Captaincy

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Now that Vidic has confirmed he's leaving at the end of the season, I'd like to see the captaincy change hands to prepare for his departure.

There's numerous candidates and reasons; Rooney as the heartbeat of the team, Van Persie as simply the best player in the team, Jones for the future leader, Evans as a first XI academy product, Rafael (of old form maybe) for his determination and will to win.

Obviously a balance has to be struck between looking to the future and making sure that the present results are up to scratch, so if Vidic is needed as first XI then I think he should keep the captaincy, but otherwise it makes sense for it to change hands.

Who do you think should take the captaincy either this season or next, and who do you think will take it?

Last edited:

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
You have to give captaincy to the guy who is the leader of the group on and off the pitch. A captain is someone you look up to otherwise theres no point in it.

b82REZ

I think Rooney will get it, however I don't want him to. I'd give it to Evans at this stage.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
If Fletcher gets back to a level where he can remain a first-team regular I would give it to him. Otherwise, Rooney if he stays; Evans if he doesn't.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Not as big a deal as many make out but if I was to pick, it would be out of probably Rooney, Evans, Jones etc.

Glanville95

Fletcher. It may be difficult for him to become a mainstay in the team, but he is the most natural leader in the squad when you take Vidic and Evra out of the equation. He's respected by the squad and the young players look up to him, he's not stirred controversy in the past like others, he's at the prime age and he generally warrants it more than anyone else.

I'm not looking at this from a long-term perspective, as Jones and Rafael are potential captain material, but both are too young. No one epitomizes the United mentality and determination to succeed - currently anyway - like Fletcher and he's the one of the few players we can't criticise for under-performing or not showing the correct attitude.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I don't necessarily want it to happen but all the signs point to Rooney.

Although with David Moyes making this decision it could end up being Antonio Valencia

FujiVice

I dont think there is any doubt Wayne Rooney is the next captain. Unless the captaincy is going to be used as some form of golden carrot to attract a bull in centre midfield to join us (Vidal please!)

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Do people really think a new signing would be made captain?

Revan

Assumptionman
If Rooney signs the new contract then he should get it.

If not then I would go for RVP in the short term, while in the long term one of Evans, Jones, Rafael and De Gea (in that order).

Fletch is great but I don't think that he'll be a player that plays most of the games in a season.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Rooney "pass me the armband Vida"

*Vidic pointlessly hoofs the armband into touch*

Seriously though it should be Rooney, like him or not. He's the only one who looks anything like a leader on the pitch. Evans and Fletcher are the only other viable candidates.

Which obviously means Moyes will give it to Carrick, who'll then form the players into a circle formation at the start of every game so each one has another to hide behind.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Give it to Giggsy, he'll probably still be here :D

Seriously though, footballing wise and for experience and longevity at United, it would have to be Rooney. However that's only if he signs a new contract FIRST and decides to stay, because otherwise we'll be changing captaincy again in the summer when he does leave. If he chooses to leave, then with Rio, Vidic, Evra, Giggs all gone, Fletcher probably not being at a level where he can be on the pitch every week, I really don't know.
It is way too soon to give it to Jones, as he's not even shown he has what it takes to be a first team center back for us just yet, let alone our captain. Rafael is still too young and petulant at times, although he's probably farthest along the development line and should be closer to the captaincy then any of our other young players. His only problem is the injuries. Wouldn't give it to a keeper who's only been here for 3 seasons and is only 23, Van Persie has only been here for a season and a half but he's probably more suited to it then anyone else. Then again, he might be off too.
The wingers... ha.
Carrick is old, past it and shouldn't be starting for us anymore either, and he's never been captain material. Still a great squad player to have but he shouldn't be first choice.

Basically our best option for captaincy if Rooney leaves is Van Persie who is in his second season at the club, and after him we'd give it to somebody who hasn't deserved it at all yet and has only been at the club for a few years.

Rooney
Van Persie
Rafael/Fletcher/Evans

Is my order. Nobody else is even close to earning it yet or has been here long enough or is experienced enough.

Edit: Forgot about Evans, he's on the same level as Rafael or Fletcher I think. Both him and Rafael started off their United careers at pretty much the same time, Rafa has 150 club apps while Evans has 170.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
It will most likely be given to Rooney, but I don't want him to be the Captain. What kind of leadership is demonstrated by a guy who slags off his teammates to get a new contract?

