Carlo Ancelotti: Everton manager

el3mel

He would do well imho because foundation is good and his reputation took a big hit, so he can quickly re-establish himself.
Doubt it. Can't see it working at all and will probably be his last job at top flight.

Schneckerl

Huge respect for Carlo's past accomplishments, but I would be surprised if this ends up being successful.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
I bet he wears a jacket in the rain. A real sign of weakness.
Nothing to do with football but I think you look like a bit of a twit when you take your jacket off in the rain.. Trying too hard to be Macho !!

FujiVice

Everton have a lot of money to throw around, so its not like he's taking the Brighton job. At this stage of his life, earning a small fortune and the ability to spend money in an elite league is a good move for him.

Also shows how fecked Arsenal are, which is always funny.

mu4c_20le

I'm glad he didn't go to Arsenal, he's too good for them. Everton are alot better than their league position and he'll steady the ship for th em, get them smiling again. I'm actually surprised they didn't go for Moyes, thought he had it in the bag..

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Quite the appointment for them. Honestly I've never been that worried about their appointments since I've been supporting Liverpool, but this one is genuinely impressive.

No idea why Arsenal didn't go and try to get him. Seemed like a no brainer for them.
I don't believe he will be a success for them, despite his status he doesn't have a good record of reversing a crisis. Everton need a clear direction right now and not relaxed training methods, I fear it will go very wrong for him.

That said I'm looking forward to welcoming him back to The Bridge when Everton come.

FujiVice

I wish they'd have given it to Van Gaal instead. That would have at least been a laugh.

Jam

Duncan fecking Ferguson over Carlos Ancelotti? What drugs are you on.
Do you want that soft silly tippy tappy continental football or do you want proper English four four fecking two?!

debunkology

Ancelotti was around 40 when Everton had won more league titles than Man Utd. And through his 30s Everton were winning league titles. So he must recognise them as a big club that has 1.) Had absolutely no investment from 1996-2016 and 2.) The 500m they're spent on players since then means there is potential there.

AaronRedDevil

This man was supposed to be a united manger by now. He was my first pick after Klopp. Damn it!

Suedesi

He's failed spectacularly in his last two jobs, and hasn't managed a properly unfancied team in 25 years near enough. He's also known for terrible training sessions and Everton already look like a team without a plan 90% of the games I see them play.

Obviously he's got a pedigree that no Everton manager before has, I could see his reputation lifting the players initially, but I can't see how he builds them into anything substantial when he's never done that in his career really. I also worry whether he's the man for a team that it's not out of the realm of possibility could get relegated if they have a bad year.
He won a league title with Bayern and came second with Napoli - hardly a spectacular failure.

Think he's a decent pick for Everton to arrest their slide

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Reminds me of when Eto'o came under Martinez. Random elite player/manager in the last years of their career that is capable of their moments on their day but i don't reckon it is a great fit for the long term and will all end in tears. Eto'o was great for Lukakus development (all jokes aside please) and popped up with a few moments of magic but ultimately left in January. I just think it will be the same with Ancelotti - he's not the right fit. We need someone young, hungry and passionate. Simeone would be a perfect fit but that's obviously never going to happen so it's about looking at someone that fits that mould in the next level down essentially. Although people have been hating on Big Dunc it's his passion that has instilled the belief into the players so we need someone that can do that but also has the tactical nous.

LVGSdive

Arsenal should be after him. Incredible appointment for Everton if he goes there.

simplyared

Step down for him. Quality manager. Would always associate him with a London club though. Difficult imagining him taking over a club like Everton. He doesn't look like a bloke with dirt under his nails exactly. Although his last club was Napoli so who knows? Can't see him living on Scottie road. He'll be on the Wirral like all the rest of em.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Evertons foundation?
the club is rich and the team good enough to push for upper mid-table already, only needing an internationally experienced manager for the next step ahead? I was thinking of benitez at newcastle, a weird appointment for mutual benefit and shared ambitions for the next 2.5 years?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
What's a realistic goal for Everton in the long term though? It would take hundreds of millions to get them competing for a top four spot.
Like any team these days but surely with this new owner there has to be a plan.

Jacko21

Step down for him. Quality manager. Would always associate him with a London club though. Difficult imagining him taking over a club like Everton. He doesn't look like a bloke with dirt under his nails exactly. Although his last club was Napoli so who knows? Can't see him living on Scottie road. He'll be on the Wirral like all the rest of em.
Or Cheshire / South Manchester.

Plenty favour the commute over living on Merseyside. Don’t blame them.

SambaBoy

I don't get the criticism Arsenal are receiving for not appointing him when every other post is about how Ancelotti can't build a team and needs to go into the right structure and strong team for it to work, which Arsenal is not.

Be interesting to see how he does at Everton. I suspect they will have an upturn in form like most managers at Everton who go on a good run like Silva, Koeman and Martinez.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Another club get a clearly better manager than united. Wtf ev.

The way this season is going a 9 point gap to the top four is not hard to close if they become good now

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
This is a bold play for the GOAT trophy. He'll be doing what so many are saying guardiola needs to do and prove himself at a small club. #legacy

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He would do well imho because foundation is good and his reputation took a big hit, so he can quickly re-establish himself.
Is the foundation good? I feel Everton have thrown a lot of funds around on average talents/players who didn't make it big, which has set them behind the top 8 challengers which they shouldn't be considering the stature of the club. I imagine they've got a strong youth system though so there's definitely potential but I feel Everton are the same boat as us : a football club lacking a modern tactical structure to football. Like us, for me Everton never moved forwards with the times.

Ancelotti is a huge coup for them. I don't think he's a great builder of teams to be honest so he appears to be a misfit but you never know given his accomplishments.

crossy1686

career ending
He's done at the top level. Been criticised at his last two appointments (Bayern and Napoli) for not having intense enough methods for the players. I'm sure he'll do well for Everton because his man management is great but he would have absolutely flopped at Arsenal.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
The People's Club get the People's Eyebrow.

I tend to agree with those who say Everton could do with young, hungry, up and coming manager but that's what they thought they had with Silva, and this is a hell of a coup whichever way you look at it.

Last edited:

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Brilliant for the premier league, a mid table team pulls an elite manager, but not sure he is the right person for Everton. He works well with elite players and world class squads, not relegation fights. But will be interesting to watch. I can totally understand why Arsenal passed (if they weren't turned down) as they need a complete rebuild and Ancelotti has no experience really of that at all.

stu_1992

Really unexpected move this one is. Feels a bit like when Benitez went to Newcastle. Not sure it's a good fit for what they need at the moment though. I've always read that Ancellotti is quite laid back and that his players and training sessions were lacking intensity. That's fine to a point when you're dealing with super talented on-form players, but battling relegation? I'm not so sure.

But if he does steer them away from danger, he should have some pulling power for players next summer. If Everton are willing to spend cash again he could be a decent long term appointment. But there's lots of questions about his short term impact and suitabliltiy for the current job in my opinion. It also says a lot about how far his stock has fallen.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This is a bold play for the GOAT trophy. He'll be doing what so many are saying guardiola needs to do and prove himself at a small club. #legacy
:lol: He isn't in the GOAT conversation. And the only reason he's getting to 'prove' himself at a smaller club is becuase the big boys don't want him. Which obviously isnt the case with Pep.

Or did I miss obvious sarcasm here?