Cancel Culture

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Cancel culture?

Saw this post on a local neighborhood app. Someone suggested the local university is removing this statue of the mascot, a Matador, for being "racist" because of this photo. Cue all the triggered masses.

Some comments from the thread:
"when cancel culture hits the universities, truth becomes subjective and history becomes a tool used to actively change a distasteful past into a false, but kinder, more gentle, and less embarrassing narrative of what truly occurred."

"Our poor kids are no longer allowed to enjoy a carefree childhood before they have to pick which sex they want to be, worry about saving the planet before they are 10 or they won’t live to be 20. They see people removing statues of people in our history that they’ve never learned about because accurate history is no longer taught in schools. They are taught that skin color is everything and determines how successful you will be in life. Sad!"

"Poor babies. Not enough cuddling at home? No self-esteem or confidence lessons from parents? No “stick n stones…”? No mental strength to overcome? When they come after you I’ll remind you (all) you asked for it. Everyone gets their turn to rise but you wimps need hand-holding for everything-even where and how to shop."

"This is how all totalitarian revolutions start. At first it’s minor silly changes that aren’t worth fighting.. but as time goes on the restrictions and their justifications start to compound on one another. So you don’t care about this statue, but what do you care about and what are you willing to defend…and how would you defend it? Now is the time to start drawing red lines in your mind. Because if you think they’ll stop at statues, you’re being very naive. You’ve been warned."

"A lot of children born after 1980 were raised getting trophies for just showing up. This is a form of limiting a child and they are “held back” in life. No pain no gain."

"The pollination is getting dummer by the minute, hie is this statue racist. We are heading to communism and people don’t realize it, I feel sorry"

Then we get to
"I contacted the university and asked their media department if they knew about this. They did some checking and have just confirmed back to me. This is work being done to install more ‘named’ bricks for those that made donations in support of the university."

Now I wonder how many people are going to repeat that "woke liberals cancel matadors because they are racist" because of this information. OP there was probably a conservative trying to spread misinformation.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Without meaning offence, you clearly don’t understand the issue that you’re talking about here (or are being wilfully ignorant due to you possibly being a covert racist), and going ‘round in circles in such conversations is truly exhausting!

We’ll agree to disagree.
I always feel kinda special when people tell me my skin looks like milk chocolate. I don't think that's such a terrible thing. :nervous:

Simbo

When did this crazy cancel culture start becoming a thing anyway? Like 200,000 years ago? ...Give or take?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
When did this crazy cancel culture start becoming a thing anyway? Like 200,000 years ago? ...Give or take?
Depends on how you define it. I define modern cancel culture as being a overreaction to something faily innocuous.

Abizzz

Depends on how you define it. I define modern cancel culture as being a overreaction to something faily innocuous.
Wasn't the old testament so full of overreactions they decided to make up a new one?

Tarrou

Cancel Culture always existed, but nobody cared about who was getting cancelled

Since everyone’s fair game now they needed a name for it

Gehrman

Cancel Culture always existed, but nobody cared about who was getting cancelled

Since everyone’s fair game now they needed a name for it
It's also because we live in liberal societies. Which is a rather new thing and hard won.

Maticmaker

Cancel culture is for the individual the 21st century version of pillorying, or being condemned to the stocks, but it is more long lasting and distasteful because once given a platform on the internet, it has the potential to stay forever. For historical figures/events it is extremely dangerous, we may even see a day where historical context gets so confused that the "Heil Hitler' straight arm salute becomes accepted as a virtue-signalling action of its day... we apply modern day values to history, at our peril.

Gehrman

Wasn't the old testament so full of overreactions they decided to make up a new one?
The point is that we live in modern democratic liberal societies where i would argue real liberals value freedom of speech and freedom of conscience. The instinct of censorship is nothing new, but there is historical reasons why we dont appreciate little totalitarians anymore.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Who the feck are Spiked, and why are we quoting them so much? Here are some more brilliant headlines:

Has the NHS gone woke?

Why vaccine passports are a terrible idea

How the Guardian became the Pravda of the trans movement

How 9/11 exposed the depths of Western self-loathing

The transgender delusion

Why is Simone Biles being celebrated for quitting at the Olympics?

Will the climate alarmists ever calm down?

What a rag.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Who the feck are Spiked, and why are we quoting them so much? Here are some more brilliant headlines:

Has the NHS gone woke?

Why vaccine passports are a terrible idea

How the Guardian became the Pravda of the trans movement

How 9/11 exposed the depths of Western self-loathing

The transgender delusion

Why is Simone Biles being celebrated for quitting at the Olympics?

Will the climate alarmists ever calm down?

What a rag.
ex-Trotskyites who have discovered the true enemy is Stalinism leftism Corbynism wokeism

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I mean, regardless of who the hell Spiked are, what does the Caf say about the actual book burning? You agree with it?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I mean, regardless of who the hell Spiked are, what does the Caf say about the actual book burning? You agree with it?
To be clear the school board in question is a Catholic school board. Our public school system has secular and catholic schools, each with their own boards and curriculums. They probably think TinTin is a homosexual.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Book burning is a stupid activity and generally reflects ignorance mixed with sensationalism even if the books being burned are generally not good books.

Tarrou

the caf rarely has a strong consensus on any issue it seems

but I'd be amazed if even 5% agreed with that shit

NotThatSoph

the caf rarely has a strong consensus on any issue it seems

but I'd be amazed if even 5% agreed with that shit
In my edgy teens I burned a Bible. It was mildly entertaining but I don't think it achieved much. We also blew up a mailbox with a caustic soda + aluminum mix, unsure if that was related. We then had to call my dad because one of my idiot friends spilled it on his hands and panicked.

Gehrman

Spiked blocked me since I posted it, I have no idea how since I never interacted with any of their posts on twitter at all.

:lol:

His radical feminism landed him in TERF territory unfortunately, problematic :(
There might be something to it.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Well, if we are going to embrace Cancel Culture we might just send the whole royalty into a shooting squad, since they are the descendants of people who did despicable tings, bla bla bla