Bye bye top 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

soapythecat

Sorry, but people were saying Liverpool's defence was an absolute shambles earlier in the season. Now Rodgers has them looking rock solid. Van Gaal, supposed genius that he is, should be making more of the tools at his disposal.
What has Liverpools defence got to do with it? FWIW, I think Liverpools 1st choice CB pairing is better than any combo we can throw together. Skertel and Sakho look very strong together. We can't boost such confidence in any of our CB's.
Our defence needs protecting or we would just ship a hell of a lot more.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Calling it now,

1. Chelsea
2. City
3. Arsenal
4. Liverpool
5. Spurs
6. United/Southampton
7. United/Southampton

I have 0 confidence in LVG, he's Just not a very good manger he's certainly not the ruthless guy we expected.
He is a very good manager and a ruthless guy, maybe he hasn't shown that for many here at United, but still no need to rewrite everything he has done. Also it seems like the job is much more difficult than anyone here can imagine. A lot of here though back 4 is the answer, it was wrong. Or playing Di Maria as midfielder, caf favorite Herrera or legend Rooney as striker and we are still shit. The players should all do much better, I am really disappointed how some of them perform and if it goes on like that you will see more ruthlessnees from LvG in the summer.

Getsme

I still expected Spurs to win it before the game, so a draw is ok. Yeah Liverpool gained those points because we are playing like shit, especially away. If we continue like that, it doesn't matter how the other teams are doing, because most likely everyone around us will overtake our team. In the end our form needs to improve, then we can increase the gap to pool imo. Arsenal and Tottenham will drop points like they do all season and Liverpool could struggle with EL football and a lot of big games in the next weeks too.
Yes, before kick-off I would have taken a draw in both games but with ten minutes to go and Spurs losing 0-2 a draw turns into a great result for them and a point gained on us.
Of course our form needs to improve, but until then we need our closest rivals to drop points, for me Liverpool are a bigger threat than any other team around us, we needed a Southampton win today.

Silverman

Liverpool aren't City or Chelsea. We are well able to go to Anfield and win. Everyone is too negative. I don't think it's realistic either.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Big win for the dippers. On a real roll now, ain't they, the bastards.

This is no good, actually.

Shark

@NotShark
Liverpool aren't City or Chelsea. We are well able to go to Anfield and win. Everyone is too negative. I don't think it's realistic either.
The last time we won at Anfield, they went down to 10 men and still dominated us. I honestly don't hold much hope.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I'm almost 100% certain sure Liverpool will beat us by at least 2 goals. On current form of both teams they are miles ahead.

Fully Fledged

Klopp's season has been strange - clubs unpicked his tactics and his players have looked dreadful in some games. I think he suffered most from post-WC blues. Since the winter break they have looked more lively. I just don't think we can experiment anymore, but matching candidates to our priorities. It should be a manager who has abilities and vision like Ancelotti.
I agree. I just don't see us being able to pry him away from Madrid.

Bojan11

We usually play shit at Anfield even at our peak.

This year we a lot worse away from home. I just can't see us going there and winning.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Calling it now,

1. Chelsea
2. City
3. Arsenal
4. Liverpool
5. Spurs
6. United/Southampton
7. United/Southampton
It's all speculation until the end of the season, but a lot can and will happen. I'm optimistic, god knows why, and I think we'll get 3rd or fourth with Arsenal/Liverpool taking the other spot.

Southampton and Spurs really don't worry me.

Stretford End Phil

It's all speculation until the end of the season, but a lot can and will happen. I'm optimistic, god knows why, and I think we'll get 3rd or fourth with Arsenal/Liverpool taking the other spot.

If we do well in the cup I might agree with you but otherwise I still believe 3/4 is up for grabs. LVG will show his experience in March/April, and that should give us an edge. At some point this squad of players is going to turnover the opposition - let's hope it's sooner than next season.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
We certainly can beat them, but on current form I wouldn't feel at all confident going to Anfield.

Silverman

No need to panic. Next up, we need to beat Sunderland and City to beat Liverpool. Don't look further than that.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!

Well I'm almost certain arsenal will finish above us now they are playing too well and hitting form at the right time, same can be said for Liverpool.

