Captaincy

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
"Weak Moyes shows United are on the Wayne by making Roo Captain" (F365)
"Moyes' show of strength as wonderboy Wayne takes Captaincy" (Talksport)
"Topless Moyes makes Skippy Captain" (Star)
"Irish thug takes £400k p.w. top job at prestigious English Institution" (Mail)
:lol:

Roo-le Mancunia: Fergie's fury as Wayne named captain. (Lipton in the Mirror)

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
:lol:

"Princess Diana anoints Rooney from beyond the Grave" (Express)

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
I personally think it's a joke if Rooney gets it....But thats my opinion!

I hope Fletcher is made club captain...He's an inspiration to everyone, not just the players...And he is what United is all about...A testament to any footballer

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The truth is, as much as we like to speculate none of us know anything about the squad's hierarchy and chemistry.

For all we know, someone like Smalling could be a massive character in the changing room.

I doubt it but the point still stands that we don't have a clue who the natural leader will be.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Ha, yeah like "Cancer cured by Captain in freak Snowstorm". :D

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
What's with the shouts for Fletcher? Great servant to the club, but haven't all United fans pretty much unanimously agreed that he probably isn't (or shouldn't) be a guaranteed starter in our team?

I was resigned to never seeing him play again, or atleast not at the level he's reaching currently. Despite that surprise though, he can continue to be a brilliant servant for the club in the next few years, and play an important role as a squad player.

I expect Rooney.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Alot of people saykng Fletcher should get it which I would 100% agree with if he could hold down a place in our first 11. Unfortunately I dont think he'll be able to play every game. Maybe vice captaincy for him instead.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Reckon long term it'll be Smalling.

But for now, I'd say Rooney if he stays. If not, RVP or Carrick or Fletcher.

bonusroller

'House Prices increase 9.7% in the South East as a result of Rooney becoming captain' (Express or Mail)

Would like to see Phil Jones become a vice skipper. We are losing skipper and vice in 1 summer :(

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
"Topless Moyes gives captaincy to skinny Rooney as Diana would have wanted it!"

Forget trophies or league placings, Moyes is more a legend in my book if this headline happens :lol:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
'House Prices increase 9.7% in the South East as a result of Rooney becoming captain' (Express or Mail)

Would like to see Phil Jones become a vice skipper. We are losing skipper and vice in 1 summer :(
Think it'd do more harm then good giving it to Jones. It's only his 3rd season here and he's only 21 right now. He'd probably think he's made it already, and I could see it really harming his development giving him the captaincy. Sure he's captains material, but he's got to prove it on the pitch for us first, rather then get it because he can fill in at a lot of positions and provide energy.

bonusroller

Think it'd do more harm then good giving it to Jones. It's only his 3rd season here and he's only 21 right now. He'd probably think he's made it already, and I could see it really harming his development giving him the captaincy. Sure he's captains material, but he's got to prove it on the pitch for us first, rather then get it because he can fill in at a lot of positions and provide energy.
Captaincy is too much at this stage, I agree. What about vice captaincy though for when Rooney is out? I guess Fletch is a great shout if he continues his progress back to full fitness.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Not as big a deal as many make out but if I was to pick, it would be out of probably Rooney, Evans, Jones etc.
These days in pro sport the captaincy within the squad isnt as huge a deal as it was in the past in terms of how the team operates and responds. Teams in major sports operate leadership groups and systems which handle all sorts of things. The yanks have been doing this in pro sports for 30 or more years and other sports in the last 15 years have started to adopt those processes.

LR7

Rooney doesn't deserve it but he will get it.
Should be Evans.

Fletcher head and shoulders above everyone else as a leader but I doubt he will be starting every game.

Bojan11

Jesus Christ.

Rio and Evra do go, we do tend to have a lack of leaders in the dressing room. Something you would never really say about us and that criticism had been more labelled at Arsenal over the years.

There's not one standout candidate. Five years ago you could have said Rio, Evra, Vidic, Ronaldo, VDS, Rooney and Fletcher. Then you had the likes of Neville and Giggs. Also add in Brown and O'Shea who'd been at the club a long time.

I don't see Evans as captain. I just see a decent defender, who has a mistake in him every game. Not somebody who is leader. Infact if Wes Brown avoided injuries, I'd rate him ahead of Evans.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Jesus Christ.

Rio and Evra do go, we do tend to have a lack of leaders in the dressing room. Something you would never really say about us and that criticism had been more labelled at Arsenal over the years.

There's not one standout candidate. Five years ago you could have said Rio, Evra, Vidic, Ronaldo, VDS, Rooney and Fletcher. Then you had the likes of Neville and Giggs. Also add in Brown and O'Shea who'd been at the club a long time.

I don't see Evans as captain. I just see a decent defender, who has a mistake in him every game. Not somebody who is leader. Infact if Wes Brown avoided injuries, I'd rate him ahead of Evans.
Brown was a very good but who unfortunately was ruined by injuries like you said. That season we won the double, he was such a consistent RB and defender in general.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
The truth is, as much as we like to speculate none of us know anything about the squad's hierarchy and chemistry.

For all we know, someone like Smalling could be a massive character in the changing room.

I doubt it but the point still stands that we don't have a clue who the natural leader will be.
I guess how they're on the pitch pretty much reflects how they are as persons.

Of course, there are players who change personality when they walk out the tunnel, like say Hughes, but I think that's the minority.

Smalling for Captain? I have my doubts. :)

Nor do I understand these suggestions for Evans, Carrick, De Gea and Rafael. Jones is not the type either, as much as I want him to be. It'll be Rooney and that's OK.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
Tom Thorpe in about 6 years. Rooney now.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The transformation into Rooney United is almost complete...

As I know people get really sensitive about this shit, that isn't a serious post - and I'm fairly indifferent to the prospect of Wayne Rooney as captain, though he wouldn't be my first choice.