g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Captaincy

Varun

Staff
Have said it before. If Rooney's staying, he has to be the captain.

Amir

If Rooney is staying, and he doesn't get it, I think we should be ready for another transfer request. :lol:

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
If it makes Rooney stay, then I guess I'm reluctantly ok with him getting it.

Brophs

The One and Only
Ideally you want someone like Evans, or Carrick or Fletch to do it, as they've always been absolutely loyal to the club and seem to be well respected. But none of them are really leaders in any traditional sense. I'd say Rooney's as close as we've got, so if he is signing a new deal then it probably makes sense, though I can understand how some people mightn't be too happy.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I miss the days of Keane or Schmeicel tearing strips off anyone who dared let their standards drop on the pitch. Always bemused me when people got their knickers in a knot about Berbatov daring to have a go at one of his team-mates when they made a bad decision. A good team needs one or two players who put the fear of god in those around them and won't hesitate to deliver a ferocious bollocking when it's required. Obviously, Berba the disciplinarian was never going to be a long term strategy but a bit more anger on the pitch would make us a better team IMO.

MDFC Manager

I miss the days of Keane or Schmeicel tearing strips off anyone who dared let their standards drop on the pitch. Always bemused me when people got their knickers in a knot about Berbatov daring to have a go at one of his team-mates when they made a bad decision. A good team needs one or two players who put the fear of god in those around them and won't hesitate to deliver a ferocious bollocking when it's required. Obviously, Berba the disciplinarian was never going to be a long term strategy but a bit more anger on the pitch would make us a better team IMO.
Couldnt agree more. The team has been missing a strong vocal on the pitch leader for a while now. This is probably a dying breed in football today but we sure as hell can do with someone stepping up to do this job right now.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Can someone explain why Rooney should get it? I'm pretty sure he will, but I can't see why he would other than as an attempt to placate him.

He's inconsistent, comes in every summer a stone overweight, repeatedly asked to leave and insulted the club, and he has no self-control.

Last edited:

Kaos

Can someone explain why Rooney should get it? I'm pretty sure he will, but I can't see why he would other than as a tempt to placate him.

He's inconsistent, comes in every summer a stone overweight, repeatedly asked to leave and insulted the club, and he has no self-control.
Presumably because Moyes wants to do everything to keep him at the club, which worked very well for Fabregas and RVP when they captained Arsenal.

johnmufc

Rooney, 100%.

So many fans of this club have a weird, irrational hatred of a player who's been at the club for nearly ten seasons, is the club's current most important player, and has been one of the most important players of the club's history. It's perplexing. He's a leader on the pitch, and a spectacular player, the obvious choice.

It's the same repulsive arrogance the Moyes apologists have. That Manchester United are somehow morally superior to every club and thus must back a manager on blind faith alone, rather than conclusive evidence in terms of results or vision to take the club forward. Logic is not the 'United way.'

Likewise, every player must be a robot fan of the club. Players may not consider leaving the club, and must not seek contracts which match their value and importance to the club. Even if he scores 250 goals and becomes the club's record goalscorer, he will not be forgiven by the self-proclaimed morally superior fans of this club. This is a travesty. If this is how he is treated by the fans, perhaps he should leave.

Man-United

Lack of options for me over who should replace Vidic. Can't see any other than Rooney and that would never have been my ideal choice of captain.

gza the genius

Evans should get it, Fletcher/Rafael/Jones/De Gea would be the only other players I would consider giving it to.

I honesty think an injury free Rafael could be our best bet, but unfortunately we can't count on him being injury free still.

PatrickP

If Van Persie is anywhere near the captaincy then I will be fuming.

Bottle job of the highest order. When things a re going wrong I wouldn't want to have to turn to him to inspire the team.

Rooney all day of the week.

Carrick isn't a leader, Jones is to young and needs time to perfect his craft, Fletcher isn't a starter. Giggs is too old, Evans needs to focus on improving his game.

Rafael will be gone in the summer

Varun

Staff

Bottle job of the highest order. When things a re going wrong I wouldn't want to have to turn to him to inspire the team.

Carrick isn't a leader, Jones is to young and needs time to perfect his craft, Fletcher isn't a starter. Giggs is too old, Evans needs to focus on improving his game.

Though, Rooney would be my 1st choice too, RVP a bottle job? He's the one that pulled us to wins last season when things werent going our way. The part in bold is just wrong.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
In an ideal world, Fletcher would be captain. However, we've already gone through a few seasons without having our captain start games so I'd like to see Evans get it.

