Captaincy…

R'hllor

Smalling was on his way out, Young was the previous captain and being phased out. DDG's form was up and down at the time, I remember he was making some pretty horrendous mistakes. I'm not a fan of the decision either but he was the best choice at the time, given that he was also a leader at Leicester and the NT. The problem is that he should have taken decisive action after the Greece incident, or when Ronaldo came in.
No he wasnt, its a joke of a decision, like i said, anyone with little bit standing is better option than someone who just joined, DDG up and down was still better, at least he has some history of up and down with us, actually dont remember anything similar that happened before in any other big club, Ole went full take a shit on DNA.

mu4c_20le

No he wasnt, its a joke of a decision, like i said, anyone with little bit standing is better option than someone who just joined, DDG up and down was still better, at least he has some history of up and down with us, actually dont remember anything similar that happened before in any other big club, Ole went full take a shit on DNA.
DDG needed to focus on re-finding his form at the time, the captaincy would have been a distraction and created even more unnecessary pressure. Maguire was fine in his first year, he was solid, and we played some of our best football post SAF. Martial and Rashford had the best seasons of their careers. I still firmly believe that the Greece incident took a big hit on Maguire's confidence, and he was never quite the same after that.

R'hllor

DDG needed to focus on re-finding his form at the time, the captaincy would have been a distraction and created even more unnecessary pressure. Maguire was fine in his first year, he was solid, and we played some of our best football post SAF. Martial and Rashford had the best seasons of their careers. I still firmly believe that the Greece incident took a big hit on Maguire's confidence, and he was never quite the same after that.
Dont care about his performances before or after, he did feck all to get it, its a joke decision, Ole made it and thats the best part.

Lyng

Rashford would have been a better decision. It was Maguire's first season. He had done nothing to warrant a captaincy.
The best thing for the team would be to take it of him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ten Hag on the captaincy
"Harry Maguire is the captain. He's an established captain, he's achieved a lot of success, so I don't doubt this issue."

Nero

It was never gonna be anyone else. More trouble than it's worth, media would have manufactured a shitstorm.

kps88

This was the smart choice. No other obvious options and he anyway hasn't spent enough time with the squad to judge either way.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Why do none of the thickos who follow Goldbridge, or even some of you lot here, not understand that ten Hag has to work with the players he has for the time being? He can't buy 10 players in one summer.

If you become a senior manager at a new company, you don't immediately fire your team leader etc. You need to get people on board. There is no better way than showing a desire to work with and improve current staff.

It could well be that Maguire wouldn't be ten Hag's first choice in a vacuum. In fact I'm sure he isn't. But it is the smart choice for the time being.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's impossible to say what the right thing to do with the captaincy is without actually knowing the dressing room dynamics, because that's the only regard in which it really matters. ETH is better placed than us to know so if he's happy to stick with Maguire then I couldn't care any less.

Pronewbie

Peep
Either means that Martinez isn't joining, or Maguire will naturally lose his captaincy simply by lack of playing time. Either way it's clear to me from last season that Maguire isn't captain material. Then again no one else is.

Either means that Martinez isn't joining, or Maguire will naturally lose his captaincy simply by lack of playing time. Either way it's clear to me from last season that Maguire isn't captain material. Then again no one else is.
I think this is more likely, just because he’s captain it doesn’t mean he’s guaranteed to start. I’d like to think ETH is more shrewd than that.

romufc

I love these sorts of posts.

They make it seem like they are the ones taking training, talking to these players to know who is and isn't captaincy material.

Its quite clear that Ole thought he was a leader so had him as captain, it is also clear that Southgate thinks he is a leader for England.

Now ETH giving him captaincy.

Hmm professionals must not know anything.

DickDastardly

It's impossible to say what the right thing to do with the captaincy is without actually knowing the dressing room dynamics, because that's the only regard in which it really matters. ETH is better placed than us to know so if he's happy to stick with Maguire then I couldn't care any less.
Yep.

Too early for him to start dissolving player dynamics.

Keep the boat steady for as long as possible and make small changes in course.

I'm pretty confident that Harry won't be a starting player in a couple of months, let alone the captain.

OL29

Why do none of the thickos who follow Goldbridge, or even some of you lot here, not understand that ten Hag has to work with the players he has for the time being? He can't buy 10 players in one summer.
what is this recent obsession on the caf with Goldbridge? He gets mentioned in every thread, usually by people accusing others of being one of his followers. It seems to be his detractors that make him more relevant than he would be otherwise.

padzilla

Hipster
It's the sensible choice. Taking the captaincy off him would probably demoralise Maguire and it's not like there are any realistic alternatives right now.

Ralph1386

He's a coach talking positively about one of his players. He's not gonna call him an underachieving waste of space.
Of course not. But saying he’s achieved a lot of success when the whole world knows that he hasn’t, isn’t the most credible way to “talk positively” about him. He could just say that Maguire has a lot of qualities and he can achieve more with those qualities.

romufc

what is this recent obsession on the caf with Goldbridge? He gets mentioned in every thread, usually by people accusing others of being one of his followers. It seems to be his detractors that make him more relevant than he would be otherwise.
Because its all over socials, he is an absolute tool. He feeds fans negativity and narratives.

JB7

Because its all over socials, he is an absolute tool. He feeds fans negativity and narratives.
Plus his platform seems to have increased of late with him now being given airtime on Talksport.

romufc

Plus his platform seems to have increased of late with him now being given airtime on Talksport.
New season, new manager, same narratives.

Apparently the club decide who plays, who's captain when it doesnt suit his views.

If the coach does something that doesn't suit his narrative, the coach is making decisions and is hard.

Like Maguire, I went to see his tweet and he has lost his shit.

Crashoutcassius

Can we call out the journos who wrote fake stories now that we know they are fake? These idiots have no accountability. They get all the fans all riled up for months and months with nothing to back it up

Lyng

With Ronaldo's recent antics this is the only possible decision. I still have a very hard time seing Maguire succeed in a Ten Hag system, but if he proves me wrong thats fantastic.
Either way this is the right choice with the situation as it is.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
This is a not so good decision he's made, I suspect the club has forced this on him?