I know Spurs and Southampton have had a dodgy weekend but they will continue to pick up points I'm sure.

Our next 8 games are vital for us but honestly I can only see us winning 2 of them

Fbh112

squelchy shoes
It is looking rather bleak. Couldn't afford a result like yesterdays with much tougher games on the horizon. Did miss the match and though it seems the team played well, can't take much comfort in at as would be able to ordinarily. Better against better team, team will need to find their shooting boots that is for sure.

Member 5225

Itching to start another poll re: what people think of LVG if we don't get top 4...i.e. sack or stick?

NessunDorma

So anyway, the race for fourth could be a really close run thing between us, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Southampton.

To try and gauge how difficult each teams run-in is, I thought I would make a tally of their remaining opponents total points for the season to date, depending on whether the remaining game is being played home or away. So for example, we play Liverpool away, they've won 23 points at home, and so 23 points would be added to the total.

The theory being that the higher the combined points total of each teams remaining opponents, the tougher the run-in will be. And it looked like this:

1. Total points scored by the teams Spurs have left to play: 245
  2. Total points scored by the teams United have left to play: 224
  3. Total points scored by the teams Liverpool have left to play: 217
  4. Total points scored by the teams Arsenal have left to play: 208
  5. Total points scored by the teams Southampton have left to play: 198

So going by this, Spurs have by far the most difficult run-in, while Southampton have the easiest. Ours is the second most difficult after Spurs'.

It's hardly an exact science, but based on this table, and a bit of my own judgement, I would expect Arsenal to finish 3rd with a cushion, and us and Liverpool to take it right to the wire for fourth. Spurs will lose the tow, and I still don't think Southampton can last the pace either, despite their relatively kind fixture list.

Could be an absolute rollercoaster ride over the next 12 games, with every last point now mattering, just as if we were in a neck and neck title race.

Let's see what these b*stards are made of, then . . .

Last edited:

JoaquinJoaquin

What have you seen from us that makes you think we can get 3rd? I'd be frankly amazed if we managed to finish in that position. More likely 5th IMO.

VanGaalEra

Everyone step back, breathe and if you're still panicking give yourself a slap.

A lot of games to go and football to be played, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs have european football to contend with as well. It's not far fetched to think they'll drop points that they shouldn't as well as picking up some injuries along the way.

If we can go on a run of even 3/4 consecutive wins, we'll be feeling a lot more comfortable.

Water Melon

Everyone step back, breathe and if you're still panicking give yourself a slap.

A lot of games to go and football to be played, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs have european football to contend with as well. It's not far fetched to think they'll drop points that they shouldn't as well as picking up some injuries along the way.

If we can go on a run of even 3/4 consecutive wins, we'll be feeling a lot more comfortable.
I dont see anyone here panicking or as hopeless as they were last season. People think that their hopes and expectations have not been met by the manager. Taking into account the squad and the money LvG has at his disposal, current position of the Reds does not look inspiring. Looking at the fixtures in the next couple of months, the run of 3-4 consecutive runs seems to be too optimistic. Hopefully, LvG will prove me and many other fans, who have some question marks about him, wrong.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
One thing I will say is that Liverpool and Arsenal both have tough games at the weekend. Arsenal will probably win, but if they draw and Liverpool also draw/lose to City, then (providing we win), we could be 2 points ahead of Arsenal and 4-5 points ahead of Liverpool (our GD really means 4.5 or 5.5 points ahead). So, despite this weekend being shit from almost every aspect, there are positives if you want to look for them.

It's in our hands, and LvG is decent in the big games. I think we'll beat Spurs at home and get something at Anfield -- a point there would be the equivalent of three, three points would basically mean we've cemented our top four position.

Oneunited26

I think about 5th of 6th and even 7th we will probably get. Southampton Liverpool and arsenal look far stronger than us has a team, Spurs could surprise a few and VG has relied upon the home for far too long, much like moyes relied upon the away from last season, and both managers share the same problem, accommodating players above what is best for the system. For me the squad and club are still at ground zero since fergie retired.

