Captaincy…

TrueRed79

I don't see a problem here. If we are shite next season, it's not because of who he picked as captain that would be the issue. Maguire has done nothing to deserve being captain of Utd. Probably our worst ever, but this decision just means he isn't rocking the boat too much. Understandable decision.

OL29

I think you underestimate how influencial the media is in the average fan's opinions. He probably has a point. I literally had a poster respond to me last season with something along the the lines of "like Goldbridge said... "
I’m sure there are some fans that are influenced by him, the same way some fans are influenced by Gary Neville or other prominent people in the media but when people insinuate that anyone that holds an opposing view to theirs is some kind of Goldbridge Stan. It pops up in so many threads and kills any reasonable debate.

Morpheus 7

Who would you switch the captaincy too if you had the choice?
Well I wouldn't have committed to any decision until I spent real time with the players, committing now will leave himself open later. Looks the weak move, pressure from club and players, not rocking the boat. Theses cnuts shouldn't be taking anything for granted after last year. Should be earned, not just handed out. The British press well be overjoyed with the news, bluffer will be found out. He's too slow on the ball playing out from the back.

I'd have waited to after pre season for a decision, would've alternated in games to see the response of the players. Even waiting a month in to season, I wanted a real authoritarian in charge. Time will tell I suppose, just to end. Harry Maguire has been a coward of a captain, evading responsibility and deflecting blame. Rival fans are laughing for a reason.

padzilla

Hipster
The best way to handle underperforming players is to boost their confidence until you have someone who can replace them.

Look at Pep saying Claudio Bravo was the best keeper in the world when he was making mistake after mistake, then he went that summer and bought Ederson and Bravo was dropped.

It's better man management to keep people onside rather than go round and create confrontations for the sake of it.

Reactions: Invictus

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Trust me I get that, but I don't think ETH see's it as pressing at the moment.
Were looking for a backup keeper on a freebie but willing to lump money on a new CB.

Either way, Harry and success... he's already being torn a new one across social media.
Next season isnt at the moment and DDG doesnt have a new contract

phelans shorts

Trust me I get that, but I don't think ETH see's it as pressing at the moment.
Were looking for a backup keeper on a freebie but willing to lump money on a new CB.

Either way, Harry and success... he's already being torn a new one across social media.
And what bit of difference does that make?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Imagine a captain rolling on the floor after the slightest touch while his team is under pressure. Yeah, that's Bruno as captain.

led_scholes

For a club that cares alot about its image and pr, I find it weird that we are insisting with the biggest football meme player.

I guess the marketing team believes bad publicity is still publicity.

Keefy18

And what bit of difference does that make?
Plenty I'd imagine.

Pretty sure the board dis liked RR presser sentiments and how it was portrayed in the media / social media?

Weather we like to admit it or not, press conferences are indeed analyzed by journalists and supporters and indeed the board themselves.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Imagine a captain rolling on the floor after the slightest touch while his team is under pressure. Yeah, that's Bruno as captain.
Exactly. Him, De Gea who doesn't speak on the pitch or Ronaldo who doesn't want to be here.

One thing complaining about it, another coming up with a suitable alternative.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I think you underestimate how influencial the media is in the average fan's opinions. He probably has a point. I literally had a poster respond to me last season with something along the the lines of "like Goldbridge said... "
Peak irony when you spout the opinions of Maguire's media mates time and time again.

A more careful look would tell you that defending captain Relegation is way more biased than wanting a failed Hull CB out of the club.

SER19

Wants to keep him as captain, fine, support the managers call. But those are really weak comments and I'm surprised. It's not the end of the world but there were a million other ways to back the player and suggest a better season than use the word success around the guy who oversaw the worst season and most toxic dressing room ever.

phelans shorts

Plenty I'd imagine.

Pretty sure the board dis liked RR presser sentiments and how it was portrayed in the media / social media?

Weather we like to admit it or not, press conferences are indeed analyzed by journalists and supporters and indeed the board themselves.
What he’s said is the exact opposite of what we’d get from a Ralf press conference who would just lay into our players. Erik has publicly made a statement in support of one of his most senior players and a surefire regular starter.