Anderson18

Carrick is the only option until Jones is ready. Rooney, RvP could leave this summer too. We lack leaders next summer so give it to Carrick. Not an ideal captain but a great servant for the club

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Definitely not Fletcher. The story, the recovery it's tremendous, so happy for the guy but are our standards that low? He's not exactly been that good since returning, just slightly better than the crap served up by others. And based on recent team selections and substitutions it appears he's not likely to return to being a player who can contribute in pretty much every game. Our last two club captains have been in that position because of injuries and because of it we've not had a real leader on the pitch.

bosnian_red

Carrick is the only option until Jones is ready. Rooney, RvP could leave this summer too. We lack leaders next summer so give it to Carrick. Not an ideal captain but a great servant for the club
See he fits the bill experience wise but he's one of the worst "leader" type players at the club. He has no balls and he shouldn't even be starting next season. We should give it to somebody in their prime who will definitely be staying. Like I said, Rooney if he signs a contract, but if he doesn't then we're in a bit of trouble.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Never gonna happen but hearing how much the players are inspired by Mata, give it to him. In a way, he is a Moyes' man and he can rebuild his new United around him.

But realistically; Rooney (also a Moyes' man).

Siorac

Definitely not Fletcher. The story, the recovery it's tremendous, so happy for the guy but are our standards that low? He's not exactly been that good since returning, just slightly better than the crap served up by others. And based on recent team selections and substitutions it appears he's not likely to return to being a player who can contribute in pretty much every game. Our last two club captains have been in that position because of injuries and because of it we've not had a real leader on the pitch.
Captaincy is a symbolic thing, mostly. Leaders will be leaders without the armband; the reason we haven't had a real leader on the pitch is that we don't have enough leaders in the squad. Carrick, even if he plays 50 games a season with the armband on, will not turn into a leader and neither will, say, Valencia. Evans will probably become a leader anyway, armband or not.

Revan

Assumptionman
Carrick isn't a leader on the pitch. Rooney (although is a bit of a cnut) is by far the biggest leader (and our most influential player). If he stays, the armband is his.

Anderson18

It wasn't even one year ago that Rooney wanted to leave and didn't even celebrate with the team. He could very well be gone this summer. Carrick isn't a captain we all knoe that but for 2 years he could be a short term solution. Not ideal, but better than thinking that either Rooney or RvP are dead certs for the next few years

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Fletcher as the club captain, Evans as the captain when Fletcher isn't playing. Rooney shouldn't even be in considerations for the role.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
RVP:

Footballing intelligence
Fighting spirit
Devotion to perfecting his craft
Exemplary skill
Articulateness

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
At least the shite journalists have a story in the summer...

"Wayne Rooney, furious having been snubbed for the club captaincy, shell shocks Manchester United with THIRD transfer request..."

"Wayne Rooney is willing to commit the rest of his career to Manchester United, but only in a deal involving the club captaincy..."

Read more in today's Beano.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
"Weak Moyes shows United are on the Wayne by making Roo Captain" (F365)
"Moyes' show of strength as wonderboy Wayne takes Captaincy" (Talksport)
"Topless Moyes makes Skippy Captain" (Star)
"Irish thug takes £400k p.w. top job at prestigious English Institution" (Mail)

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
"Weak Moyes shows United are on the Wayne by making Roo Captain" (F365)
"Moyes' show of strength as wonderboy Wayne takes Captaincy" (Talksport)
"Topless Moyes makes Skippy Captain" (Star)
"Irish thug takes £400k top job at prestigious English Institution" (Mail)
:lol:

bosnian_red

It wasn't even one year ago that Rooney wanted to leave and didn't even celebrate with the team. He could very well be gone this summer. Carrick isn't a captain we all knoe that but for 2 years he could be a short term solution. Not ideal, but better than thinking that either Rooney or RvP are dead certs for the next few years
A year ago we were preparing ourselves for a champions league final, being comfortably in first place in the league, had Sir Alex at the helm without any thought that that year would be his last, with Rio, Vidic, Evra all important parts of the team, and Rooney being just a squad player. A lot can change in a year. If Rooney does decide to stay and signs a new contract, then he'll definitely retire here and should get the captaincy. If not, then I think it'll be RVP, or after him one of Rafael or Evans. It needs to be first team players, not given to squad players which is what Carrick and Fletcher will/should be next season.