And the biggest problem is? We have a manager that cannot see his own faults, and the reality is he just old and certain players he does not seem to drop. He's messed about the formation, and the sad reality, is? we have not bought well. If everyone looks at the time lapse from when we bought Herrera and shaw, our signings came in the last 2 days of the summer window. I look at Rodgers he saw a problem with certain players, dropped them, switched the system around they're best striker has got fit again. United seem to have bought reputations with managers and players who have come here at the wrong time

Kostur

海尔的老板
One thing I will say is that Liverpool and Arsenal both have tough games at the weekend. Arsenal will probably win, but if they draw and Liverpool also draw/lose to City, then (providing we win), we could be 2 points ahead of Arsenal and 4-5 points ahead of Liverpool (our GD really means 4.5 or 5.5 points ahead). So, despite this weekend being shit from almost every aspect, there are positives if you want to look for them.
Somebody report Glaston for having second account.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I don't really think there was a better or worse result today in the Liverpool game. I've been expecting Southampton to fall away at any time, and they never do. They have a very solid defence, and were undone today by an unstoppable wondergoal and an unfortunate slip from a largely inexperienced player. I thought they were the better side today, and I don't expect them to slip away like West Ham have. They will definitely pick up plenty of wins in the next 12 games and keep putting pressure on the top 4. They have a great style of play despite losing today, and I see them as just as much of a threat as Liverpool and Spurs.

After a dismal defeat yesterday, to still be in the top 4 at the end of the weekend is pretty good really. We just need to keep doing that, regardless of what happens us around us.

Oneunited26

I don't really think there was a better or worse result today in the Liverpool game. I've been expecting Southampton to fall away at any time, and they never do. They have a very solid defence, and were undone today by an unstoppable wondergoal and an unfortunate slip from a largely inexperienced player. I thought they were the better side today, and I don't expect them to slip away like West Ham have. They will definitely pick up plenty of wins in the next 12 games and keep putting pressure on the top 4. They have a great style of play despite losing today, and I see them as just as much of a threat as Liverpool and Spurs.

After a dismal defeat yesterday, to still be in the top 4 at the end of the weekend is pretty good really. We just need to keep doing that, regardless of what happens us around us.
Our away form is worse than 2011, and that is an achievement in itself, and we are just getting by at old Trafford. I just don't see us making the top 4, if a poor swansea side can do the double over us, any half decent side could beat us. We will not make the top 4, if our away from continues, I can see 6th or 7th again. Especially when we have players relying on reputations than form

wr8_utd

:'(
We can't beat anyone at all away. And plus Liverpool always raise their game against us and they're anyway in good form. A draw at Anfield would be amazing really.

Oneunited26

We can't beat anyone at all away. And plus Liverpool always raise their game against us and they're anyway in good form. A draw at Anfield would be amazing really.
Yea hahaha swansea done the double over us, swansea of all teams. I wonder how many wins we have had away from home? Oh yes another stat, van gaal has never won a game from a losing position in the PL home and away, and people expect we can make the top 4

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
I am not sure we are predictable at the moment :lol:
A lot of talk here that a good team will smash us when we play like that etc..
But it was the same in the first half and then we got a point against Chelsea, smashed Pool and managed somehow to win at Arsenal and Southampton despite playing shit. I can see us getting smashed against a very good side but I wouldn't be shocked if we get 3 points at Anfield. I think we will surprise some people in the big games.
2 of our 3 away wins were against Arsenal and Southampton, just saying^^

Oneunited26

I am not sure we are predictable at the moment :lol:
A lot of talk here that a good team will smash us when we play like that etc..
But it was the same in the first half and then we got a point against Chelsea, smashed Pool and managed somehow to win at Arsenal and Southampton despite playing shit. I can see us getting smashed against a very good side but I wouldn't be shocked if we get 3 points at Anfield. I think we will surprise some people in the big games.
The problem is not getting destroyed by top teams, the problem is? We do not recover games and win them, it is crucial under the current United team we score the first goal, or we don't win. If we go into percentages, I say 80% of teams will take points off United away from home

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
No need to panic. Next up, we need to beat Sunderland and City to beat Liverpool. Don't look further than that.
Indeed. And I think City will beat them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.