What folk on Twitter who’s other posts largely consist of saying how much we need Greenwood back say isn’t worth a damn. Erik has made the obvious and correct choice in a footballing sense.

Mcking

Great decision to stick with Maguire. Best CB at the club as well and will start games.

Keefy18

What he’s said is the exact opposite of what we’d get from a Ralf press conference who would just lay into our players. Erik has publicly made a statement in support of one of his most senior players and a surefire regular starter.

What folk on Twitter who’s other posts largely consist of saying how much we need Greenwood back say isn’t worth a damn. Erik has made the obvious and correct choice in a footballing sense.
It is indeed the exact opposite, its gone from one extreme to the other.

We had extreme truths of players not being good enough to tagging the captain as a success.. it is matter of fact, untrue. What has he or the club won to tag him with "success"?

He and the club are being mocked across social media already, its a bad start in terms of press conferences. The clubs a mess and needs good PR as much as is possible right now and the first time you stick your new manager in front of the press he tags the most important player (captain) as a success.

It's not the end of the world as another commentator said above, just a dumb statement.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Peak irony when you spout the opinions of Maguire's media mates time and time again.

A more careful look would tell you that defending captain Relegation is way more biased than wanting a failed Hull CB out of the club.
Time and time again eh? Just one example would be good to hear. And which mate of his said it?

The new manager must agree too. Maybe you were just wrong (again).

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Time and time again eh? Just one example would be good to hear. And which mate of his said it?

The new manager must agree too. Maybe you were just wrong (again).
The guy was given an interview on the BBC after he assaulted a police officer.

If you think Maguire's performances were fairly assessed for a long time before even his mates had to succumb to reality and admit he's woeful, I don't think I can help here.

AFC NimbleThumb

If he doesn’t play well enough to make the first 11 consistently then the captaincy issue resolves itself. Given we’ve no other leaders, & the one we do wants to leave, it’s a non-issue.

It’s partially encouraging that EtH isn’t simply making changes to appease fans unnecessarily. Maguire’s form will dictate his captaincy.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
For a club that cares alot about its image and pr, I find it weird that we are insisting with the biggest football meme player.

I guess the marketing team believes bad publicity is still publicity.
Why should stupid fans opinions impact on what the club is doing?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
FIrst off, I think that whoever wears the armband seems to mean more to the fans than to the players. Leaders are going to lead whether they are wearing the armband or not. I personally think Maguire should have offered up the armband in an attempt to get the fans back on his side. The only thing is, if Maguire isn't captain, then who is? The only candidates are a player that doesn't want to be here anymore, a player who is constantly moaning and a player who never talks and won't be able to talk to the ref in the offensive third. So if not Maguire, then who?

Rajma

He will regret it, imo that’s one of the worst things around us bringing a manger that is willing to give a chance to the players that have proven to be not fit for the purpose, they end up surviving multiple managers when such calls should be made by someone above the incoming manager, seems like it might be a waste of time again

TrustInJanuzaj

1) What?
2 what what?

TrustInJanuzaj

It’s hilarious the hate Maguire gets. Really glad he’s still captain if for no other reason than to wind up the moaners.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Liverpool's captain isn't a regular starter and Man City don't have a captain. It really isn't a big deal.

Lyng

Now after listening to what he actually said I am not so certain we got a definate answer. He simply said Maguire is the captain and he doesnt know the players yet. Not that Maguire will be the captain.
There is a difference.
I still belive, after Ronaldos recent behaviour he should stick with Maguire right now, unless Maguire gets benched of course.

Someone

Something
He's a terrible captain but ETH didn't have enough time to appoint a new one. He can't for example say it's Bruno then changes his mind few months later. So my guess is that he'll stick by Maguire for this season until a new leader emerges.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Now after listening to what he actually said I am not so certain we got a definate answer. He simply said Maguire is the captain and he doesnt know the players yet. Not that Maguire will be the captain.
There is a difference.
I still belive, after Ronaldos recent behaviour he should stick with Maguire right now, unless Maguire gets benched of course.
There aren't any decent options, Maguire obviously included. But he did say that Maguire had been very successful over the last few years and that he's the captain. Hard to read anything out of that other than Maguire being captain for the foreseeable future.

