Cancel Culture

Superden

I know this isn't really a topic for this thread entirely, but I'm not making a new one.

Alt-right twitter in The Netherlands is trying cancel sunscreen with the #sunscreenfree hashtag implying that it's all a big pharma hoax and that your skin can handle sunlight just fine as long as you let your skin "get used to it" in spring and gradually increase exposure to it. Is this an international thing or is this particular bit of feckwittery confined to my dumb country?

I mean, at what point do you throw people in jail, because they urge their brainless followers to expose their small children to direct sunlight without sunscreen?
but how can they bear to be outside, what with all the chemtrails?

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I know this isn't really a topic for this thread entirely, but I'm not making a new one.

Alt-right twitter in The Netherlands is trying cancel sunscreen with the #sunscreenfree hashtag implying that it's all a big pharma hoax and that your skin can handle sunlight just fine as long as you let your skin "get used to it" in spring and gradually increase exposure to it. Is this an international thing or is this particular bit of feckwittery confined to my dumb country?

I mean, at what point do you throw people in jail, because they urge their brainless followers to expose their small children to direct sunlight without sunscreen?
In portugal they're still hungover from all the parties after the abortion decision in the us, but it wouldn't surprise me to see it in the next few days. The vaccines crowd will love it.

Mike Smalling

Irish comic who got cancelled to feck a few years ago gingerly trying to get his career back on track.
Never heard about him, but seems fair enough for him to give it another go. These kinds of judgements in the court of public opinion shouldn't be for life in any case. If Louis C.K., Aziz Ansari and the like can make a comeback, so can he.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Never heard about him, but seems fair enough for him to give it another go. These kinds of judgements in the court of public opinion shouldn't be for life in any case. If Louis C.K., Aziz Ansari and the like can make a comeback, so can he.
Yeah he definitely deserved a second chance. His career’s been completely derailed for a very long time though. Something that was well underway long before he had an opportunity to defend himself. You can imagine what this could have done to someone who is in any way vulnerable.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Think she went a little off script here. No doubt she will be cancelled by the anti-cancel crusaders in very short order…

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
The exact people who claim to detest cancel culture and 'wokeism' are in their droves calling for Trevor Sinclair to get the sack right now.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
In a deleted tweet he said something along the lines of "Why would any black or brown people be expected to mourn the queen?"
This is different though, it’s the queen. This means more...

hobbers

The exact people who claim to detest cancel culture and 'wokeism' are in their droves calling for Trevor Sinclair to get the sack right now.
Free to speak but not free from consequence, that's the usual line in these situations.

Jericholyte2

Free to speak but not free from consequence, that's the usual line in these situations.
Free to speak, but not free from scrutiny should be a more fair assessment. (FYI I wouldn't sack him or want him 'cancelled')

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I wouldn’t sack him for it, but people have been fired for less. Then they usually end up at talksport anyway.

He’s still a massive helmet though.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They should sack him for being clueless about everything he talks about. He’s just a smidge better than Agbonlahor

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Taken off air now:

And of course the Mail/Express comments are exactly what you'd expect:

All no doubt anti-cancel culture right up to the second that somebody says something that they don't like. cnuts.

For what it's worth I wish the thought police on both the right and the left would feck off, but I think I'm in a very small minority. :lol:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Carolina Red

Staff
So, I knew that Dr. Suess made massively racist propaganda cartoons and the like during World War 2, but what I didn’t learn till today was that he also cheated on his 1st wife after she’d been stricken with Guillen-Barre syndrome and cancer, driving her into such a dark depression that she committed suicide… after which, he married his mistress.

How the hell hasn’t he been cancelled yet?

Chief123

Taken off air now:

And of course the Mail/Express comments are exactly what you'd expect:

All no doubt anti-cancel culture right up to the second that somebody says something that they don't like. cnuts.

For what it's worth I wish the thought police on both the right and the left would feck off, but I think I'm in a very small minority. :lol:
They got rid of Sinclair and brought in Souness! :lol:

I can imagine the meeting regarding finding his replacement. “Guys, we’ve lost a really valuable Cnut in this facade. Which high calibre Cnut can we get to replace him?”

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So...Whoopi Goldberg doubling down on her initial comments?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
It's almost like there's no such thing as cancel culture really isn't it?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
everyone from desantis to nyt to the dsa support censorship. The difference is how open they are about it, what language they use for it, and what their cultural impact is (which decides how much and where they can convince people they are Good/anti-censorship/etc)

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Parents rights :) (when the kids are trans and parents don't like it)

Parents wrong! (when parents want their kids to learn)

Unironically - if the GOP tells you that the sky is blue, the best thing to do is to spend 50m and 5 years verifying that it is, before joining their side of the sky colour debate. The "liberal" parents who want to join conservative lawsuits over trans issues are just a part of this bigoted censorship machine.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Parents rights :) (when the kids are trans and parents don't like it)

Parents wrong! (when parents want their kids to learn)

Unironically - if the GOP tells you that the sky is blue, the best thing to do is to spend 50m and 5 years verifying that it is, before joining their side of the sky colour debate. The "liberal" parents who want to join conservative lawsuits over trans issues are just a part of this bigoted censorship machine.
It’s difficult to describe how 180 this shift in New College policy is. It was an absolute liberal bastion & offensive only to the performative, manufactured outrage right wing. This had to have been the number one scalp for DeSantis et al once he was re-elected.

But nothing will happen to Ave Maria U. just a few more miles down the Tamiami Trail. Ave is what the Hillsdale, etc. kooks want to make institutions of higher learning in this country become.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
It’s difficult to describe how 180 this shift in New College policy is. It was an absolute liberal bastion & offensive only to the performative, manufactured outrage right wing. This had to have been the number one scalp for DeSantis et al once he was re-elected.

But nothing will happen to Ave Maria U. just a few more miles down the Tamiami Trail. Ave is what the Hillsdale, etc. kooks want to make institutions of higher learning in this country become.
the original prophecy, never wrong:

there are no good republicans

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

As ever, the right defends the classical liberal value of free speech from the censorious left mob :)