Cancel Culture

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

The donors, both prominent and deep-pocketed, are Nicholas F. Brady, a former U.S. Treasury secretary under Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush, and Charles B. Johnson, a mutual fund billionaire and leading Republican donor who in 2013 made a $250 million donation to Yale — the largest gift in its history.

Days after the 2020 presidential election, Professor Gage said, an opinion article in The New York Times by another instructor in the program calling Donald J. Trump a demagogue who threatened the Constitution prompted complaints from Mr. Brady.
Four months of wrangling over the program later, Professor Gage resigned after the university administration informed her that a new advisory board it was creating to help oversee the course under previously ignored bylaws would be dominated by conservative figures of the donors’ choosing, including, against her strong objections, Henry A. Kissinger, the former secretary of state under President Richard M. Nixon.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

prof plays a film with blackface in it. annoyed (white) student writes angry screed with a list of grievances absolutely 100% unrelated to the video or racism generally. then another prof tags funding agencies in a twitter thread about it!

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

prof plays a film with blackface in it. annoyed (white) student writes angry screed with a list of grievances absolutely 100% unrelated to the video or racism generally. then another prof tags funding agencies in a twitter thread about it!
This seems so bizarre that surely this isn't the whole story? :nervous:

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Conservatives weaponized the terms "woke", "CRT", "cancel culture" to try to shut down any argument they don't like. The truth is, everydoy tries to cancel opinions they don't like, it always existed and always will.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Conservatives weaponized the terms "woke", "CRT", "cancel culture" to try to shut down any argument they don't like. The truth is, everydoy tries to cancel opinions they don't like, it always existed and always will.
I don't like your opinion

caid

Its just a new term for blacklisting. I presume to make it seem a new phenomenon that needs to be resisted as opposed to a standard of any community or society

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Meh, does it actually exist ? Surely it's the rule of market forces that the right have been decades angling for. The social networks blocking Trump was just them protecting their brand.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
I find cancel culture is alive and well on twitter at a time were it has been largely blunted on the caf.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I actually think the whole cancel culture debate is meant to be about something else, which is "mob activity" to get someone fired or deplatformed. And often this has no results so it looks like nobody really got cancelled.

I also think most of the outrage about cancel culture isn't concerning celebrities, but ordinary workers getting fired.

NBC 7 spoke to the man who originally posted the picture on Twitter. He has since deleted his account and said he may have gotten "spun up" about the interaction and misinterpreted it. He says he never intended for Cafferty to lose his job.
https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/lo...esture-says-he-was-cracking-knuckles/2347414/

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Some young wan off Love Island called Molly Mae currently getting the sack-cloth and ashes treatment from the righteous online.

This is the best tweet I’ve seen about it.

Not familiar so I googled and most of the right wing press are doing this as a 'kids today don't know they're born' story over her not fancying a 12 hour shift but there's also a Sky News one about her being criticised for 'Thatcherite' views, so you get the choice of either being wound up by her being a lazy millennial (I know she's Gen Z) snowflake or up in arms at her being unfairly cancelled for her conservative views.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not familiar so I googled and most of the right wing press are doing this as a 'kids today don't know they're born' story over her not fancying a 12 hour shift but there's also a Sky News one about her being criticised for 'Thatcherite' views, so you get the choice of either being wound up by her being a lazy millennial (I know she's Gen Z) snowflake or up in arms at her being unfairly cancelled for her conservative views.
Third option is distaste at ferocious online bullying of a young(ish) kid who said something silly.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Third option is distaste at ferocious online bullying of a young(ish) kid who said something silly.
Seems to be some issue with her workers (or those of the company she works for) getting paid £3.50 an hour.

2cents

Scout
If so, the company deserves criticism. Employees shouldn’t be personally attacked like that. There’s zero chance she has any input into salary structures.
Yeah I agree, I think it’s just the juxtaposition of that fact and her comments that have gone sone way to provoking it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah I agree, I think it’s just the juxtaposition of that fact and her comments that have gone sone way to provoking it.
It’s so depressing that we see so much bullying like this from people whose politics are ostensibly compassionate. Comments from years ago, or details about the company they work for are weaponised to whip up an army of people making hateful comments. Yuk.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Well what did she actually say? I'm not googling any of this shit.

2cents

Scout
Well what did she actually say? I'm not googling any of this shit.
Basically that the key to success is hard work, and peoples’ socio-economic background shouldn’t stand in the way.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Basically that the key to success is hard work, and peoples’ socio-economic background shouldn’t stand in the way.
The American dream. Shows how well the propaganda machine still works! Loads of American celebs always bang on about the same thing, though admittedly not as many of her age, usually a bit older.