A-man

Ten Hag on the captaincy
"Harry Maguire is the captain. He's an established captain, he's achieved a lot of success, so I don't doubt this issue."
According to Wikipedia:
The only official responsibility of a captain specified by the Laws of the Game is to participate in the coin toss prior to kick-off
Maybe it is all down to us not knowing the stats from all those coin tosses? Maybe he’s one of the greatest at coin tosses ever?

TrustInJanuzaj

It shouldn't.
Then fans need to stop dictating things way above their pay grade. Maguire is enemy number one with a large portion of online fans who want him stripped of the captaincy, dropped, sold etc based on one poor season. Looking at his career that’s much more of an outlier than his previous ones where he’s ranged from good to very good. No surprise the manager is backing him and even less surprised that group of throwing toys out the pram again.

romufc

He's a terrible captain but ETH didn't have enough time to appoint a new one. He can't for example say it's Bruno then changes his mind few months later. So my guess is that he'll stick by Maguire for this season until a new leader emerges.
Yep, you must be inside the dressing room to know he is a terrible captain.

Hypothetically speaking, if Maguire is as terrible as you say as a captain, leaders and senior players would have spoken to Ten Hag about this.

Do you actually think Ten Hag has not had a conversation about this with the players? It was actually also well publicised he will vote.

Yet, after a weeks training, speaking to the players, the manager said he is captain.

If he hadn't have had a chance to appoint a new one, he could have easily said, I did not have enough time and he will look at this.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Everybody should just stay calm. It won't be long before Maguire makes the decision easy for ten Hag. I'll be amazed if he is a starter come January.

led_scholes

Then fans need to stop dictating things way above their pay grade. Maguire is enemy number one with a large portion of online fans who want him stripped of the captaincy, dropped, sold etc based on one poor season. Looking at his career that’s much more of an outlier than his previous ones where he’s ranged from good to very good. No surprise the manager is backing him and even less surprised that group of throwing toys out the pram again.
They want him sold etc because he is the most expensive defender in the world and he has performed average to decent for 2 seasons and awful for one. And I think the fact that he didnt become a captain by virtue has irratated the fan base.

Keefy18

Exactly. Him, De Gea who doesn't speak on the pitch or Ronaldo who doesn't want to be here.

One thing complaining about it, another coming up with a suitable alternative.
This narrative is so bloody lazy.

Iniesta wasn't much of a talker on the pitch, very quiet and humble person yet captained Barca. There's plenty of captains who lead through actions and not words.

It's completely a British thing where a captain is supposed to be like Keane or Adams and screaming murder every 5 mins at everyone, total nonsense.

Revaulx

If he doesn’t play well enough to make the first 11 consistently then the captaincy issue resolves itself. Given we’ve no other leaders, & the one we do wants to leave, it’s a non-issue.

It’s partially encouraging that EtH isn’t simply making changes to appease fans unnecessarily. Maguire’s form will dictate his captaincy.
This. Not just form either; he’ll need to be willing and able to follow ETH’s instructions. If he can’t, or won’t because he thinks he’s too important to, he’ll be benched.

I’m no Maguire fan, but it astounds me how worked up people get at the mention of his name.

TrustInJanuzaj

They want him sold etc because he is the most expensive defender in the world and he has performed average to decent for 2 seasons and awful for one. And I think the fact that he didnt become a captain by virtue has irratated the fan base.
He was made captain by virtue of being the best available candidate at the time and frankly he hasn’t really done anything wrong in that role. His performances last year were poor but so was the wider team so it’s hard to focus on him when he was massively exposed by the settup and those around him. The real reason he’s disliked is because he’s become a ‘meme’ player in online circles. That’s fed into the narrative that he’s actually crap when that’s so far from reality.