dwindle down to just 2 in just a couple of a months.
Let's not indulge in fantasy. We weren't outplayed by League 2 sides at all. They manned up on us fantastically, but we were deserving winners. And lest I not be judged too harshly in rejoicing in victories over League 2 sides, I'm only responding to the claim that were outplayed by League 2 sides.

Chelsea and City have clearly stronger-- vastly better, in fact -- squads (and perhaps managers, too), but it's also true that we matched up on them fairly well earlier this season. They may blow us out of the water next time we face each, but the point still stands that up to now we really have played to the level of our opponents. We played down to League 2 sides ( and to the likes of Burnley and Swansea) but were very competitive against Chelsea and City. We beat Arsenal and Liverpool, whom everyone here concedes are very strong clubs.

There is cause for despair, but also cause for hope.

Infra-red

It's not just the poor run of form United are enduring, it's also the relative upturn in form being enjoyed by our main rivals for a top 4 finish.

Since 28th December, United have taken 12 points from a possible 24, the least of any side in the top 7 of the Premier League. Arsenal have taken 18 points in the same period, Liverpool 20 points.

In the 8 games prior to that, United took 22 points from a possible 24, in comparison to Arsenal (13 points), and Liverpool (11 points).

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I think we've been pretty steady lately. It's been vacillating between some very good football in patches and some bland but mostly in control football. And we've still been able to break teams down by just staying patient.

So more of a blowing hot and lukewarm than really cold.

Performancewise, I definitely fancy us over you at the moment. But you've been getting points anyway.

NK86

Yeah. We were destroyed there...
Your first half was one of the luckiest I have ever seen I side get with decisions. You should have conceded 3 penalties and should have been down to 9 men in the first half itself. If that's not getting hammered, I don't know what is.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
Agree, they were pretty much dogs hit yesterday, but hung in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.