Cancel Culture

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
That Molly Maes house was broken into recently and close to a million pounds worth of stuff was stolen.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
"Away from social media, users of Wikipedia edited Hague's entry to name her "Molly-Mae Thatcher", changing part of her entry to say she is best known "for having worked harder than anyone less successful than her".

The changes have since been removed."

Wolverine

To be fair, the key to success is hard work... and lots of luck
Yup

To be fair I don't think many commenting on her comments want her cancelled. Do feel for anyone caught up in an online storm. Because those kind of banal aspiration, hustling thinking is prominent in influencer/girlboss spaces.

But probably many saw her comments as a chance to push back against the Tony Robbins motivational-speaking, life coaching kind of thinking that doesn't take into account privilege, class, inequalitys, systemic disadvantages etc. Agree though people should be wary of others in stuff like this for all the reasons Jon Ronson says.

Twitter is basically this though

And once you realise that and decouple your way of thinking from that, it prevents you from succumbing to poster's brain

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The American dream. Shows how well the propaganda machine still works! Loads of American celebs always bang on about the same thing, though admittedly not as many of her age, usually a bit older.
Privilege + hard work is obviously a hell of a lot more likely to bring you success than hard work alone. But that doesn’t make the statement that hard work is an important part of success any less true. Certainly not an opinion you should be crucified over.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yup

To be fair I don't think many commenting on her comments want her cancelled. Do feel for anyone caught up in an online storm. Because those kind of banal aspiration, hustling thinking is prominent in influencer/girlboss spaces.

But probably many saw her comments as a chance to push back against the Tony Robbins motivational-speaking, life coaching kind of thinking that doesn't take into account privilege, class, inequalitys, systemic disadvantages etc. Agree though people should be wary of others in stuff like this for all the reasons Jon Ronson says.

Twitter is basically this though

And once you realise that and decouple your way of thinking from that, it prevents you from succumbing to poster's brain
That’s a great tweet.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Privilege + hard work is obviously a hell of a lot more likely to bring you success than hard work alone. But that doesn’t make the statement that hard work is an important part of success any less true. Certainly not an opinion you should be crucified over.
She was mostly crucified because she added "everyone has the same 24 hours in a day to achieve" as if people who don't get reach don't do enough in these 24 hours.

I will always fight against online bullying, insults etc. I think I never wrote online something i wouldn't have said to the persons face. Obviously some of the comment are way over the top (maybe abusive even if i didn't take the time to read all of them). But it's normal, in my opinion, to take a lot of backlash when you say something stupid if you live by your internet presence. She's an influencer, her audience is huge, of course it'll trigger a lot of people.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The paradoxical nature of being successful also amazes me, because you have to put yourself out there to gain traction, but then you have to be careful what you say and do, to avoid being cancelled. it defeats itself.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
The paradoxical nature of being successful also amazes me, because you have to put yourself out there to gain traction, but then you have to be careful what you say and do, to avoid being cancelled. it defeats itself.
Or you can just say "i was lucky to have the opportunity to be in a successful tv program, then I had to work very hard to turn this into a more successufl carreer" and nobody will bat an eyelid.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I'm assuming nobody is quibbling over hard work being important mate. But my cleaner has 3 jobs, I have 1, I don't think she earns more than I do...I think she was born in Medellin and me Worsley.

NotThatSoph

She was mostly crucified because she added "everyone has the same 24 hours in a day to achieve" as if people who don't get reach don't do enough in these 24 hours.

I will always fight against online bullying, insults etc. I think I never wrote online something i wouldn't have said to the persons face. Obviously some of the comment are way over the top (maybe abusive even if i didn't take the time to read all of them). But it's normal, in my opinion, to take a lot of backlash when you say something stupid if you live by your internet presence. She's an influencer, her audience is huge, of course it'll trigger a lot of people.
She's only got three days to live, someone should call an ambulance. (I'm not being serious, it's just a funny word.)

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
We aren’t seriously defending her are we. She’s an idiot with idiotic views.

nimic

something nice
Scout
This is disingenuous. Hers was clearly not just a statement "that hard work is an important part of success", which you're implying is what she's being "crucified" over.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
She's being rightly ridiculed over saying extremely stupid / malicious tory crap. Feck her. Chat shit get banged. You can always chose to have an anonymous career like the rest of us layabouts who are too lazy to make duckfaces on instagram. Much less chance of being "cancelled".

Last edited:

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
If your business model is designed in order to have the biggest amount of people possible reacting to your social media posts, you're going to get a lot of reactions if you say something stupid, it's that simple and you can't have it both ways.

Now it doesn't mean that it can't be civil and polite, and in now way should it be insults or threats, but when you're a social media "influencer", bad reactions WILL pile on. It's the content of the messages that should be blamed, not the fact that she gets thousands of them.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Pffftt... Deja vu. Amazing how people pick and choose what 'cancelling' attempt they get animated over.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Millennial snowflakes and their cancel culture will be the end of free speech

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I like how republicans want less government, but also more government interference into the curriculum of schools. Schrodingers libertarian.

I know it's not really similar, feck you.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Millennial snowflakes and their cancel culture will be the end of free speech

Being a teacher myself, every fibre of my body hurts reading that.

“Parents can opt out their child from any part of the curriculum and the teacher will have to provide a different lesson plan for that child” and “parental review”.

Lunatics

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I like how republicans want less government, but also more government interference into the curriculum of schools. Schrodingers libertarian.

I know it's not really similar, feck you.
My prediction is they will spin this as parents back control of education from out of control government bureaucrats and they'll pretend they the Nazi thing is just liberal snowflake make-believe

Can't remember all of them, but bills like this have been written/passed in Fl, Texas, Wisconsin, Indiana, and more.
This bill is from Indiana (Indiana Senate Bill 167).

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
That’s that right wing nut job bill from Indiana, isn’t it? Any right wing teacher there that supports that can enjoy the class sizes they have due to the exodus of folks from the profession. I was glad to see the state senator supporting the bill called out on it yesterday.
But this is just including parents in the education of their children. Won't someone think of the parents?

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Currently in Portugal there's a case in court about 2 kids whose parents decided to withdraw them from a mandatory class called "Citizenship and Development". In this class kids learn about a lot of stuff, from human rights to road safety, from financial literacy to volunteer work... really a bunch of very different stuff but very useful for kids in my opinion. Two of the sections are gender equality and sexuality, which made these parents go crazy.

According to the rules they can't pass the year without attending these classes (they don't have evaluation, kids just have to attend and complete a few group tasks which are very basic) and currently a court said they should progress in order to attend other subjects while the case is in court, but the portuguese state hasn't backed down and they really want the kids to either go the class or not progress to the next grade.

On the one hand I feel sorry for the kids (they're 12 and 14), who by all accounts are very good students, but on the other hand I really hope the state wins the case, otherwise the right wing nuts will just remove their children from this class.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
i think online political cancellations suck, but today i'm watching the kpop stans go at it and they're on a different level in viciousness and directness.

leads directly to:

Another guy (who has gone private) got this:

for saying that the kpop guy will age one day.