However, I think Rooney will get it, disappointingly. From what we've seen this season, Moyes is doing his best to accomodate the guy as much as he can so it won't be a surprise.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
Likewise, every player must be a robot fan of the club. Players may not consider leaving the club, and must not seek contracts which match their value and importance to the club. Even if he scores 250 goals and becomes the club's record goalscorer, he will not be forgiven by the self-proclaimed morally superior fans of this club. This is a travesty. If this is how he is treated by the fans, perhaps he should leave.
I agree. Especially when the reason he asked to leave in the first place echoed the sentiments of the same fans who now hate him.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best

Where is Rafael going?

I realise RVP hasnt played overly well when fit this season. Not sure how he is a "Bottle job of the highest order"

I agree with the Rooney bit though

Revan

Assumptionman
Where is Rafael going?
It is the most pointelss rumour so far. A lot of media are saying that Moyes doesn't fancy him and will get rid on the summer, but the game against Stoke was te first game this season in the league where Rafael was fully fit and didn't started. A complete non story IMO so I found it weird how some fans stick with it.

Giggsforever

Rooney should get the new contract signed soon and the captaincy in the summer. That is him sorted for his career and it will be a great step for us to be a force for years to come.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Stafford, Roberts, Spence, Carey, Byrne, Foulkes, Cantwell, Charlton, Buchan, Wilkins, Robson, Bruce, Cantona, Neville...

People who led from the front and had the club's best interest at heart.

Real leadership on and off the pitch.

Rooney isn't anywhere near that list.

Evans or Fletch…they understand and appreciate what it means to be a Manchester United footballer and captain and are not interested in inflating their salary or joining any other club.

Fletch would be an automatic choice if fit…and the thought of giving the captaincy to someone like Rooney just to keep him at the club makes me sick.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
A captain needs some sense of diplomacy and be able to string a few sentences on and off the pitch. Fletcher if a regular would be an ideal candidate. I'd not mind RvP given the job. He would represent the club well.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In and ideal world it would be Fletcher. Even RvP would be a good choice.

I'm sure it'll be Rooney though, as picking anyone else would be the sort of snub that could see him throwing a hissy fit and pushing to leave. Which is exactly why he shouldn't be captain, really.

Plugsy

Rooney if he stays, Fletcher if Rooney leaves.
Fletcher would be a terrible captain on account of the fact he's not terribly likely to be awfully regular in the team after the summer window, if all goes well. I've never been able to abide a sideline captain. It needs to be someone who's more often that not playing. I don't think this is a particularly absonant expectation; that the captain should be an automatic starter, less injury, suspensions or routine squad rotation.

roseguy64

Fletcher would be a terrible captain on account of the fact he's not terribly likely to be awfully regular in the team after the summer window, if all goes well. I've never been able to abide a sideline captain. It needs to be someone who's more often that not playing. I don't think this is a particularly absonant expectation; that the captain should be an automatic starter, less injury, suspensions or routine squad rotation.
Wasn't it fun though having Neville as club captain and Vidic as team captain?

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
A captain needs some sense of diplomacy and be able to string a few sentences on and off the pitch. Fletcher if a regular would be an ideal candidate. I'd not mind RvP given the job. He would represent the club well.
This point alone would be enough for me to rule out Rooney. The captain is the biggest representer of the team to the public and I don´t see him excelling in this role at all. He also never striked me as a leader on the pitch. He could turn games around by himself because of his top class skills, but he very rarely reignited the fire in the team with his personality.

Then there is of course the point that using the badge as some kind of bargain chip to keep a player is a downright disgusting thought for me and would make me furious as a supporter.

I said it already in a different thread: Darren Fletcher would be my first choice. He has everything a captain would need. I don´t see him not being a regular starter as much of a problem, as long as you have a good vice captain on the pitch. Such a constellation can work out very nicely like it did at my club.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think Persie should get it. Was Arsenal captain and may well be the most experienced regular next season too. Or if we stop fecking about with the defence and play Jones weekly, then perhaps him.

surf

Should be Rooney. Come summer he'll probably be the senior man in the squad (over 400 games, over 200 goals).
Will be Rooney, unless he moves this summer.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
When was the last time we had a captain who was first pick on the team sheet? Even when Vidic got the armband, he was in and out of the side with injuries and being rested now and then because his fitness was a concern. During Vidic's captaincy, I think Evra led the team out way more times.
Vidic was handed the captains armband in the 2010-2011 season when he was a constant starter. It was only the following season when he started to pick up injuries before the season long one against Basle.

ricky-romeo

it is going to be rooney, granted he signs a new contract. it is on the cards.

the list would probably look something like this.
rooney
fletcher
van persie
evans
jones